Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
:siren: This thread is first and foremost geared toward introducing people to the show. For the kickstarter discussion about the upcoming Veronica Mars movie, happened there :siren:
Most important :siren: :siren: SPOILER THAT poo poo, SON :siren: :siren: Please refer to the guidelines.
If there are other relevant KS details coming, we'll update you but this thread is about watching the show.

The posting guidelines to help create a great experience for those who will join us for the first time.
Rewatch/First Watch details can be found here as well as relevant kickstarter updates!
Season 2 and Season 3 will be covered here

Veronica Mars is the baby of Rob Thomas (of Party Down and Matchbox 20 fame), and ran from 2004 to 2007, on then UPN and eventually The CW before it's untimely demise at the end of season 3. Due to the massive love of fans who yearned for the show to continue when the CW decided not cut it after gutting it, a massive kickstarter was launched for a movie that will serve as a proper conclusion to the series. With this thread we will start a rewatch that will hopefully culminate with the movie's release.

So, what is the show about? It follows the titular Veronica, who lives in a small fictional California town called Neptune. She spends her time between helping her father's private detective agency and finishing high schoo-

Ok, let's just address this right away:

I wear grown man pants! I watch the Wire! Why the gently caress should I care about a tv show about a high school private detective on the CW?

So do I! Thankfully, Veronica Mars is not a show that is aimed toward teenagers, even though they make up half of the cast. In the same vein as Brick, it's a neo-noir set in a fictional highschool and concentrates mostly on Veronica's work as a private detective filling in the gaps where her father can't, and resolving the mystery of 'Who Really Killed Lilly Kane', Veronica's best friend. It's a show that deals with many adult subjects such as murder, rape, fraud, assault, and all that fun stuff.

The greatest strength of the show, however, is just how smart it is. And Veronica herself. Whether its plot, or its wit, or its sense of humor, this was and is still one of the smartest show on television. Kristen Bell totally sells her character as a snarky, fallen from grace high school sleuth with a heart of gold, armed with the most lethal of quips. The same way Buffy masqueraded a really witty show with great banter under the guise of a high school vampire drama, so does Veronica Mars. Well, without vampires. There's a reason why you see so many avatars with quotes from the show in this forum, it is an endless source of golden banter.

The writing is not only tight when it comes to dialogue, however. It is just as plot-wise, where the show alternates between serial arcs (such as the murder of Lilly Kane) and the case of the week. It managed to achieve a near-perfect balance during the first two seasons. Third season was retooled a bit due to network meddling, but was still quality television. There is also real character development, and everything that happens actually matters rather than dropped and forgotten the week after. Just as Baltimore is to the Wire, Neptune itself is a more than a city, it's a character that feels alive and vibrant, with its own idiosyncrasies, and where even minor characters feel fully fleshed out.

So you like quality television, driven by wit, snark, tight dialogue and great plots? You will love Veronica Mars!

Fine, it's still a big investment. That's three seasons worth. I'm not sure I want to go ahead and spend that kind of money on a whim. Cheap bourbon ain't free, you know

Good news! All the episodes can be watched for free on the WB's website!

I haven't got any excuses anymore, I'll watch it, I guess. So uh I guess we're done with this thread?

You won't regret it. And no, we'll actually watch it with you! Well, in case you don't end up binging on it in a few days. A couple of posts after this one will deal with the Forums rewatch/first watch schedule.

The Makings of a Sleuth: Who Really Killed Lilly Kane?

As I mentioned earlier, Veronica Mars is set in fictional Neptune, California. It follows the titular Veronica, high school student by day, private detective extraordinaire by night (before curfew). She works for Keith Mars, her father. Keith used to be the Sheriff of Neptune, until he lost his position in a recall election for pressing too hard after one of the many wealthy millionaire residents in an exclusive millionaire neighborhood after his daughter was murdered. That daughter, Lilly Kane, was also Veronica's best friend. Just as Keith lost his position as sheriff, Veronica lost her mother when she left her father, and her friends as a result of her support for her father's investigation. Who said that daughters never pay for the sins of their father?

The murder of her best friend has become what defines the new Veronica. As a defense mechanism, she created a shell of snark, calculated distance and cupcakes, but inside there is a Taylor Swift-like storm of emotions brewing. Even though a man was arrested by the new Sheriff, plead guilty for the crime and was condemned to death for the murder of her best friend, Veronica is not buying it. The one question that haunts her constantly is... [/i]Who Really Killed Lilly Kane?[/i]

The Dames, the Lames, the Geezers and the Ghosts of Neptune:

Kristen Bell as Veronica Mars

Amanda Seyfried as Lilly Kane

Daughter of Jake Kane, sister of Veronica's boyfriend, and Veronica's best friend. Her life was brutally snuffed a few months ago, and her death has haunted Veronica ever since.

Erico Colantoni as Keith Mars

Father of Veronica, lost his job, his wife and all of his friends after he accused Jake Kane of murdering his daughter. Often out on business running after bail jumpers, he remains very close to Veronica both as a father and employer as the sole (official) detective of Mars Investigation

Kyle Secor as Jake Kane

Father of Lilly, became a billionaire when his company went public and raised up with him a lot of Neptune's residents. Beloved by everyone, Keith lost his job when he accused him of lying about his whereabouts on the day of his daughter's death.

Michael Muney as Sheriff Don Lamb

Used to work under Keith, became the new Sheriff after a recall election put him there. Really doesn't like Keith, or the fact that he opened up shop in Neptune.

Teddy Dunn as Duncan Kane

Veronica's boyfriend until shortly before Lilly's death. They have not discussed since then.

Jason Dohring as Logan Echolls

Son of action star Aaron Echolls and Duncan's best friend. Hates Veronica and loves to mention it.

Harry Hamlin as Aaron Echolls

Movie star and friend of the Kane, Aaron Echolls is the embodiement of 'Like jackass father, like jackass son'.

Ryan Hansen as Dick Casablancas

Truly lives up to his name, he is one of Logan's closest friends. Embodiment of the CA surfer dude

Francis Capra as Eli 'Weevil' Navarro

Leader of the PCH biker gang, serves as Veronica's contact to Neptune's underbelly.

Percy Daggs III as Wallace Fennel

New student who just transfered to Neptune High, plays ball like a champ and works at the local 7/11. His mother works for Jake Kane's company.

Now those are but a small numbers of the many inhabitants of Neptune. I will elaborate more on the supporting cast in the next posts, as well as later additions with the appropriate spoiler bars. Now, let's go and get ready for The Great 2013 Rewatch

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Secondary characters introduced up to Episode 12 of the First Season

Lianne Mars

Wife of Keith and Veronica's mother, who bailed out of town leaving her husband and daughter behind during the Lily Kane murder fiasco

Celeste Kane

Wife of Jake and mother to Ducan and Lily, hates the Mars family with a passion, as well as anything remotely nice in the world

Meg Mannings :swoon:

One of the few 09ers who still talks to Veronica, she's an A student and all around swell girl

Troy Vandergraff

One of the other few 09ers who's willing to give Veronica the time of the day.

Cindy 'Mac' Mackenzie

Computer whiz with a really bad ride and rad attitude

Cliff McCormak

Public defender with snazzy suits and even snazzier witicisms, is rather fond of Veronica and realizes that she might be the brains behind Mars Investigation. He has a zest for life, so sue him.

Abel Koontz

On death row for the murder of Lily Kane. Evidence of the murder was found on Abel's houseboat, and he pled guilty to the charges.

Alicia Fennel

Wallace's mother, authoritarian and sometimes scary mother, as mothers are wont to be. Works for Jake Kane's software company

Clarence Wiedman

Head of Kane Software security, and in charge of all its dirty business.

Leo D'Amato

New Neptune deputy. After losing a lot of weight in college, Leo spent some time in Neptune working as a cop, before eventually changing his name and moving back to L.A. to live with his college roommate, his ex-Latvian pro-baller friend and a down on her luck schoolteacher.

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 15, 2013

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
:siren: Posting Guidelines :siren:

As mentioned above, this thread is first and foremost about introducing people to Veronica Mars/The Great Rewatch. Therefore, spoiler that poo poo, son!

• Anything that happens in an episode that has yet to be
  • Anything that happened in an episode we've seen is fair game
  • Please don't :airquote: innocently speculate :airquote: in order to spoil.
  • Please, no 'You think that this is big, well just wait until a couple of episodes you'll see eh :smug: '
  • Be extra careful about mystery spoilers!
  • Not everyone will be at the same point at the same time. Therefore, if you are discussion something that happens at a later date, be helpful and do something along the lines of (mid-season 3 spoiler) Logan is the best :allears:

The Great 2013 First Watch/Rewatch
Every Sunday at 8pm PDT

Season 1
Episode 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Season 2
Episode 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Season 3
Episode 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Kickstarter

This is a rewatch thread, not the kickstarter thread, but I will post updates that are relevant here.

:toot: 5 Millions :toot:

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 15, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Finally, a deep throat to call my own. I'll be popping in to throw up some Youtube links to the fantastic music choices had across the course of this series.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 19, 2013

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!
Yeah, one thing that I've had problems with explaining to my friends is the fact that although a lot of the characters are teens and the show is partly set in a high school, this show is targeted mainly to adults. (And much like Glee, the actors playing teenage characters were all adults when this show aired; I think Kristen Bell was around 25 when the show started.) I'm going to use the Kickstarter as an excuse to bring up that conversation again.

If you haven't seen this show, watch a couple of episodes to see if you like it. This show is on my personal top five TV shows list.

And I vote that we sync the rewatch with Kristen Bell and Rob Thomas.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I refuse to believe that there are people who haven't watched this. It's just too sad a thought. And I say sync that poo poo up

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I have a question. I have heard the first season also has a secondary mystery of Veronica having been date raped in the first episode. I don't want to derail on the politics of it, but I also heard that the culprit ends up as her boyfriend. That sounds kind of, super weird. Not having seen it I'm sure there's more to it than that. I promise I'm not going to argue about it at all or even mention it again, just could someone explain what is up with that? I'm sure there's an explanation just hearing from someone else about the show can't exactly explain, or the situation was misrepresented when explained to me.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

greatn posted:

I have a question. I have heard the first season also has a secondary mystery of Veronica having been date raped in the first episode. I don't want to derail on the politics of it, but I also heard that the culprit ends up as her boyfriend. That sounds kind of, super weird. Not having seen it I'm sure there's more to it than that. I promise I'm not going to argue about it at all or even mention it again, just could someone explain what is up with that? I'm sure there's an explanation just hearing from someone else about the show can't exactly explain, or the situation was misrepresented when explained to me.

That's not what really happened. Veronica thinks that's what happened at one point in the series, but she later finds out that's wrong.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
Everyone get on board. If you've watched this show already, you know how good it is and you can't wait to rewatch it knowing that we're getting at least one movie to continue the story. If you haven't watched it yet, I envy you. I started showing the first season to my wife last weekend and her jaw was on the floor. Let's get this started.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

gameday posted:

Everyone get on board. If you've watched this show already, you know how good it is and you can't wait to rewatch it knowing that we're getting at least one movie to continue the story. If you haven't watched it yet, I envy you. I started showing the first season to my wife last weekend and her jaw was on the floor. Let's get this started.

Yeah this show is on a shortlist of shows where I wish I could erase everything I knew about it from my brain just so I could experience it for the first time again.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Well, this has been on my 'watch' list for a long time And kept getting bumped for other stuff. A 3.5 million kickstarter has finally convinced me. I'll watch the first episode tonight or tomorrow.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

greatn posted:

It doesn't happen like that.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've got my roommate starting on the series today and I completely forgot how much I hate the theme song. At least it's short.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I've got my roommate starting on the series today and I completely forgot how much I hate the theme song. At least it's short.

I don't... What... ? Why?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Did you accidentally start on season 3?

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I endorse this and anyone on the fence is getting splinters for no good reason.

Also, speaking of music, this show really impressed me when it played The Format, a local band from my neck of the woods.

Here's the song they played in (I think) the S1 finale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPnGYxewQ6Y

Here's the song they're perhaps best known for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irSF0OGDX5k

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Poque posted:

Did you accidentally start on season 3?

Nope, but it might be that version. It's been years since I've watched this, but I do remember they changed the style of "We Used To Be Friends" at some point, but I don't specifically remember which is which. The WB might have stuck that version on all the episodes on their site for all I know.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Nope, but it might be that version. It's been years since I've watched this, but I do remember they changed the style of "We Used To Be Friends" at some point, but I don't specifically remember which is which. The WB might have stuck that version on all the episodes on their site for all I know.

The good version plays for the first and second season on the WB website, and the third season has the altered version.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 19, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Azure_Horizon posted:

The good, perfectly suited version plays for the first and second season on the WB website, and the third season has the altered version.

I didn't say it didn't suit the show, I said I didn't like it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Very happy this thread exists. My wife and I decided to finally give this a shot, after my friend tried for years to get me to watch it, after the Kickstarter did...what it did. We blew threw the first 5 episodes last night, after only planning on watching the pilot. Good characters, and the plot moves fast.

One thing, and I may be alone in this, but why does it feel like this was filmed in 1995? The editing, theme song, and a lot of the camera angles remind me of a show from the mid 90s. I was shocked to find out it was filmed in 2004. I'm probably the only one who feels that way. Maybe I just don't remember how long it took us to leave the 90s, I don't know.

But yeah, I'm enjoying the show, and I'll be following this thread.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
I started watching this on Sunday, also due to the Kickstarter news. I'm through six episodes so far. My girlfriend has watched the show two or three times through at this point and, despite her insisting that the show would be enjoyable to a guy in his mid 20s, I never really paid it any attention. What a mistake that was. Anyone on the fence should watch this show.

I realized after watching the pilot that I was feeling as though I had seen something like this before, and then I remembered all of the reviews of Terriers that mentioned it as being very similar in tone to Veronica Mars. I completely agree with that assessment, so if you have watched and enjoyed Terriers but haven't given this show a chance, I highly recommend it.

Sometimes the :techno: is pretty cringeworthy though, especially in the fourth episode which involves video games as a means to solve a mystery.

Abisteen fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 19, 2013

legendaryRev
May 1, 2008

Soiled Meat
Thanks for this thread, the kickstarter thread introduced me to the show, and I've been binging for days. Now that I'm almost done with season 1, it'll be good to do a rewatch with commentary. And I totally vote for syncing it with Rob and Kristen, if they don't take too long to start.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Absolutely love this show, but I actually watched it for the first time about a year ago so it's still a little early to rewatch but I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Also, Season 3 intro & theme are best.

Also x2, if you have the dvds do not watch the Season 4 sneak preview, it will break your heart when you realize that you're probably never going to see that come to fruition.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Deakul posted:

Absolutely love this show, but I actually watched it for the first time about a year ago so it's still a little early to rewatch but I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Also, Season 3 intro & theme are best.

Also x2, if you have the dvds do not watch the Season 4 sneak preview, it will break your heart when you realize that you're probably never going to see that come to fruition.

I really like the Season 3 intro, mostly because it overdoes it on the orange which is a hugely influential color in the show and the reason I absolutely love the cinematography. It also reflects the darker tone of the show in that season, too.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Holy gently caress Sheriff Lamb is possibly the most despicable human being in television. This is just how I feel after watching the first episode though. Show is good and I will watch more of it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Zaggitz posted:

Holy gently caress Sheriff Lamb is possibly the most despicable human being in television. This is just how I feel after watching the first episode though. Show is good and I will watch more of it.

Yeah, he's a pretty huge rear end in a top hat.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It just seems to fit so well though! I don't know why.
After the first few episodes, I always imagined a mid 20s Logan was singing the theme song.

Bhaal posted:

Also, speaking of music, this show really impressed me when it played The Format, a local band from my neck of the woods.

You know the lead singer of The Format is now really really famous fun. "we are young guy"?

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Azure_Horizon posted:

Yeah, he's a pretty huge rear end in a top hat.

He kind of grows on you though

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Twee as gently caress posted:

He kind of grows on you though

Like a tumor.

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
If they tweet their rewatch i hope someone makes a cool web 2.0 thing so we dont have to read their twitter pages and instead have an easy to use website

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Starting the pilot now!

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I'm 8 episodes in and mad I didn't give this a shot sooner. Part of it was for an irrational reason. During the show's run I read a Mallard Fillmore strip where the talking republican duck liked the show because "the writing is good"... but really because the main character was hot. The image of Bruce Tinsley oogling Kristen Bell can do wonders towards not wanting to watch a television show.

Dr. Video Games 0157
Apr 15, 2006
So I've been doing my first watch through of VM and I'm really hooked. I can not for the life of me explain why I am so into this show but I love it. Can't wait to do a whole rewatch with this thread/cast members. I have a question though, OP says all the episodes are on the WB website but I can only see 2 seasons. Is the last season hidden on there somewhere or am I going to have to find it elsewhere?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Dr. Video Games 0157 posted:

So I've been doing my first watch through of VM and I'm really hooked. I can not for the life of me explain why I am so into this show but I love it. Can't wait to do a whole rewatch with this thread/cast members. I have a question though, OP says all the episodes are on the WB website but I can only see 2 seasons. Is the last season hidden on there somewhere or am I going to have to find it elsewhere?

Season 3 is on the CW's website, when UPN became that channel.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Dr. Video Games 0157 posted:

So I've been doing my first watch through of VM and I'm really hooked. I can not for the life of me explain why I am so into this show but I love it.

It's a cop show that while it has a lot of humour and wit, it still balances it's dramatic elements without being too jarring. Plus, much like most shows from the 00's, it kept the trend of serialized viewing- where each episode was just a part of the 'bigger' mystery. The best show VM can be compared to is Psych without getting into silly territory. (if you think about it, there are a LOT of elements both shows share)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress, someone edited my post and removed the spoiler tags. i have no idea why

don't blame me.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 20, 2013

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

edit: We're good now.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 20, 2013

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Just out of curiosity, as someone going through the show for the first time, is this quote basically a big list of spoilers? What the hell, man?

Yes, and it was originally covered with spoiler tags but apparently "Somebody" (meaning a mod) removed them. :raise:

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
Was there ever a full version of the Season 3 intro song?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Yes, and it was originally covered with spoiler tags but apparently "Somebody" (meaning a mod) removed them. :raise:

Welp, guess this thread isn't quite as newbie friendly as I was hoping in that case. I might have to stay out of here after all until I watch the whole show.

• Locked thread