Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
You lucky bastards in the US get everything early. 3 days more have never felt longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Funkmaster General posted:

I also say "Please-ee-oth" and I often hear "Pless-ee-oth." Verdict?

Edoraz posted:

I say Plesioth as piece-of-poo poo.

It's pronounced "F I S H A S S H O L E".

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Helion posted:

So what is the drive to keep playing? Does new gear open up new abilities or new movesets, or is the sole thing driving you onward cosmetic/passive abilities and the excitement of new monsters?

As you go through monsters and their armour and weapons, you work your way through a tiered list of quests, increasing in difficulty. Once you reach a certain point you can advance into the next rank (the three ranks are low rank, high rank and G rank) and get access to better weapons and armour. Higher ranked armour has better skills and the G rank armours look different to the lower ranked ones. There are also monsters only available at higher ranks. But there's no story line or anything. It's just your desire to kill giant monsters and wear their heads as helmets. :black101:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just got home; never played MH before so quite unsure how to do this charm thing... but here it goes I guess!

The charm stuff is actually really, really arcane even for monster hunter. It only really matters to bother with if you don't want to get a crummy table (you don't want to get a crummy table and the method for getting onto one of the good tables is simple and in the OP).

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Nahxela posted:

Don't worry about it. Back when I first played Tri, I had the same thought process and experience.

Also, don't forget the irc channel #monsterhunter at irc.synirc.net
Come and see my commentary on how I'm dumb and try to fight a lagiacrus when I should be delivering guts.

Also forgetting to turn the wifi off when trying to get charm table 10 and having to do it over again.

A lesson in practice.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh I'm sure it is; and I'm sure lagicrus is probably small time or something :shobon:

Lagiacrus is middle of the line monster, on the high end of the scale. There are other aquatic enemies though :v:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

dvorak posted:

I love long swords, drat. I don't know why I never messed with them before. Forget blocking, they rule.

Also I'm having some insane luck with drops in this game. I got like 3 Barroth Scalps in one run. In Tri, it took quite a few.

Just don't go around swinging with the r-trigger attack near your team-mates, it trips them like anything.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Is the charm table on the 3ds version as well?

Yes.The tables are just the seed your games' RNG are set to for what charms you get.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

DoktorSandvich posted:

I got table 13, and it seems it's the worst of the good tables.

Should I be worried? How much is it actually going to effect me in the late game?

Well, you only have access to 1/10th of the amount of charms that are on the non-cursed tables, the charms that you do have available to you are not that great, and you might not even be able to get access to a whole set of weapons (rusted and ancient weapons). Better to start a new character over.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

The_North posted:

No no no; 13 isn't a cursed table. It's a good table. It has the same number of charms as table 10. According to the description, it doesn't have a lot of high level stand-out charms, but the chances that you'd get one of those is pretty slim.

If it bothers you that you can get the super best charms, then restart. Otherwise, you should be fine with your big table.

Damnit I read that wrong sorry and I should have realised DoktorSandvich said 13, I know it's not cursed, why did I say that. Yeah. Restart if you care that much about getting the best skills, but otherwise you should be fine with table 13.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 20, 2013

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Detective No. 27 posted:

If this is my first Monster Hunter, can I just ignore the charm table stuff? All this talk of charm tables is giving me Pokemon EV/IV flashbacks, and I don't want to worry about those again until at least a month after X/Y come out.

Except this isn't just something that only matters in the metagame, getting a bum charm table will lock you out of game content (namely, sets of weapons and good charms). Just do the time method in the OP and keep on playing, you should get at least a usuable table then.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Count Bleck posted:

I don't know if it's in Tri U, but Portable 3rd has a BBQ Spit for your farm which lets you cook up to 10 of the same food.

The uberspit isn't in 3U, unfortunately. RIP Uberspit.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Vallens posted:

Live stream going up. Going to try to get into some multiplayer.

http://www.twitch.tv/vallens

Movement speed up for hh is white-white, mate.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
And please hit anyone that tries to tell you that you can cut tails with a hammer.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Reoxygenation posted:

For the record, Duramboros's tail can be severed with a hammer.

e: about the app gently caress you capcom

That's true, but it's the exception. It's more like taking Barroth's crest off with a hammer rather than cutting a tail off though.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Nechronic posted:

Just wanted to say GGs and sorry for all the friendly fire, when I'm hammering I try not to hit other people with the super pound but if I think I can land a head shot I go for it anyway.

I was watching the stream and I thought you were a pretty darn good hammerrer.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

I'm already getting feverish at just the thought of having to farm G rank Ceadeus heavenlies / gems / rare items / whatever they're called. Possibly with pubbies. :gonk:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

BlueDestiny posted:

Does anyone know what the "Sonic Waves" song does on hunting horns? I would assume it works like a sonic bomb but so far there's no effect that I can see on any monsters.

That only affects certain monsters. Generally it affects things that swim underwater or dig under sand, as well as stunning Lagombi, enraging Nargacuga and interrupting Quropeccos' songs.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

scissorman posted:

How newbie-friendly are the ranged weapons in MH3U, especially the bow?
I generally prefer ranged combat but in the demo I ran out of time with the bow against the easy monster and barely made it with the heavy bowgun.

Bows are not especially friendly to newbies, but they aren't hard to learn if you stick with it. To start: there are 3 types of arrows with bows: Rapid, pierce and scatter. Rapid shot fires a volley of up to 5 arrows in a vertical line. This is probably the preferred shot type of bowyers archers gunners who use bows. Pierce arrows continue through a monster up to 5 times, doing damage every set amount of distance travelled through the monster. Scatter is like rapid, except the arrows spread horizontally. People don't like spread as much as the other two but it's a perfectly usable type. Then after this there's the arrow rain attack, of which there are 3 varities, 2 of which just vary the area over which the arrow rain does damage, the third causing a blast. You don't need to buy ammo for bow, which is a definate advantage over bowguns, but you can buy coatings for your bow which can make them do more damage, poison, paralyze or put monsters to sleep. There are some other coatings but these are your main coatings.

Really, for any weapon if you're curious how they play, take the starter one, go out in a free hunt in offline village and experiment with them.

Oh, another thing. Bows are much, much more useful for elemental damage application than raw damage, and the starting bows are probably not up to the same level as some of the other starter weapons because of this.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 22, 2013

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

scissorman posted:

I haven't bought the game yet, so I'm only playing around with the demo.

Another question, are the other ranged weapons any easier to get into and use?

Ah, no, the demo should have a bow on even pegging with the other weapons. The other ranged weapons are probably about the same to get into since you need to carry ammo and items for ammo with you when you go on a hunt. To be honest they're not inredibly hard to get into, just more so than most melee weapons because you have to aim and all the ammo and arrow types.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Machai posted:

you may need to look up a tut on youtube

I seriously doubt that learning how to catch a monster requires that.

When you see a monster limp (usually they're pretty obvious if they're limping, but some like Barroth or Diablos are a bit harder to tell), you follow them back to their nest (or not, either way), then you put down a shock trap or a pitfall trap (shock traps are generally better since it's easier to hit the monster with tranqs) then you throw tranquilizers at them until they fall asleep, usually 2 or 3 traquilizers will knock them out cold.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 22, 2013

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
God drat I forgot how much of a pain in the rear end quropecco is without a green sharpness weapon.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I just caught 2 goldenfish...

With ONE lure :stare:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Zombie Defiler posted:

And on something called "Golden Lune", which looks to be made with G.rank Rathian parts? The set has +15 fate on it for Great Luck.
Example of the materials the chest needs: G.Rathian Shard, Rath medulla, Rathian Ruby, Meldspar ore.

Golden Rathian parts. Which I believe are g rank anyway, but yeah. Silver Sol is the Rathalos equivalent.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

ChibiSoma posted:

Duramboros is a wall of HP. Get up under him when he starts his big whirlwind attack and attack his legs with all you're worth. It'll make him topple over. Doesn't mean the fight'll go faster, but it'll sure make it a lot easier. Bring two traps and two rounds of barrel bombs. Not entirely sure what element(s) he's weak to, but I doubt it'd speed things along too terribly much.

Dude's an endurance run. I'm not looking forward to farming his armor and enough extra for Jupiter's Sphere.

People always seem to forget that Duramboros's weakspot (his back) is pretty weak when he's unenraged, but when he's enraged it takes an absolute tonne of damage. He's also incredibly weak to fire. I'm pretty sure the rathian bow's artillery attack is wide area, and the bow is fire damage. See what I'm getting at?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Bobnumerotres posted:

Man where the hell is Cha-Cha? I got the second little guy but before I rescued him Cha-cha totally disappeared. I may have taken him online with me but I checked both off and online taverns and he wasn't there. Is this scripted? I never dismissed him.

It's scripted and a part of the main 'quest' offline. There are a few quests available in the highest rank you have open; only one or two have a big monster in it iirc. Go do those quests.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Ciaphas posted:

I seem to constantly be out of money. What should I be doing to have enough of it? Something I should cultivate?

Also sell all your spare monster bits for cashbux. You don't need those 35 rathian scales. Just don't sell plates or horns or whatever the rare drops are.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

WendigoJohnson posted:

Speaking of rare trades, what the hell is the big parashroom for? It's a two star trade but I can't find anything that lists it's use.

I'm pretty sure it's a decoration for your room in Moga Village.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
My god, it's going to take forever to get 22 bumblepumkins for Pumpking (Mosgharl) Armour at 1 5* rare trade apiece. That's a lot of pink rathian livers.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Bland posted:

So it looks like the European servers are down right now, anybody else not able to connect at the moment?

They've been down since midday here (gmt+10), it's goddamn rediculous. I mean, sure, we're going to cop a server maintenance every week, but that's a long time especially when the American servers were down and back up in an hour.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Ramadu posted:

So does this mean i can kill godzillas on the wiiu controller without needing a tv or just a 3ds save to wiiu thing?

You can't kill godzillas on the WiiU pad until the april patch. Until then it's all on a tv or a 3DS, depending on which version you get.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Bussamove posted:

Zinogre can be a bit of a pain too, he tends to hold his head just out of reach unless he's doing his spaz-out acrobatic attacks.

Zin's head, at least in p3rd, was just low enough to be able to be hit by all the x hammer attacks unless it was a really big one.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Level Slide posted:

Can I only use the weapons once during the Ceadus fight?

You can use the Dragonator (the giant spear) once every 10 minutes. You can use the ballista as long as you have ammo for it.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
And when monsters sleep, they don't recover a lot of their HP, usually it's just enough to put them back near the capturable / not capturable cutoff.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
They stack, and the talon gives more damage increase than the charm, but I'm not sure how much by.

Also, the trick with Duramboros is to attack his back however you can. You can't trip him normally (attacking his legs), but if you attack his legs while he's spinning, after a certain amount of damage he'll fall over for a good long while. Pitfall traps also bring his back down to attack range. His back is pretty weak and takes a lot of fire damage, especially when he's in rage mode, and especially after you've broken his hump.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 29, 2013

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
MHFU trained me to bring all my poo poo with me anyway, which is what I did all the way through Tri and so far in 3U too. Don't rely on the box items, that's bonus help. Sure it's a kick in the pants until you start bringing all your stuff but it'll help you think ahead more. It should help "forgot drinks / potion / meat give me some" too.

no it won't, gently caress pubbies

ChibiSoma posted:

Oh my god, I got a gem off of Jhen first try. :stare:

I have never had a problem with EarthDragonGems. They seem to drop fairly regularly. Might be the fact you can carve jhen a lot more than other monsters.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
It is extremely worth it for the single player. You can play the entire game single player if you want to, even on the WiiU, though it's going to take a lot longer to do.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Ciaphas posted:

(edit) What's the first monster that comes up with a tail I can remove? I want to try it with the hammer, I think the thread said that you can do that which is :psyduck:

You cannot cut tails with a hammer. Anyone who tells you this is either trying to waist your time or has been farming for brachydios gems too long. (there is one exception, you can take off a monster called Duramboros's tail with a hammer but it's more like breaking a hunk of it off opposed to physically cutting the end of the tail off like every other monster)

And the first monster that you can tail cut is Barroth, or Rathian if you go after her when Quropeco calls her.

e: VVV That's the wroggi SnS, the Dirty Baron. You should be able to make it straight from the forge menu. It's a High Rank weapon though, so you might have to rank up a few times.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 1, 2013

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Skills always trump defence, but if you're at the point where you're dying in 2 or 3 hits from full HP and fully upgraded armour then yeah, it's probably time to upgrade.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Fauxtool posted:

does a lvl 3 charge greatsword hit do significantly more than hammer? why else would you use it?

Much. A Level 3 GS charge is by far the single most damaging attack in Monster Hunter (outside of a dragonator strike but that's not here nor there).

Ciaphas posted:

Cool, I'll look into Rathalos armor next, thanks.

I forgot to ask, does upgrading armor ever give it extra slots? I wanted to get that 'capture now' skill (perception? psychic? lord the skill names in this game...) on my jaggi armor but it came up short. :(

No, upgrading only increases the armour rating of that piece of armour, nothing else about the armour changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Get between his legs and stick there, only move from that position when he's stomping, hipchecking, or when you're trying to cut his tail or break his face. It's the safest spot to be and it's also his / near his weak spot.

• Locked thread