Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Am I awful if I don't care about charm tables? Ultimately I really don't care about minmaxing.

Also tomorrow. Tomorrow the magic is happening. Don't disappoint me capcom store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Rustshard weapons are really good. You should probably at least care about that.

Aren't they just ultimately weapons with dragon elements that get outclassed in G rank? I just want to kill monsters :effort:

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Nechronic posted:

Emphasizing this. All you new and old hunters PLEASE don't hesitate to hang out in IRC. Ask questions, make fun of people for putting their traps down right before the monster leaves the area, forge battle bonds with other nerds that share your love of killing monsters and using their parts to kill more monsters.

I've never hunted with other goons, but if the game uses your nintendo id whatever, could we get a spreadsheet with codes going too? That'd be pretty swell and would make it evenv easier.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Nechronic posted:

The IRC room has a system where you set your friend code with the command !setfc and look up other's by using the "!fc <name>" command so a spreadsheet would be kind of redundant unless you like adding a million friend codes at once instead of just one person you're trying to find. I assume once you're in game with one person you can add other people to your friends list through an in game interface.

Thanks for the information - when I get to use a real computer I'll make sure to drop by with whatever code is required for ultimate!

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Sire Oblivion posted:

Can you access both Jhen's offline too?

Every quest is playble offline - this game is literally the Freedom Unite of 3rd gen

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Fuckin' a, I thought it was 9 am EST. Oh well.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Up to offline highrank, I love the new moves that weren't in Tri, keeps the game fresh.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Ignimbrite posted:

And please hit anyone that tries to tell you that you can cut tails with a hammer.

For the record, Duramboros's tail can be severed with a hammer.

e: about the app gently caress you capcom

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

High rank doesn't gently caress around guys, HR Gjaggi ko'd me in 4 hipchecks, and I had upgraded my Arzuros armor to max defense with spheres+. Granted I was just testing the damage output, but the game ramps up fast. Also can kill him in 6 minutes(includes finding him) as opposed to one.

Good hunting!

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Several weapons don't show up, you need to follow the crafting line to get 'em.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

mcpringles posted:

What's a decent armor set for a blademaster after Jaggi? So far Peco, Rathian, Azuroz and Gobul didn't look that great.

Arzuros is great, I beat low rank with it. Gives defense small, a skill that lets you heal more when using items and anti theft

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

ChibiSoma posted:

Do you get the chance to hunt Great Wroggis anywhere but the Flooded Forest? I hate that place. Too much clutter. I want cowboy gunner gear!
In High Rank you do. :v:

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Falcon2001 posted:

Seems like you're probably bouncing a lot if you're going through shrarpness like that. I haven't found him in TriU, but in MHP3rd at least I don't recall him being that crazy hard.

He isn't hard but keep in mind monsters got nerfed in p3rd. It doesn't help you can't have fire weapons (if you play offline) at that point either.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

BlueDestiny posted:

Okay Quropecos are literally the shittiest shitlords ever shat. Every time I take it down to limping it dodges around traps I put down in front of it. One time it literally went from standing healthy and ready to charge to instant limp-flyaway the second I started putting a trap down. The loving felyne hoard it summons robbing me blind while I'm in sniper mode don't help either.

Oh man, if you think normal Quru is a pain... Wait for high rank quru and the crimson subspecies. Deviljhoes and being blinded all the loving time: the quest. I literally spent 20 minutes runningfrom a Jho while trying to down a crimson qurupeco :suicide:

e: I guess what I'm saying is, guys, low rank is super good pratice, abuse that fact

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 22, 2013

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Scored myself a Ceadeus switchaxe AND a deepsea gem at the same time :toot:. Also does anyone have advice to maximise your damage output on him, until I get slime? I've been using an upgraded lagia switchaxe, cause that thing is weak to lightning.

e: I have upgraded lagia DSes so I could try that I guess, since he doesn't move lots

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 22, 2013

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

You can't farm bugs used for armor crafting

Also I'm making a pink rathian set out of spite. gently caress that thing.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

I could swear I got some from the boats or something. Are those useless?

Some items from the boats are used to craft high rank armor, and some are used just for money (like the crown parts, which you can combine for more money)

Also gently caress do I hate Rathalos. It isn't hard, its just sooo annoying and such a tedious fight. But I need this guy down so I can access Brachydios and make my slime SA and start killing everything :(

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

So I am powering my way through offline quests, Brachydios is a SUPER fun fight in my opinion. 2 on screen might be harder but gently caress I'd rather fight him 25 times than fight 25 Rathalos. I'm also 1 part short of a slime SA, and I'm not complainin.

Actual advice: the fluffy mask you can get for the Shakalakas gives you locations of monsters when you ping them. Also it makes them much more likely to carve?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Can uh, you guys stop freaking out about charm tables so much? Their only real use is to minmax super late game (like we're talking G rank here) and most of you (I'm looking at you, newcomers) are freaking the gently caress out for no reason. The game offers plenty of gear and options to mess around with, and really you should enjoy the game.
I mean if you really care, rustshards can get you some nice weapons with dragon element but you can get dragon element regardless.

tl;dr stop freaking the gently caress out about charm tables. a lot of you guys will have way more problems with what the game throws at you before minmaxing is relevant :v:

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Eruonen posted:

The way the OP phrases it made me worried. Thanks, that's a relief Reoxygenation.

I mean don't get me wrong, when you get REALLY good at the game, having a good charm table can be super decent, if you want to GRIND IT OUT, but ultimately, not having that 1 skill won't gently caress you over. Someone that is poo poo as dodging will not become instantly better if he can somehow gem Evasion +2. Those extra skills can be nice, but in High Rank and G rank, the game is mainly based around your skill and what you can do with what the game offers you. G rank as a whole is soloable, especially, and you should be able to beat these quests... even though you should group up when you can, because the game is much more fun when you have 4 people hitting that Lucent Narguaca or getting hosed by that Ivory Lagiacrus, but this is an instance where getting that god gem will not take away your enjoyment of the game, nor will it make it worse/better to play with others.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

How do I get more felynes for the farm? Does it have anything to do with the cave full of them with the cat statue?

Certain village quests will give you more felynes, but farm upgrades are obtained through requests you get from Junior

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I wanna say Lagiacrus drops them too? I think any 'bigger' monster in low rank drops them, like Rathian, Lagiacrus and Barioth. I could be wrong though, but I'm fairly sure Barioth drops them. Which is a 5* quest unfortunately :(

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Karanas posted:

I just finished the fight with the Duramboros and holy poo poo that thing just wouldn't die. I was using the leader's shotels dual blades and it took me almost 45 minutes to finally kill him. I mean holy poo poo was it my weapons that were unsuited for the job or can I expect that from every monster from now on?

Duramboros the first time is... he isn't hard, but I have quite some Monster Hunter experience, and even though I wasn't really grinding for weapons, he took a while. I figure they were going for the endurance type of fight? I mean he isn't especially hard and easy to read when you know the signs, but he just has so much life. Also no, but High Rank monsters tend to be tougher and have maybe a couple new moves than their Low Rank counterparts, and can be difficult, but once you know your weapon and the tells of the monsters, they become easier.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

You're supposed to repel him the first time anyway. I just always go for the breaks, then come back and murder him. If you hate the fight though, you might like the subspecies more, it's a much more interesting fight.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah Felyne Pyro and Bombardier are the skills that affect Slime, not Status/Element- although technically it is a status, as its procs are random as far as I know.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

It is incredibly annoying that there are no supplies and random placement in HR. What is the point? Just to be a huge inconvenience?

It forces you to be better at the game by coming in prepared.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

gently caress hercudrome farming. Seriously what the hell. There needs to be a quest that's just for bug farming because every area (except volcano which I haven't unlocked) produces 0-1 each run.

The best thing to do when bug farming is going up a rank, when possible, because rare bugs in lower ranks become much more common.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

A word about Hallowed Jhen Mohran: to unlock the quest yourself, you'll need to cap one of each capturable monster (this includes Lucent Nargacuga!!) and kill every elder dragon (except him of course) and this includes the VILLAGE ALATREON (until they add the G Rank event, I want to say), which itself require every village quest cleared (until the event comes out) . You can of course join someone who already has the quest unlocked, however you cannot post it yourself! Abyssal Lagiacrus isn't required since he isnt cappable.

also gently caress alatreon that dude aint cool

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 2, 2013

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Xavier434 posted:

For those of you in G Rank, does it feel like slime weapons are the only way to go or does a lot of incentive to get other weapons which focus on a particular monster's weakness still exist? I am not there yet, but everything I am reading about slime kinda bothers me. I want to feel like I should be going after a greater variety of weapons in order to wreck faces.

Slime is kinda the entry point, and then you hit G rank and you make cool sets (G rank black diablos with a good hammer? :getin:), but they're either used by 1) pubbies 2) people who want to speed up farming for some monsters (Diablos :argh:) 3) people trying to kill Alatreon seriously gently caress that guy or 4) uninspired people. They're the lazy way, but the boring way: ultimately you end up using the same set up. Forever.

That isn't what Monster Hunter is. Keep making the hats. Craft a good set. Kick rear end regardless.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

The quest also ends if you kill 5 pecos.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Aerox posted:

Is there any kind of general starter guide as to what I should be doing as an MH novice in the first 10 hours of the game or so? Should I just stick exclusively to the story quests, or should I be running around farming specific materials and be messing around with the shroom box/cat planting stuff?

Always use the farm early. Later it's still important, altough not as much. Otherwise, just do the quests, find a bitchin' set (armor doesn't really matter in Low Rank) and go through the story. I suggest you do every quest as soon as possible, because to unlock certain things you need them done (it's mostly endgame stuff but you probably won't want to go goldfish fishing when you're about to kill an Ivory Lagiacrus!)

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Kiggles posted:

You get a few new quests at certain thresholds, with the last being made available at HR 70.

Untrue, there's some available at 80, 90 and 100.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I'm going down the Wasserfallis upgrade path right now and I'm getting somewhat annoyed by this. I like the reach of Long Swords and they're pretty quick, but they lack the raw damage of other weapons. And hey, you can't block either. I'm not sure if I should switch to a different weapon type. I'm fairly early on but always having to hit that combo to top up my damage is pretty annoying. I was fiddling with Great Swords earlier and I've been upgrading one on the side as well, but they're kind of slow and a pain to hit small/quick enemies with.

Long Swords are literally the highest DPS possible with little to no effort. The weapon has no complex combos, has really good reach, and is good for soloing.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Speakin of news, the MH3U update is apparently going to be released on the 16th.
https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/322008125651709952

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Potsticker posted:

I'm in the same boat. Before the Dios axe I was switching out axes based on element type and the monster I was fighting. Now I feel like it's less of a choice, and I'm not even saving money because I'm still upgrading my other axes! I think Locke Dunnegan is right and we don't need to worry about the extra damage so much. Especially after upgrading to Dios+ I find that monsters I was planning on having trouble against (DevilJho and Black Diablos) went pretty fast and relatively painlessly.

That being said, I'm still bringing it to Goldbeard because I have a feeling that fight's going to take a while anyway.

Goldbeard is a long and boring fight (and holy poo poo I kinda feel sorry for people with only a 3DS who have to solo it :magical:) so cheesing it with slime isn't a bad thing. Don't remember to use the dragonator as early as possible - he isn't really hard to lure to it. Essentially, he's just Ceadeus without the boring chase, and he moves around. A lot.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Falcon2001 posted:

If this is anything like the previous MH games, they never remove the DLC quests.

Weren`t they removed in Tri over time? Or was there a rotation?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

The 3DS XL CPP can now be bought in the US.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

WendigoJohnson posted:

So I just unlocked the Mark of the Hero quest for the village. How the hell are you supposed to defeat brach and rath when they both refuse to separate? Smoke bombs don't seem to work at all, and they've killed both my cha-chas instantly. The weapon I was using was a lance so I don't know if I should get something with higher mobility, then again I really have no idea how to use anything else outside of a lance. My armor is a mix of G.Agnaktor Z armor and Steel Uragaan Z.

The Rathalos is made out of paper, just run around a lot and bring his rear end down first, then depending on how good you are at dodging, Brachydios alone should be a cakewalk. I wouldn't really recommend the Lance, I personally used a Switchaxe. Hardest part of the fight was the Lagiacrus with it

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Kilazar posted:

What is Affinity on a weapon?

It's crit chance. Positive give you a x% of dealing 1.25x more damage. Also works with negative affinity, where it'll be marked with a minus sign and you'll have a chance of dealing x% 0.75 damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Dishsoap posted:

What's the best way to farm Lg Wyvern Stones? Using MH3U Dex, it looks like farming Green/Normal Plesioth would be the way to go, as he has chances to drop the gem from body carves. However, I was wondering if anyone had any success doing something else.

I have 50, and this is after using several, just from doing a bunch of random quest. As long as the monster can drop it/have it as a potential carve, you should be good to go. I mean, this is Monster Hunter, how lucky you are at the end of the day is what matters.

• Locked thread