Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
To me, it felt like the skit stuff was a least a bit better "integrated" with the movie stuff this time; he even changed up location a couple of times in accordance with what was going on in the skit. The ending bit did get a chuckle out of me. I'm a bit stunned at that "male academia" comment as well--that has to be one of the more awkward "you go, girl" moments committed to mainstream film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Violet_Sky posted:

The NC reviews a horrid flop, I wouldn't give this to pigs for slop, I'm rhyming because I don't give a crap, here is the godawful The Cat in the Hat.

I saw this movie when I was a kid. Nine year old me thought it was good. :barf:

Doug's speech at the end brought a tear to my eye. I hope this movie will only be remembered by bad movie buffs in the future.

This one felt more like one of Doug's editorials rather than an episode of the Nostalgia Critic. Not that that's a bad thing mind you; given how many people have screamed and bitched about that movie online, a more cool-headed approach is a welcome change.

As to this movie...never seen it, but perhaps putting the same guys who wrote Eurotrip and episodes for the final seasons of Seinfeld behind this may have been a bad idea. Obviously the Seuss estate thought so, as they killed any further live action adaptations (my Oh The Places You'll Go! movie :qq:).

Doug seems to be down on the Seuss movies in general though--I can see why he didn't exactly like this one, but the Horton film didn't look THAT bad from the bits I saw. At least they tried to make the 3d characters resemble the original designs in that one.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

Not surprising, his update schedule was really slow.

So Linkara has some comments on the whole blip issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=67ZZUSpeS4k

He's getting a ton of flack for it but he seems to be reasonable enough about it.

Why am I not surprised 4chan is involved with the deluge of stupid comments? I'd imagine the usual anti-TGWTG crowd will get in if they haven't already. Asking people to disable their adblock is a world apart from e-begging in my mind.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Admittedly, a lot of the points in that recent editorial were stuff you could probably pick up browsing the Loki tag on tumblr from fanfiction.net. Given the reputations of those places, asking his fans was probably the best idea. I got a grin out of the TvTropes bit.

I know not many people here are keen on "reviewer reviewers", but Asalieri2's video about the Nostalgia Critic and why he doesn't like it anymore was surprisingly restrained compared to some of his earlier reviewers. I think I prefer it when people can talk calmly about something. Though my minor nitpick comes with his point about an "hour long" NC video, which is the Animaniacs retrospective he did. While the point about his videos getting padded still stands, that video was a different beast than the regular NC episodes.

Finally: Nash released a video talking about the fantasy film Krull. Seems like an interesting film for all its faults. The cold opening may not make complete sense if you don't follow Radio Dead Air; suffice it to say not so good things happened.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

Speaking of Asalieri he did a video on Linkara's video on ad blockers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76M-EBF_HNs
Then he released a more serious video on the subject
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPxc0IDydso

And there he goes again with the rage. Calling it "Linkara's Adgate"(Adghazi?) helps matters for sure :rolleyes:.

How exactly do you get from "you can use whitelist for TGWTG" to "deny other people revenue"? That's a stretch.

And how is suggesting that people mute the ad Linkara not wanting people to watch the ads is that really conning the company?

And I'm out. That was the complete opposite of the first video. I'm reminded why people don't like commentators in general.

Was this really that big of a freaking deal? I don't see the need for so much melodrama over this. It's a simple gesture to whitelist TGWTG for Christ's sake. Am I missing something (besides general internet entitlement)?

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 24, 2013

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
So what do these ESults do that's new exactly? There's millions of these clips on Youtube, and if I need an insulting image, I can just browse the Macros and Memes thread here. A couple of people have suggested in the comments these are supposed to be hypocritical humor (responding to insults with insults, how clever), but I don't know if Doug's that internet savvy. This'll just get the turbonerds (great words by the way) going again.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

http://blip.tv/nostalgiacritic/episode-6594029

Doug doing AI, which I have not seen so this should be interesting.

Episodes like this make me appreciate how much craft Doug puts into his episodes compared to your average internet critic. The relaxed schedule helps too; you wouldn't see half the shots you saw int his episode if Doug was still doing a weekly thing. If this helps him break out of the box he was in with old NC, more power to him.

As to the review: my only experience with AI was learning about the alternate reality game around it. A couple of the points went on a bit long (Chris Rock robot, the TMZ thing [kudos for mimicking the format of the show though]), but the point about this film being an homage to Kubrick was a nice one. I can appreciate the intent behind the movie at least.

My one other gripe is Doug talking about how to represent people's work accurately when he was ripping on an obviously exaggerated version of TMZ. I'm leaning towards it being tongue-in-cheek, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone thick accused him of libel or slander or some poo poo like that. It was a bit hard to tell at points.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

LateToTheParty posted:

So right now how desperate is Doug for money? I'm asking this because right now he is doing a series of vlogs in which he will talk about every single episode of Avatar the Last Airbender in order to prepare himself for his review of The Last Airbender. There is nothing wrong with him looking over Avatar the Last Airbender but to do a video for each individual episode is excessive.

Considering there are 60ish episodes, this is going to be a long slog for him and the audience, unless he decides to put 2-3 episodes in a single vlog. Given some of the multi-part episodes, that's what likely going to happen anyway, but it would at least keep things going at a reasonable pace. It's a good idea though, since my understanding is that the film deviates from the series quite a bit, so knowing how the animated series went would be helpful. It might keep the more militant Avatar fans off his back. On the other hand, this review/episode could easily turn into Doug shouting "this is not like the animated series!" for 30 minutes like other people. It's almost a no-win situation.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Ema Nymton posted:

I tried to watch Darkside of the Internet, but I couldn't make it past seven minutes. I can't watch 30+ minutes of "someone was mean to me on the online :qq: " featuring a bunch of talking heads who are in no way experts on any subjects, let alone the complex sociological issues of humanity and the world wide web. The Dark Side of the internet is the internet, so what's the point of this?

I'd presume this was meant more for younger audiences, or for people who don't get that there's usually a real person on the other side of any internet conversation (discounting trolling of course). A few of the people featured in the video have dealt with the poo poo Welshy mentioned, so I'm guessing it was meant to give their side of the story and get people (read: the TGWTG fanbase) to stop and think.

Given what I've seen of TGWTG's rabid fanbase, someone needed to say "Calm the gently caress down" at some point. If you already try not to be a dick to people on the net, this probably won't mean much. I know most of the people on this thread are great about that--it's probably why some of the TGWTG crowd watch what we say, and even join in on the conversation on occasion. On the other, hand, the TGWTG fanbase might be too dense for this to get through to them and just keep on yelling about how they don't like thing (wow).

EDIT:

Mokinokaro posted:

EDIT: \/ I don't disagree with the message. Just think the presentation could have been better to appeal to the people it's targeted towards.

I could totally see that. Whether or not the message was presented well can definitely be an issue. If it was organized a little bit better as opposed to nonstop narration (Pause when you speak Holly!), it might have been easier to digest. Also, a little more about some simple steps people could besides "stop and take a second" could work as well.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 29, 2013

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

Of course now people are bitching about Doug e-begging. :sigh:

I was just reading the thread I think you're referencing, and the guy suggests in the same breath that they blew $200K with Demo Reel. I wouldn't read too much into it. I don't consider this e-begging because the money is going toward a tangible product: more ORIGINAL content for the site, which seems to be what the admins were aiming for with Demo Reel.

Granted, the rewards seem a bit skewed ($750 to get Doug and Rob to watch your lovely AVGN knockoff and force a smile afterwards!), but that seems to be a problem with a good number of crowd funding things. Somebody may be obsessed enough to go for those tiers, but I could be wrong. Good luck to them I say; this might be a shot in the arm for the site.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

I didn't know they were doing an Indiegogo fundraiser for the site...are they going broke now or something? I noticed that Lindsay's recent videos make no mention of CA anymore. It seems like a lot of people are gradually leaving/moving away from the site.

I also understand that Blip was just sold, and I know they aren't really paying people much.

It apparently had to do with some issues that came up with the sets they were building according to a post Rob made on the forums (amongst all of the usual fanboy poo poo). They have had these shows planned for a while, going back to after To Boldly Flee from what I recall. If the fans want to give them money towards the shows, so be it.

Still not sure why someone would go for the $6500 perk. Then I remember what sort of fans are involved and it makes sense.

In news you might care about, Lindsay's book project is coming out very soon. Apparently there's a book release party/livestream for anyone who cares.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
So Doug did a thing on Bridge to Terabithia. The review is kind of just "there" at about ten minutes in, but a joke in the beginning about bronies apparently inspired this gem of a comment:

A Brony posted:

Wow the Nostalgia Critic almost opens up his video with a Ponophobic joke! Why is anti-bronyism is so acceptable in society?

Ponophobic. :negative:

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

quakster posted:

AT4W just gets more :catdrugs: by the week. :pwn:

You aren't kidding. As much as I like the guy, that new outfit looks kind of silly. Maybe it's just that coat with the hat, but something about it doesn't mesh well. I'm sure the fangirls will love it (yes, he has fangirls).

Though it was nice to see an actual set being used rather than a greenscreen. Having a couple more people other than "Linkara in a tuxedo" or ":krad: Linkara" also looks a lot less awkward.

Content: Machinima maker DasBoSchitt released this half-finished review for Metro: Last Light a little while ago. While it's incomplete, there are still some interesting points about the role of NPCs in games. A full review would have been nice to see, and maybe we will get a couple more on the future.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
poo poo. I haven't watched his videos in a while to be honest, but I can appreciate he focused more on showing off interesting games and the good stuff in general, versus the snark and bitching that characterizes most internet critics. If he was having some personal issues, id didn't show in his videos.

Thanks for showing off some cool games and entertaining me Justin. Rest in peace.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I saw this list someone was compiling of the people who got accepted and rejected:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-Wvz6X-tvFn_wQqgQCQEShi87xXM77Ox5ITRnCLSir8/edit

So a mix of people I've heard of, haven't heard of, and who haven't even made a show yet. We'll see if anyone might be worth following.

Truthfully, I'm interested in the Rejected pile. The number of knockoffs and shows with footage recorded on webcams and built-in mics should be staggering. If anyone finds anything of interest and/or horror, feel free to share.

I also wonder if any of the videomakers who post here tried out, or if they didn't want to be associated with CA.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Infamous Sphere posted:

Welp, I sent them a submission and got a form rejection (despite the fact that Diamanda Hagan suggested me as well, and a CA internal suggestion apparently counted for more than a regular submission.) Oh well. I can only suppose that I wasn't suitable, or that with the hiring of the more well-known and more popular Rantasmo, their gay critic quota was filled. My show page is here, and in case the Rantasmo reference didn't clue you in, I review LGBT stuff and period drama.

echopapa posted:

I submitted my Hollywood Accounting special as a pilot for a series that would discuss issues in entertainment and Internet law, and received the standard rejection. Because that show would be a lot more work than my current review series, I don't think I'd start producing that one unless a major site expressed interest.

Well, you both tried. For what it's worth, I'm sure your stuff is at least better than the majority of the rejection pile. For what it's I need to check out your shows, and you've likely gotten at least a few regular viewers from this thread. Thanks for sharing, and I wish you the best of luck in your videomaking.

Infamous Sphere posted:

Apparently one of the people who was hired hasn't made a video yet, so I'm...not sure how that works. But in the end, it's their decision.

I found that weird too, but maybe they were looking for people with some videomaking experience, and were willing to take people with potential as well as established videomakers. We'll see how they pan out I suppose.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
RE: The Kyle stuff; having a parody account spring up in recent days which basically amounts to "Thing Kyle posted + I'M AN EGOTISTIC rear end in a top hat!" may have contributed. The dude's already tough on himself as it is, and now he's got someone trying to kick dirt in his face. Makes me wonder if the DHI crew is still rolling around somewhere.

One more for the road: The TGWTG_Fans.txt account; what started out as "dumb things posted by CA fans" has now evolved(?) into "TGWTG fan quotes, commentary, and GamerGate opining". The perfect combination, don't you think? :rolleyes:

Content: I have a guilty pleasure of sorts, in the form of the Game Show Reviewer. Yes, there's a Quantum Leap ripoff storyline for some reason and a lot of it is "summary of the rules/gameplay" rather than review, but I'm a bit :spergin: when it comes to game shows and it seems like effort was put into recreating the sets on a greenscreen. Allegedly he's going to be moving away from the story stuff in the future, which might be nice.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Kunster posted:

That Game Show thing sounds interesting. Any good episodes you found that seem recommendable to start on?

I recall the one on Jeopardy being interesting, mostly because he hits on pretty much every version of the show, kids spinoff and Rock and Roll Jeopardy included. The first minute or two and last few minutes are "storyline" stuff, which is more of an excuse for why the guy is visiting different game show sets than a Linkara-style "monster is going to kill this comic book nerd" thing.

Speaking of which: The "King of Worms" was kind of silly-looking:

Also you could totally see the reflection of Lewis' living room in the mask. #linkara?

Do not even ask posted:

It's the internet, people get furious over the most minute details.

Otherwise, why have this thread?

But seriously, I agree. You show any weakness, next thing you know the internet is pissing on you. It doesn't matter if you're a saint, mistakes will get shoveled back on you endlessly. Example: LOLgren bringing up "slut shaming", which was based on an old video Kyle did (and later took down himself) because people accused him of slut shaming the actress in it. The Girlfriend Experience I think. ]

I doubt the guy running a parody account would bring it up because he cares about social justice though.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
*I can feel it, coming in the air tonight, oh lord...*

This is going to suck isn't it. The drama-hounds are going to be out in full force very soon. What are the odds the anti-CA crowd *couchLordKatcough* are yelling "I WAS RIGHT", and are suddenly going to welcome Phelous or Lupa or Andrew Dickman with open arms just so they can get some dish?

Speaking of Andrew Dickman, yes, he has a review series. He did a set of episodes going through all the games on one of those "130 in 1" game systems. It's interesting, but his humor seems very Jontron-esque.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 13, 2015

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
In an unrelated note, Lindsay's going to be transitioning off the site as well.

The FAQ that comes with it is cute; I got a couple of chuckles out of it.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

In the last year they've lost Jay O, JewWario, Lindsay, Phelous, and maybe also Lupa? I mean it makes sense now that they are not reliant on ads as much anymore and have established fan bases.

Maybe they can't be as reliant on ads anymore; I've heard the rates for those were pretty poo poo anyways. It's probably why some of the producers moved to Patreon, as it was a little more stable than the ad revenue.

Of course, it's crappy that CA management wouldn't let people advertise the Patreons on the site (according to Lupa and a couple other people), when they ran one for their original content no problem.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Jay O posted:

Essentially. Blip is (was...?) a pay-per-view ad system. Your Views = Your Income. You could make a pittance if you were hosted on TGWTG. (Or a decent living if you're really popular, but for most of us it was a pittance, just enough to live on, sometimes necessarily combined with a part-time job. Better than working in some dump full-time.) But if you weren't on TGWTG, there wasn't any successful alternative that you could go to. It was all about staying hosted on that site because if you weren't either hosted on TGWTG or a Youtube partner, you couldn't make money doing the video review-tainment thing. (There are weird outliers like The Escapist, but I'm sure you've heard the horror stories about lack of pay there too.) TGWTG did not pay us, we had no contracts and were not "employed" by them in any way. ... But it looks like with the advent of Patreon and the death of the pay-by-view Blip thing as the source of income (and therefore traffic from TGWTG as the source for income,) the once sporadically hellish struggle with Mike n' Rob n' Doug is just turning into people pushing back hard and deciding enough's enough. Which is great! ...

Perhaps this may be a good thing in the long run then. As the online video scene changes, there are new and better ways to make an income from it. If they don't have to be tied to CA anymore to do it, more power to the producers.

I think I've just gotten tired of people bitching about every little thing the Walkers/Michaud do like it's a great transgression or the worst thing ever, not to mention how people have been yelling "THE SITE IS DYING" for years. The actual stuff they do gently caress up on ends up getting cheapened when people do that.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

Really at this point Channel Awesome should just go back to being TGWTG with the way things are going for them.

I don't want to imagine how :smug: Lordkat is right now though

Wonder no more, achilles!

LK posted:

In one weekend I have managed to accomplish more for a busines than @ChannelAwesome has in 8 years.
https://twitter.com/LordKaT/status/554838740829753344

And I believe I called it:

LK also posted:

Well, @Phelous is gone. Congratulations. Now, come join us #FreeBrad
https://twitter.com/LordKaT/status/554852801063690240

Don't do it Phelan. You know LK's just going to use what you say to stir even more poo poo.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I think I'll do my part in the "gently caress LK" sentiment, and leave him be. Let me introduce a show I came across through the new round of pickups: Shark Jumping.

I haven't seen many review shows tackle TV series, mostly because of the time investment involved with a TV series versus a movie. This show, rather than focusing on an overall review of a series, tries to pinpoint shark-jumping moments in different TV series. They apparently did some reviews of Rankin-Bass specials this year, including one where a child's opinions ruin Christmas for everyone. It's short and lacks skits, so it doesn't take too much time. It helps that there are two hosts and they can bounce off each other, even if it seems like they are reading from a script at times. I'd recommend their series, and I'd like to see where they go.

I honestly haven't checked out much of the other pickups, although I might be missing something/someone interesting. Anyone got any other recommendations from the new batch of pickups?

EDIT:

Tracula posted:

Just in case anyone forgets, Lord Kat was the one who said Noah (Spoony) should have gone into his bothers closet, grabbed his service pistol and blown his brains out when he was in a really bad emotional state during his twitter meltdown. Far as I know he never apologized for the remark either,

Do I have to remind you all of the Strawberry video? LK really has given people numerous reasons to ignore him, so maybe we (me as well) should take the hint.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 13, 2015

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
@ this thread:

Jesus Christ. This whole thing sounds like a few assholes (The Three Stooges perhaps?) mixed in with incompetence at running a business. THIS right here is the sort of poo poo they need to be called out for; if they don't know how to run things like professionals, maybe they ought to raze it. I suppose the one thing I can take away is that Doug isn't actively trying to make people's lives miserable, so...hooray?

TBH, I haven't been watching Doug's stuff, and the other producers I do watch I've been watching through Blip, so I don't really need to do anything to "cut the cord" with CA or anything melodramatic. I might pop on the "Your Video Reviews" section on occasion if I need to see some dumb poo poo, but that's about it. It's a bit melancholy I suppose, but I'll live.

Thanks for sharing Allison, and thanks for trying to break it to the thread gently Hope. And of course, thank you for indulging the thread for as long as you have.

Here's to the internet critic scene marching on. May the market flourish, with or without CA, and may there finally be someone who reviews reality TV someday. And gently caress the drama hounds. ALWAYS gently caress the drama hounds.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

poparena posted:

*cough* If I can break the discussion up a bit with some new content, I've got a new show called Breaking Spines, reviews of random miscellaneous books I wind up reading at my job at a second-hand store. The first one is Vertical Run by Joseph R. Garber, which is one part Die Hard, one part Metal Gear Solid, and one part ew.

It seems like an interesting if ugly book. I'd agree with the MGS comparison based on what you described, but only if there were nanomachines present in the plot. Lots and lots of nanomachines. As far as the ambiguity of the story, it's possible the author meant to do that...or the author just sucks at writing in a decisive way, take your pick. It's an interesting concept for a series though; here's hoping for more wacky books in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Okay, if we're getting the drama poo poo out of the way before the thread is done, I have one more grievance to air. It has to do with statements like this:

TGWTGFansTxt/Gamergate Clearinghouse posted:

I hereby proclaim 1/13/15 to be Victory over TGWTG Day.

There is no way the site can recover from this. Suck it up, fanboys. It's over.

I know I said a few pages back that the site might need a good razing, but at the same time, you've got people reveling/gloating in it, and it's just weird. All the people that actively invested themselves in pissing on the site/producers are having a field day. It feels like it's coming from a nasty place, especially since this dude has made constant jabs at the "SJWs" on the site. I guess it's like Hop said earlier; there are decent human beings shedding light on the problems with Michaud and the Walker's management style, and it's not worth it to give the people so rabidly anti-CA the time of day.

Just an E/N thing I needed to get out there. Long story short: there are people out there in the "anti-TGWTG" camp that are as obsessive and creepy as the fans of the site. And I'll try not to bring that poo poo into the next thread and any future threads.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 14, 2015

• Locked thread