Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

LFK posted:

I really hope she doesn't take that advice to heart. The multiple cameras makes something like this way more palatable. It's far, far more professional than the typical vlog; 40 minute rambling single-frame vlogs are the worst and they probably alienate a lot of viewers. I mean, the multiple cameras give her editing points so that she can cut out all the "uuuuuuuuuuuuuh, yeah..... what happened..... oh, right, so" and "wait, I already said that, like, five times" without it all being haphazard jump cuts. You still get the natural, conversational tone without the cruft.

I'm actually really glad that more reviewers are bothering to care about this kind of stuff. It looks way less cheap.

Straight up I like Brad and his buddies, but as a great example pretty much every Midnight Screening could be half as long as it is with zero loss because they almost always have 2-4 core complaints that stuck out, and they hammer on those over and over. The repetition isn't strictly bad from a performance standpoint, since talking through things helps coalesce ideas, but I don't really need to see the entire compositional process.

Editing is a good thing.

Yeah, there's a reason why I don't usually watch the Midnight Screening episodes, they're kind of a commitment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The end of Sage's new Anime Abandon was hilarious. I half-expected his run up the beach to end in "It's...!" and the Monty Python theme playing.

Also, I'm having troubles with adblock in Chrome as well. Offsite advice is...often worse than unhelpful and frequently surprisingly antisemitic in tone. I've tried putting "ad.autitude.com" into my filter list, but it doesn't seem to help, probably because it needs some kind of extra bit. Offsite advice basically comes down to "Manualy update EasyList filters", which doesn't help.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

cubs2084 posted:

The change in both schedule and restrictions was the best thing that could have happened to Doug. With the exception perhaps of Son of The Mask, he so far has been doing movies he's more passionate about, either in having a strong opinion on why it's so offensive beyond the production/quality issues, why it's worth your time, or why it's severely misunderstood by all. He seems to be loving what he's doing again and it really helps.

Also, I had no idea that the aliens in the end were actually robots. How the hell was that supposed to be clear to anyone?

Yes, it was pretty clear. One of them was even hyperevolved Jude Lawbot, wasn't he? The kidbot addresses him with whatever catchphrase he had like "Hey Joe, what do you know?" or something like that. Might be remembering it poorly. Last time I saw the film I was eleven.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

LordPants posted:

I don't agree with the guys a lot, but I still enjoy watching their stuff.

edit: Does Superman actually punch someone in the face while calling them motherfucker :staredog:

He says something to the effect of "You stay away from my mother!"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

The ads are really intrusive on these. Thirty seconds, every five minutes, and popping in mid-sentence.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Huh, just watched NC's Anniversary video, Dragonbored. Surprisingly decent. Who else is lined up to do these?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Akett posted:

Huh, new One Hit Wonderland.

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/one-hit-wonderland-to-be-with-you-by-mr-big-6631546

I find it funny how right he was about not ever hearing the song if you weren't cognizant at the time, and the huge list of hair bands that formed the year I was born is just hilarious to me for some reason. I don't think I'd heard of hair metal until I was a teenager, that's how dead it got in the 90's.

The funniest thing was how precise about it he was. Not only had I barely heard the song before, but I had only heard it on that drat MONSTER BALLADS commercial.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

dijon du jour posted:

Huh. I did not know that George of the Jungle was a sitcom adaption. I loved that movie as a kid.

It's close enough, since it came it that same wave of nostalgia remakes.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jay O posted:

Well, if you'd prefer, there are ponies. (I didn't know about those prior, just noticed them after looking up the steampunk stuff.)

Why does OanCitizen get two? I mean, yeah, he's great, but Lupa only got one. His pony-based approval scale is all warped.

Also, why does Lupa Pony have a spoon on her rear end?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

poparena posted:

Once again, Oancitizen sets the bar to the loving moon with his newest Between the Lines, a breakdown of poetic beats through Beatles lyrics. Yes, he sings. His best videos are the ones where he sings.

He continues to be one of the most educational and entertaining people on the internet. It takes a lot of talent and effort to make what he does interesting to people with almost no frame of reference (like with his usual reviews) but he manages it. This video was no exception in terms of quality.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Maremidon posted:

Oancitizen has a new video tackling a Malian film by the name of Yeelen.

http://blip.tv/brows-held-high/brows-held-high-yeelen-6692459

You should all definitely read that article he mentions, "Shakespeare in the Bush". They make great suggestions for how to improve Hamlet.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I wonder how he's handling TV shows. I mean, the easy route would be to take episode one or the first few episodes; like a movie's worth, since that's what he was already in for. But the fun thing would be to pick some episodes out randomly.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Game Grumps' fifty minute look at Endless Ocean is pure art.

"This game is like one part gorgeous dreamland and two parts nightmare I can't wake from!"

The ending is magical.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tae posted:

Wait, am I a bad person for liking Big Daddy?

Nope, that's still pretty good.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Spark That Bled posted:

This is pretty much why Chuck Sonneburg of SF Debris is one of my favourite internet critics. He rarely lets a joke run on too long, and never lets them get in the way of the criticism. Same with what little I've seen of the Cinema Snob. I like Linkara too, because his skits and storylines are easily skippable, in such you don't have to wait through them like you would with a Critic video.

SFDebris is probably the most consistent of all the critics I watch. He's definitely got things down in the best way; his review are the length and packed with jokes. Never overstays his welcome, either and he seems to know which gags work and which ones don't. Seems like faint praise but when we're dealing with internet critics, it's a godsend.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I can't get how people could see Erin being pants on head retarded about things and not love it. I mean, he watches the Titans run train on his home without being hampered at all by their supposed protectors and his reaction is "I'M GOING TO LITERALLY KILL EVERY TITAN EVER". How do you not love that kind of realistic stupid teenager writing?

There's a reason people in ADTRW call his titan form the Rage Titan. He is a delightfully straightforward protagonist, fueled by genocidal fury and a thirst for vengeance.

Also the Mikasa stuff is silly. What, does a "good" female character have to be asexual to not be sexist?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
...Well, that's one way to get me to turn off Adblock.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

SatansBestBuddy posted:

SFDebris kicks off his public self-torture lessons with Kannazuki no Miko Episode 1.

It's not quite scraping the bottom of the barrel for schlock anime but no worries, we're only on episode one, it's sure to get much, much worse from here!

I like his rating system.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Benne posted:

I know the camera tends to add height and weight to a person but holy hell Brad is a short dude :stare:

Dunno, he's always seemed fairly short to me. Don't know why you guys are so shocked.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Miss Wallace posted:

I don't see it as begging if you're offering rewards for it. No one's asking for something for nothing, nor are they taking anything away from anyone who chooses not to pledge. I could just as easily just talk about my Paypal all the time and cut out the middle man.

Also, content creators generally commit to X amount of content produced per period for such and such money raised. Really, it's more a way of formalizing donations--an arangement between viewers and content creators to ensure a more stable relationship between both groups :D

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

FlamingLiberal posted:

Patreon is basically the only way any of these reviewers are going to continue their jobs in the future, because as mentioned earlier, the ad model for this kind of stuff is collapsing.

Like a black hole, all the ad revenue being condensed into a point roughly the size of a minivan, so dense, so massive that not even light can escape. This hungry void draw all towards it until eventually there is nothing left. It is the end of all things.

And that black hole is Pewdiepie.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Celery Face posted:

New One Hit Wonderland: Biz Markie - Just A Friend

I saw the music video (with different audio so Biz Markie's "singing" was a funny surprise) for this earlier today and was wondering what song it was from. Nice that I know now.

Not sure if it's possible to hear this song without smiling. Biz Markie's enthusiasm is infectious.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Lmao Shia LeBouf owns. He just sits there silently, staring at this twat.

I love the way that video ends, with the guy acting like it's a victory.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Miss Wallace posted:

I thought about doing the Puppet Master series eventually, but as one video. They're actually more often than not incredibly boring, but it's fascinating. 4-5 are actually pretty good. Retro Puppet Master has Greg Sestero and he's actually good in it.

I'm also going to do Prehysteria eventually, which is a Moonbeam feature.

Oh my god, I loved Prehysteria when I was a little kid. Don't suppose you could tackle Remote, too? It's also a Moonbeam feature--but this time it's a Home Alone ripoff...But with expensive remote control toys! :haw: Also, one really creepy yodeling one.

In case you're wondering (and I'm sure you are) that's another one I watched a lot as a tot.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Robert Zadar creeps me out. He looks like a real-life Dick Tracy villain.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

HGH posted:

I'm not sure if this is worth mentioning but SFDebris did the Patreon thingy.

Jeez, now there's someone who really needs a Patreon :(

Or a charity fundraiser. He and his family need help.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
All we need now is for the SFDebris guy to show up and this thread will be perfect. For me, at least.

Hi Kyle, I'm a fan of your reviews as well. Comedy is rooted in what you know, and being able to convey all the background knowledge needed to understand these films quickly and ably to contextualize later jokes is one hell of a trick. Plus, you do it without making the videos too long. Really long videos are painful--half hour is generally my maximum and I prefer 10-20 or less.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

HopperUK posted:

Christ, I just started watching OL's Baywatching episodes and I can't breathe. How was this ever a show? I'm so happy.

Same here. I just finished, and really, it's Lupa's best. Though given how few fucks they seemed to give even in the first season, I'm eager to see what's next.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Miss Wallace posted:

The Little Richard one is legit my favorite episode, so hilarious. Random music videos, street urchins, Richard Branson promoting Virgin Cola, the works.

That sounds magical :syoon:

Does 90s-era Branson have the trademark facial hair?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Supersonic Shine posted:

NC looks back on The Purge today, and I have to say, I really wasn't expecting it to end how it did. Hearing The Brain (played by Maurice LaMarche) curse out Pinky (played by Rob Paulsen) while he bawls like a little child was a very surreal experience.

Well now I have to watch it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

DStecks posted:

I had some friends who were really hyped for The Purge and IIRC they hated it because it did nothing with the premise.

I found myself agreeing with Doug as the review went on. The premise could have made a really good dark comedy or satire. I'm not sure that there's many who could have pulled it off (definitely not this creative team), but at least it would have been a more entertaining failure.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

DStecks posted:

I haven't seen the film, so I feel like a bit of a tit going on about this at all, but I thought I heard somewhere was that the implication was meant to be that the Purge doesn't actually work, and that it takes place in a totalitarian state that the privileged protagonists are largely oblivious to; and that the scientist stuff is propaganda designed to disguise that the Purge's real purpose is population control and nothing more.

I saw this angle too, with them talking about the new founding fathers towards the end, and the cultlike devotion to the idea of the Purge especially from the neighbors, but they never did anything with it.

Also, the movie would have been better served if set further in the future. You can still have the Purge as beginning very soon, but it's more believable if at least a generation passes before it's scene as "the way things are"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Well, now I feel even dumber defending him. :sigh:

You couldn't have anticipated he'd go the Full Spoony.

quickly unsubscribes from JonTron's youtube channel...

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Celery Face posted:

Madonna's voice in this just makes me want to strangle something. God, I couldn't imagine sitting through that for an hour and a half.

Now keep in mind that most of these people will watch the movie multiple times.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Dude/dudette, an ad hominem argument is where you seek to dismiss another's argument by condemning the speaker as dumb/wrong/sexist/monstrous and thereby (fallaciously) prove the speaker's argument to be wrong/illogical. It circumvents actual contradiction of the argument by attacking the opponent. Which was exactly what Jay O did. If BB's suggestions were sexist then you a) define sexism, b) propose why sexism is wrong, c) seek to prove BB's statement is sexist ergo wrong. Yeah, this is SA, so that's not going to happen but someone opposing BB's statements can at least attempt to criticise the arguments rather just attacking him as a person. Unless it's just a slapfest. In which case :munch:

Of course, if Jay O was just out to insult BB then that's another thing entirely. If I've mistaken an insult for an argument then yeah, I'm wrong about applying the term ad hominem (but right in the definition). But I think Jay O has said since that she was frustrated at BB's substance and style rather than him as a person.

But on the other hand, BB was making GBS threads up this thread, and now his shadow looms over us, continuing to poo poo up this thread.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah that song is quite dire. And unfortunately also an awful ear worm.

It's...IN. MY. HEAD! :gonk:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

KKall posted:

Oh, don't I know it. I've hated the sides of my beard for a long time and I just had to see why I grew a beard in the first place.
It turns out I grew a beard because I look like a shlub without one.

I've been thinking of just a goatee, actually. My chin's always been stronger than my jawline.

Grow a Dali. I want to live vicariously through you, you who can grow proper facial hair.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Baby! :kimchi:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jsor posted:

This is how almost all monster and many horror films go. Has anyone watched the original Night of the Living Dead? It's literally an interpersonal drama that happens to have zombies sometimes as a plot device.

Also, a real-time carpentry lesson.

BreakAtmo posted:

This mostly sounds whiny and terrible but I really do think killing off Bryan Cranston's character was a bad idea. He was the most interesting and well-acted character in the film, and him dying in the first act did nothing for the film IMO.

I agree with you. After Cranston left, all we had left was Sgt. Audience-Insert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

:( Sorry to hear that you won't be making videos anymore.

Good top ten though. I love Space Dandy too, and that was a sweet story at the beginning of the video. The musical episode would have had a treasured place on my top ten, but to each her own :cheeky:. World Without Sadness and the episode with all the Dandies definitely deserve those high spots though. The latter is probably the funniest episode and the former is just so touching. Standing up a lady? That's just not the Dandy way, baby. :cry:

Also, I didn't realize that many women worked in high positions on Dandy, either, that's pretty interesting. One more reason to like a good show!

• Locked thread