Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Has Phelous slowed to a crawl at releasing content? He seemed to be on a huge roll of releasing stuff and he seems to have gone quiet.
He just did a two-parter on the latest "Resident Evil" movie: here and here. Its funny, if a little derivative of Red Letter Media. The main attraction here is seeing that there is no consistent plot thread between five movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Red Letter Media just did a new episode of Best of the Worst where they looked at three movies I think a lot of people here are familiar with: "Deadly Prey", "Hard Ticket to Hawaii", and "Miami Connection". All three of these movies are well worth watching on their own if you like bad movies, but be warned, they do spoil some of the most batshit/funny parts in this video.

EDIT: I'm kind of amazed they didn't mention the alternate ending to "Miami Connection".

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 24, 2013

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Phelous reviewed "Jason Goes to Hell" in two parts. What a strange, strange movie.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Benne posted:

I first discovered TGWTG back in 2010 when they were playing those loving Metro PCS ads with the Indian stereotype dude :suicide:
The worst part about those ads was that there was a several months respite from them, then BOOM! New ads with the same guys run just as loving endlessly.

I too have turned off AdBlock on Blip and reviewer sites only. It is amazing how much of a difference AdBlock makes for sites like The Onion though. Looking at that on someone else's browser as it just chugged along because of the massive amounts of obnoxious, intrusive ads was just painful.

Srice posted:

And yeah Rifftrax gets around all that legal stuff by just selling the audio track. They certainly wouldn't be able to afford to do commentary on stuff like The Avengers if it was MST3k style, that's for sure.
They actually changed their business model drastically in the last year. They only very occasionally (like a few times a year) do big Hollywood blockbusters and have now started focusing on titles they can license super-cheap from studios. For $10 you get a movie with the Rifftrax synched to it.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 20, 2013

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

A good poster posted:

Did they get into some kind of legal trouble, or is there just a bigger profit margin on these ten-dollar movies after paying the license fees?
The latter. Plus the benefit of most of the VOD movies running 100 minutes max, as opposed to the 130-170-minute runtime their 'blockbuster' riffs have had.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Also Doug said the next Editorial is going to be about why so many women find Loki in the Avengers/Thor so attractive.

Cartoon Violence posted:

That should be really interesting. I get that Loki's actor is an attractive guy and the character is written to be a very likeable bad guy, but I can't wrap my head around that subculture that not only obsesses over him, but obsesses over incest stuff between him and Thor, or weird rape-y stuff between him and Thor.
I hope he goes into how in Norse mythology, Loki was turned into a female horse for awhile that gave birth to a six-legged horse Odin used as his steed. That kind of trumps everything in terms of weirdness.

Actually, I take that back. I once saw a woman on the subway with a school binder that was nothing but printed-out screengrabs of Tom Hiddleston as Loki. She was with two friends who were chatting amongst themselves as she stared intently at these pictures. To make this even stranger, this was when "Avengers" was just in theaters, so these were screengrabs from a bootleg. :wtc:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
I think the whole Tropes vs Women series isn't terribly great, but I do love that the ugliest, most backwards-thinking people put themselves right into the spotlight for all to see. The creator accomplished something that even SA has done only rarely: put a massive amount of attention onto a truly heinous bunch of people.

I really hope that the reaction to the videos causes some kind of massive rethinking of the rampant, absolutely unforgivable amounts of misogyny and homophobia present now in gaming culture. Maybe get companies to very publicly distance themselves from the worst of them. But that's asking morality to trump money.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

I hated Sucker Punch too but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.[...] The way I see it, JO's still not over Sucker Punch[..]

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I remain 100% if this was anyone but Snyder there'd be at least a decent number of less bad reviews.
"Sucker Punch" was Zack Snyder's pet project, which he not only directed but co-wrote the screenplay, wrote the original story treatment for, and co-produced with his wife under his own production company (Cruel and Unusual Films). It was severely misguided, deeply offensive, and read like something that was made by a sheltered nerd who has no idea what these strange things called 'women' are. Snyder had an enormous amount of creative control over it, and it was something he'd wanted to make for years. He had an opportunity most directors would kill for, an $80 million budget, and decided to make pandering bullshit. Supposedly his preferred cut was even worse than what ended up in theaters, had something like five song-and-dance numbers, and Warner Bros. forced him to make massive cuts so it would at least be semi-watchable.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Why is anyone on here still watching Spoony? He's loving garbage.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Pirate Jenny posted:

You are allowed one f-bomb in PG-13 movies depending on the context/how obscured it is by the sound/visuals.
Some movies have gotten away with two ("The Social Network"), but generally PG-13 movies only have one use of it. You can't say 'motherfucker' in a PG-13 because that gives the word a sexual context. Saying 'gently caress' in a sexual context immediately gets you an R, as per "To Rome With Love" and "Waiting For Guffman". This dates back really far too; the producers of "Patton" were warned to change a line of dialogue in the opening monologue to avoid an R ("They know as much as they do about fighting as they do about loving" was changed to "They know as much about fighting as they do about fornicating").

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Actually they just cut that scene so that Colin Firth only says 'gently caress' twice instead of several times. Even the UK, which has a similar policy regarding the word, passed the film uncut with a 12 rating because of the context of the scene.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

dijon du jour posted:

Brad seems to be trying to wage some kind of stupid war against movie critics, defending his schlocky horror flicks against all who would speak ill of them, while aggressively attacking all artsy films that critics love.

As much as I love his show, there are some episodes of his I just can't watch because of how annoying he gets, laying a bunch of "sick burns" on "stuck up movie critics". :jerkbag:
This is exactly why I stopped watching his stuff about a year ago, that and because every time he sees something he doesn't like, there's a four-month period where every single video he makes stops cold so he can make a "boy I sure do hate Tim and Eric/Terrance Malick/"The Dark Knight Rises"':smug: non-joke.

Also I got sick of hearing, "That was a bad movie because the actress didn't show her tits."

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
I'm surprised that the guy who talked passionately about how a series of movies should be consistent in tone, not rely on incredibly stupid plot contrivance, have good scene blocking and pacing, and at all costs avoid excessive, lovely-looking CGI, liked the first Wolverine movie.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Wait, what? Is it kosher to discuss that here(do they count as internet critics?) because I have no idea what happened here and am really curious.
This came up in the last thread (which I can't find at the moment), but there seemed to be a lot of 'he said she said' shenanigans going on. Also this was years ago, so I may miss something. As Screw Attack was getting more popular, Tom seemed to want a greater financial and creative stake in the site, making it a partnership between him and Craig. Craig claimed that in the weeks before he left and/or was fired, Tom was coming in late for work and showing little to no interest in work at Screw Attack. At some point, Craig assumed full control of the site financially and creatively without consulting Tom about it, which promptly caused Tom to quit Screw Attack and make his own site (which I think is defunct now?).

EDIT: gently caress, beaten.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Is there a gif of this showing the cart actually moving?
Just whipped these up. Linking because they're kinda big (3.3 and 2.7MB respectively): http://i.imgur.com/pneU6Rw.gif, http://i.imgur.com/Cv28aJ6.gif

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
The people doing that press junket should've known that the only way to get Bruce Willis to give an enthusiastic interview is to get him hammered:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxXMTM3EMaM

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
It took me 10 seconds of Google to find three different ads, done by the National Guard with Warner Bros. using "Man of Steel", which were played endlessly last summer whenever I went to a multiplex. The National Guard's YouTube page also hosted making-ofs for "Man of Steel", which you can see the first part of here. It was a real missed opportunity that she could have used more footage from these, especially Snyder's comments in that third ad, explicitly saying "y'know the National Guard is a lot like Superman."

That said, the whole thing about DreamWorks making "The Fifth Estate" strictly to please the DOD for further "Transformers" movies felt like a very, very misguided and poorly thought-out bit of editorializing. "Estate" wasn't just a DreamWorks project, it was a co-production between DreamWorks, Disney (under Touchstone), and three other production companies, with worldwide distribution split between several companies as well. I seriously doubt the reason it sucked and portrayed Assange badly was because someone wanted Michael Bay money.

EDIT: I should say that if you were outside of the US, you probably didn't see these ads as they'd have no point, since the National Guard is an organization that only recruits in the US.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 18, 2014

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Kunster posted:

I do recall Kyle saying Crispin Glover was polite when requesting his removal of the What Am I review, and it was more of a courtesy case rather than a major lawsuit threat.
Also Glover is like Matthew Barney in that he only wants his films shown his own way and has said he will never release them on video, so I can see a review with clips potentially being a problem.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

Latter era Orson Wells should be a tragic figure but he was such a hilarious rear end in a top hat about everything he just makes you smile.

Case in point...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFevH5vP32s

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
The article doesn't mention it, but one of the big reasons why these guys tend to look at films from a nitpicky, 'missing the forest for the trees' kind of way has a lot to do with how they watch a movie repeatedly specifically to scour for funny or relevant clips, as opposed to sitting down in a theater, watching the film all the way through in a single sitting, then writing a review.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Infamous Sphere posted:

Huh! I actually had no idea about Mad Dog Morgan - just looked it up, and...it's practically an exploitation film? Well that would certainly be interesting to watch. I haven't seen enough Australian cinema. However, I did a review of a whole movie about prison rape a couple of months ago, so maybe my show's prison rape quota is maxed out for the time being. I've certainly had a few people get depressed by my tendency to cover rather bleak movies with bad endings.
"Mad Dog Morgan" I wouldn't exactly call good, but it is pretty fascinating to watch and then read about. Its astonishing a movie that out there got the funding it did.

Another Austrailian movie from the 70s I'd recommend is "Wake in Fright", which is an existential nightmare of binge-drinking and kangaroo hunting. Not exactly cheery, but it does have some points of interest for your show. A big part of the ending is a character attempts suicide, and part of what brings it on is that he may or may not have had drunken sex with another man. What's also interesting is that the sole straight relationship is just about the most skeevy and depressing thing in the movie.

Benne posted:

The RLM crew watches all 3 Transformers movies at the same time. It goes about as well as you'd expect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rfup0XKx7o
These simpletons don't know the first thing about art. Michael Bay is one of the best visual artists of the century and his films are smart and carefully constructed. He does things with his moving camera that Hitchcock and Ophuls would've loved.

Oh, sorry... don't know what came over me there.

Infamous Sphere posted:

That was pretty amazing -a great thing to start the day with here, and it made me ever so glad that I haven't watched a single Transformers movie. My brother and his friend were going to watch the second one together, and I was going to go, only to decide not to at the last minute. It's apparently the worst of the three, so I had a very lucky escape.
It really can't be overstated how bad the second movie is. The SFDebris review sums it up pretty nicely. The first movie at least gives something of an illusion that you're watching a movie, and the second is just action sequences strung along by whatever the writers came up with before the strike happened. I can't even imagine how intolerable the fourth must be, what with it running 165 minutes.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Back when Vanilla Ice was trying to make a comeback (early 2000s-ish), a friend of mine (who was in a band playing at the same place) hung out on his tour bus and was regaled by Ice telling stories of 'the good old days' when he would snort cocaine off of 12-year-old girls. Yeah, he's a loving awful human being.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
New Best of the Worst!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pgbB9ORqRg

Odd that this is on YouTube and not Blip. Also odd is that none of them have heard of "Space Mutiny" before. I can't remember if I heard it from this thread or not, but aren't they doing "Street Trash" on a future episode?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Any of the Soviet fantasy movies would be up there for me ("The Day the Earth Froze" is gorgeous). "The Magic Sword" and "Gorgo" are fun on their own as well.

On topic, SFDebris did a pretty interesting review of "Logan's Run" and has started reviewing "Exosquad" a series I have never heard of that has an interesting history to it.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Its always disheartening to me to see grown men and women automatically dismiss something because it’s critically acclaimed or ‘arty’, so Mike's reaction I found pretty grating. He was acting like someone in a conversation who wants everyone in the world to know in no uncertain terms how much they hated [thing that's popular right now]. Jay at least gave the thing a chance. Linklater for some reason can really rub people the wrong way. I know several people who think "Waking Life" is one of the worst movies ever made.

Hopefully this doesn’t become a running thing on RLM, because hating on arthouse stuff for the hell of it got run into the loving ground by The Cinema Snob.

Infamous Sphere posted:

So the film ends up being an interesting social document - and also a sign of just how damned obvious you could be about your LGBT characters in the production code era.
"The Third Man" (1949) also has two men living together who are obviously a gay couple, but its never outright stated so the filmmakers got away with it.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 6, 2014

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Endorph posted:

I unfollowed her because she got really mad about RWBY for some reason and kept yelling NERDS over and over at the people who like it and the people who make it.

Friendly reminder that this woman reviews anime for a living. Kind of a stones in glass houses thing. Like, RWBY is pretty poo poo, but come on.
After seeing it on Zorak’s stream, I thought RWBY deserved every bit of hate it got, especially since it was a professionally-made production and not some fan project. Also the guy who made it did that Halo-Metroid crossover animation that was big a few years ago that ended with Master Chief (revealed to be a hot lady under the helmet) and Samus making out. Classy!

BigRed0427 posted:

Wait, what? I mean I have heard people say they don't like the Marvel films because they are either too kiddie or don't like the idea of multiple franchises having a single continuity. But how does the MCU kill movies as an artform?

e X posted:

Seriously, you can label a lot of criticism at Marvel, but fundamentally their movies are no different from most other summer blockbusters.
I think like a lot of people they’re at the point where they’re sick of 90% of wide-release movies being superheroes, and Marvel is pumping these movies out at a lightning pace. They also recently fired Edgar Wright for apparently not playing ball, and that's just added more fuel to the fire.

Also “Guardians of the Galaxy” in particular is getting flack because James Gunn, its director, has said some outrageously stupid things like “Why is committing rape such a taboo in video games when murder isn’t?”, has said some pretty homophobic things on his website, and has been accused many times of misogyny, which extends into a couple of scenes in “Guardians of the Galaxy” apparently.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

Apparently, the next Tropes vs Women is going to involve Alien somehow. The poo poo is already flying. Again. :sigh:

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/508012973235785728
I wonder if she'll cover Veronica Cartwright's character, because holy poo poo does she become the most typical "WAAAGH! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! WAGGGGH!" horror movie character for the second half of that movie. Both times I've seen "Alien" on the big screen, with an audience, her lines would get either bad laughs or audible groans. She's an awful part of an otherwise pretty stellar movie.

I actually just rewatched "Alien 3" recently, and Ripley's character is quite interesting in that one. Sigourney Weaver really sells her as trying to hold onto some semblance of sanity after everyone she's met in the last two movies has died horribly, and her love interest gets killed off less than halfway through.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

Let's move on at this point:

We Hate Movies is one of the funniest movie podcasts going right now and this is a great time to jump in: http://www.whmpodcast.com/

They're doing a best of thing for the past couple months and some of their best stuff is being reuploaded. Battle of Endor, Rocky 4, Tuff Turf and Invisible Child are all amazing episodes. Friday the 13th Part 5 is good too if only for the constant Star Trek diversions.
Their episode on "The Butterfly Effect" is pretty fantastic, especially them imagining the screenwriters as stoned teenagers trying to one-up each other on putting 'edgy' and 'dark' content into their script. They also discuss the infamous alternate ending where Ashton Kutcher's character kills himself before he's born by strangling himself with his umbilical cord.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Great retrospective, and a nice way to say goodbye to your video content. I don't know how much you follow ADTRW, but everyone else here had about the same reaction to "A World With No Sadness, Baby" as you did, in that everyone was just floored by it. My only real complaint with the series is that I wish they'd done more with Honey, especially since early in the series there were rumors going around that her character would turn out to be a secret agent of some kind (and this started to gain credibility when she showed up out of nowhere at the end of the race episode). Did not know the director of "Michiko and Hatchin" and "The Woman Called Fujiko Mine" had so much involvement with the show.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Armond White is very much out of favor and basically banned from critics' circles and any awards ceremonies because he repeatedly heckled filmmakers he didn't like in person at awards ceremonies and film screenings, such as calling Steve McQueen "an embarrassing doorman and garbageman" last year. That was an interesting downfall to watch happen in real time, because it went from his interpretations of films being funny and bizarre, to the realization that he was 100% serious, to his behavior becoming increasingly batshit crazy, followed by every critic and filmmaker on the east coast just ignoring him until he went away. Shockingly he's laid low since the New York Film Critics' Circle voted to expel him because of his behavior.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Agreed! I love the "Alien 3" assembly cut, and actually rewatched it recently. Weaver is fantastic in it; everything's fallen apart for her for the third time and she gradually starts to just grudgingly accept her fate. It's also gorgeously shot and has a great musical score by Elliot Goldenthal.

That said, you can really tell they were rewriting the script on a daily basis because even in the theatrical version there are scenes of dialogue that just kind of repeat themselves in the next scene.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 13, 2014

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Jimbot posted:

SFDebris starts reviewing Escaflowne

I have to rewatch that series, I can't remember most of it. All I remember is that the soundtrack is awesome and near the beginning a really old guy with an impossibly huge sword takes on a bunch of mech things and beats them down.
After not thinking about it for a decade, I caught up with this again thanks to Zorak's Simulwatch of it, which was a blast. Its a fun show with plenty of remarkably weird plot twists, but my god are the final 5 or so episodes just a massive clusterfuck, and for good reason, as the episode count was trimmed from 39 to 26 right before production began.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Fox Kids only aired ten episodes before the heavily edited version got shitcanned. If you look on YouTube you can find bits and pieces of it; its pretty awful. The same thing nearly happened to "The Slayers"; in fact that one got far enough that a few of the episodes were redubbed to fit what was allowed of Saturday morning cartoons. This was back around 1999-2000, and the reason for all of this was the runaway success of "Pokemon", and the minor success (at the time) of "Dragonball Z".

Jimbot posted:

Oh and another thing I remember is the movie they did. I also remember thinking "wow, the music and animation in this movie is great" and "wow, why are all the fun, complex characters from the series a bunch of bloodthirsty assholes who hate each other now?" at the time.
Pretty much this. Zorak's response when someone asked if the movie was part of the Simulwatch was "gently caress. No."

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
I still need to brush up on my Tarkovsky and Bela Tarr, but those are movies that you really have to build your day around because they are challenging to say the least. One example I'm kind of surprised he didn't bring up for intentionally slow and monotonous films is "Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles", which details a middle-aged widow's daily routine over and over and over again, with the point being you're watching both her mental state and her routine slowly break down in tandem over 200 minutes.

BreakAtmo posted:

Well this was loving awesome. I NEVER would have seen that inspiration coming, yet it makes so much sense.
I knew about the whole "Tomb Raider" thing but I only ever connected it to "Elephant", not "Gerry". Van Sant's projects make a hell of a lot more sense when you remember he remade "Psycho" shot-for-shot and line-for-line supposedly just to see if genius could be replicated.

BreakAtmo posted:

Thank gently caress that documentary was made.
Everybody watch "The Story of Film". It's really good, and will introduce you to a whole lot of stuff you never knew existed.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

I talk about it in the Tumblr post there, but the short version is it's just too exhausting to try and make them alongside my regular workload.
Much as I liked Manic Episodes I also thought it ran the risk of running out of stuff for you to cover. I can't think of many other shows like "Charmed" or "Forever Knight" that don't either have a huge cult following ("Buffy" and "Supernatural"), are part of a bigger franchise ("Highlander"), only lasted for a season at the most ("Brisco County"), or were aimed squarely at kids ("Are You Afraid of the Dark?"). Stuff like "Charmed" and "Forever Knight" I feel is interesting because they're sort of forgotten and have interesting histories and fun behind-the-scenes shenanigans to them.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

echopapa posted:

I can’t shake the feeling that Foodfight was made as some sort of financial scheme. I think the creators took the sponsorship money, over-insured the film, ran off with the cash once the first version was “stolen,” then let the film go bankrupt.
They were very much in the opposite camp. They thought this movie was going to be unstoppable, and that their cynicism against the American public would pay off. There are some amazing quotes in this New York Times article from 2004, which was eight years before the movie came out.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

I know these have existed for a while but it just dawned on me...no one is buying and reading these because they wanna jerk off to them, right? It like watching Aslyum movies, you wanna see how crazy they get.
I think some people are definitely buying them for spank material, but the dinosaur ones in particular have been featured on The AV Club, Buzzfeed, and a couple other places.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Tracula posted:

Isn't John Carpenter's The Thing pretty much a totally different movie than The Thing from Another World?
Apart from taking place in Antarctica, being about scientists at a research station, and using a few visual motifs here and there (the title sequence and the giant block of ice being the most obvious), it is a completely different film. The 1951 movie has a single alien creature that's more of a big lumbering guy played by James Arness. There's no theme of imitation or body horror in the 1951 version, but it was present in the short story that both films are based on. The 1951 version is drat good -its a Howard Hawks production- but it feels almost disingenuous to compare the two because they're such different films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Seems like internet content has just been one story after another of "Laws? Regulations? Standards? Common sense? Basic decency? What are these strange words you speak of in the context of running a business?"
Jesus Christ. I was wondering why you were so "NOPE. DONE. NO MORE TGWTG. NOT HAPPENING ANYMORE." once you left on what seemed at the times like amicable terms but now I know why and I'm just kind of floored.

Jsor posted:

Should we do Cinemassacre? James has his own thread in Games.
Since they get brought up fairly often I think its a good idea.

• Locked thread