Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo, I'd never heard this song before, and I'm cringing hearing these lyrics. Seriously, when they start talking about the girl's weight, even I, a socially retarded grognard of a goon, start going "No don't, ixnay, abort ABORT :frogsiren:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm glad that Doug didn't get pissed and attack them with that stupid strawman he had. I'm just glad NC is much better now than it was then. Though that South Park episode still had the bitching about the fans/trolls.

New Editorial about "Parody movies being dead"
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/39172-nostalgia-critic-is-parody-dead

I really like the fact that Doug takes the time to do these, and particularly how he goes to the trouble of making a script and collecting clips to go along with them. It's about as much content as one of Spoony's rambling V-logs that I used to watch all the drat time while only being about 1/6th the running time.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

prahanormal posted:

I think most decent people hate TMZ.

I'm guessing that I should consider myself lucky that I have no idea what TMZ is then.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Every time I watch that "Real Housewives" ad I always think I'm watching a parody of something. I'm pretty sure it's the voice over guy, because the way he says "ONLY ON BRAH-VO!" just reminds me of the douchey parody voices on South Park.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Terminal Entropy posted:

Would be nice if they stop with Half in the Bag for a bit and whack out another Plinket essay. Too many reviews/discussions with a couple of friends just jabbering on about what they just watched and not a whole lot of thesis grade dissection. Is there anyone else that does anything with the same kind of depth and breath as the Plinket videos? Preferably nothing in the TGWTG circle.

First thing that comes to mind is This guy, who even rips off Mr Plinkett as an opening joke. He mostly does videogame stuff and his updates are pretty sporadic at best, not to mention he did quite a few videos about the Mass Effect 3 ending which I thought were pretty well done.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Full disclaimer, I haven't watched the latest Anime Derby yet so this is just based off of the previous episodes.

In all honesty I think part of the problem with Anime Derby might be the format, namely that it's just a LOT of work for one person if she wants to get these out in a timely manner. It might be better for her to change it to just one video per season, give a brief summary of the plot or the set up followed by a quick review of whatever she wants to talk about regarding that show with a thumbs up/thumbs down at the end and how much of it she watched before giving up on it, since part of the premise of AD seemed to be "how long can these series keep my interest?"

At most I'd say do two Anime Derbies per season, one for the first episodes of each show so she could give initial impressions, and then one for the end where she can give a full review.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

SatansBestBuddy posted:

So I haven't watched MovieBob in a while and decided to check out his newest video, Pink is not the Problem.

It's probably the best thing he's written on the subject of gender stereotyping in, well, ever. I'd easily recommend this video to people who are trying to explain the issues of modern day gender politics to the otherwise uninformed, if only because his opinion so closely reflects my own on this subject. Though I will admit I am intensely curious how this same talk would go if the subject of the video wasn't toys, but comics or games, his well known blind spots.

Still, I'm encouraged to go back and watch what I missed.

Just steer clear of Game Overthinker and you'll be fine.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Utritum posted:

MrBtongue has uploaded another Creepy, Obsessive Nerdlove.

This time its about Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, and the importance of mood and having a well-defined protagonist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z96W5G6asNU

Christ it's already gotten copyright claimed, goddammit youtube :cripes:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Echo Chamber posted:

I only occasionally check out this thread, and I wanted to see how people were responding to Movie Bob's Spider-Man review. I guess he comes off a whiny manchild, but I'm trusting his opinion here and understand his disturbed "I'm almost sick of all this" tone.

I wasn't familiar with Bob until his Lone Ranger and Star Trek Into Darkness reviews fell on my radar. I thought he did a better job of articulating the problems of Star Trek than Half in the Bag or the positive Tomato score. Star Trek '09 at least presented a fun vision of the franchise which Into Darkness quickly decided to kill whatever "goodwill" was the reboot created.

I haven't seen his videogame stuff (which probably are painful to watch), but his movie rants for me at least hit the sweet spot between "informed film criticism" and "unashamed basement-dwelling fanboyism/nerdrage", with the occasional THANK YOU tangents on how some movies are racist or sexist. He might now be the smartest or most self-aware internet critic, but he's so far the most reliable in guessing whether or not I'd like a certain movie.

I'm not a Spider-Man fan, but I didn't mind the tone of his Amazing Spider-Man 2 review, because I want someone out there to articulate that resigning feeling when a bad franchise movie of a beloved property isn't just a fluke, but a product terrible decade-long business model that we're stuck with. I guess Avengers fans were lucky that their universe films were generally at least decent, but I sympathize with Spider-Man fans who waited a decade since Spider-Man 2 for another good one, only to be told to keep waiting until Sony's done making "Amazing" movies. I totally understand the "I want this movie/franchise to fail" feeling, because I think "goodwill" in show business is overrated.

His really early Game Overthinker stuff (back when he was on youtube) wasn't so bad, though it was still unabashedly biased towards Nintendo and completely hostile towards CoD, Madden and Halo and anything that he considered aimed at the "Bro" crowd. Even when I actually agreed with his points I still found it hard to watch, just for how much hate he had for it.

It only really got terrible when GO got picked up by Screw Attack, when he started doing retarded storylines that would make Linkara shake his head. There was, I poo poo you not, a set of videos about his evil twin, the Game Anti-Thinker, who wore a backwards baseball cap and talked endlessly in Bob's most douchebaggy voice about how great Madden and Call of Duty was. It was as embarrassing to watch as it sounds.

That being said, I do really like his Moviebob stuff, and I agree with you on why he's a good critic. Just a warning to steer clear of Game Overthinker stuff.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Miss Wallace posted:

Even public domain stuff gets stupid Youtube BS. Even though the movie is public domain, sometimes other parties who distribute the movie will file copyright claims.

Another one of my Baywatching vids got taken down. It's amazing that disputing it doesn't really matter, regardless of whether something is fair use or not.

This guy seems to have a pretty thorough understanding of Youtube's copyright system and how to dispute claims, if anyone's interested

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Tracula posted:

Didn't the creator even get death threats over Beast Machines?

What creator hasn't gotten death threats at this point?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Mutation posted:

I guess I need to watch Apes a Poppin' 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Same here, Kopa-Kabana sounds like a great character.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Tracula posted:

So did any of you assholes actually go back and count during the last BOTW?

No, because I knew that if I tried to go back I'd be in serious danger of laughing myself to death.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
My knowledge of RWBY is limited entirely to a song I found on Youtube. So if nothing else, it gave me this awesomely cheezy guilty pleasure to listen to.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
The 89 TMNT movie IS a legitimately good movie and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. :colbert:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Benny the Snake posted:

In short, gently caress Bob "Moviebob" Chipman. I move that we name him something else, like how George Bush became "George Shrub".

Did anyone actually call Bush, "George Shrub"? Because that might be one of the lamest things I've ever heard.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

BigRed0427 posted:

I think that kind of works because Spoony was making a point about the game's writing. Bob's joke only had to be done once.

While I was watching that video, once Moviebob did the third "COMMUNITY" joke I literally said "Okay, you can stop that now" out loud.

I normally like his stuff but that got loving atrocious.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Jsor posted:

The Rocket High Heels are problematic™ but I kind of can't get mad at them because it's such a silly idea. I also really like the glowy design.

I think everyone can get behind ROCKET BOOTS™, but what most people find problematic about it is that the logic seems to be, "Well, Samus is a woman, so of course she wears high heels."

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Jsor posted:

Oh definitely, I'm opposed to it on an intellectual level for that reason. It's just there's some part of me that goes "pretty glowy shoes that are also rocket boots :syoon:"

Same here, Rocket Heels gives such cognitive dissonance that I get dizzy from it some times.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Cyron posted:

So i just watched the LP of Metriod; Other M. so from what i saw the game looked like hot garbage. It honestly did everything wrong from storywriting, Charaters, camera work during cinematics. The game feels more like metal gear then metriod.

Hey now, I won't stand for anyone besmirching Metal Gear by comparing it to Other M. That's just not cool. :colbert:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
No doubt, I'm not really a fan of Sarkeesian's videos but I'm 100% supportive of her just because this poo poo needs to be said, and it needs to be said more often.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Blue Star posted:

Just want to pop in and say that I hate when Game Grumps plays a game I don't like for weeks on end. Christ, how long are they going to play Trauma Center? Wrap it the gently caress up, guys.

I also hate when they play game show games. The visuals don't change, its just them failing at answering questions for 10 minutes.

Well they've mentioned a few times on Steam Train that Danny is busy with the new Starbomb album, so I'm guessing they recorded a lot of episodes in advance and that's easier to do with a long series than a bunch of one-offs.

Also you have bad taste because the Wheel of Fortune episodes are easily some of their best as far as I'm concerned.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

PassTheRemote posted:

Moviebob is unwatchable. My biggest issue is he wears his opinions on his sleeve. He has a character in his reviews that is a straw-man for his dislike of dude bro games and gamers. It's not surprising he defended Other M, since it is a Nintendo game, and his nostalgia for Nintendo gets in the way.

I remember he did a video on why he likes video games, which was just 11 minutes of video game references.

His Amazing Spider-man 2 review has him stating he felt like destroying his Spider-man stuff after seeing that movie.

In the end, I have no time for Bob. His reviews are the kind I have tried to steer away from over the years.

:what:

I'll agree that Game Overthinker is unwatchable garbage and his Nintendo fanboyism is embarassing, but are your seriously arguing that a critic isn't allowed to have opinions? Or are they allowed to have them, but they just shouldn't tell us?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

People also cite in-universe justifications for things to write-off ideological and aesthetic criticism and move the discussion over to world-building and stock writing tropes, which is something is think many nerds are far more comfortable about engaging with/having an opinion on.

To bring it back to anime (lol) one of the most common things I've seen use to disagree with criticism of the content is to argue that the content is actually "OK" because there are in-universe justifications.

"But- but, don't you see? The 12 year old girl has to get naked and moan like she's being molested because if she doesn't, the evil demon inside of her will break free and-" :qq:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I feel like the know-it-all thing is at least partially an intentional gimmick, same with the leather gloves, podium littered with dolls and action figures, trenchcoat, and signing off every episode with "Thank god for me". Plus he gets points from me for calling out the bullshit that Anita Sarkeesian gets from gamers. His gimmick can be kinda off-putting though, but if you can power through it he's pretty good at cutting to the heart of things.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

StealthArcher posted:

I fail to see how an addition of a critic like the one who called people who disliked Jack and Jill antisemitic in all but exactly those words to be necessary to any medium, but you're welcome to explain to me why I'm wrong.

Robert Denby posted:

Armond White is very much out of favor and basically banned from critics' circles and any awards ceremonies because he repeatedly heckled filmmakers he didn't like in person at awards ceremonies and film screenings, such as calling Steve McQueen "an embarrassing doorman and garbageman" last year. That was an interesting downfall to watch happen in real time, because it went from his interpretations of films being funny and bizarre, to the realization that he was 100% serious, to his behavior becoming increasingly batshit crazy, followed by every critic and filmmaker on the east coast just ignoring him until he went away. Shockingly he's laid low since the New York Film Critics' Circle voted to expel him because of his behavior.

Has someone done, like, a writeup on all of this because it sounds fascinating. :magical:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I take solace in the fact that they currently have 6 patrons for $16 per month on their Patreon.

Because holy poo poo gently caress these guys.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Ghostpilot posted:

Yeah, about that.

I'm loving depressed.

Welp, apparently I had the wrong patreon. :negative:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

BigRed0427 posted:

I don't care if we ever see the Plinkett gimmick again, but I would love Mike to do another really in-depth movie review. Each one is like a film making seminar.

If they do the next Plinkett review in the style of Half in the Bag Plinkett I'd be very happy.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Dragon Age 2 is a game that I overall enjoyed but could never possibly recommend to anyone else, and I feel like the game is overall a big stack of wasted potential. One thing I keep hearing is that the team that made it hadn't had any involvement Origins, and then had the sequel dropped in their lap after Origins became a surprise hit. They had a decent budget but were constantly pushed to rush the game out to capitalize on the first game and thus a shitload of corners had to be cut. Considering the circumstances DA2 is kind of impressive in a way, but again, I'd never recommend it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Game Grumps (I know, I know) played about an hour's worth of Sonic Boom, and the first six or so minutes of Part 7 breaks down some of the first cutscenes frame by frame to show how Not-Finished the game is.

I thought it was funny, but the rest of the episode is just Arin being completely lost in what I assume to be the Hub area, and not nearly as amusing.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Jay O posted:

Wow. An entire page of GAR-BAGE DICK posts.

You fool! You've broken the streak!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I'm one of those weirdos who loved Bioshock 2 when it was first released and hold it up as probably one of my favorite FPS games of all time. I'll admit that Bioshock 1 is a better game overall, complete package of story, gameplay, ambience, et al, but if I'm in a mood to play a Bioshock game I'm probably gonna go back and play 2.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Tracula posted:

My main issue with Bioshock 2 was that the vending machines didn't talk anymore :( I was so disappointed every time going to one and not hearing "WELCOME TO THE CIRCUS OF VALUUUESSS!"

But I'm pretty sure they still do that :confused:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Tracula posted:

Did they? For some reason I distinctly remember them not talking anymore.

Edit: Just googled a bit and according to the wiki "Due to a bug, most of the vending machines in BioShock 2 no longer produce any sounds or jingles, but the jingles do appear in the single-player DLCs."

I'll take your word for it I guess, since I'd need to dig out my 360 to check and :effort:

Maybe those noises are just so ingrained in my head that I just imagined them whenever I walked up to vending machine.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Annointed posted:

But Joe has had his videos taken down by bots before. So he would know the difference between a claim from a bot to one given out by a copyright holder.

Capcom went into panic mode for a while since the videos leaked early. I know one youtube personality who's worked with Capcom in the past got a call personally from a Capcom employee asking him to take his videos on the leaks down until the official release, which he did. Not everyone has that connection to Capcom though so most of them were probably just hit with copyright notices for expediency.

It sucks for Joe but I seriously doubt that it was targeted at him specifically, just whichever employee who was told to get all those videos off youtube right the gently caress now. I'm guessing Joe can file a counter-claim or whatever and Capcom won't fight it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Then I'm out of ideas, Capcom has been horribly run for a while now so I can buy it that they'd do something like that.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
That ending was so great :allears:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
It just goes to show how incredibly necessary a good PR guy is, but I feel like even lovely PR guys would have looked the dev's response and gone, "these guys hosed up BIG time."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Infamous Sphere posted:

I can certainly say that I make a lot less money than Ursa, because I do a niche show and don't talk about fan stuff and I'm not on any other websites and blah blah blah. But yes, ad revenue gives you a very small income indeed. I'm wondering about getting a patreon, but I do feel a bit weird asking people for money when my life keeps getting in the way of my video-making. (Also I'm not that popular.) I've never enabled midrolls because I thought people would find them way too annoying, but maybe I will from now on. (Plus a Youtube channel because I don't have one of those either.) I think I can safely say that Ursa is a much more organised woman than I am.

If you do end up doing a Patreon, you can do what Smooth McGroove does and charge on a per video basis rather weekly or monthly or whatever.

• Locked thread