Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

ZeeBoi posted:

A lot of Angry Joe's videos are now flagged for copyright violations thanks to YouTube's excessive Content ID system. :v:

Wouldn't this be happening to essentially everyone with any kind of game-related show? Apparently the retarded system is just blanket-flagging everything with claims the respective companies didn't make, ignoring Fair Use laws, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Angry Joe is streaming Fighter Within: http://www.twitch.tv/angryjoeshow

Given that Ellie Gibson from Eurogamer began her review with "Jesus loving Wept" and handed down a 1/10, this may be entertaining.

edit: Hahaha ridiculously slow installs. No shock there.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 18, 2013

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

This is like when I heard the suggestion 'Bryan Cranston for Fallout 4's villain'. What we eventually get just will not match up.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Yep. I saw an interview with Travis Willingham and Laura Bailey once and they said they had to sign NDAs for freakin Street Fighter. Willingham didn't even know what project or role he was auditioning for until about six or seven lines into his test read when he stumbled across "Sonic Boom!" and realized he was auditioning for Col. Guile.

Everything has an NDA attached to it these days.

Travis and Laura explained this in a Q&A I was at. Laura said she didn't know who she was playing until they said 'this is what your character looks like' and put a picture of Chun-Li on the table. Apparently she was all :swoon: and really, wouldn't any of us be?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

It should be noted that Doug explained his choice as him mistaking burnout for running out of ideas - that after ending NC he started coming up with these new ideas for it, now that he was no longer pushing himself to the limit making the drat thing. Call him a liar if you want but that was what he said.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Jillian Zurawski posted up some phone video from the filming of TBF. Justin was awesome.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=704119342954663&set=vb.100000698113942&type=2&theater

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Jay O posted:

Tragically, the Steam version is reportedly fixed up with revised grammar and writing. I haven't confirmed this myself, but I think this is the case.

I know for sure at least that he had the MS Paint monsters re-drawn completely.

They don't look GOOD, but they're not bad enough to be funny anymore.

But the terrible story and underlying awfulness is all still there! ...it's not what it once was if it was finally proofread and un-MS Paint-ed though.

I've thought about it! Sure, I'll do it, just because it won't take long to put together, and there is an occasion for it.

Even that image speaks to me. And when it speaks, it says, 'Mobile game'. That's on Steam? drat.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

I hope Todd does another Top 10 of a random year again, I hope it's from the 90's too, such fertile ground there.

Speak of the devil, and he walks in Memphis: http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/one-hit-wonderland-walking-in-memphis-by-marc-cohn-6723177

This is new, correct? It only just popped up on my FB wall.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Miss Wallace posted:

I'm a stealthy ninja.

Lots of bright red hair being, of course, a key part of staying out of sight.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Todd posted a new video, but it's refusing to play for me. Does it work for anyone else?

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/dark-horse-by-katy-perry-a-pop-song-review-6727988

edit: Working now. Woo!

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Feb 22, 2014

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Maremidon posted:

I have to say, I actually like Dark Horse and it's video. It's just a lot stronger than Roar was.

You could crawl over that bar, though.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Miss Wallace posted:

What Infamous Sphere said. ;) There are US releases of the first few seasons I believe, but I think some of the episode orders are messed up. Mostly I bought the German DVDs because it's the only version with the music as it was aired. The US releases ran into a lot of copyright issues and had to replace it. Plus the German ones are complete and it was easier. Turn off the German audio track and all you gotta deal with is German credit text. :)

Isn't this a widespread issue that a lot of shows faced? I remember hearing it's the reason why The Wonder Years is only just getting a DVD release later this year.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Yeah, that's what I'd been led to believe - that music rights have to be secured separately for different kinds of releases, and since basically zero people predicted the whole 'TV on DVD' thing, many shows were placed in a lovely position. Sad. :(

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Miss Wallace posted:

I think that's the reason the show Werewolf was yanked from DVD suddenly. It was really close to release, there was DVD art and it was listed on Amazon and everything, but suddenly it was gone.

I notice this happens with UK releases as well. I believe the BBC can use whatever music it wants, but when you import it the rights are different? For example, the UK version of Being Human changed some of the tracks for the DVD. Not sure if it's all versions or just the US release.

When it comes to the legalities of international media rights, I imagine I could do a 4-year degree and still not understand the whole goddamned thing :v: Learning the details seems like trying to extract salt from water with a spoon.

At least this stuff isn't completely insurmountable. The Wonder Years finally getting a confirmed release is really heartening.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Infamous Sphere posted:

Chef Boyardee does look extremely evil, I'd have to agree. I do not know *anyone* in Australia who has ever professed to eating/cooking canned ravioli, since ravioli is usually something you get from the refrigerated section, near the dips, and cook yourself at home. I had no idea that canned ravioli even existed until I read some random American kids' book, and my reaction was something similar to WHY.

:australia::hf::australia:

I have refridgerated tortellini and creamy bacon/mushroom sauce in my fridge as we type. Chef Boyardee... just looking at it, I'm convinced it hates everyone on a very personal level.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Ugghhh, A Talking Cat!?! looks loving painful. It makes me want to bury my head in the sand and just stay there.

Also, Lupa, if you like Eric Roberts, you might want to see Bullet In The Face. He plays a mob boss in a rivalry with another mob boss played by Eddie Izzard. Also, the femme fatale is played by one of the Battleshits girls from Harold and Kumar, and the main character is essentially what would happen if Spike and the Joker found Brundlefly's telepods and thought, "Why not?" What I'm trying to say is that everyone should watch it.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

DStecks posted:

Wasn't the response to DmC pretty much universally positive beyond the fanboy whinging?

I don't know about 'universally positive'. It's a decent game, but it doesn't compare to something like the original games or Revengeance in the combat system, and the story is a rather crappy mix of dumb/immature and taking itself way too seriously, unlike, again, the original games or Revengeance, which are very tongue-in-cheek).

I enjoyed it, but I got the 60fps PC version for $15.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

RBX posted:

DmC was a bad game reboot of a great series, it bombed, sold less then 4 did (The least in the entire series. 4 Actaully had high/the highest numbers for the series) and Capcom has avoided it ever since.

It was only made because the DMC team was making Dragons Dogma.

Most of the people that like it ironically never player the series before.

Spoken without a hint of bias! :D

No, I'm just screwing with you, I mostly agree except I don't think it was actually BAD.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

RBX posted:

I meant to say bad reboot, not game.

Ah, well, yes, that I'd agree with. I wonder if we'll ever get an actual DMC5? Probably not, since Capcom would really need to throw out their ego for it to happen.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

New Vampire Reviews!

http://blip.tv/mavenoftheeventide/vampire-reviews-monster-mash-6789456

Basically a discussion of the Monster Mash trope.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 26, 2014

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Miss Wallace posted:

Yes, VLC can play anything. I use it to play region 2 DVDs and the like.

I wish you could do this with Blu-rays. Instead I have to pay for PowerDVD, keep my Region at A, and use different devices for different regions.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

So the Rebuild movies were actually good? I've only seen the first one.

You may remember the first movie basically being the first few original eps cut down and with some extra material, but the second goes almost entirely off the rails compared to the series. Then the third wipes the entire concept of rails from your consciousness.

edit: Realised that this doesn't really work as a quality judgement, so... I like them. A lot. You will find many, apparently, who despised 3.33. Ignore them and at least see the movie once - even if you don't like it you'll almost certainly find it interesting.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 18, 2014

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Gyges posted:

Guess I'm alone in my loving Man of Steel and finding it the best Superman movie so far. I think the only uniting point in Man of Steel is that no one likes Jonathan Kent's Elijah departure.

I thought MoS was great (haven't actually seen the other Superman films besides Superman Returns, but I'd like to). I liked it as a 'this is what would actually happen if beings with that kind of strength fought on Earth'. Whenever people claim that Superman is terrible because people die in the destruction of the battles or because of what he does at the end, I always think their expectations of the guy are ridiculously unrealistic, given how outclassed he is. The fact that he wins at all is a stretch. Blaming Clark for Metropolis getting hosed up seems really stupid to me since Zod literally, explicitly wanted to murder every single human being on Earth. But then, I've never been a big comic-reader or Superman fan so I'm likely not as invested in his perfect-hero characterisation from the comics as others. Still, I think MoS serves as a good origin story, where Clark causes some destruction and death that he can learn from, on the way to becoming the true hero he's known as. I won't be shocked if the sequel deals with the perception of him following the battle.

Jonathon Kent's characterisation is troubling, but also realistic. His idea that people would respond to Clark's powers with fear and violence is one I can see the logic in, even if the film considers him wrong.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Well, as far as MoS goes, I thought it was a bit grey and drab-looking; not enough bright colours. That's really a matter of personal preference, of course.

Oh, of course. Everyone has their thing - despite many hating them, I tend to genuinely like dark&gritty reboots of things. I find the idea of taking something lighthearted and kiddish and interpreting it in a more grim and violent way interesting. Hell, I still want a gritty Dino Riders reboot.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Fair enough. You know, to each his own.

Although I wouldn't say I dislike them (I certainly don't dislike them on principle or anything like that), I do tend to be fairly sceptical about that kind of thing. To me, they often (not always! And they can certainly be very good on their own merits) seem to come across as guys who are embarassed by what they liked when they were kids and think they need to make it "mature" (a concept of which they seldom seem to have a particularly nuanced grasp) so they can justify their enjoyment of it.

I guess that's part of the reason why I have a problem with stuff like Identity Crisis; it comes off (I acknowledge that I'm probably imputing intentions where I shouldn't) like the guys who made that wanted to "improve" the Silver Age by retroactively inserting raping and brainwashing into it so they could feel more comfortable about liking it as adults.

I think that is a lot of it, and I freely admit to finding a lot of the stuff I liked as a kid silly. But that stuff also has good qualities that endure. Maybe that's the key to these reboots - keeping the inherent good ideas and replacing the silly, dumb elements? It makes me wonder how many people actively set out to make a 'gritty reboot' and how many are really just making what they consider to be improvements - improvements which very often turn out to be the 'dark/gritty' elements.

Still, the reactions to these things vary. I keep hearing people call Heart of Ice a masterpiece when it's a classic example of taking something from comics that was old and silly and adding 'dark' and 'mature' elements. I guess it comes down to perspective - many probably consider the Silver Age sanitised, with the grittier stories being what the writers might have written with more artistic freedom. Not the rape stuff though. Yeesh.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Benne posted:

I guess I'm the only one here who was 13 years old in 2000, because all I have to do is see that song title and it's in my head the rest of the day. You could not escape that song back in the day.

:negative::hf::negative:

Right down to the exact age.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Is trans people being "evil and scary" a thing? I can't think of anything that had a transexual villain. I mean, besides Buffalo Bill.

And he was explicitly stated to not be a transsexual.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I was just reading an AoE review that summed up RotF pretty well:

High-Def Digest posted:

Ah well, at least it’s better than ‘Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen’, if that hunk of garbage (easily Michael Bay’s worst film) is even worthy of being considered as a yardstick to measure crap.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Infamous Sphere posted:

Jesus christ, three hours long? That's the length of Barry Lyndon (which has an intermission!)

Return of the King was 201 minutes. Then the EE bumped it to 250.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Tracula posted:

Joe really has gotten leaps and bounds better since his stupid bullshit with Geoff and that horrible interview where he tried to represent all gamers or whatever.

I've never gotten why people always take Geoff's side with that interview, since I thought he came off as a butthurt douchebag to me who went after Joe for insulting his precious VGAs. It's a moot point though, since Joe caught up with him the next year and cleared things up - essentially, he found out that Geoff was never informed about the 15min sit-down interview Joe was promised by the VGAs PR guy. So essentially, what you're seeing in that video is Geoff, thinking Joe has just arrived there demanding an interview completely out of the blue, and Joe, having been promised a sit-down interview, being told "You got two minutes" with no warning. So, yeah - clusterfuck.

Also, where was the 'represent all gamers' thing? Because I believe he addressed this criticism later on and clarified that he doesn't proclaim to 'be the voice of all gamers', he was referring to how he gets his viewers to post/send him questions and then he asks those questions in his interviews, thereby 'representing the gamers' by asking their questions.

quote:

He gets a lot of credit from me for just basically saying "quit being misogynist manchildren you assholes and I'm ashamed some of you are fans of mine." It was in more words than that but it was the general idea.

Yeah, this. Those fans haven't disappeared though. On a post he made announcing he was now single, at least one shithead was like 'sweet bro now you don't have to pretend to be a stupid feminist'.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 5, 2014

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Tracula posted:

Oh I'm not on the Dewrito Pope's side about the interview, I think that Joe just bungled it and made more of an rear end of himself than anything he was trying to accomplish. It was just at THAT moment Joe was pretty unprofessional and unprepared. I do recall the follow up interview he did going much, much better though.

Well yeah, and that's why the later explanation makes so much sense - he WAS prepared, for a 15min sit-down interview, and he literally had to retool the thing and decide which of his questions he would ask, right there on camera when Geoff tells him he's got two minutes.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Unfortunately that happens a lot with those kinds of things, but after watching that interview I felt like Geoff heavily contributed to it being a trainwreck.

Yeah, he comes off to me as an rear end in a top hat with a vendetta against Joe for his prior video pointing out various problems with the VGAs - though again, the PR guy promised Joe a 15min interview with Geoff and never told Geoff, which makes him a lot more sympathetic since it likely seemed to him that Joe just came there demanding an interview out of nowhere. It's arguable that the whole thing really was the PR guy's fault, with Joe and Geoff both making understandable mistakes due to each one having bad information.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Tracula posted:

I'll admit I was being pretty goony about Joe's interview. He was caught off guard and it really does sound like it was kind of a poo poo situation all around the first time.

That's the thing - EVERYONE knows about the interview and loves ragging on him for it, virtually no one knows about the reality behind it, likely due to him not finding out and discussing it until months later, it was in one of his E3 2011 videos.

Also included in those videos - discussing of how totally awesome Prey 2 looks.

:smith:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Welcome, Kyle. Always enjoy your reviews, they're educational and thoroughly entertaining, the Beatles one being a real standout. Also, I always give a little "Heh" when I think of the title. Brows Held High... gold.

KKall posted:

Man, I really need to do another Korine film. If only to get a better final word on him than "that man is a doer of things."

Harmony Korine Month confirmed!

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I don't think this has been posted yet? New Between the Lines: http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/between-the-lines-spider-man/

I enjoyed this. Using Spider-Man as a springboard to discuss the various folkloric depictions of spiders was smart, and very educational. Good animation as well.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I like Film Brain, but... yeah. When Nintendo announced Nintendo TVii, I thought it sounded like “Nintendo TV, pronounced by Film Brain".

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

DStecks posted:

What is he talking about?

I assume he means actually reviewing a lamp as a joke.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

DStecks posted:

I always felt like that was kinda the open secret of the show. Most of the movies aren't truly terrible, just stupid, because every once and a while they'd watch a truly awful film *cough*colemanfrancis*cough* and even with the jokes it would still be nearly unwatchable.

I remember reading an imdb review of The Beast of Yucca Flats, which had a beautiful summation of him:

“Coleman Francis was a first-time director, and thus unexposed when this film was shot, however, in a more perfect world, the film would have been unexposed and Coleman Francis shot."

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Jay O posted:

3) There's a lot (potentially) to say about Gamora from a backstory perspective, but the framing of the movie forces her into a stereotype and buries any potentially interesting motivation as hard as it possibly can. Sexual jokes are made about her constantly even though her character is not promiscuous by the greatest stretch of the imagination, but the implication is that those sexual jokes are totally fine and Starlord's gonna bag dat booty eventually! And he will! Gamora obviously falls for him immediately and her ice-cold bitch heart is melted by his charm, but she pretends this isn't the case. There's no real convincing chemistry there, but you know, women. The camera leers over her multiple times throughout the movie, and even when fighting she poses more underwear model-like than any Marvel movie heroine I've yet seen. Then there's the entire issue of her obsession with Thanos. It could be a genuine vendetta stemming from rage and grief, but it's framed as...obsession with killing a man, presumably in a very sexy and cool way. She's completely detached, but if you melt her cold heart, she'll be wild in the sack someday! I also found all the scenes playing up her naivete about pop culture more creepy than funny because they were sexualized too, like "aw the naive little kitten underneath the violent exterior!" Bleh. She is a Good Space Slut.

I didn't see most of this. The camera leering, sure, but I did not at all get the 'Gamora falls for Quill' stuff. She explicitly rebuffs him and by the end I saw them as much more 'platonic friends' with no romantic element. And I didn't see the Thanos thing that way. Hell, it's easy to see her character as classically feminist since her main drive is about fighting back against a man who captured her and attempted to indoctrinate her as a surrogate daughter to do his bidding - Thanos easily serves as a strong patriarchy representative.

Jay O posted:

4) Benicio del Toro's slave girl who has this exotic, servile vibe and is introduced solely to make a spectacle of her foolish death...but not before objectifying her in that cute little outfit! You're supposed to like del Toro's character. The fact that he has women in cages is just a "quirk" of his. They're specimens! Like the animals and plants and stuff! The gist of the scene is that she was stupid enough to grab the stone even though they were explicitly told it would destroy them. The explosion is presented as this big awesome KABOOM setpiece. There's obviously meant to be no sympathy for the bubbly slave girl. She is a Dumb Bitch.

I also didn't get this at all. I thought the Collector was a slaver shithead and the slave girl sympathetic and driven to desperation by the way she was treated. I don't see how I was 'obviously' not supposed to feel either of those things.

Also, much of the lack of female representation is (I assume, since I haven't read it) stuff pulled from the comic. Quill's mother dying, Gamora being the only girl on the team, etc. Hell, from what I can find on Marvel wiki stuff, the various Nova Primes have all been men, yet the movie went with an intelligent and competent female version. I would like to see Gamora be treated somewhat better in a sequel.

Also, as others have said, congrats on the engagement.

edit: Yeah, this is apparently who Glenn Close's character is a very loose adaptation of: http://marvel.wikia.com/Irani_Rael_(Earth-616)

So basically they took a young, pretty member of the Nova Corps who flies around in a skintight outfit and serves under a male Nova Prime, and made her a highly competent, realistically older female Nova Prime who doesn't make the same stupid mistakes as many commanders in other movies re: accepting help.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

You know, just re-evaluating your opinions even once in your life makes you a less lovely person than half of the internet. :buddy:

To paraphrase a legend: “Think of how stupid the average internet user is, and then realise that half of them are stupider than that."

• Locked thread