Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Seriously do not gently caress around with charm tables, the cursed ones are so broken it sounds like a glitch, but hasn't been fixed in the year or so the game has been out in Japan. Bad charm tables have anywhere between 216-800 possible charms, and proper ones have 21,600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

I have ordered my CPPXL from japan, drat that thing looks sleek.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

Well, I've sunk 1000+ hours solo into unite and p3rd. There probably will be a few more brick difficulty walls than if you have buddies, but it should be doable, even if you have to resort to slime when they expect you to fight 2 g-rank jinougas who refuse to separate or whatever.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

The frontier metagame involves not letting the monster move at all while maximising dps until it falls over.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

gently caress you all it doesn't come here until saturday

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

Scarier bitier ones.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

Mugaaz posted:

Anyone know if there are any good rewards from arena? Should I bother, or waste of time?

If nothing has changed, you can get a Sword-Saint Piercing (head slot, full fencing skill), and Barrage Piercing (head slot, load up skill), for completing all missions with all weapons and s-ranking all missions with one weapon each.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

Did they go back on normalising the weapon damages?

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

You get to a point where you don't really need to worry about money, because you'll have like 30 spare ThckRthlsScls or whatever from trying to get that one rare drop.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

The only time to worry about maximising dps with the hammer is when you have a ko, otherwise get hits in where you can. When a monster is KO'd you can reliably do X-X-X-R-X-X-X-X which is a smooth combo of triplepounds with a level 1 charged strike in the middle you can use to reposition if you need to.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

I've only made Barroth and Alloy armour and now suddenly high-rank things are hurting me a lot, what is a good gunlance set for early high rank?

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Got three questions;
1: What's the point of killing big monsters in free hunt aside from resources. I killed a Lagicrus that scared the poo poo out of me (I saw a R. Ludroth on the forcast; it swam to 12 and after killing it and leaving Lagi just suddenly materialized in 11) and it didn't seem worth all the potions I burned just for 3 items. I know capturing gives you more rewards or something but how does that work in free hunt?

2: I made a really awesome switch axe and... shamefully just learned there's a x+a attack with them. Thing is it seems entirely pointless. My dude just does a wimpy thrust with the glowing sword and not really seeing why I would ever want to use it. (Then again I feel the same way about the giant swing as it's so slow and can't really combo)

3: Where's the felyne mask? A friend said I should get it for the true monster hunter experience but it hasn't cropped up in the requests yet and I'm nearing the end of the story (I think)

1. You get good commodities for the "Rare Trade" with the argosy captain, which is really useful stuff like powercharms and later combo books.

2. You have to mash the X+A with sword to do the crazy phial burst which uses up your sword-power.

3. The "True Monster Hunter Experience" is having a felyne companion constantly throw bombs at you and send you flying. Felyne mask makes Cha-Cha go bomb-crazy.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

Where the hell do I get burst arrowna? I need my marine fisher dammit.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

Brachydios is an amazing fight. What parts should I be focusing on? I pretty much need all of his weapons because they look amazing. Was using a water gunlance, but the lack of mobility is a bit troublesome, will probably try SnS with Volvidon armour.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

Seemenaked posted:

Killed my first deviljho and realized his set got nerfed just like the ceadeus one. Has anyone found a set that gives sharpness+1 yet? I am on table 6 too and have yet to see any good charms. I did decide though that deviljho's set is nice enough that I may have found a replacement for my wraggi set. I've gotten pretty used to my cowboy getup though so it'll be a hard one to give up.

I miss Helios+ Chest and Arms with Helios Coil and Legs. High grade earplugs and Sharpness +1 with helmet and talisman spare? Yes please. I think they prefer to nerf high and low rank stuff than give out ridiculous skills on G-rank.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

You have to carry the charms.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

I always thought that Urugaan looks like that "Forever Alone" face from those dumb reddit comics.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

If you are just playing solo, i'd recommend doing the whole village quests, as they are better balanced for solo play, and naturally progress you through upgrading the farm and companions, which I don't think you can do at the port. My plan, which I used in freedom unite was to basically exhaust the village totally before blazing through the low/high rank guild quests to get access to g-rank.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

What the hell? Does critical draw even exist before G-rank? I'm trying to make a GS set to solo goldilocks, but none of the gems have shown up and I can't find the skill on any armour.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

Got the loving goldbeard down. Is there a trick to avoiding the giant sweeping water beam when he just fucks off to the top or bottom and snipes you? I was just eating it every time.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

Oh well, at least in this you can get the farm to make stacks of what you actually need instead of being bottlenecked by 4-6 honey per quest, which you need for energy drinks, mega potions, max potions etc.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

Was it in Moga Freehunt? I bet there's silly AI glitches from monsters getting thrown in there.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

I think the skill you need is Wind-Res, which you can get on the Alloy Armour. You may need 15 points for his landing, the armour only gives 10.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

I wish there was a cannon mask that would make it turn into a siege tank for one huge shot or something.
You mean like the artillery mask that turns Cha-Cha into a cannon and shoots Kayamba out when you signal?

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

How does the Unscathed skill compare to Adrenaline+2? I'm looking at making a balls-to-the-wall greatsword set to work with one hit flinch timings.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

I just wiped 48 minutes into Dire Mirialis. He just constantly snags me at weird angles with his movement and does too much damage for walking around so I can't hit any level 3 charges.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

Fungah! posted:

Ugh, I just checked and I need 167 more iron ore to upgrade my Iron Impact all the way up to Onslaught. Please, please tell me there's a way to get those in bulk that I'm forgetting about right now.

On the plus side, finally hit G-Rank tonight :getin:

You can forge Anvil Hammer straight up for 50 iron, 15 Eltalite and 10 Steel Uragaan Carapace, don't know how much it saves, but it skips 50 iron going from Iron Striker+ to Iron Impact.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

Diablos is absolutely disgusting without a heavy shield, but I feel like such a wuss hiding behind a G+2 gunlance for half an hour to beat him. All his charges seem to require a dive to avoid, plus he has lovely gen-1 hitboxes on half of his attacks.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

I think people really underestimate axe-mode's usefulness. I find the sword mode only works for me when the monster is disabled in some way (or is a fat, slow elder dragon), and I can sneak a lot more hits in with axe mode, as well as smack raths out of the air.
Maybe i'm just a weapon hipster, but sword and shield is also good.

A few questions: How do I get to fight ANGRY joe, I've reached about HR30, does he have obscure requirements? Where do I get "Elder Dragonbone"?

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

I think its all attacks that already drain stamina, so impact weapons, shield bashes, arrow rain, crag/exhaust shot etc.

I love how over the top item descriptions get in this game. "A Hammer of shocking weight and might. A good, strong swing could decimate all of creation"

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

I've got my hammer set assembled! Sharpness+1, Exploiter, KO, Focus. :getin:

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

Fungah! posted:

What the heck set are you using to get that? I spent an hour with rear end trying to come up with a way to get all those and came up with bupkis.

The set uses a 2 slot weapon and a +6 KO charm
code:
Weapon          - KO OO
Helios Helm Z   - Focus OOO
Lagia X Chest   - Exploiter O
Lagia X Arms    - Exploiter O
Vangis Coil
Vangis X Legs   - KO O Focus O
The Duramboros is probably the best raw hammer overall, not too hard to make unless Flutterflies hate you.
I love building Frankenarmour sets, its a shame about exploiter though.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

Sometimes Brachy just stomps explosions on you forever until you die.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

KO damage = Exhaust damage to the head.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

Ceanataur (sharp crab) S is incredible, you can get Sharpness+1, Razor Sharp, Attack up Large iirc

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

Also, my only issue with meat is the cooking. While hearing "Sooo tasty!" is awesome having to go out, cook, come in, get more, go out, cook, etc. to stack up well done steaks is pretty bad. Wish there was an NPC you could talk to that would auto-cook steaks for a price.

There used to be but capcom cut it because

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

The 10-spit let you mass produce dash-juice though, sad to see it go.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

I feel like Greatswords were easier in Freedom Unite, because the monsters were dumber. I used to be able to set up a perfect L3 charge on rathalos' head every time he went up, but now he hovers with his squishy parts out of reach. With Crit-draw and fast sheathe, the Greatsword suddenly becomes very mobile and evasion friendly, since you can sprint and dive whenever.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

Marco D. Sanchez posted:

Been there. It was a stupid idea to do it with the greatsword

Once you know his patterns, GS is fantastic against Goldilocks, pretty much every attack lets you get a L3 on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

There is nothing better than setting up a level 3 greatsword charge in a random position aimed at nothing and having Narga hop into your sword and get smacked out of the air.

• Locked thread