Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Sweet, only two more years until the RPM episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Tumblr doesn't do 'analyzing media to defend its quality', Tumblr do 'analyzing media to find GIF fodder of two handsome men acting with each other'. I think upon the release of The Lorax movie there are plenty of written stuff sexualizing Once-Ler's younger version.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Metal Loaf posted:

Todd has a new Pop Song Review up; "Thrift Shop" vs. "Suit and Tie".

As Macklemore said in "Thrift Shop", I got a big cock.

Wait, no, I mean this is awesome. I always liked it when critics compared two objects, like Nostalgia Critic's Old vs. News (best feature NC made before Editorials) or Todd's previous music comparisons. I don't know, the review may simply fall to shallow comparison (the most egregious case I can think of being the 'classic-ness of songs' in Chocolate Factory Old vs New) instead of something with proper depth, but so far the '[x] vs [y] reviews' I've seen had revealed good points about something that I didn't notice when enjoying [x] or [y] separately. Things like Frodo's more active roles in Lord of the Ring Old vs. New or the the Thrift Shop's going against overspending from this reviews increases the entertainment I get from both. I think that's what a good criticism should do.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

OldTennisCourt posted:

Blip decided to throw out a huge "gently caress you" to adblock users. They have a 90 second message that you have to wait for if you have adblock installed.

Before I'm aware of adblock plus I usually just use keepvid to download the videos directly.

Oh well, guess I'll disable adblock plus for Blip and start collecting ads again. Wonder if there's anything as interesting as the Virgin 'Robin Hood' ads of 2011.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 12, 2013

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
He reviews things? I thought he was more of a vlogger or an internet shock jockey. I know he did Trailer Failure thing for TGWTG, but that was years ago.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Do you like board games? No? Watch Shut Up and Sit Down. If you actually like board games, watch Shut Up and Sit Down. It's like Top Gear for games. Their board game reviews are more than just them playing the board games. Instead, they arrange the game pieces beautifully and their style of review is charming in that it's filled with jokes and the hosts' 'character' shines at every review. Usually they make 'episodes', which consists of a single theme and embedded with three to four board game reviews. Each episodes are 30-45 minutes long and enjoyable. It's available on their old website.

However, I don't recommend those for newcomers. On their new website and the Penny Arcade TV page, they list individual board game reviews. I recommend checking those to see if their style interest you. I personally recommend 6 Reviews in 12 Minutes episode, which is like a crash course to the show: there's the interaction between the hosts, the unusual filming locations, high video quality and a few jokes.

If you find that you liked them, try the longer episodes. My recommendation: https://vimeo.com/32609360.

This show really makes me want to play board games. Sadly I have no friends :xd:

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 21, 2013

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Mokinokaro posted:

It's a tie into a really old silly rivalry between the characters that Doug and James had fun with.

Well, Doug should really know how to use nostalgia better!

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Rebochan posted:

Especially when we now have Superior Spider-Man to bitch about. :allears:

He did mention (in his 200th video anniversary?) that he stopped reading any Spider-Man comic after One More Day, so I don't think he'll be talking about Superior anytime soon.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Shut Up and Sit Down reviews Village, a board game that simulates all the good points of rural life, such as 1) death, 2) death, and 3) work! It's a game so cheerful the reviewers ended up having the best time of their life.

Man I wish the review didn't cut off at that point. I want to learn about the life of a village brewer, dammit!

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Arbite posted:

An earlier review mentioned a video on Space Alert but I can't find that on their vimeo, does anyone have a link to that?

I've got it, sir!

Shut Up and Sit Down's old format is a long (25-40 minutes) episode, containing three or four board game reviews. They usually have some guff in-between the reviews, just like how Top Gear had all those banter between their car reviews. When they moved to Machinima and then Penny Arcade TV, they posted the review segments from their episodes and now they only do reviews of a single board game. I don't know which format I prefer.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I think his reviews are under fair use and the interviews Angry Joe set up and recorded himself would rightfully belong to him. He doesn't do Let's Plays (that often).

Anyway, I haven't watched Oancitizen for quite some time and goddamn that Yeelen review. Goddamnit, that was less an internet movie review and more of a video thesis. Hugely impressed all around.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 13, 2013

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
The Big Finish audio dramas also make Sixth Doctor and his companions (Peri and Mel) stories much better than in the tv series. Really shows you how great Colin can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

DoctorWhat posted:

As my many, many posts to the effect will indicate, Big Finish has allowed Colin Baker to, for me at least, be the definitive Doctor - the one who I picture in my head.

What's up, Sixth-as-definitive buddy. I always unironically loved Colin's coat since its first appearance and I never got why people (including Colin himself) disliked it so much.

• Locked thread