Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

ZeeBoi posted:

Spoony continued to be a grumpy nitpicking shithead in his vlog of Pacific Rim. Guy couldn't just have fun with the movie and made it SERIOUS BUSINESS.

I was a fan since '08 or so, but I'm pretty much over him now. Notice his propensity to pick up the squeaky-toy and play catch with Oreo whenever Miles speaks. I was just shocked at how :effort: his con riffs where; he spent a large portion of the time simply watching it with the audience in silence as though he was contributing something by his mere presence.

Chuck Sonneburg (aka SFDebris) has to be my favorite critic at the moment. He manages to bring reasoned, scholarly approach without becoming droll or didactic. I've only watched a fraction of the shows he reviews, yet I have seen every one of his reviews at least once -- actually managed to pick up enough about Star Trek and Dr. Who to be able to contribute to the conversation.

His videos are simple and free of the over-production that tends to follow other reviewers as their egos become inflated. He also keeps a rigid schedule, which is far more important to building a viewer base than the vast majority of reviewers realize.

If you have any interest in science fiction (heck, even if you don't), I can't recommend him highly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Mokinokaro posted:

He's fixed it.

He's so right though: Space Age Love Song is actually a pretty awesome song.

Yeah, this is the first time I've heard it; that and "Transfer Affections" are pretty good songs. And he's absolutely right about them being a band for '82-'83, though. It's a real shame that they wound up being known more for their hair than the music, because Space Age Love Song is a song I can imagine a lot of bands being proud of.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

I suppose that in a matter of speaking, Sparky Sweets, PhD. would qualify: Thug Notes. The tagline sums him up best: Classic Literature. Original Gangster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nm61IoNdHg

Just starting in June, he's been updating consistently every Tuesday. Quality stuff through-and-through.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 24, 2013

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

I always thought it weird that a musician / audiophile like Todd so often has audio issues in his videos. That said, though, the One Hit Wonderland series has been pretty fun.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

I would enjoy (and attempt more than an episode every few months) Linkara more if he wasn't trying to use his voice to punch a hole through the back if my head.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

Well, the Mightnight Screening for The Smurfs 2 is up and, uh,

:stare:

Before now I hadn't really thought it possible to hate a movie too much.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Maremidon posted:

Bennett The Sage did another music review video. I am informed Todd appears to rant about Peter Cetera.

EDIT: Just watched the entire video, and it's pretty boring. Can't recommend it.

I thought I'd give Bennett a shot, but goodness, I was bored listening to this in the background. He strikes me as a good example of a person who'd be better off writing for someone else to perform; he's just not suited to being in front of the camera.

Does have have an relation to Nostalgia Chick? There seems to be a number of resemblances in appearance and mannerisms.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Just when you thought it was safe to dust off thoes old VHSs...The Wheel Of The Worst RETURNS!

Much shorter than the others but still a hell of a lot of fun! And I would never want to find myself in a car that has a laughing Rich Evans behind the wheel.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Halibut Barn posted:

Spoony has a new video about The Bureau, the game that started the whole "Betrayal!" thing, and...well, his opinion will hardly be surprising, but jeez, throughout the whole video he looks like he's just a moment away from slitting his wrists right then and there. I know the game is bad and boring, but usually he can muster up more energy than this.

It was coming off the heels of his vlog earlier that day about how he doesn't actually hate everything and how he disagrees with the "Spoony Hates Everything" responses he's been getting.

Of course, it doesn't help his cause when he asserts that people "just don't get it" and continues to be negative about the things he likes (contradicting himself in the very same vlog). :shrug: At this point I think he'd be much better off keeping away from the camera when he doesn't have a script.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"I will not!" :corsair:

achillesforever6 posted:

I think one of them was an early Cinema Snob episode movie too.

Yeah, Brad reviewed Crazy Fat Ethel 2 early on. That was just a great episode of the Best of the Worst; though the Psycho From Texas is just hosed. Rather, than dancing scene is just...boy.

Also Sex Weirdo is the best name for a movie -- heck, anything really!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

And Lupa does Witchcraft 9 with a surprise special guest It's Phelous

I became a fan of Lupa's stuff from her Subspecies reviews and has been eagerly awaiting new content from her since she's gone to an irregular release schedule over the summer, but goodness, I could only make it through about five minutes of this.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

I am indeed still doing Charmed. :) And Baywatch gets amazing during it's peak, I'm looking forward to getting there.

Oh snap, all this time and I never knew! :aaa: I've been looking forward to more Charmed and Baywatch despite not having so much was watched an episode of either!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

poparena posted:

I've started a look at The Werewolf Chronicles, a young adult book trilogy from 1996 that kind of acts as a bridge between Goosebumps and Animorphs. A really stupid bridge.

I agree with the above: I really enjoyed it! And I have to agree that few things take me out of a video faster (or close it completely) than overlong intros. I was in high school the time a lot of these books came out, but I'd regularly pick them up for my nephew who loved the Goosebumps to bits. I can't overstate how huge Goosebumps were at the time and once Harry Potter took off, my goodness. It wasn't unusual to see as much as a third of a bookstore dedicated to these titles alone.

The audio levels could be evened out a little (really it's not too bad), but I think that a microphone screen (even a rudimentary one) would be useful as there were a number of points where your breath could be heard cutting in, especially on some of the sharper consonants.

I hope it's something you keep up with, as it chronicles an untapped genre at about the time I'd gotten out of it (last book I recall was Diane Hoh's Funhouse from the Point Horror line). Your style reminds me of Chuck Sonneburg (SFDebris) whom I admire a great deal.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

A new One Hit Wonderland from Todd. This time it's Rockwell's "Somebody's Watching Me." :stalker:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

They just ordered a script for a pilot, unless I hear of a series actually being shot I don't think it's likely to happen.

She said hopefully, gathering all manner of good luck charms around her.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

CynCyanide posted:

Todd gets so hung up on figurative language. Maybe he's just bad at interpreting it or something. Bruno Mars wanted to sing about hot monkey sex and gorillas denote strength, power, and virility to the general public. A bonobo is too much like a chimp and those are associated with funny animal sidekicks that wear roller skates and space suits. Was the song successful in conveying the imagery of hot monkey sex or not? Whether or not it was factually accurate is beside the point.
In his next review, Todd will complain that Lionel Richie's "Dancing on the Ceiling" is terrible primarily because you can't really dance on a ceiling unless you're in a zero-gravity environment.

I thought it was okay, but I agree that Todd gets too pedantic at times. Each reviewer has a flaw, and for me this is Todd's. Eventually it just gets to where it's the same joke. I'm sure that's an unavoidable issue when it comes to doing a twelve minute review of a three minute song versus a career in One-Hit Wonderland; especially when it is a current, popular song that may not have bothered with otherwise.

I rarely advocate a reviewer to go shorter, but in Todd's case I think it may be better to go ten minutes for a song review and a bit longer with the OHW's.

Seriously though, what is up with Bruno and monkeys?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

It was around the time when he did the Animalympics video that he realized how out of shape he was (that was when he started dropping weight and working out). As for the hair, he shaved his head for one of the projects he'd worked on.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

E: Also Brad stepped down as cohost of Radiodrome and is now going to do a new podcast with the rest of Snob regulars like Jake, Brian, etc.

Josh was the sole reason why I didn't listen to Radiodrome, so I am looking very forward to this.

Edit: I should rephrase that he was the reason why I couldn't make it past more than a few episodes.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 7, 2013

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

New One Hit Wonderland and it's... Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm?

I'm with him on Nu metal as a genre, and it was utterly ubiquitous in the early-mid 2000's. I did genuinely like Movies, though, which I'd heard before Smooth Criminal. :blush: They lost me when Smooth Criminal came around, though.

I'm a little surprised they were considered Nu Metal, though. They struck me as having more in common with say Smash Mouth, Offspring, and Sum 41 than Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park or Papa Roach. Alien Ant Farm didn't seem nearly angry enough, which was part of the appeal for me coming out of the the late 90's when so much was slick, dark and over-produced. Good luck finding a video from this period that didn't have either a dark / post-apocalyptic theme, broke the song for a spoken word or horribly-acted interlude (seriously, these are the worst), or wasn't shot with a fish-eye lens.

A lot of the music, and particularly the videos, were bright, colorful and fun again. But that seemed pass like the eye of a storm as soon music was plunged back into overwrought, obnoxious :emo: Nu Metal and Creed and ugh.

I hadn't known that AAF had shot 3 versions of Movies, though. I'd only known of two (and only remembered one). I liked the song, but :cmon:

Anyway, that was a fun OHW! Shame it wasn't longer, but it didn't seem to be all that much to say about Alien Ant Farm. I certainly don't envy Todd for that self-education on Nu Metal.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Scorched Spitz posted:

Here's an idea of how widespread nu-metal was. The Black Eyed Peas did a song with Papa Roach.

That was a thing that happened? Wow. I gave it a listen and...it's not so bad. Rather, at least it sounds different than a typical nu metal song, which is a plus? :shobon:

I suppose you could trace nu metal back to Faith No More, but man, I really hate to associate them to what came after. Ultimately that's what the genre was, though: FNM strained through a napkin soiled with eyeliner and tears.

I gave the episode another watch and when Linkin Park screeches in with "Crawlllllling innnnnn myyyyy skinnnnnnnn!" My entire body clenches. Dear god, I hate that song. Todd once compared Willow Smith's Whip My Hair to Chinese water torture; Linkin Park, Limp Biskit's cover of Faith and Drowning Pool's Bodies are the aural equivalent of bamboo shoots under the fingernails.

Numberfour posted:

Hello everyone, Cecil from Good Bad Flicks here. Been lurking for quite some time.

This is mostly a one man show, with the exception of a good friend of mine that does the intro animations. Comments, criticisms welcome. Hope you take the time and enjoy them.

I'd been meaning to check our your stuff but got sidetracked; thankfully the post above reminded me. I gave Traxx a watch and really enjoyed it. I'll be sure to check out your other videos on Blip so you get your :10bux:. :)

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

First and foremost:

Numberfour posted:

Hello everyone, Cecil from Good Bad Flicks here. Been lurking for quite some time.

This is mostly a one man show, with the exception of a good friend of mine that does the intro animations. Comments, criticisms welcome. Hope you take the time and enjoy them.

Checked out half a dozen or so videos on your site and I have one question: why am I only hearing of you now? :aaa: Even the early videos are good, and that's rare. The only issue I had with those were that the brief "also seen in" recaps for the principal actors of that particular movie had a tendency to add up to a sizeable chunk of the video. But that's much less of an issue in the more recent stuff.

I still have a heck of a lot to pour through, but you have a new fan in me. :)

Edit: Also to echo what Jay O said: don't sell yourself short. I'm very much the same way in regards to selling myself, but you're really are much better than you let on in your initial post.

Best of luck on Radiodrome, by the way!

Scorched Spitz posted:

I actually like Linkin Park, but that's because they and Rage Against the Machine were the only popular rap-rock bands that didn't just do it as a gimmick. You can tell Jacoby Shaddix and Fred Durst aren't really rappers, they're just doing it because they can't sing worth a drat. Mike Shinoda's actually a decent emcee and a great beatmaker, it's just that those talents wound up mostly on non-single material and his side project with Styles of Beyond.

I never did follow Rage Against the Machine much, though I'd heard about them often. They did seem to conduct themselves with a purpose, or a message, that transcended the music and had garnered a lot of respect. I recall hearing that they seemed to lose the plot around the mid-2000's, though.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 10, 2013

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

I don't know about Doug's joke, but that seems to be a double standard in a lot of things. "Men don't get sexually harassed, that's just silly!" It's especially prevalent in Charmed. Season 7 has a plot where a guy gets fired for lying after saying Phoebe forcefully made out with him at work. Which she did, but it was such an impossibility he was fired, and it was played for laughs. Hilarious!

By the way I'm in the middle of Charmed. Could you tell?

You poor, poor thing. I hadn't watched an episode of Charmed aside from what you covered in your reviews, but if those episodes were of the halcyon days of the show then I can only imagine what you're enduring now.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

So I talked about season 7 of Charmed for 2 hours. I'm sorry.
(I'm not sorry)

http://olpresents.blogspot.com/2013/11/manic-episodes-charmed-season-7.html

:neckbeard: I'm so on board for this!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

So I talked about season 7 of Charmed for 2 hours. I'm sorry.
(I'm not sorry)

http://olpresents.blogspot.com/2013/11/manic-episodes-charmed-season-7.html

I've been :argh:'ing Sons of Anarchy for the past few seasons and was set to quit this season a couple months back but goons asked me to keep up with it. Even with as horrible as that show is, I am thankful that it's not Charmed. Phoebe is bad, but Piper is absolutely insufferable. I struggle to see a moment in the recap where she's not a wretched, bitter, condescending harpy. She makes the latter-series Gemma from Sons almost likeable, and that's a hell of an achievement.

Love your impressions of her and Phoebe, by the way. :v: It's up there with SFDebris' megalomaniac, comic super-villain Janeway ("One of you will be in charge of juggling live cobras -- the rest of you won't be so lucky!")

Rose McGowan is great, though. She really does seem to be trying to make the best out of it and honestly I'd love to see the show more focused on her. Seeing the direction that the series would go in after her departure puts a different spin on Shannen Doherty's reputation as a difficult actor, because egos have gone berserk in her absence.

Anyway, it was a long wait but the wait was definitely worth it! :neckbeard:

Mr.Radar posted:

New Wheel of the Worst, finally featuring Tree Stand Safety :woop:. Also, does anyone know what's up with Rich's hand? It looks like it's missing a finger and it doesn't look like an effect (especially since they don't reference it at all throughout the video) :ohdear:

Tree Stand Safety was more disappointed than I ever imagined, but the latter two more than made up for it. I'm honestly baffled by the Incredible Instant Adoring Boyfriend (IIAB). What's even crazier is that I've found it on Youtube and the number of people that are actually, genuinely, :swoon: over it tells me that not only was there a market for it after all, but that they were way ahead of their time!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

Didn't Batman kill a couple people in the first film? As I recall he was actually pretty lax on the no kill rule until Dark Knight, hell in Batman Begins he let's Ra's die .

I don't readily recall if he killed anybody in the first film, aside from the Joker (which could be called indirect or accidental), but his anti-gun rule went way out of the window.

Batman Returns, on the other hand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXo3JRDQdws

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 27, 2013

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Already at over $4,000 in under 20 mins.

Nearly 20k now. I'd never went to Spill.com, but based on that video and the overwhelming support these guys are getting, I'll have to change that.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Deofuta posted:

The latest Random Button podcast has Brad bringing in their first ever interviewee, an extra from Medea's Christmas who played a member of the Klan! And the movie isn't too bad to listen about either. Overall I am really liking this new project of his.

Yeesh, not that I needed another reason to dislike Josh Hadley, but that story at the beginning gave me one.

To think that when I was introduced to the Cinema Snob way back when he was on youtube, I thought: "who's this guy with terrible lighting and why does he sound like a young Jack Nicholson?" The latter of which I honestly thought was an act. Now I'd just about listen to him read out of a phone book.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Listening to that extra's story on the Random Button reminded me of a few movies I'd been on (an extra on Now You See Me and a stand-in on the upcoming the Bag Man and Barefoot). The hours can be grueling and the pay isn't so hot, but you'll always come away from those with a story to tell.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Benne posted:

New One Hit Wonderland--"You Spin Me Round (Like a record)"

The original version, not the lovely Flo Rida cover

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/one-hit-wonderland-you-spin-me-round-like-a-record-by-dead-or-alive-6710912

I haven't seen the review yet, but from what I know of the band, Todd is going to have some fun with this.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Chilly this holiday season? Why not warm up with a bit of Baywatchin': Heat Wave!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

A great one by Good Bad Flicks: Santa's Slay. Wonderful intro sequence as well! :D

I caught a glimpse of this movie on the latest OSW Review, but getting an in-depth look at it now has me mystified. For the over-the-top camp this movie is, the cast is remarkable! Really, that movie is surprisingly well done to have been cranked out inside of a month!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

I somehow managed to avoid watching Baywatch as I was growing up (:aaa: it started in '89?). Crazy to think that it started on NBC and was canceled after the first season* only to survive in syndication thanks to Hasselhoff. I had no idea he was that successful. Hasselhoff could buy a small country based on what he made from Baywatch alone.

*NBC, making bad decisions since 1990.

I'm enjoying the hell out of the reviews though; especially the release schedule with 'em! :toot: Baywatch so perfectly encapsulates the 90's that it's hard not to get caught up in a wave of nostalgia for the time despite not having watched the show.

Edit: I wonder if the show's popularity had influence with our Junior High getting a lifeguard to teach us First Aid, CPR, and all other manners of medical / water safety as an actual, full-fledged course. :raise:

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 3, 2014

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Branching out from the Good Bad Flicks, Cecil tries a Good Bad Game: Manhunter New York.

I'd played several Sierra games as a kid, but never knew of this one. I've seen sadistic games, I've played sadistic games, but this is a level of sadism one rarely encounters. Manhunter's just mean.

I'm really digging the 8-bit animations / interludes as well. I'm not sure how much additional work / time they add to the review, but they certainly do add a lot!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

In defense of Todd's number one, I had to hear that song almost every fuckin' day. It's not good, it's just meh. At least with Katy's Perry's previous hits, there was some sign of life behind them. I can see why people would want to listen to California Gurls or Teenage dream.

At least Blurred Lines and Bitches Love Me were interesting-bad. People were actually talking about them.

Yeah, it's honestly rare that I'm in my car any longer than ten minutes where I don't hear it. I don't hate the song, in fact there are tiny parts of it that I like, but it's out of my mind seconds after it finishes.

Todd's latest video has kind of put me off on him simply due to how clear it was that he didn't want to do it. It comes off as a chore that he suffered through and just wanted to end as quickly as possible (and even says as much in the video). It's the difference between hating what you're reviewing and hating to do the review in the first place. I found it all intensely condescending with little humor or insight to be found.

Not that it's entirely his fault: it has been a dismal year for music after all. He could probably use a break from reviewing modern songs to find something he can take some joy out of. Too many of his reviews of modern songs rely on the:
  • Four Chords of Pop.
  • White Guy With Acoustic Guitar.
  • Pedantic, literal interpretations of song lyrics.
Strange that a guy who once said that cynicism was his least favorite quality and that it doesn't lead to anything releases a video that's nearly half an hour of pure, undiluted cynicism.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Man, the 80's had nothing on the 70's when it came to :psyduck:, incoherent drug-fueled productions. I can't even begin to fathom the train of thought that would lead that to the conclusion that this movie would be a good idea. Much less "this generations Gone with the Wind ."

That said, it has given me some songs to check out. :dance:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

I still can't go over the fact that they decided to make a movie version of what is possibly The Beatles's greatest album without any of the Beatles involved* and they thought "This is going to be this generation's Gone With The Wind" . To me, hubris doesn't even touch what ever the hell these guys were thinking.

*I know, the Beatles were broken up and John Lennon was dead by this point but still

Actually John Lennon was still around then. He died towards the end of 1980, while the movie came out in '78.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

RLM's AvP commentary is perfect. Take it from me...someone who still uses the screen name of an AvP character......:smith:

http://redlettermedia.bandcamp.com/track/alien-vs-predator-half-in-the-bag-commentary-track

They also released a commentary track of Samurai Cop, which is the most 1989iest movie that Obscurus Lupa covered a couple years back.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

No discussion about Reb Brown, the amazing theme song, or the hang gliding scene? Much less Rich's reaction to said scene? For shame RLM, for shame :argh:

I think that they may have seen Spoony's review of the movie for them to have specifically avoided talking about those things.

And man, a movie has to be truly godawful for them to not be able to sit through it. And then to have two of them on one episode? :gonk:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

I've developed a deep, fist-shaking hatred of both the PS4 and Lou Reed's Perfect Day. Hearing it 2-3 times a video aside, who at Sony thought that equating the PS4 to heroin addiction was a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Ema Nymton posted:

Babiiiiiessss. Bay. Beees!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC2gIPnUCgw&t=29s

• Locked thread