Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu/monster_hunter_3_ultimate

quote:

The fact that your deeds and records in Port Tanzia translate across single player, local multiplayer and online also takes away the unnecessary grinding, and allows focus on moving to bigger monsters and challenges.

Am I getting this right? If I complete a quest online, the corresponding quest will also be completed offline? That would be very cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Six Of Spades posted:

I think I have just hit the stage where my feelings about MH3U have gone from "I'm having reasonable fun" to "Holy poo poo this rules, I want to make everything." What did it for me was trying out the hunting horn for the first time. I just smashed a bug into atoms with a metal bagpipe, and it was the best feeling ever. While I played a tiny bit of the Wii game, i didn't get far and had no one to play with. I'm now midway through the desert area.

But I'm not sure about the best way to kill the bugs without breaking them. I know I'm meant to use poison, but not how to get poison attacks. Is it a bowgun thing (I'm awful when it comes to shooters in games and haven't touched guns yet)? The armour from the bugs is beautiful, and I absolutely must be a Fabulous Butterfly Combat Musician.

There's one early mission that involves killing 12 Bananas in the Flooded Forest. It gives you two smoke bombs that you can use (though in terms of attacks, yes, you'd have to use a bowgun) to kill the bugs.

The mission also gives you some Banana parts at the end quest screen. I ran it 5~6 times to get my pretty bug princess armour.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Crimson Qurupeco is a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Eruonen posted:

So this fishlady charm table calculating webpage kinda works.

http://mhvuze.de/3ucharm/fishEN/index2.html

I had 5 tabs open and kept retrying until I got through. Probably took about 50 tries.
Tip: Fill in the form once and duplicate the tab (this works in Chrome, not sure about the other browsers)

This worked for a friend of mine. He can finally get started now. Thank you.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Are there any quests that give the option of kill or capture? If so, is there any reason not to go for the capture? I couldn't believe how many extra items I got from that.

In "Hunt" missions you can kill or capture, but "Capture" missions you have to capture. There are some monsters that only have certain drops from carves (Fearsome Maw from Gigginox comes to mind) but generally, capturing is more efficient than killing. You just have to bring your own traps and tranquilizers.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Can armour no longer be coloured? I remember being able to set three colours after being Lagiacrus and having a gradient from High Rank on. I've been Lagiacrus and reached High Rank (though I guess I haven't actually made any High Rank armour).

I'm on the 3DS, if it matters.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

I love that the Brady games guide watermarks your name in each corner of every page.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

ChibiSoma posted:

Chacha. Kayamba. Get out of the loving car.

They've gotten me killed for the last time! 40 minutes down the drain because those dumbasses decided "Hey, the Pink Rathian's angry and at her nest in the Peak - I know what I'll do, I'll run over to where my minion is standing, with all of 10HP, poisoned from her taking off into the air!"

Thanks, Chacha! Thanks, Kayamba! That was the third death you've been directly responsible for. On that one mission. Every single time I've died it was because Rathian got mad and they bee-lined at me. Which is great, because I ran out of antidotes quite early and was doing all I could to keep alive. When they killed me and made me fail the mission I was about 2 steps from exiting zone 2 so I could go rest at the bed at base camp to come back and finish her off. She was limping and I'd gotten a long combo with a knockdown in when she got mad. I almost had it. That's the worst kind of loss. When you're almost there but because something stupid happened, you have to start all over again. Minus resupply fees.

I wanna see what kind of AI programming went into those two. Because with how they act, it must've taken 2 hours with a 1 hour lunch break in the middle. I'm booting them and flying solo. All they do is get me killed. Armor can't get any better than it currently is. I've Armor Sphered it up as much as I can with the current level I have access to. Just gotta bring double the antidote supplies and no useless Shakalakas next time I try taking out a Pink Rathian.

I can't be the only one they keep killing. You guys have any stories of them suddenly deciding to be cowards and leading an enraged monster straight into you?

I gave both Cha-Cha and Kayamba the Healing (L) dance combination and stuck the Fluffy and Nulberry mask on them. They heal the poo poo out of me and gather tons of crap lying around.

I love the little guys :shobon:.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Barioth is the most adorable cat when you break off both its wings, its face, cut off its tails, and completely exhaust it.

:3:.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Static Rook posted:

Yeah, I was wondering about the armor, too. I made the Mail and Greaves for the Qurupeco set but none of the other options were showing up. Looking at the wiki, turns out I've never picked up a Wonderful Beak or a Scale+. I'm guessing those are things you cut off when you're fighting Quru? Or they're only on the Crimson Quru? Also, looking at the Wiki again, it says to "overforge" the Quru armor. What does that mean?

I also had spare parts to make the Secta Nulo SnS. I like! The Dual Swords feel "spammy" to me, but the Sword and Shield are fast, too, and more controllable. So now I'm trying to upgrade 4 weapons :sigh: . Hammer is still my main, but these will be fun to mess around with when I want to switch things up.

Wonderful Beak and Scale+ drop off of High Rank Qurupeco. Which is marginally better than a Crimson Qurupeco.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yeah, the whole "know the enemy's moveset" thing for Hammers and Dual Blades? That applies to Greatswords, but times a million.

Knowing the exact time to let go a level 3 charge on the head will never not be immensely satisfying.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Carecat posted:

I got some useful advice on capturing from a Monster Hunter pro, to reliably capture a monster just attack it it until it limps, it doesn't get any health just for changing zones so you can follow a limping monster then trap and tranq it right away.

A note to add on to this. The reason why I think a couple of people in this thread mention that the monster dies before limping is that this will not happen if you're already fighting in the zone the monster rests in.
A monster always limps back to where it goes to sleep, if it's already where it needs to go then well...

Normally this won't be the case but through unpredictable circumstances (Cha-Cha tossing dung bombs everywhere or whatever) it can be a thing.

Most rest places are pretty obvious and they're always the same for each individual monster. The Brady guide has a good list of each place for each monster, on each map.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

I think I want to start using Gunlances. What are the types of skills a Gunlance user wants to have because I'm at a loss. Checking the wiki isn't terribly useful either because I can't tell what is oudated information and what isn't.

Definitely Razor Sharp or Speed Sharpening. Evasion skills would probably be just as good for Gunlance as they are for Lance.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

ChibiSoma posted:

What's good armor to make for fighting Brachy? Been running around in HR Wroggi and beefing it up fairly well. Think I have enough Hard Spheres to get one more full round of upgrades off, if it's even worth doing. Was kinda hoping the Jhen fight would've happened by now, honestly. Get all the mats for the ship and then you get no payoff for it for a long time. That the Urgent quest to get into the 9-star stuff?

I found Barioth armour pretty effective with him. Evasion is definitely the way to go, as opposed to blocking his attacks. Not to mention Constitution will help with how much you'll have to roll around to get that green poo poo off you, if need be.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Moldy Taxes posted:

The saddest thing about MH3's servers going down next month is that I'll never be able to visit my princely online estate again.

Same thing with the King Room in MH1. Those were such a nice symbol of your online progress.

I'm incredibly depressed that all we get in 3U is a dinky boat.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Funkmaster General posted:

I got a Nibel in a pit trap. It didn't go off when I set it next to his sleeping body so I thought he was immune but after I woke him up he walked into it and went down. I'm actually fairly certain no monster is immune to any traps in this version, as I've yet to see one fail even in cases where I assumed they would. Burrowing monsters can still destroy traps, though (shock traps at least).

A fully charged up Zinogre laughs at Shock Traps.

I found that out the hard way :saddowns:.

edit: Yeah, but Shock Traps are usually at least adequate to capture a giant rear end monster. Zinogre just blows it the gently caress up.
vvvv

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 1, 2013

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Just busted my punk rear end through to G-Rank.

I'm on the 3DS.

I'm so lonely :negative:.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Trying to get two Nargacuga mantles will literally, literally kill me.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Moldy Taxes posted:

There should be an option to change how you want the game to have you dodge, either oriented with t the camera or the character model. I prefer the latter, but it took some getting used to.

There is. Check the options. I have it set for character orientation.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Additionally stuff the Fluffy/Nulberry mask on Cha-Cha/Kayamba. Usually means an extra chance each at getting whatever from a carve.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Would Stamina Thief or Knockout King be more desired for hammers?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

dvorak posted:

So like, is it supposed to be possible to roll through attacks? I've been intuitively rolling and attacking through attacks and I want to make sure that it's even possible, or I'm just getting lucky and dodging super close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l63sBcfdMT8

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

Is there a way to upgrade the meats? Or is it thorny meat and moss pork forever?

I've done food upgrade village requests and the lovely thing is it wont even upgrade foods to give you more max hp, just other benefits.

There are canteen quests for the guild as well.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is there a better way to get ice crystals than doing the F. Forest gathering tour? I'm lucky if I get one or two crystals a run.

(I did get a Slime C+ +6 charm, whatever that is.)

Go mine in the cave area of Sandy Plains. Or better yet, go mine at the Tundra.

Fungah! posted:

I'm 99% sure the answer's yes, but regular Jhen Mohran does drop Elder Dragon Blood, right? I'm not minutes away from wasting a shitload of time?

Also, I'd like to go on record as saying I miss having non-large Elder Dragons in the game. Don't really want to do Ceadeus every time I need blood.

Yeah, Jhen drops Elder Dragon Blood.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Soo, this just happened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxd_V1P_Vhs
Monster Hunter Online, Capcom/Tencent developed on the Cry3 engine.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

LornMarkus posted:

Alright, I'm more than a little tired of being almost out of Meat.

Anyone got a better method for getting the drat stuff other than just going out on Free Hunts and murdering Aptonoth and such?

Harvest tours will get you a couple. I accumulated a whole bunch by picking them up after gathering tours.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Chronojam posted:

I was hunting a C. Pecco and while chasing him back to the nest in Flooded Forest, came across a sparkly. It was an Evil Joe talon. Where did this come from? Besides Joe, I mean.

Jho probably had a bite to eat and drooled everywhere. Such horrible table manners.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Rainuwastaken posted:

So I've been trying out the GS and am convinced it's pretty much the most satisfying thing ever. What armor skills am I looking for, assuming I have access to early G-rank stuff? Currently using Rathian X, which isn't the best set but it lets me not worry about lugging around nutrients for after I croak.

I know Crit Draw and Fast Charge are both lovely, but what else is good?

Punishing Draw is also decent and Fast Sheathe is really handy to have on Greatsword. Other than that, general skills like Sharpness+1 or Attack Up Large are also good.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/642342-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/66027135

I've been hunting for rare poo poo wrong this entire time :smith:.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Dinotron posted:

I haven't had a lot of time to play lately so I just now got into G rank. I'm trying to upgrade some of my gunlances, but they both need some fucium ore and conflagrant sacs. I'm assuming that conflagrant sacs are a GR Rath drop, but where is a good place to farm fucium in G rank? Am I better off looking for it in HR Volcano instead?

Fucium is a semi-rare mine on Sandy Plains and Tundra but Volcano is where it drops the most. That said, if you only need a handful getting it out of the way in HR6 wouldn't be impossible. You're right about conglagrant sacs, they drop from either of the Rath*s at g-rank.

I just got past Dire Miralis after chugging every single one of my healing items. Skyrocketed to HR51 :stare:.

Unlocked RGB pigment colours and that makes it all worth it.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

If Rathalos does his turn, turn, CHAERG FORWARD thing one more goddamn time I'm going to attempt to snap my gamepad in two I swear to god. What in the hell are you supposed to do to him when, even when exhausted, you can't get anywhere NEAR his head (or indeed near him at all) without getting loving clobbered?

Time a Greatsword charge so that he turns directly into a level 3 slam.

:smug:.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

A little late on the Ancient Shard bowgun talk, but would removing the limiter be worth it? It has a huge breadth of ammo types available to load but is that better than rapid fire Normal 2/Crag 1? Assuming with Rapid Fire Up.

Note: I don't know anything about bowguns.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Solo'd g-rank jhen after several failed attemps and a gruelling 30 minute battle.

Carved 8 rockskins.

Absolutely nothing of worth in rewards screen.

Monster hunter.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Awesome! posted:

What is the most effective way to farm dung?

A question I have never imagined asking before in my life.

Keep doing quests until the Granny sells them dirt cheap.

^^^^
edit: Doesn't matter, either one will cycle a "day". Granny changes her stock every day so keep cycling them until she sells poop. Bringing two Kelbi horns and doing village HR1 "Prescription Pick Up" would probably be the fastest way.

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 2, 2013

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Do you mind posting your build? I tried doing it with Brachydios X with max dual slicers & Critical Eye +3 and it wasn't enough. Jhen blew up the boat with its sand breath at 42 minutes when the gong, the binder, and the dragonator were on cooldown.

Sure.

code:
Grongigas Hammer

Selene Helm Z
Selene Mail X
Selene Vambraces X
Selene Coil X
Selene Greaves X

Handicraft +4 Talisman

Skills:
Earplugs, Awaken, Bombardier, Sharpness+1, Partbreaker
The massive attack + slime is the only way I manage to kill him before the ship, usually around the half hour mark. If you lasted for 42 minutes you're probably way better at manning the ship than I am.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Finally put together my Great Sword set:

Sharpness+1, Critical Draw, Focus, Quick Sheathe.

Diablos Greatsword with 1488 attack and purple sharpness.

:getin:.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Ignimbrite posted:

That is a Most Excellent GS set, what armour mix are you using? Ceadeus Z and diablos bits?

Boco_T posted:

Mine's got Diablos X helm/chest, Rhenoplos arms, Lambent Sash (L. Narga) and Scholar's Socks. +6 Sheathing is the charm, but Athena's says you can also build it with a +3 Sheathing and slot charm or even any 3 slot charm, although with the 3 slot charm you end up with Slow Sharpening.

This is more or less mine, but with G-rank Jhen waist and Uragaan Legs. Also a +6 sheathing charm.

Give Athena's rear end a shot, it really lets you cobble together some insane sets.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

FedoraDefender420 posted:

Hallowed Jhen has ridiculous requirements about capturing every monster, Angry Joe doesn't even have a quest and only turns up randomly I think.

This is incorrect. You only have to hunt every monster (except for Lucent Nargacuga, Abyssal Lagiacrus, and Savage Jho). Capturing them doesn't matter.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

RuBisCO posted:

Solo'd g-rank jhen after several failed attemps and a gruelling 30 minute battle.

Carved 8 rockskins.

Absolutely nothing of worth in rewards screen.

Monster hunter.

Solo'd Hallowed Jhen after a single try.

Carved 2 Dragonsphires.

Monster Hunter :unsmith:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Boco_T posted:

http://shop.capcom.com/store/capcomus/list/categoryID.53786900/monster-hunter.html

It says the XL one is sold out, but as you can see you can order the second run of the regular size 3DS version so I bet they'll do a second run of the XL version soon.

I wish I could get that Monster Hunter Illustrations book but I think it's out of print and gone for good.

I've got good news for you.

http://www.udonentertainment.com/blog/tag/monster-hunter-illustrations/

• Locked thread