Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Fungah! posted:

Someone knocked together an at-a-glance chart for hammering too, here it is:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Voisk posted:

Now that you mention it I do actually remember that now (I only had MH3U for a short time). It was a small irritation (because I'm used to handling my own camera) but thinking back on it the real reason I didn't play it much was the much smaller resolution (Played a lot of MH right before that on my Vita (MH Freedom Unite) and the transition was too harsh for my non-XL 3ds) and the fact I played 3-500 hours of Tri and I couldn't go through the mindset of doing that again at the time.

Oh and because there seems to be an influx of newer players here's this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9NYYewCSxo

need a new version with charge blade

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone have advice for cutting tails with slicing shot? Is the best advice "don't"?

Decent in coop if whoever's on tail cutting duty needs a little help getting it done

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

New localization blog post http://www.capcom-unity.com/reno/blog/2015/01/27/monster-hunter-4-ultimate-localization-the-apex-predator

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I imagine if you start up a new game of 3U you'll see 56 or so Defense down there.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Toxxupation posted:

they've been strident in saying mh4 is grab-and-go without literally 12 hours of tutorials like mhtri/3u had

also that you can quite literally skip all the tutorial missions and go straight to hunting if you have experience

I dunno if they've changed it for us but in 4g you can look up what the key quests are and get to real monster fights after like 3 tutorial quests.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

What the game needs more than anything is a tutorial that walks you through every single thing in the skills menu and explains why they're important.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ignimbrite posted:

If not that, a section in your Hunter's Notes that explains the skills.

No one wants to sit through 3 1/2 hours of "Attack up small: Increases your physical damage by a small amount. Attack up medium: Increases your physical damage by a modest amount. Attack up large: Increasess your physical damage by a significant amount. Attack down small..."

People would ignore that just like they ignore all of the NPC dialog that explains things. They don't need to go through what every skill is, they just need to explain THIS screen.

And say something like "hey when you make full armor sets you're guaranteed to get some skills out of it so you should do that"

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Zo posted:

I don't know, I think they're not that important though. Japan has a ton of casual players who just build cool looking full armor sets (instead of optimizing skillpoints) and it's fine for anything except level 140 guildquests basically.

This seems to be the real problem.

I'm not saying the game needs to teach people to mix and match their armor, but I've seen a ton of people who get carried into g rank and have no idea what skills are, period. It's a little different from Japan.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

pulp rag posted:

Speaking of that magazine page, is there any resource for combo flowcharts for the various weapons? Been thinking of picking up SnS after messing around in the demo, but there seems to be an absurd amount of mechanics and combos to memorize. Just difficult figuring out what links into what for each weapon.

Here's the ones from the demo

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Get a 3ds for 4u and never do underwater hunts again imo

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

sitchelin posted:

Is mounting possible with a Bow/gun or do you just do some kind of John Woo action shot?

It is, you can melee attack in the air

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Elysiume posted:

Is there nothing for searching lobbies based on a quest preference?

edit: To be clear if I want to kill some Plestioths but don't want to create a lobby (because some people need to be joining lobbies), do I just need to randomly join lobbies until I find one with people who want to kill Plesioths or is there a LFG system?

I've seen people in streams search for rooms by monster

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Haquer posted:

The problem is that it sold like poo poo in Japan on the Wii U, and that seems to be the only place that Capcom looks at before deciding to actually make the port, regardless of how its worldwide sales would be.

Capcom routinely goes "oh this didn't sell so well in Japan" on many titles and :sweep:

Didn't exactly light the world on fire here either

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Bread Set Jettison posted:

and bug staffs

and tigrexes

at least he has narga

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

sns is really good if you aren't a big wussy baby by which i mean you should be attacking 100% of the time. In speed runs its just like a minute or two slower than most other weapons (and is even quite a bit faster for some monsters), it's not insanely weak or anything.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Praesil posted:

Back in portable 3rd (don't have 3U), you could farm might seeds or null berries - any way for grinding money in 4U?

I guess you can run forest quests over and over and sell what you get out of them

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Countblanc posted:

I'm gonna out myself as a big scrub casual but what is Rathian/Rathalos' tell that they're about to walk forward (and trample you)? I swear to god it's just a frame zero thing where they start moving from a neutral state and it instantly does damage if you're in front of them, or too close to their side, and "stands neutral" itself can't be the tell because they're more than happy to transition to a tail swipe from that state too.

There's not a tell. Just expect it to happen any time they turn toward you.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Diablos can totally fly he just doesn't want to

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Demo is available on the UK store now

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

dragon enthusiast posted:

How good a replacement for the claw is the nub? What was nice about clawing was that you could move, attack, and control the camera all without having to shift your fingers. You lost that ability using the CPP since you would typically have to take your thumb off the face buttons to adjust the camera.

You can import one of these to get all the benefits of the claw without having to contort your hand. They put a second slidepad on the left grip that you can use with your index finger. They don't fit the New 3ds models unfortunately.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

good cat

edit: i hope we get this dlc

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 6, 2015

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Here's more new 3ds comparisons but don't freak out or anything because it's comparing the demo to the full game and it's very possible that the demo included lower quality textures to keep the filesize down http://imgur.com/a/rzLJb

E: beaten

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Thoom posted:

Hey, Duramboros was fun! Unless there's a gigantic pirouetting herbivore in 4U, something rare and beautiful has been lost.

Maybe you've heard of my friend Diablos

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Countblanc posted:

loving good

Really uncool of you

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

im already dying irl atm

is there a list of all the new tools they added for old weapons? I've been going through gaijinhunter tutorials and there's a whole lot of new poo poo I never even realized existed while playing the demo.

http://tinyurl.com/thanksryozo

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Riftling posted:

Monster Hunter Megathread: Shadow of the Elder Dragon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5cc0LjHHzA

Amatsu is the coolest

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ping's dex also has pics of all the armor and weapons and cat outfits https://sites.google.com/site/pingsdex/pingsmh4gdex not in English yet though.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

New localization blog
http://www.capcom-unity.com/reno/blog/2015/02/10/monster-hunter-4-ultimate-localization-a-helping-hand

Also reviews are going up. Surprise: it's a good video game

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Can somebody explain the expedition system? I'm reading it's the only way to access G140 quests, you can only save up to ten at a time, your progress resets if you discard one of them?

http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/79867693361/mh4-understanding-guild-quests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Oh I always thought the 140 part corresponded to your HR, not the level of the guild quest. Also the breakpoints in that post don't appear to correspond to the ones here, did they change them in 4U?

They capped out at 100 in mh4 so I guess they adjusted the scale when they increased it to 140.

• Locked thread