Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Carrying on some discussion from the previous thread, subquests had a handful of uses. One of the main uses was for farming break parts, particularly things like Barioth Claw+s, or Majestic/Stout Horns, where you could get the break, and subquest out without needing to fight a full monster.
It also had uses in some of the gathering quests, like the Roll the Uroktor quest. While you could kill all the Uroktors, you could also just kill a fewer number of rhenoplos or deliver a powderstone.

While they aren't the most useful thing, that's not to say they're without good use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
MH4 is slated for the 3DS, but that's all we know at this point.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
No, but he is in MH4, along with a number of other old monsters, like Gypceros, Congalala, Gendrome, and Khezu.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Eh, I would argue that people overstate the complexity of bowguns. While the bowgun can certainly get complicated depending on what you want to do, I think there's a certain depth that exists for most weapons. Really, all you have to do is choose a few ammo types that the bowgun loads, and go into a quest and shoot the shots. Bring a bunch of fire shots and combines for Royal Ludroth, and you can disregard everything else.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

RuBisCO posted:

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu/monster_hunter_3_ultimate

Am I getting this right? If I complete a quest online, the corresponding quest will also be completed offline? That would be very cool.
As others have discussed, Port Tanzia is essentially Tri U's Guild Hall.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Nah, while current res helps a bit, it's definitely not mandatory and it's not that big of a game changer.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
By mid air slashes, are you referring to the MH4 stuff? Because Tri U doesn't have any of that, except maybe the SnS jump slash, but that's about it.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The SnS is a weapon where you're going to do a lot of jumping in, weaving in and out, rolling out of your combos, and reinitiating a combo after you've rolled.

I think the longest combo is something like Jump Attack (unsheathe attack or X+A), then 4-5 presses of X, and finished with something like 2-3 presses of A without touching the analog stick. If you're holding forward with the Analog stick when you press A, you'll do a shield bash instead of the sword slashes.
Some people prefer to use the combo without the shield bash. One of the last hits in the X series of presses gets you a shield bash into a sword swing, so if you want, you can take out that X input and just go straight to the A inputs. Part of that is because the shield hit doesn't deal optimal damage and is also a bit slow to come out, so decide which way you prefer and go for it.

Roll whenever you need to roll, and try not to overcommit to a combo. If something is going to hit you, it's better to stop swinging than it is to attempt to get a trade hit.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Also press a

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Don't worry about it. Back when I first played Tri, I had the same thought process and experience.

Also, don't forget the irc channel #monsterhunter at irc.synirc.net
Come and see my commentary on how I'm dumb and try to fight a lagiacrus when I should be delivering guts.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Do what I say, not what I do.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I'm dumb and didn't disable WiFi and got table 13, fyi. I'm also on Wii U. Going to get my second round tested soon.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
http://tinyurl.com/cwoqhtb

I wrote up a quick guide on Veggie Elder tickets. If you've been getting them and don't know what they're for, or you know what they do, but don't know what you get, check it out.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Unless you have Capture Master/Tranquilizer, capture rewards occur at a random frequency, so you aren't guaranteed the maximum amount of capture rewards. For gem rates, the rate from carving and the rate from capturing are the same, so carving gives a more consistent chance for getting a gem than capturing would. Ultimately, it's still a matter of luck.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Reginald Bathwater posted:

I've got my hammer set assembled! Sharpness+1, Exploiter, KO, Focus. :getin:
Exploiter is a really mediocre skill now. From +50% affinity to a 5% damage boost. Hooray.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

gwrtheyrn posted:

What food gives lucky? I've never come across it, but I tend to ignore skills and go straight for meat/fish
Drink/Drink, Drink/Dairy, and Drink/Meat can have it. You need to be in high rank to have access to drinks, though.

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

No, thats about right, minus Shadow of the Colossus. That's coming in the next game.

Man I hope I get to climb on the obligatory huge rear end elder dragon.
There's arguably a bit of SotC in things like Lao and Jhen~
But, yeah, for the most part, it isn't.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Here is a handy general damage chart:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii-u/683294-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/faqs/66788

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Unoriginal Name posted:

So what the gently caress controls Gigginox's roar in Ultimate? I just had him roar 7 times in under 45 secs and as a dual sword user, losing and reactivating my demon mode every loving time is infuriating. The fact that he lives on the roof where I can't hit him half the time is annoying enough, but the roars are just loving intolerable.
Gigginox is just one of those scream happy monsters. It's where having things like HGE or Evade+1/+2 comes in handy.

avlein posted:

Sadly, you'll have to hope that you get a Charm+4 Talisman. There's no other armor that innately grants Charmer.

Office Thug posted:

Another question, is there another armor set that grants Charmer skill points? I noticed that the bear X armor set gives only 6 points, with the torso giving nothing and the boots having Torso Up. I'm mining Enduring charms in the tundra right now in the slight hope I might find a charm with 4 or more to Charmer. Apart from that, I know Crystal Jhen parts let you craft charmer decors, but I'm still quite a ways off of fighting him.
I think the Guild Bard set actually has some points in charmer? But, yeah, I would agree with Avlein and that the better option is to try to grind up a Charmer+4 or higher talisman. The gems are really lovely and are not worth making. It's something like 3 Ghostly Quartz (H. Jhen's gem) and 2 Rath Gleem (from Silver/Gold Raths) and is only a one slot, +1 gem.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Reoxygenation posted:

Weren`t they removed in Tri over time? Or was there a rotation?
Yeah, Tri was the exception, where the event quests would rotate in and out as a group. All the other past games have had the same system as MH3G/MH3U, though.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Norns posted:

B is correct.
Do you mind me asking what your information source is on this? I've always been under the impression that you have to deal a specific amount of cutting damage before the tail is detached.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Elemental damage, however, is unaffected by what kind of attacks you're using. It is only affected by your sharpness, and the resistance of the monster part you're hitting. So quick little attacks are best for dishing out a lot of elemental damage.

Most of the time, until you get to the super late game with purple sharpness weapons and poo poo, bringing the right element to a fight will end up being the most effective thing overall. Every connection will stack the raw physical damage and the elemental damage, if the monster is weak to that element they will take big, big amounts of hurt.

The exception is the greatsword, there are so few connections made throughout the fight you're just not doing much elemental damage at all. So always go for raw physical damage.
Sort of half true. DSes actually have modified elemental damage based on the hits. It's kind of weird.

Also, the GS, as someone else pointed out, does give modifiers to elemental damage while charging, so pure raw isn't necessarily the best. I don't exactly recall, but I think the smash level 3 charge has a 300% modifier on elemental damage, for instance.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
When it rains, you can't set up barrel bombs.
But you can use lightning rods.
~hooray~

Cthulhuchan posted:

I believe you are correct, but it isn't much, similar to how in past games you needed a certain amount of a particular elemental damage for a break. Is that even still a thing? I'm guessing not?
I don't know, I was always under the impression that it was like break thresholds, but all the damage has to be cutting. I might go test it out later with bowguns. Shoot a tail with a million Normal shots and see if I only need a slicing shot to finish it off, or something.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
re:Tail Cuts

You do indeed need to deal all cutting damage in order to get the tail off. I made a video showing off how applying other damage does not help:
http://youtu.be/Aq2B_fndk3E

Bussamove posted:

Exhaust phials mean your attacks will make the monster tired (drooling and slow) much faster than they would normally. They won't stun the monster, that's knockout damage you're thinking of and is mainly applied by hammer and hunting horn.
Exhaust phials can actually deal KO damage if you hit the face in sword mode. The only issue is that KO applies like status does on melee weapons, so you aren't guaranteed KO damage. Furthermore, it's probably really mediocre KO damage and doesn't really help out that much.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Who wants to watch a silly Frontier video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCu0XMEYdt4

A gag quest, where the producer of Frontier guest stars.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Unless you're fighting something with a notable weakness to dragon, no, the SnS is not worth making. You're better off using those earth crystals for other upgrades, like the Ancient Shard LBG.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Calaveron posted:

Granny never sells raw meat, only meat for traps and stuff. You probably did a bunch of paw pass stuff and collected a whole lotta beef from that.
No, Grandma Backpack definitely sells raw meat. I have bought several stacks of it (Maybe like 600, give or take 100). Her stock rotates, so it's likely that you missed the times when she had it for sale.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

ChibiSoma posted:

How viable is solo bow? The bowguns are too clunky, but the bow is super simple. Kinda want a change of pace from the dual blades. Getting wrecked by G-Rank Dios. Just gimme one more Ebonshell+ so I can upgrade my DBs you titanic rear end in a top hat! :argh: Thinking of going Kelbi Bow and cheesing the game until 8* is unlocked and I have access to (almost) everything. Dunno what armor I should gun for, but I know I need Awakening on it.

Sound off, bow users, is it worth trying to solo things with a 'support' weapon?
Solo bow is viable, but the bowgun has much better damage potential. Unless you're adrenaline bowing, you're not going to be doing that well with damage output.

Bobnumerotres posted:

May be a dumb question but do monsters all have a universal resistance to slime? Or are there some monsters it doesn't work well on? Like I'd imagine Brachydios takes forever to build up explosions on.
It takes longer to build up slime on Brachydios, but it's still viable against him. Slime is like other statuses, especially like poison, in that each monster has its individual resistance to the particular status, and each monster takes a different amount of damage to Slime. There's also the increased tolerance to slime build up that varies between each monster.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Fruit Chewy posted:

I'd really love to see a source on this because that's the first I've heard of that behavior.
I'm fairly certain that the multiplier is actually 1.2x, not 1.25x. Also, I think Elemental/Attribute phial's boost is usually ~1.2x, but not always, depending on the specific switch axe. Phials that straight up add an attribute on top of a pure raw switch axe, like a Paralysis Phial on the Barroth SA, adds a predetermined amount of Paralysis. As a result, saying that they're like using Awaken isn't too far from the truth. I don't have info on MH3U's stuff, but you can take a look at the MHP3rd values:
http://www.mhf3.com/page/Switch+Axe

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Rainuwastaken posted:

G-Rank missions forced me to give the SnS a second chance, and I have to say I'm rather impressed with it so far. The damage isn't quite on par with what I'm used to, but in one fight against a Rathian, the shield's already saved me half a dozen times from explosion breath catching me with my pants down.

Is the Narga SnS any good with all of that affinity, or is it all element all the time for this thing?
The Narga SnS is cool, just make sure you're hitting something that takes reasonably good raw damage. For instance, don't wail on a Diablos' Horns with a nonelemental SnS. Though, elemental is also plenty good.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Machai posted:

This guide here for dragon/status phials and 1.25 modifiers.

This guide for 1.25 modifiers.
Just an FYI, that's Tri data, and is not necessarily the same as Tri U's data, but the overall premise remains the same. P3rd had some different values in how the phials modified damage, so whether or not Tri U has the same modifiers as Tri is debatable.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Is raw damage or element better on lances? I'm at the spear of prominence and I don't know which path to upgrade through from here. Lance is pretty much my go to weapon for underwater and anything that I feel is annoying enough to warrant blocking a lot.

Also baleful giggi needs to drop more claws :(
Raw and Elemental are both viable lances. Just go with what works well and/or give access to monster weaknesses.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Cedra posted:

Is there ANY benefit to using a HBG over a LBG? I feel that the free shots from Rapid Fire can't be beat by the Siege mode at all.
Keep in mind that rapid firing shots usually divides the damage the individual shot, so if you aren't landing all of the rapid fire shots, you're going to be missing out on damage. Generally speaking, rapid fire is more beneficial as a way to extend the amount of shots you have, rather than really increasing your power. Heavybowguns offer more than just siege mode, but siege mode in itself is pretty great. Admittedly, it can be pretty difficult making full use of the crouch fire, especially when you aren't in a group of other players. But if you can get it off, not needing to reload for clip sizes that get to 30 or something shots is absolutely amazing. Another benefit HBGs have over LBGs is higher firepower, especially when you choose to remove your limiter with a HBG.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Neo_Crimson posted:

Fought and captured the Pelsioth on my first try in less than 15 minutes. I don't know why everyone was going all "gently caress this guy" all the time. :smug:
Because this is 3rd Gen plesioth :v:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Falcon2001 posted:

Can anyone confirm if there's some trick to breaking Nargacuga's wings? I can't seem to do it although I can consistently do it on Barioth. :(

Side note: Gunlancing with Evade+2 and Evade Inc. Finally got the hang of the lance movement strats, and it's amazing how awesome you feel when you're just constantly up in the face of an enemy, hopping through all sorts of poo poo and constantly dealing damage.
The important thing to note about Narga's wings are that they take very little raw damage, especially on the wingblades themselves. Barioth's wings are comparably weaker. If you want to break the wings faster, it's best to get off things like fixed damage explosions, from bombs/shelling/wyvernfire/slime/etc, or to pump elemental damage onto it, preferably lightning or fire.

On a random tangent, I find it strange that elemental weapons have lightning damage, but the bowgun shot is still Thunder S. Oh well.

Office Thug posted:

It's really weird that I find Dire Miralis, who's G-rank, to be a complete cake walk, whereas village Alatreon, who's only high-rank, can kill me out of the blue with only 2 hits. What does event Alatreon do? Straight up 1-hit you regardless of defense?
While it's technically high rank, it has higher damage values than you'd normally see in high rank, comparable to Super Alatreon from Tri, and similar to how the monsters in Mark of the Hero deal somewhat higher amounts of damage than they normally would. Additionally, Miralis is more of a bumbling monster that can fall on you, with a large radius of attack. Alatreon's a more engaging and aggressive fight, which I find to be much more enjoyable.

DoctorWhat posted:

So, this "Tenebra" LS I got from one of the recent DLC quests... Is it worth sinking time into? Because aurally and visually it's even more kickass than :black101:CHAINSLAUGHTER:black101:. That swoosh noise!
It's cool, but unfortunately it does not upgrade well. It'll suffice for high rank, but having no upgrades makes it bad for G Rank.

Office Thug posted:

Going by P3rd values it seems that hammers have both generally higher damage multipliers and raw damage to boot.
As someone already mentioned, you have to keep the movesets in mind. While Hammers can hit harder, in order to do that, you need to be able to get off golf swings. You can opt for charge attacks, but those also take a second or so to charge up and position for the hit. When comparing HH and Hammer damage, a lot of people say that the HH deals sustained damage, while Hammers deal burst damage. HH's can keep up their damage by getting in bops here and there, while hammers need to get off those big hits. So for general play, they're kind of comparable. Of course, when you get really baller and can get off those bursts with high frequency, you're going to outpace Hunting Horns.

Bugamol posted:

Highest raw damage doesn't necessarily equate into "most damage". There's all kinds of formulas involved for each type of swing. Where X attack does Y% damage. Some as low as 10-20%. So if you have 1000 raw damage but are only doing 10% damage per swing you're really only doing 100 raw damage.

You can find a lot of the Tri data online for what % damage each type of attack does. It's probably fairly close to Tri U values.
Don't forget that Tri is missing a number of weapons that Tri U possesses :v: P3rd's damage FAQs are probably better to refer to until Tri U's are better understood.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

PikaPuff posted:

Tenebra was in Tri, so I see why it was designed and only good enough for high rank, since Tri had no G rank. (Don't explain why the shark lance did get upgrades to work in G though [because it's awesome]). I think the same can be seen in the two lances made from a DLC quest. The normal lance only upgrades to high rank quality, but the gunlance that wasn't in Tri can upgrade to a g rank quality.
The gunlance wasn't in Tri, but it was in P3rd, which also didn't have a G rank, and it was actually three separate gunlances with three separate event quests. Which weapons getwhat upgrades is pretty arbitrary, but that's not really a point worth arguing.

Ciaphas posted:

I'd like to give hunting horns a try since I rather like hammers, but memorizing the useful songs and making sure they're all up on everyone for each weapon you craft IN ADDITION to all the usual crap that goes on in a hunt would make my head spin. :(
You can always check your equipment page for the songs and memorize them for the short term. That's what I usually do. If you play with the HHs enough, you'll eventually memorize them from having used them so much.

Ciaphas posted:

Yes, stand next to the face instead of in front of it, thank you. The problem I have is if I'm standing next to the face that's when he takes off and pressures me out of the way. Or does his tailspin and whacks me far enough away to eat a fireball by the time I've recovered.
If the rage mode take off fireball is wrecking you, anticipate the enrage, and roll into its left foot (your right). When it roars, it takes a step forward, and that'll give you a small flinch that'll keep you free from roar stun. If the tailspin is getting you and you're using a weapon that can roll, learn the timing to roll under the tailspin. Being able to roll under tailspins, especially as a hammer user, is quite helpful.

Nahxela fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 23, 2013

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

T.G. Xarbala posted:

How good are you at gunning people? I find having a decent gun, a load of ammo, and staying far away is a good tactic for dealing with tough enemies. Especially if they're the sort that are most dangerous up close. I prefer light bowguns for the rapid fire and good mobility, but a lot of people swear by the sheer firepower that heavy bowguns bring to the table. (I'm just not good enough at gunning yet, I imagine.)

Gigginox's poison balls can be blocked by shield but its AoE cloud can't, I think.
As long as far away isn't more than about 3 rolls from the monster when you're using normal/pierce/pellet shot, then that's good. Those three shot types have distance modifiers on their damage, so if you're too far, you can end up dealing minimal damage (far enough and the shots will actually make bouncing noises).

The poison fart needs the Guard Up/Inc skill to block.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
As far as I'm aware, you don't need guard up for roars, but yeah, the main thing is making sure you're guarding in the right direction, against an oncoming roar.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Thanks, was wondering about that.

I take it elemental shots are good for sniping then?
Yep, Elemental Shots don't have distance modifiers, so as long as you're landing the shots on spots that take good damage from the element, you're all good.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Agnaktor clacks while he sleeps.
Plesioth wheezes and sounds like he has sleep apnea.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
In Moga Island, I think he actually does sleep in the water. Down at the bottom of that big water only area (Area 11, I think?), near where the Sharqs usually spawn.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Ciaphas posted:

Does any damage to the head eventually cause a stun (even if cutting weapons are really bad at it), or is it literally only impact damage? Is there a difference between stun and KO or just two different words for the same thing?

I keep meaning to try the hunting horn but I get all :ohdear: if I can't cut tails, even if the monster's tail doesn't have a part I want. I'm weird and terrible like that.
It has to be KO/Stun damage, not any other type or impact damage. You can have KO damage without impact damage, like if you use Punishing Draw, and you can have impact damage without KO damage, like with the lance's weird damage calculation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Bobnumerotres posted:

What makes the Kelbi bow so incredible? Just that it can fire slime shots?
With awaken, it gets a lot of slime. To apply the slime efficiently, you don't even need to charge the bow. You just mash fire while at close enough range, and you're good to go.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I'd like to get back in to greatswording, but it's been a long time since I mained it in FU and I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing. In FU I went for level 3 charges pretty much all the time and I'm wondering if that was at all the right approach, considering how long it took me to kill stuff in FU vs how long it takes me to kill stuff in tri.
That's more or less the same tactic you should be going for with the GS. In this game, charges also give multipliers to elemental damage, so it gives elemental GSes more worth than they did in the past. Crit Draw builds are still plenty good.

• Locked thread