Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

CJacobs posted:

And also wears titanium briefs.

Best gear in the game. They hid them pretty well, but any player that did enough exploring was amply rewarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

As for the last point, they said that they cut out enough material to make another 4-5 games, so any time anything doesn't make sense, just assume it's sitting in a discarded document file somewhere.

That explains so much.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Ghetto Prince posted:

That explains so much.
It also happens to be the excuse literally everyone makes, when they turn in sub-par writing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ufarn posted:

It also happens to be the excuse literally everyone makes, when they turn in sub-par writing.

Considering exactly 0% of the snippets of gameplay we saw from trade shows prior to 2013 made it into the game we got I'm willing to believe it. If they were slicing entire gameplay segments out they they made playable for E3 or whatever who knows what they were doing for words.

Doesn't make it better though.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I would say from a storytelling point of view, for any medium, if you're going to write a downer ending you should think very hard about why.

In Cry The Beloved Country the son dies but the reader is cued into the injustices of the apartheid regime. In The Departed everybody dies because violence perpetuates itself in a vicious cycle. In Bioshock Infinite Booker and Elizabeth die because...gently caress them, I guess.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Xibanya posted:

I would say from a storytelling point of view, for any medium, if you're going to write a downer ending you should think very hard about why.

In Cry The Beloved Country the son dies but the reader is cued into the injustices of the apartheid regime. In The Departed everybody dies because violence perpetuates itself in a vicious cycle. In Bioshock Infinite Booker and Elizabeth die because...gently caress them, I guess.

I think Booker and Elizabeth die because Bioshock Infinite ended up not having a proper narrative arc, so the writers just went with killing the main characters because it is super-edgy and serious and not at all because they had no idea what they were doing.

If I were to perform literary analysis on what passes for Bioshock Infinite's plot it is that redemption is impossible, and really the only thing you can do is kill yourself, preferably before you do anything. Nothing you do matters in the end, and suicide is the best option.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I think Booker and Elizabeth die because Bioshock Infinite ended up not having a proper narrative arc, so the writers just went with killing the main characters because it is super-edgy and serious and not at all because they had no idea what they were doing.

If I were to perform literary analysis on what passes for Bioshock Infinite's plot it is that redemption is impossible, and really the only thing you can do is kill yourself, preferably before you do anything. Nothing you do matters in the end, and suicide is the best option.

Did the Lutece's fail to hammer in, "lived, live, will live" or do you already have to be nonsensical to get that message?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sithsaber posted:

Did the Lutece's fail to hammer in, "lived, live, will live" or do you already have to be nonsensical to get that message?

I see the writer's vapid attempt at obfuscation succeeded in your case. My condolences.

The whole invocation of "infinite possibilities" is undercut by the inane "constants and variables" meme they throw in to handwave away the lobotomized linearity of the idiot tragedy they ended up vomiting out.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I see the writer's vapid attempt at obfuscation succeeded in your case. My condolences.

The whole invocation of "infinite possibilities" is undercut by the inane "constants and variables" meme they throw in to handwave away the lobotomized linearity of the idiot tragedy they ended up vomiting out.

Meh, I just think that they didn't know what to do with that resolution once they got to it. Pilot waves are a thing in quantum physics, and the living archetype shtick could have been super meta.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sithsaber posted:

Meh, I just think that they didn't know what to do with that resolution once they got to it. Pilot waves are a thing in quantum physics, and the living archetype shtick could have been super meta.

If there was a coherent plot originally, it sure didn't make it into the final product. The DLCs, rather than helping with that, just make it even worse. I really, really hope that any future Bioshock games just ignore Infinite's plot. Borrow from some of the gameplay, sure, but leave the stupid failure of an attempt at a plot alone.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If there was a coherent plot originally, it sure didn't make it into the final product. The DLCs, rather than helping with that, just make it even worse. I really, really hope that any future Bioshock games just ignore Infinite's plot. Borrow from some of the gameplay, sure, but leave the stupid failure of an attempt at a plot alone.

As I've posted before, there are ways to get around the DLCs stupidity that can still keep to "canon". (Canon's relative when each ingame death technically jumps you to a new reality)

Mix theory of forms with archetypes and you can power headcannon your way through uniting Bioshock 2, Infinite, BaS and even Dishonored into the same meta-continuity.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Sithsaber posted:

As I've posted before, there are ways to get around the DLCs stupidity that can still keep to "canon". (Canon's relative when each ingame death technically jumps you to a new reality)

Mix theory of forms with archetypes and you can power headcannon your way through uniting Bioshock 2, Infinite, BaS and even Dishonored into the same meta-continuity.

Cross out Dishonored and drop in You Are Empty, Bioshock's weird, kinda-slow cousin from the former Soviet Union and we might have something here. It's a far worse game than any of the Bioshocks, but it treads some of the same thematic ground, with the main difference being that it's based on a utopian political project that someone actually tried to do, and that it's (to me, anyway) slightly more ambivalent about utopian projects that the 'Shocks ever were.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

What about Singularity? Plays like Bioshock does to some extent and does time travel and dimensions better than Infinite ever did.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Marshal Radisic posted:

Cross out Dishonored and drop in You Are Empty, Bioshock's weird, kinda-slow cousin from the former Soviet Union and we might have something here. It's a far worse game than any of the Bioshocks, but it treads some of the same thematic ground, with the main difference being that it's based on a utopian political project that someone actually tried to do, and that it's (to me, anyway) slightly more ambivalent about utopian projects that the 'Shocks ever were.

Oh come on, Dishonored has a girl, a lighthouse and a super pessimistic view on politics and rebellion.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Half-Life 2 contains a man (a g-man) (or doctor breen i guess), a city (17), and a lighthouse defense segment. It also has allusions to the way people live under an iron rule in times of war and the constant propaganda stuffing-down-throats that goes along with it. Therefore Half-Life 2 is part of the Bioshock Infinite universe.

edit: G-Man is basically Robert Lutece If He Had A Stroke.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

CJacobs posted:

Half-Life 2That's why it's ains a man (a g-man) (or doctor breen i guess), a city (17), and a lighthouse defense segment. It also has allusions to the way people live under an iron rule in times of war and the constant propaganda stuffing-down-throats that goes along with it. Therefore Half-Life 2 is part of the Bioshock Infinite universe.

edit: G-Man is basically Robert Lutece If He Had A Stroke.

Everything is part of the Infinite universe. Thats why it's infinite.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If I could go back in time, I would go back to the original Zybourne Clock threads and post a steampunk lighthouse concept art. Alas.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Rereading the first page or two of the thread because I can't believe I've been bitching about this dumb game for more than a year and

CJacobs posted:

At least the game is complete and we don't need to buy the Bioshock Infinite: Aftermath DLC for 20bux to get the rest of the ending.:smith:

Sorry for jinxing us everyone :(

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Finished the game again tonight, to get the achievement for completing in 1999 mode. It was mildly tougher, and I still somehow missed a telescope or videoplayer (whatever they're called). Filled in a bunch of other achievements, though.

Knowing how the game ends, it was really frustrating to see all these points in the narrative where they could have crafted real Bioshock endings, and instead just pissed it all away on the extra-stupid exposition-fest they went with instead. The stupid little post-credits bit tacked on just feels like an admission that their ending sucked, so here is a really lame attempt at "THE END.............or is it?"

I'd already played both episodes of Burial at Sea, and am not sure I am going to do them again in 1999 mode. Those feel a little insulting, particularly with the alternate Anna-abduction scene and further mangling of their already inane time-travel/parallel universe schlock.

In the main game, they totally could have let Booker play as a villain, and get an ending where he is bombing New York, not for some religious zealotry, but for profit. Hell, he could've had Anna scoop up other Bookers from alternate realities and amass an army of himself, rather like how Rosalind Luttece brought her male version over.

They could have taken the story so many different ways, and instead they drove it into the ground and invoked an asinine "grandfather paradox" to end it with.

The Booker/Elizabeth story reads like an overly complicated tragedy, and the obnoxious hubris is the idea that they can redeem themselves, when the plot states that they clearly can't, so the only way to deal with it is to kill them all, except maybe Super Elizabeth, and the Rapture Booker, because gently caress it, we need DLC.

To then try to justify Elizabeth's existence by her setting in motion the events of Bioshock 1 just struck me as weak, frivolous, and an insult to that game's much better and more original storyline. So many missed opportunities, because like I have said, I actually really like the gameplay in Infinite, otherwise I wouldnt've spent 71 hours in the game so far. It is just a serious disappointment to see a great franchise sink to postmodern cheese and abandon player agency in the narrative.

I super agree with you, and the part I italicized got me thinking: maybe the crux of the problem is that they over-simplified the quantum poo poo b turning it into a tale of two Bookers, as it were. Like maybe if they really opened up the choices given to this violent and broken man and gave him a serious multitude of ways he could have turned out and done things instead of two basic ones (and the one where he's a Vox Populi martyr I guess, not that it has any real effect besides adding new enemy types and lord knows there's been enough discussed about how they hosed up the Vox) it would make more sense. Hell, to use Obsidian examples either a KOTOR 2-esque theme of choices have far-reaching impossible to predict implications and effects or even an Alpha Protocol massive branching sort of structure (which strikes me as drat near impossible to make but I can dream) would really work, using quantum bullshit to really take a look at how choices wok and define us instead of using two real extremes that are so far removed that even post-reveal Comstock and Booker are really two different characters (hell, Burial at Sea pt 1 pretty much solidifies that they are two different characters, talking about Comstocks always running and blaming others and having the AD mark be a tatoo instead of self-mutilation, which is dumb as hell but hey). Really have a big thing showing the impacts of these choices and make it clear that there was a gradual curve from Booker to Comstock instead of "well I found religion time to be a prophet :haw:". There's also a seriously missed opportunity to do something like give Booker the chance to make choices in Comstock's position, to really show the difference (or similarities!) of the man he is and the man he will become (or is that the man he is and the man he was? gently caress, time travel), show the effects experiences and growing viewpoints have on your basic self as a person. As it stands Comstock and Booker are so drat alien to each other that my reaction to them being the same person was "Oh, okay. Whatever. :geno:" because it almost seems academic, with no real weight to their difference of opinion(the exception to this is the Hall of Heroes, which remains one of the best parts in the game by a good margin, dumbshit soldier death stuff aside. Also maybe when Comstock addresses Booker directly). You could just murder some guy and the narrative would be almost unchanged outside of the last five minutes. Comstock hardly even works as a foil: he does stuff that pisses Booker off because he regrets fobbing off Anna, but again that has little to do with him being the same dude and more him being the guy who ended up getting her, and could have been anyone with an abusive and controlling streak.

tl:dr is that in its present form B:I could have used a couple fewer twists to have worked out well. As it stands they didn't go far enough with its implications to really make any sort of cogent point or argument: you could have been this way but you aren't and there is no alternative. No Booker who maybe had some sense smacked into him and became a good dude or maybe met Anna's mother as Comstock or something. It says a lot that a game about the dangers of twisting Christian ideas to justify brutalizing the poor and foreign ends up having a really overtly Christian reading of the narrative(be actually humble and don't try to assume yourself as a great authority, love thy neighbour) being the message that makes the most sense, especially since you can really tell they didn't mean for it to be so (or if they did that's really hosed up because repentance through death for something you didn't do is a really weird martyr thing that hasn't been a thing in American Christianity more or less ever).

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Mr. Fortitude posted:

What about Singularity? Plays like Bioshock does to some extent and does time travel and dimensions better than Infinite ever did.

We need to go deeper.

Cryostasis

Thanks to time travel, the entire game doesn't happen .... I think.

Surprisingly, even with its technical limitations, Cryostasis pulled time travel off better than Infinite.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Cryostasis was a drat good game. Dear people disappointed with Infinite's terrible attempt at putting time travel in a video game: Play Cryostasis.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cryostasis runs like absolute trash almost no matter what hardware you throw at it. There's some really cool surreal stuff in there so I think it's worth the time, but you'll frequently get to enjoy single digit frame rates for no apparent reason.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also the main melee weapon may or may not be a wiimote.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Cryostasis' optimization is a hilarious tragedy but hardware has advanced to the point where it can run pretty well in spite of that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As long as you don't max every setting Cryostasis runs fine. The problem is finding it. It was removed from every digital store I know of some years ago. Only way to get it now is a physical copy.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That, and American writers have really loved writing grimdark downer stuff for a while.

That trend needs to die soon.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Ok, so I just finished the dlc for B:I...what the gently caress was the point of anything in the series? What the gently caress were the twins ever trying to accomplish? What...why was Sally SO GODAMN IMPORTANT? It...I... :psyduck:

I wish we got the Infinite that was in the early previews :( gently caress you Ken Levine

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

It helps if you think Ken Levine went crazy and decided to ruin his series Andrew Ryan-style.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Roman Reigns posted:

It helps if you think Ken Levine went crazy and decided to ruin his series Andrew Ryan-style.

I came to this place to build the impossible. You came to rob what you could never build -- a Hun gaping at the gates of Rome. Even the air you breathe is sponged from my account. Well breathe deep, so later you might remember the taste!
*farts all over the franchise*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Just finished both "Burial at Sea" episodes a couple days ago, and like most of you, I was really disappointed with the ending. I had spoiled it for myself a couple months ago, but I still didn't like it. I got invested in Booker and Elizabeth, and they get pretty unhappy endings, while the personality-devoid Jack gets a Disney-ified (canonical) ending in the first game. gently caress you, Levine. You made an amazing series of games, and I even like a lot of the DLC, but that ending just wasn't fulfilling. And you knew it wouldn't be fulfilling, because you're not so stupid as to think that it would be fulfilling.

Or at least give Elizabeth a better death than a loving wrench to the noggin, especially by a douchey thug like Fontaine, who I've never really liked anyway.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 24, 2014

• Locked thread