Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Best of the Worst: Wheel of the Worst

Holy poo poo, they watch one of the most awkward, uncomfortable videos yet. They really tear into them good. Last Best of the Worst had movies that were entertaining shlock. This one is the complete and utter opposite. A great episode nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

People have different opinions about things. Spoony spent a hour tearing apart Iron Man 3, while the Red Letter Media guys liked it. They also like Dark Knight Rises while Brad hated the film. Pain & Gain seems like it's one of those films where you wouldn't know which side of the fence you fall to until you see it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

He developed a terrible habit of overreacting to dumb stuff he doesn't like then dwells on it for far too long. He did this a couple times during his Final Fantasy 8 stuff but he was more self-aware back then and knew when to move on. He really needs to do another LP series like SWAT or a game he likes. Those are always entertaining (except a few times in Ripper where he loops footage to draw a dumb joke out). It also doesn't help that he seems to have terrible health as he had a week long debilitating migraine and apparently editing this video was like pulling teeth for him.

I just don't think he enjoys doing this stuff any more. Watching the Nostalgia Critic or, say, Anime Abandon you can tell Doug and Sage enjoy what they're doing. Spoony just seems like he's doing this because his livelihood depends on it.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 16, 2013

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Best of the Worst: The Vindicator, Cyber Tracker, Robot Jox, and R.O.T.O.R.

"As I said, the ending is like the blues mobile. It gets to the daily plaza and it just falls apart."

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

dijon du jour posted:

No, no. The Tester is looking for victims people who just want to work in the soul crushing exciting field of video game QA.
The show you're thinking of is The Next Game Boss.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb5ev2Dp4I0 <- I will take any opportunity to share this video. These people are literally the worst. :allears:

Those were horrible. However, every time I see that video I never, ever get over the fact that the one guy is wearing an Afrikan Korps jacket with the complimentary red patches.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 20, 2013

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I liked her first video somewhat and she does bring to light some problems in games, but it was just way too reductive. I hope this new one isn't like that.

Edit: It is.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 29, 2013

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rebochan posted:

That's my biggest problem with them. I clicked the link desperately hoping she didn't use Borderlands 2 based on a single incident...yup, there it was. Completely without the context of the game's general gender blindness towards the use of tropes (especially given its Gearbox). And even if that in and of itself doesn't make it "okay", the fact it's presented without context means the obvious counter-argument isn't even addressed.

Oh yea, just a spoiler warning - if you actually are a gamer, there's a load of games that are going to be ruined for you through there.

"His arm is his wife."

Someone got paid to write that in a professional game design doc.

I respect the fact that she brings up these tropes and how it isn't the husband getting brutally murdered and the son kidnapped. It is a terrible one-sided bias that, but it's basic storytelling. Tragedy is just a more compelling reason to go on these adventures in games. Those indie games she listed off are ones I haven't played but games that explore that tragedy are neat little things but they would never fly as actual products.

I just wish she'd stop putting that disclaimer at the beginning of her videos. It's pretty clear that she has nothing but contempt for the examples listed and makes no effort to hide it. Introspective on our hobbies is great but you often do that with context and how it fits into that game's story. But she is also right that at times it's just some hollow gesture to try to make the game seem more mature than it actually is. Ultimately, I think her point at the end was really weak. I don't believe it's suppose to reinforce the household patriarchy or gender stereotypes in real life. It's no more plausible than violent video games make people more violent. Like Benne said, it's just that writers are just being unoriginal and fall back on tried storytelling to give players motivation.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rebochan posted:

Not sure I follow. All of those games she called out are actual products that you can go buy right now. Also, I haven't gotten to play To The Moon yet, but I've been told it's hands down one of the saddest games you'll ever play.

Are they? My mistake then. I thought they were free indie downloadable games. I should have worded it better. I meant that you'd never see a mainstream game like that. A game could touch on the subject of alternate means to deal with loss other than going to a bloody vendetta, but then you'd have a half-assed sub-plot that doesn't do the issue any justice and it would drag the game down. Indie games are better suited to go into these things while mainstream games, while can get a bit cerebral, are often suited as escapist entertainment. I don't discourage companies from trying but I'm just being realistic.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I always wanted a Plinkett review of the Matrix sequels since it's similar to the Prequels in the sense that they "destroyed the franchise's legacy" (so to speak). It was just a huge drop in overall quality and they really retconned some things.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 1, 2013

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's a good show to watch regardless. Seeing the whole series really paints a picture why fans of the show hated the film.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Benne posted:

Doug's schizophrenic reaction between "The Great Divide" and "The Storm" may be the highlight of the whole experiment. :allears:

The Great Divide was pretty ho-hum but it at least showed what kind of problem solver Aang was and brought two warring peoples together. It at least had some of that character building.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I didn't mind "The Painted Lady", however "The Swamp" however was something I couldn't stand. That new-age spiritual nonsense about Time was insufferable and didn't make any sense.

Edit: The whole point is that it'll be interesting in seeing Doug's reaction to a lot of these episodes. May are coveted and others are disliked a whole lot.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

stopped the video after a few minutes when he started whining on about how stupid Pacific Rim is going to be and calling people "sheep" for liking the look of it.

He's having another go with people over twitter so he's in one of his mood swings again. I wonder what Miles said about the film, if he was able to say anything at all.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

PassTheRemote posted:

You were not kidding when you said whining. Also, he stated that it was "Transformers 4" so when it comes out, if it is good, are we going to get a retraction, or a double down?

He did retract his Mass Effect 3 ending video stance he had in one of those "Spoony vs. The Internet" videos. I wish Miles would make his own videos, since he seems to have a lot to say in a level-headed manner these days. Spoony is 75/25 in these things. Either he's Ok or an insufferable clown - especially when he's in hyperactive hyperbole mode.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I found the last part weird myself. He's a self proclaimed lover of visual gags yet a huge muscle-bound thug losing an arm wrestling match to a kind-of petite lady is lost on him? He must have been tired when he saw the episode.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rebochan posted:

Because Don Bluth didn't get to keep the rights to pretty much everything he worked on. See also: Land Before Time XLII.

Wasn't the original pitch that they all died at the end but they decided against it because they wanted to milk it turn it into a franchise?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

S-Alpha posted:

New Half in the Bag - Man of Steel

It's 35 minutes of "This isn't Superman as I remember him". It's unfortunate. I don't agree with them at all.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Pirate Jenny posted:

It's almost like Joe's... kind of immature.

Can we not do this? People get excited over things they like and if he thought that Man of Steel was one of the best thing he's seen then so be it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Edit - Eh. :fireman:

I used to dislike Sci-Fi debris (to be honest, mostly because he had some opinions I disagreed with) but I recently had the chance to compare and contrast his full series reviews with Doug's and... holy poo poo, he thinks about what's happening and why! He has a basic understanding of what themes are and how to find them! He can follow a narrative as a coherent whole trying to say something rather than just a bunch of things that happen! And when he over thinks or overrates certain episodes it's because... well, it's because he at least thinks about what's happening. The relative improvement is astounding.

Speaking of which, I think SF debris's Last Airbender series review is on a whole different level than Doug's episode by episode look and I think it's better overall (and one of my favorite opinionated looks he has done). Just about every episode Doug spends about one or two minutes talking about "how does it tie into the story?" or whatever and glosses over character moments and other fun or important things. He's speculation bits are great fun, but him worrying over if the episode is filler or not is just unnecessary. Plus, as it has been pointed out here and in the Avatar thread, some pretty obvious character moments and actions fly over his head, but he does pick up on the subtler things. It was just weird to me, especially from a fan of Tom and Jerry unable to spot a visual gag.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

This was posted on the RedLetterMedia's Facebook.

Yesssss.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm pretty sure those three got put on some FBI watch list. Associating their shirtlessness with Smurfs 2 and all.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Korra had horrible pacing issues and stuck on thing that should have been secondary. It was a completely mediocre show where the high highs and the rock bottom lows cancelled each other out. Mako, to his credit, does do the absolute perfect impression of a block of wood, so there's that. The soundtrack and animation can only carry things so far. I found the morals and message of the show to be completely deplorable. This show is why I'm completely indifferent towards Book 2. I see the potential but I doubt the execution.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's just a phase. Many people do stupid poo poo in their teenage years and idolize idiots or terrible people. I rather these people think a crappy smug internet critic is insightful and intelligent than read Atlas Shrugged and join the cult of Ayn Rand and become a selfish, terrible human being.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

He raises a ton of good points and you sound unusually angry that he didn't like the mediocre retro platformer based on an internet personality. I've heard tons of people call it mediocre.

Even as an AVGN fan that Game Over screen is dumb as hell and looks like it gets old fast.

For the record ProJared is really good too.

Yeah, Jared's reviews are pretty good. I hadn't realized he left Screwattack - haven't been to that site in a while.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Wow, I didn't know that. Yeah, he was probably the best person they had working there too, at least from what little content I watch on that site. I don't frequent the site that often anymore, not since Craig and Tom had a falling out.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mr.Radar posted:

New Wheel of the Worst, finally featuring Tree Stand Safety :woop:. Also, does anyone know what's up with Rich's hand? It looks like it's missing a finger and it doesn't look like an effect (especially since they don't reference it at all throughout the video) :ohdear:

I still think they're running with the gag from the Halloween episode but not drawing attention to it.

Edit: gag not gig

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 23, 2013

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

I did. I liked it.

Edit: I also think it's interesting that while Warner Brothers and DC are trying to make a darker and gritter Superman that redefines the character, Marvel and Disney are making superhero movies where just telling a good story and having fun is the main point and it might be the best thing either company has done.

It's not really redefining the character since that's how the character has been portrayed in a lot of the comics over the past couple decades. It's just trying to have a bit more weight than Marvel films, which are all in good fun but are just shallow blockbusters that don't really stick with people. Man of Steel is far from perfect but I appreciated what it did more than what Marvel does with its films.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

PassTheRemote posted:

I thought some of the newer missions he did on live stream. I saw one LP he did via livestream, it was called Darkstar I think. I watched it after he posted it to his site, and it was probably the most boring Spoony video I have ever seen. Very little talking, hardly any joking, I'm kind of stunned he thought this would work and people would watch all of it.

People complained and he posted a "They're my videos and I can do whatever I want with them so gently caress off." kind of response. You know, his usual bile. The dude would do Ayn Rand proud. I'm really surprised Angry Joe is friends with him since he seems to represent everything Joe hates about the whole "youtube celebrity" thing (low effort vlogs in a grungy room). That was when around I un-followed him on twitter since his release schedule (only reason why I followed him in the first place) is non-existent and seems content on being a jackass on twitter while retweeting the "yeah, you tell him!" cheer-leading sycophants send him. I think his latest rant on the "The thing you like is actually poo poo, fact." was on people getting really excited about the recent Godzilla trailer.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

He hasn't put out anything really noteworthy in several months since he spent most of his time moving in with his girlfriend. I haven't seen his Richard Garriot interview, though. That might be good? I'm kind of pensive of that one because when super-fans interview their idols they tend to come off as smug know-it-alls at the expensive of, well, everyone. His Ultima videos were pretty great, though. The last one is a bit too skit-heavy, though. Depends on how strong your tolerance for that "storyline" Spoony railroads into his videos sometime.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Red Letter Media just put out Best of the Worst: Holiday Movies.

I don't know what the hell happened, but I think I just watched Jack mind-rape Rich with National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation 2.
:stare:

EDIT: God, I hope they get a reply to that letter.

Holy loving poo poo. Rich's bluntness about the whole breeding experiment during that elf video had me laughing as hard as everyone else. That was the funniest thing.

Edit: The nazi party and their dick-stabbing elf enforcers. This is comedy gold.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 24, 2013

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

New Half in the Bag

The opening is priceless.

"She calls when I'm in the BATHROOM I gotta get up off the BATHROOM"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I haven't watched the video yet, but Man of Steel was hardly a recruitment film. If it were then they wouldn't have shown the military cause more damage than the superhuman demi-god aliens fighting them. I'd put it more of an recruitment video for IHOP before I'd say it was a recruitment ad for the military. I think I defended MoS a lot in the thread from a lot of things but I never saw anyone bring it up as a recruitment ad for the military. Now if you'd call it a recruitment ad for becoming kryptonian then I'd fully agree. I wanna be Superman...

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Eh, I can't agree with anything about what you said about MoS. The military were hilariously ineffective in that movie while in Transformers they actually are able to hold their own against super-advanced sentient machines who want to destroy everything. I think there's a big difference between fetishizing the military and using them in your movie and I think Man of Steel does the later pretty well. Half in the Bag's review boils down to "it's not a fun, superhero flick like the Avengers and it certain wasn't the Donner Superman film so therefore is it bad". The film has issues, for sure, but I thought it was a great take on the Superman's origin and the events that lead to him becoming the Man of Tomorrow.

Rebochan posted:

That's not what she said at all. She was pointing out that the movie pulled a conflict out of the air without establishing or setting it up at all. That's hands down terrible writing. Even something stupidly obvious as him saying that point blank would have been superior to suddenly having Supes snap Zod's neck, get upset, and then have no repercussions.

Just to respond to this: before their fight Zod said Superman robbed him of his purpose, which was to protect Krypton and ensure its future. He then tells Clark his new purpose is to kill all the humans because that's what he chose to save. At the end he set up a no-win scenario for Clark. The only real bit of bad writing in the whole movie, and it is really bad, is the death of Johnathan Kent. That was just hamfisted and bad, even though the underlying message to Clark and Johnathan's motivation for doing so weren't.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

LordPants posted:

There is a lot of bad criticism there. Yes, we get it, if you spend more than two seconds thinking about the opening heist it's stupid, but it's about a man in a rubber suit who fights crime! You're allowed to make conceits like that. Especially considering that the opening heist is deliberately anarchic because it sets up the tone of order/anarchy which is the whole point of the film and if he runs in there and just does a smash and grab it wouldn't make for a very exciting cold open.

edit: actually the entire opening sequence criticism can be dismissed with "because it makes an exciting film".

Regardless of the opening, I will fight anyone who didn't think Joker's reveal wasn't chilling and awesome. It was pitch perfect. The acting, dialogue and music all hit the right marks.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The thing I don't like about Attack on Titan is that it likes to meander a lot and the pacing is extremely uneven. I haven't watched the anime but the manga likes to have characters have these long, drawn out conversations that go on forever and by the end of them nothing is really resolved or if it is you can say "well, why couldn't they have said that in a couple pages?" It reminded me of Metal Gear Solid dialogue in the later games where they tend to repeat poo poo ad nauseam so people understand what's going on. You'll have some fierce action for half an issue then the next two would be absolutely glacial in its progression.

I'm half and half with Erin myself. He really doesn't contribute much to conversations. He has some nice self-reflective moments but when it comes to understanding of all the events, he might as well be a block of wood in the background as the secondary characters move that plot forward more. I really like the manga, don't get me wrong, but it's pretty flawed and I find the author's "who are the real monsters" message pretty sophomoric at best.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think the anime has the benefit of music and animation over the manga. The manga at times feels like I'm reading a novel of people sitting around and talking. It's a monthly or bi-monthly publication so when you wait a month only for the sitting down and talking poo poo to still be happening it gets a bit frustrating. Even if you marathon it, the pacing issues still stand out. Luckily meaningful development actually happens in these things more often then not but when nothing happens it's just a waste of time. Sometimes I think the writer loves his writing a bit too much. Brevity is something that would help out those situations immensely. I rather see events tie into a character's problem rather than a character babble on about them then having someone else point them out immediately after - at that point I just don't care because it's being shoved in my face. The latest issue has this problem and it's over something that wasn't really all well established either, so it was a double negative on top of that the issue before was friggan amazing. So yeah, the last issue, to me at least, was a whole lot of disappointing nothing with sprinkles of "oh, that was a nice character moment" on top.

There's a manga of Kill la Kill out and people in that thread looked at it and said it wasn't that good because the strengths of the show (the kinetic animation, music and rapid pace of things) are lost in translation and you're just looking at still images of what was a ridiculous scene in the anime. It makes me realize that if there was a manga for the Ghost in the Shell series (Stand Alone Complex) I'd probably dislike it because there's a lot of spelunking and dialogue in that shot but because of everything else to support that it's actually a good watch.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 5, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

MechaX posted:

So I have a choice between about 20 minutes of Mike and Jay talking about Robocop 2014, or 2 hours (with a 3rd video on the way) of Spoony talking about Robocop 2014.

Eh, I'll take Mike and Jay for this one.

Really bummed that Miles had already gone at that point. Since he's a cop he would have brought a pretty interesting perspective on the topics and issues in the film.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Infamous Sphere posted:

Lupa's footage has the German title because she could only get the complete DVD series from Germany, because I don't know why, but Germans love David Hasselhoff.

It's because he's their Dodgeball coach.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Those two movies are the only two disaster movies with the same subject matter I both liked equally. They're dumb but pretty entertaining and the cast of both do a really good job. They should have really did a crossover sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

SFDebris reviews Godzilla 1985

As per his videos, they're incredibly insightful and spends 90% of part one talking about the history and behind-the-scenes stuff of the film before talking about the film. How I do wish Return of Godzilla was available in the US. I'd love to see it and I've only ever seen Godzilla 1985.

• Locked thread