Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Numberfour
Aug 9, 2013
Hello everyone, Cecil from Good Bad Flicks here. Been lurking for quite some time.

Obscurus Lupa plugged my show on here a while ago, which was very kind of her. I also did a video with her for the movie Traxx, which was a lot of fun. She does great work and if you aren't watching her stuff you should be.

Anyway, I'm here to throw my hat in the ring so to speak. After reading your likes and dislikes, I feel you would really enjoy what I produce. With my main show I take mostly B movies or disliked films and then split them in two parts. The first part I recap the movie along with some riffing. The second part I go into the production history of the film and discuss what they went through to get the film made. I feel that by looking at what went into a film, it shows why certain things may or may not have worked. I also have been doing original animation for the introduction of each video for about the past year.

To quote a fan from Reddit: "That is why I like his reviews. They all follow the same formula: Synopsis with critique, Trivia, then his take on why they might not be all that bad using the previous two sections of the review to back up his points. Very logical and entertaining way to analyze movies."

All of the films I cover are movies I like. I wanted to offer a counterpoint to the videos where people hate on certain films.

I have a spinoff called "Exploring" where I take a serious look at a specific movie that I feel is unfairly disliked, such as Halloween 3. These go much more in depth with the film than a normal episode.

Primarily my stuff is on Blip but I'll post the youtube links so if you don't like my material, you won't be giving me any CPM.

Here are a few more recent ones.

The Fly 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nKIo6HvB_o

Blair Witch 2 (one of my Exploring videos and a favorite)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAkmHSzUIHQ

Also the one I did with Lupa, Traxx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx2kQBg-FzI

This is mostly a one man show, with the exception of a good friend of mine that does the intro animations. Comments, criticisms welcome. Hope you take the time and enjoy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numberfour
Aug 9, 2013

Jay O posted:

Protip please do not "quote a fan from reddit" to sell yourself. :ohdear: That is a phrase no one particularly wants to hear.

(Actually, "quoting someone else who liked my stuff once" in general is never necessary. Putcher links forth with a brief description and I'm sure your material will speak for itself. :) )

Also, poo poo son, don't sell yourself short, post the blip links! :stare: I know what Blip CPMs are like, there's no shame in trying to get a couple pennies for your hard work. Additionally, gently caress youtube in general.

Thanks for the advice. I'm good at making content, not really the best at selling myself...hence the unnecessary quotes and such.

I know a lot of folks hate youtube but they have done me well for the most part. I've gathered a nice audience from there who never would have found me otherwise and have since gravitated to my site. (although with youtube's new restrictions I might be disgusted with them next year) I occasionally run into trolls but I just ignore them and they go and bother someone else.

EDIT: Oh and also on the topic of Radiodrome, I'm the guy who is taking over the regular spot since Brad left. Sad to see him go but I'm sure his new show will be another monster hit.

Numberfour fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 7, 2013

Numberfour
Aug 9, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

I really dug the Traxx review so I'll definitely check your other stuff out sometime.

I appreciate how you let the movie content speak for itself.

Thank you! I try to keep the focus on the movies as much as possible. I occasionally go into some experiences I've had with the film/series/whatever but usually I try to keep it about the material and not about me.

Miss Wallace posted:

Youtube is good for widening the audience. It's not the best for reviews in general due to the copyright policies but there's nothing wrong with posting there. :)

And while I'm here I'll say y'all should check out Good Bad Flicks, he does great stuff. Congrats on the new position, Cecil.

Thanks Lupa :)

echopapa posted:

I jumped in with "Rad," because I realized it's been far too long since I called anything "rad." Anyway, you've got an effective formula and good technical skills. The one bit of advice I'd give is that when you're recapping, it's funnier if you don't just describe strange things that happen, but you also try to come up with a reason why the strange thing is happening. Example: "The mayor is a total sleaze" is less funny than "The town's elected a total sleaze as the mayor, no doubt because the citizens wanted a leader who could attract an AXE Body Spray manufacturing plant."

(may not actually be funnier, but you get the idea)

I appreciate the view and the notes. However, I don't feel that everything has to be a joke. Sometimes I am just addressing points that will lead up to a joke or perhaps just an observation.

ace_beef posted:

Watched a bunch of this today and found it very enjoyable. Having a trivia section at the end is a clever idea and interesting.

Thank you! The trivia has been a favorite.

Ghostpilot posted:

First and foremost:

Checked out half a dozen or so videos on your site and I have one question: why am I only hearing of you now? :aaa: Even the early videos are good, and that's rare. The only issue I had with those were that the brief "also seen in" recaps for the principal actors of that particular movie had a tendency to add up to a sizeable chunk of the video. But that's much less of an issue in the more recent stuff.

I still have a heck of a lot to pour through, but you have a new fan in me. :)

Edit: Also to echo what Jay O said: don't sell yourself short. I'm very much the same way in regards to selling myself, but you're really are much better than you let on in your initial post.

Best of luck on Radiodrome, by the way!

Big thanks! Really glad you enjoyed them. I put tons of effort into each video to try to make them as entertaining and as informative as possible.

My old videos where I went more into the "this guy did that" sort of material was mostly due to the fact that I was just doing these for my friends. I really had no intention of expanding until I started getting messages from others who were enjoying them. After I saw there was an audience for this stuff I started playing with the formula until I found one that worked. (part riff, part trivia)

I did my first "official" Radiodrome last friday, which should be up this week. We talk about Cinemax getting rid of their programming that has earned them the "skinemax" title, as well as the general decline of diversity in cable television.

Thanks again everyone :)

Numberfour
Aug 9, 2013

Mogambo posted:

It's cool to deflect the argument that the video game man is giant baby about profiting from other peoples work because I mispelled a word.

You are missing the point. Many of the Lets Players and reviewers have the explicit ok from the game companies to do exactly what they are doing. What they are currently being hit with are a combination of music rights owners claiming they own the rights to the music being played within the game, as well as various trolls that are false flagging accounts.

Essentially, the music rights owners think they should get 100% of the ad revenue for a video because there happens to be a song they own playing during a portion of it. (for example, a radio station within GTA playing in the background)

There are numerous game companies coming out of the woodwork to help get this fixed. They understand that Lets players are free advertising and shutting them down would only hurt them. Not to mention it would be a PR nightmare.

Here is a link to a few official company twitters that are looking into the matter.

http://i.imgur.com/YWlP1VU.jpg?1

Numberfour
Aug 9, 2013

Ghostpilot posted:

A great one by Good Bad Flicks: Santa's Slay. Wonderful intro sequence as well! :D

I caught a glimpse of this movie on the latest OSW Review, but getting an in-depth look at it now has me mystified. For the over-the-top camp this movie is, the cast is remarkable! Really, that movie is surprisingly well done to have been cranked out inside of a month!

Thanks! I had been getting requests to do that once pretty much since I started.

Glad you liked the intro as well. I wanted to have something different for this one and I think it turned out fantastic. My new favorite of the intros.

For a movie that is often overlooked as silly horror/comedy fare, it is very well done! The whole thing moves as a great clip and Goldberg is hilarious. I love the movie for being what it set out to be. It takes itself just serious enough. Such a shame we have 5 Scary Movies (although I do like the first one) and only 1 Santa's Slay. I would have absolutely been on board for a sequel.

Numberfour
Aug 9, 2013

Ghostpilot posted:

Branching out from the Good Bad Flicks, Cecil tries a Good Bad Game: Manhunter New York.

I'd played several Sierra games as a kid, but never knew of this one. I've seen sadistic games, I've played sadistic games, but this is a level of sadism one rarely encounters. Manhunter's just mean.

I'm really digging the 8-bit animations / interludes as well. I'm not sure how much additional work / time they add to the review, but they certainly do add a lot!

Awesome! Really glad you liked it. This was something I've been wanting to do for a while and finally got to actually doing.

Manhunter NY is just brutal. Even with save states, the game is still tough. I don't know how I was able to beat it back in the day.

I had more 8 bit animations planned but just didn't have enough time to complete them. I got the best ones done first (the intro, the "chase" and the "hallway scene") but the others weren't really funny enough to justify the time involved. They took a lot more work than I anticipated! Still, now that I know what is involved I can plan accordingly.

Numberfour
Aug 9, 2013

Terminal Entropy posted:

Cecil has an SA account and has posted in this thread a few times, wouldn't be surprised if he told Josh about it.

Yep, that's me. Honestly, I told Josh to get him riled up and then we had a good laugh about it. Now Alex and I call him a shrieking harpy.

While I'm here, let me plug my video about movie trailer cliches.

http://blip.tv/goodbadflicks/wtf-happened-to-movie-trailers-6854517

and what the hell, Mazes and Monsters: The D&D is evil movie.

http://blip.tv/goodbadflicks/mazes-and-monsters-good-bad-flicks-6799862

Numberfour
Aug 9, 2013

Tracula posted:

Glad I could provide some laughs. :v: I appreciated the dedication as well, the Radiodrome about trailers was pretty neat although I'm a bit sad that you didn't get Spoony on board for the Highlander episode.

Yeah, we were all fired up about the trailers one. Spoony is a big Highlander guy? Didn't know, I don't really watch his stuff all that often. Actually, I pretty much know what he's doing from this thread. I don't think I've watched any of his videos in years.

OrangeKing posted:

I disagree with you vehemently on the most important point of your review!!! Jay Jay totally didn't kill his character on purpose, he was just an idiot who couldn't tell treasure from gem-encrusted spikes :colbert:

Maybe he just really wanted those gem encrusted spikes! Whatever the case, a great holy man even greater than Pardue will restore him to the living.

MisterBibs posted:

Which one is this mentioned in? #175?

Yep, 175 the movie trailers one.

Numberfour
Aug 9, 2013

Infamous Sphere posted:

Welp, I sent them a submission and got a form rejection (despite the fact that Diamanda Hagan suggested me as well, and a CA internal suggestion apparently counted for more than a regular submission.) Oh well. I can only suppose that I wasn't suitable, or that with the hiring of the more well-known and more popular Rantasmo, their gay critic quota was filled. My show page is here, and in case the Rantasmo reference didn't clue you in, I review LGBT stuff and period drama.

Apparently one of the people who was hired hasn't made a video yet, so I'm...not sure how that works. But in the end, it's their decision.

I submitted an application because, why not? The extra exposure would be nice. I didn't get in despite being a constantly recommended show on Blip by the editors and occasionally even an audience favorite. (although those have admittedly been on autopilot for the past few months) I was even on the front page of tgwtg with my Lupa crossover the day I got my rejection letter. Humorously ironic with a sting. Oh well, wasn't meant to be.

I know Linkara recommended The Film Renegado and he didn't get in. Rob Walker posted one of my videos on his facebook page back in April (which I found out just recently) and coincidentally, that was one of the videos I submitted. That was rather nice of him, shame it didn't help.

The video in question, shameless plug.

I am happy for the folks that got in. Glad to see the site finally getting some positive horror reviewers.

Numberfour fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 28, 2014

Numberfour
Aug 9, 2013

Miss Wallace posted:

There were quite a handful of folks who were suggested by producers and didn't get picked up, more than did really. While producer suggestions were taken into consideration, it's really not much of a help. Sorry you didn't make it though.

Thanks Allison. It's all good, this kind of thing isn't going to stop me its just another speed bump.

Infamous Sphere posted:

I could be wrong, but I think, based on who they picked up, CA might have wanted people who were really accessible - so, people who usually focussed on reviewing things that weren't that rare or niche. So, Renegado, for instance, would be out, because Mexican cinema is too niche (?) a specialty, and Good Bad Flicks would be out, because the show often talks about a lot of obscure cinema, and Rantasmo was in because while his videos are about LGBT culture, which isn't on everyone's radar, they're very short, accessible videos about LGBT culture, sort of an LGBT 101 in some cases.

I'll probably never know for sure since they only send out a form letter. (which is understandable, with the amount of applicants they received) Even if I did know, it wouldn't make a difference because I wouldn't tailor the show to meet any other criteria except for my own. If I'm not happy with it, why would I be making it?

Mokinokaro posted:

My guess is it's not just CA making these decisions. Blip is involved too and Blip mostly just wants consistent content generation so they get more ad views.

I really doubt Blip had anything to do with it considering they've been on autopilot since May. Also, more than a few of the pickups were from youtube.

Numberfour fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 29, 2014

Numberfour
Aug 9, 2013

Annointed posted:

Doug talks about the top trailers which made us watch the movies, despite the quality of the films the trailers were based on.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/44275-top-11-trailers

In a way I'm sort of disappointed in how some reviewers don't seem to want to analyze trailers other than "this hyped me up, and when I saw the movie I felt ripped off".

Sort of like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqQhaV-fWyg

Numberfour
Aug 9, 2013

LoonShia posted:

Because when I think of a guy who can make green poo poo with his magical ring and who's weak against the color yellow, I think grimdark.

Green Lantern is actually already a dark character. The various Green Lanterns over the years (there has been more than one) have had some very serious story lines and are not like the silly perception of him from the Super Friends.

After the battle Superman and Doomsday, Hal Jordan's home city is destroyed. He then goes on a rampage, killing other members of the Green Lanter Corps in order to steal their rings so he can use the power to resurrect the entire city and all the people who died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numberfour
Aug 9, 2013

Ghostpilot posted:

I really dig this. Reminds me of SFDebris and Good Bad Flicks: analytical while entertaining. Generally speaking, I've found that once reviewers step in front of the camera, there comes a tendency to over-produce and become distracted from the subject of the review. Thanks for the introduction! :)

That is exactly it for me. I stay behind the camera because I want to keep the focus on whatever I happen to be talking about.

• Locked thread