Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
I'm watching the Spoony review of Ultima 9 for the first time in the wake of Lord British's Kickstarter, and holy poo poo, how has anyone thought this guy was worth trusting a single dollar to? Also, Spoony single again has really done a shitton for the quality of his reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Never in my whole life have I watched 2 guys miss the point of a movie so much - talking about Pain & Gain. The whole point of the film is pointing out the main characters to be such absolute, loving dirtbags that you take sympathy on Tony Schaloub's character. It's the perversion of American masculinity, the American Dream, the "hard work and you'll make it," it's narrative is taking these real events, and using them to talk about how hosed this country's philosophy is. Wahlberg's character is such a colossal piece of poo poo, who just believes in the American Dream and the pursuit of wealth he'll go to such insane lengths, that you're on this horrifying ride as he spirals utterly out of control. The Rock's character is this sort of, gently caress, it's hard to describe - he's trapped in this endless cycle of wanting redemption, and keeps falling back into crime.

It's a surprisingly deeper film than these two knuckleheads are willing to give it credit for, mainly because of the name attached, and it's such a loving bummer.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

prahanormal posted:

You're defending a Michel Bay movie.

Pain & Gain is the most un-Michael Bay movie that Michael Bay has ever made.

• Locked thread