Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

My dirt farming west Texas side of the family does the marshmallows over sweet potatoes thing. It's a poor-man's meringue, has been mentioned before.

You'll also see marshmallows on toothpicks on cakes, but that's to keep the tin foil/plastic wrap from getting on to the frosting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

DekeThornton posted:

Are marshmallows cheaper than egg whites and sugar? Isn't it rather a lazy and tasteless man's meringue?

Slightly cheaper perhaps but certainly faster. Could be a result of WW2 rationing as well as not everyone having an electric mixer/good oven/the right climate to not have it spontaneously deflate/melt.

When you've spent the last few weeks making sure that the cotton's been planted in time, you kind of stop giving a poo poo about how tasteless something is.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Hirayuki posted:

poo poo, I guess I can expect a visit from the Thanksgiving Police this year at our family meal in metro Detroit. :ohdear: Do I have to tell them we've never had sweet potato casserole, or will that just make my punishment worse?

Your punishment will be to eat a whole sweet potato casserole by yourself.

May god have mercy upon your soul.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

The only sweet pie I've had is apple, and pumpkin is a vegetable. I thought it was yet another side dish for ages.

I'm now trying to picture Starbucks releasing a savory pumpkin spice latte.

It's mildly loving hilarious.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Hummingbirds posted:

Everyone is complaining about sweet potato casserole but the true heinous southern Thanksgiving/Christmas dish is ambrosia.

You shut your filthy, filthy mouth.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Hummingbirds posted:

Ambrosia would be a lot better if it was just fruit salad without the weird dressing :shrug: My grandma makes it every year and I feel bad not taking some, but I always wish it was just fruit.

Does she use cottage cheese? I've got one dirt farming relative that does, and that's always loving horrifying. Just some home-made whipped cream and some sour cream.

Ambrosia (and most things that end up at church gatherings and what not) is a status thing, similar to why sweet tea is such a big thing here in the south. It came about because if you had sweet tea you had enough loving sugar to add it to everything.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

What fresh unwashed hell is this?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

To be fair, I miss Pizza Hut flavored Doritos.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The Time Dissolver posted:

Ambrosia is one of the defining Midwestern culinary idiocies. I always had it with Cool Whip and I think coconut? And mandarin oranges only. It's far from gross but definitely cheap and stupid, and closely connected in my mind with that agonizing boredom of being a child at a non-Christmas family gathering.

It's not so much a Midwestern idiocy as a Southern thing. Depending on the amount of effort put in to it you end up with different results.

Cottage cheese + canned oranges + Miracle Whip + raw shredded coconut = DEAR GOD WHY!?

Small marshmellows + orange/grape/cherry slices + toasted shredded coconut + toasted walnut/pecan + home made whipping cream/yogurt = a pretty darn good desert.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

pandaK posted:

The regular fruits in an average SoCal supermarket are very delicious,

Meanwhile, my kinfolk out in west Texas don't really get non-gassed fruit readily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Minarchist posted:

Maybe if someone dared me while I was several drinks into a binge. I'm down with sea bugs (to a point, crawfish weird me out but shrimp don't) but land crawlers just...no. Maybe with a lot of butter or something.

http://30daysofbugs.com/

• Locked thread