Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Harry Partridge has a new animation tutorial

Also, an animatic for an unproduced Starbarians episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

poparena posted:

This is the bit of the beaten path, but I just finished a rather personal piece using Neil Gaiman's Sandman as a structure.

That was brilliant. I might be exaggerating since I’ve only just finished watching this for the first time but I think this might be one of the most insightful pieces I’ve seen about, amongst other things, the relationships people have with fiction, the Boston bombings and how people process similar tragedies and internet critic culture. Maybe my opinion will change after I think about a bit more or watch parts of it again but bravo for creating something that left such a great first impression, on me at least.

Edit: Have you thought about tweeting it out to some of the more analytical critics like any of the Chez Apocalypse crowd or Film Crit Hulk or anyone else who’s a bit net-famous who you think might be interested in it? I don’t know how those people are about pimping stranger’s content but it’s worth a shot. A video like that is worth a bit of self-promotion.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 21, 2013

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Conceptually I can see how Sucker Punch is a feminist movie. Moviebob did a cliff notes version of the main arguments here and here.

I’m pleasantly surprised that the internet hive mind didn’t latch onto Sucker Punch (‘cause it’s about nerdy, sci-fi/fantasy genre stuff but it’s also, like, really dark and deconstrutioney and meta). It gives me hope knowing that people won’t give every lovely thing a pass because it’s self-aware.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Pirate Jenny posted:

So many white boys, well meaning white boys, have I seen defend Sucker Punch as a feminist piece, but never once have I seen a woman do it.

I don’t get how you can defend it as “it’s feminist and therefore not poo poo”. It’s kind of conceptually feminist but Snyder’s understanding of feminism is facile and the way the movie is scripted and directed often undermines the intended message.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Why would anyone want to invest in Blip? As I understand it that site has never turned a profit and most of the content creators (at least most of the content creators that people watch) that use it only upload their stuff to Blip because it would be taken down for violating copyright law if they put it up on YouTube. Blip, to me, seems like a site that's doomed to fail in the near future.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
His work also really benefits from the limitations placed on him by the Escapist. Complete creative control is not a good thing for internet critics. Most of them if left to their own devices are unwilling put in the effort to make tightly scripted content and indulge in awful skits and gimmicks.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Todd in the Shadows on Twitter posted:

I just got word from Blip that I have to replace the Taylor Swift music that I was using as my bumper music in the last video.

So Blip has decided to crack down on the use of copywrited content. I wonder if this is a one off or the start of something.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

Moviebob reviews Amazing Spider-Man 2, and it's pretty much 7 minutes of woe-is-me bullshit about how Spidey is different, how it's Iron Man 2 again (which he apologized for in that review), and how he wanted the move to "fail" and any else involved with the film :qq:

This is what pisses me off about Bob and other geek gen-x reviewers in general: how any real objectivity is thrown out the window the moment something involving their childhoods is made differently. Whether this film is bad or not, I don't know as I haven't' seen it. But it's very clear that he's exaggerating and wants Spider-Man so bad to be part of Disney's Avengers and :jerkbag:

Eh, at least Moviebob is capable of stating his opinion concisely and being negative about things without it becoming a spoiler filled riffing session. He's one of the few internet video-reviewers who's capable of putting together a honest to god review. It's a pretty low standard to set but it's amazing how many video-reviewers can't (or won't) do this.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
So Film Crit Hulk has just released a new textwall.

What does everyone think of the guy.

In general, I think he has some excellent things to say but his shtick is awful. It's so false and calculated (which is ironic considering Hulk's fondness for making sweeping rhetorical statements about capital S Sincerity) and lazy (the guy makes no attempt to write in character and, I suspect, uses his gimmick as an excuse not to edit, or to edit only lightly, because no one expects anything written by the Hulk to be polished) and it betrays a really condescending, if not outright contemptuous, attitude toward his audience. I really want to write high minded film criticism and think pieces, every Hulk essay screams from between the lines, but you wouldn't read it so I've geek-baited it up some.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 7, 2014

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I click on the Film Critic Hulk guy for the first time and scroll down and the, like, third story is "WE NEED TO CHANGE HOW WE TALK ABOUT RAPE".

That's one of his best pieces. It's also the one that really soured me on his shtick. In that case the adherence to his gimmick is just incredibly misguided and undercuts every point he's trying to make.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Isn't the thing about Eugenics that there's probably something in the theory, but to conclusively prove anything would mean conducting a whole lot of super unethical experiments and that by supporting it your siding yourself with a lot of people with really toxic worldviews.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Cinema Sins is on the front page of Cracked.

In never got the hate directed at this guy by the TGWTG crowd when he started up. Sure his stuff was inane nickpicky crap but was tightly scripted inane nitpicky crap instead of drawn out slightly more substantive but still pretty inane nickpicky crap. When it come's to choosing between the two I'll pick the one that wastes less of my time thank-you very much.

That said, the video I've linked to is 15 minutes long (Which is in my estimation about five times too long for the guy's shtick to sustain). If it's indicative of his of his current output, yup, I now agree, he's the worst.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Mutation posted:

CinemaSins seems like it borrows the "name list of flaws in an amusing voice" of the Plinkett reviews except they don't list actual flaws or use an amusing voice.

Cinema Sins is the :effort: version of Honest Trailers which is the :effort: version How It Should Have Ended which mostly consists of lazy and obvious nitpick humour.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Cracked's formula is getting stale. The site needs to give their writers the freedom to write their articles any way they want instead of forcing every contributor to Make it a listicle so it'll get hits; Remember to crack wise every other line because it say in our mission statement that we're a comedy site; and reference lots of stuff that nerds like because that's the demographic that reads us. A lot of the lifestyle articles are really interesting (especially the ones where the writer has gone out and interviewed someone in X profession) but I can't, off the top of my head, think of one that wouldn't be improved if was written in a less jokey style and with a less clickbaity structure.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

oh come on guys, He's a good cartoonist

People keep telling me this, but all I've ever seen from him is shouty, crude, poorly animated, monkey-cheese bullshit. Could someone please link me to some of his good cartoons?

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

poparena posted:

My latest video is on the first book in the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series by Kathryn Lasky. This was the most fun I've had writing a review in a while, I love being pleasantly surprised by something and finding myself working it over in my head days after experiencing it.

What I took away from this is that you haven't read Watership Down. If you're going to talk about the evolution of children's/YA fiction you really need to read that book.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Speaking of Brokeback Mountain, has anyone done a piece about how that movie fits into the Larry McMurty cannon, since he has a producer credit and co-wrote the screenplay, and since the film was aggressively rejected by a lot of people who I suspect really, really liked Lonesome Dove.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

e X posted:

Let's hope they keep out the frog DNA this time, because nobody wants to see that!

Now we know what the mystery Dino is in the Jurassic World trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

Who wants to take the new thread? I'm happy to take it again if no one else will. :)

It might be a good idea to hold off for a little bit. It'd be nice if the new thread began with people talking about internet critics internet critiquing things, instead of pages and pages of CApocalypse chat.

• Locked thread