Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

They have been retained for safekeeping until a more suitable group of stewards can be found.

Also I am now further into AoW 2 than I have been before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Age of Wonders 2 - Life, Special Phase: The Elven Retreat

Merlin posted:

By helping them I may gain Elven trust. I may be able to learn something valuable.
I do not particularly like the idea of taking a detour from pursuing Julia's captors, but I know that if I lose the trail I will need some means of regaining it and these Elves may be our only hope.

Elven Noble posted:

We have had no word recently from the elven townships to the southeast. If they still stand, they would prove valuable allies should we be able to reestablish contact with them.
The Elves here are a pleasant relief from their brethren back in the valley. They still trust me and look to me for help and guidance, not with accusatory eyes. They are still not perfect, however, as I can feel within them the desire to draw away from the rest of the world and leave it to its fate while they read, write, and philosophize about things that will likely never happen.

Three familiar faces greet me again, their lips tossing out pathetic little threats to me while offering the means by which to tear their unholy alliance apart in these lands.

Elven Noble posted:

Beyond that, we have learned that Nekron's alliances are quite tenuous. While we are unlikely to ever earn the favor of Mab or Yaka, you may be able to turn them against Nekron as well, by learning what motivates them.
Even the Elves here are able to see those potential vulnerabilities, though they lack the means by which to achieve those objectives. There is hope for their kind yet.

Indeed all is not well in the Conspiracy as Mab declares war on Yaka shortly after my arrival. It is no surprise that the co-conspirators are turning upon each other. They all no doubt act upon greed, and greed is not satisfied with compromises.

My champions soon find one of the other Elven settlements. Just in time it would seem as they were completely unprepared to defend themselves against the threats in this land.

Threats such as wandering groups of Goblins. While few in number these small packs of Goblins could easily overwhelm the hapless Elven scholars and poets in these settlements.

Long forgotten ruins are present in this land, found only because the blight has withered away the dense growths that once completely hid them. Mostly destroyed and useless, they still have the occasional prize, both great and petty.

Under the watchful eyes and wise guidance of my two Elven champions, Chanta is soon able to work the mystical art of healing herself.

Me posted:

Healing is really a no-brainer in terms of upgrades. There's very few options better than it and having all three heroes with it makes it even better.

A quick little expedition underground reveals a surprising sight: Mab in a poorly defended city.

Why drive a wedge between these conspirators when I can just drive them out?

me posted:

No pictures of this fight. I would say it was because the fight wasn't that impressive (it wasn't), but rather because I forgot to take any.

Signs down here speak of something called The Sanctum. It sounds important but I have no idea what it is.

Also underground is Yaka's prized champion, Karzen. He has been... changed to be nigh-invulnerable against most attacks, but nigh is not the same thing as invulnerable.

Me posted:

Yep. He's got 20 defense and resistance. Rather dangerous against units with more normal attacks. Even a 14 attack would struggle against it.

Nigh-invulnerable is now the same thing as dead. Against a lesser opponent he might have triumphed, but my champions are not such a foe.

Me posted:

Especially when one of your Champions is at 19 or 20 in every stat now.

Yaka does not take this loss well.

Not well at all. Such is the folly of conspiracies. They lack a true and noble purpose and soon turn upon each other and tear themselves apart.

A strange and powerful teleporter is found underground and is taken by my champions. Were it leads we do not know.

Eventually it leads to this most interesting location and upon it's arrival we're greeted by Mab again... Or apparently an echo of her in this place, taunting us with words that even more hollow the second time we hear them.

Me posted:

I may have broken a script here. No doubt that this would have been the 'Mab turns on Nekron' spot but since she's already gone the game just kicked out her opening message once more. Rather amusing.

I call upon an Angel from the Heavens, a call that is answered and only serves to validate my righteous cause. Though her first action of recovering a spell from a nearby vault is, while beneficial, a bit questionable strategically.

To the west, deep in the blighted lands, my Champions find some of Nekron's forces and are able to quickly overwhelm and crush those unholy mockeries of life.

Even the Elves here seem to be stiffed by Righteous fervor. A small handful of their magnificent archers are able to hold off an undead assault at their vulnerable village.

My Champions soon find the Arch-Schemer himself. Protected by a decent number of unholy aberrations, Nekron would be quite the tough obstacle for normal troops to deal with.

But normal troops my forces are not. They cut through the undead in a frenzy and soon banish Nekron to the ether, but unfortunately not from this land. The vile wizard still has a refuge here.

Both Nekron and Yaka still remain here, but so do some Elven settlements, still somehow untouched by the fighting that ravage these lands.

More Angels flock to my cause, descending from the ethereal heights to rally to my cause. Two of them find the skulking place of Nekron but do not attack him for now, not willing to test his defenses just yet.

Instead they get to watch as I declare my utter domination of this land and my complete mastery of the Sphere of Life. Beacons of blessed holiness erupt through the lands, purging the corruption of magic and exerting my divine influence throughout the region. A cleansing shall be performed here.

Wretchedness and corruption are purged from whatever dank hole it lurks within. Vile aberrations are destroyed and defiled remains cleansed and laid to rest.

Terrible artefacts of great and wicked power are found and properly disposed of into nearby volcanoes.

The damage that has been done to this land is incredible, but all damage can be repaired by the light of purity and creation.

Yaka is found, cowering behind his brave but doomed Tigrans. I send forth one Champion to deal with them all, to give them the noble deaths that they deserve. A death that their leader is most undeserving of.

My Champion enters. My Champion Leaves. Noone is left behind. The purging is complete.

The conspiracy is no more in this land. Only Nekron remains, and this land will be cleansed of his presence soon.

And what a Champion I have. Mighty Torgal! Blessed Torgal! Divine Crusader of the Light! He Who Strikes with the Light of Creation! Smiter of Wickedness and the Impure!

Nekron's time is nigh. The day begins with a great eruption of divine light above his last stronghold. Blessed energies that tear at the unholy corruption that binds his undead slaves together. Few fall, but most are weakened and savaged by RIghteousness.

That is only a prelude to the holy energies that my Champions call upon the battlefield. Bolstered by their just cause, they stand unharmed as a Divine Rebuking rushes over the land again and again.

Nekron's undead legions wilt before such divinity, unable to resist the truth of their vile existence. What still remains is a shadow of its former self. Just mere bits waiting to be fully undone.

And undone they soon are. Unmade by blessed swords of flame or instantly reborn into the very land they corrupted by winged wyrms of glitter.

The end result was never in doubt. This land has been cleansed of Evil's Corruption and will now be able to heal.

The refuge of the Elves is safe once more. Now watched over and defended by the Champions of Light, ready to remove any wicked corruption that tries to breach its borders once more.

Merlin posted:

They discuss Covenants, Archons, Elves, Inioch's betrayal, Human betrayal, and Queen Julia's abdication of the Wizard's Throne to Gabriel. Unlike these Elves, I am human and haven't the luxury of time or length debate, so I go.

I learn a bit more of the grand conspiracy from these Elves, but soon they descend into their grand and vague philosophizing. I get one of the more grounded ones to agree to send me any information that they happen to achieve before I move on. They are the Good That Does Nothing and I cannot allow myself to succumb to such thoughts. The Crusade must continue.

Gabriel calls me again. He says it is time for me to master Air. I look forward to such for when the very winds themselves carry upon them the Holy Fervor, who can stand up against my righteousness?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's a nice little mission, too bad that you broke the scripting. But you found a clever way to incorporate it into the narrative.

Next up: My favorite magic sphere in AoW2.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Weird that you just caught out one of the enemy commanders early and dropped them.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Are you doing okay?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mraagvpeine posted:

Are you doing okay?

I am, just a combination of not having enough familiarity with the later parts of the game causing me to make some bad choices and a limited amount of spare time thanks to an injury I'm dealing with.

I've got a bit of an update I can throw up, hopefully soon.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That sucks for you. Especially since most of the more minor injuries usually cause you to have more time to play games and LP them, so whatever you have is probably really bad. :ohdear:

Get well soon Taerkar!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Age of Wonders 2 - Air, Initiation Phase: The First Wisps

(Oh god, how long has it been? I don't even know where I am *in game*)

Merlin posted:

Evidently, this conspiracy of wizards is not opposed to turning against one of their own. I don't care what happens to Artica but I must retrieve Julia alone.

I cannot help but feel like my awareness has grown with the power of air, my thoughts wander to the clouds and look for little holes and answers everywhere. I may be alone again, the Elves cannot be counted upon, but I am also relentless like the wind.

The task ahead of me is daunting, I have very poor information of what is ahead and I could only bring a few of my troops to these lands with me. I left the Elves still loyal to me with their philosophical brethren as they will need the protection more than me.

I have done this before and I will no doubt do this again.

A forgotten watchtower provides us with old but very helpful maps of the surrounding lands, including the location of the first bit of civilization in this land that we have seen for days as we chased after the drake.

The village is still there but it is not in good shape. Apparently the wolves to the north have been descending into the farms around the village and preying upon the livestock. This will have to be dealt with.

My attunement with the sphere of air gives me a strange sort of sensitivity to the lands around me, not strong enough to give me any real idea of what I'm dealing with, but I get the sense of powerful magics being twisted far to the east. This is bothersome, to say the least.

Me posted:

This didn't get nearly as regular as that divine storm from the earlier mission.

Finally! We see our quarry before us... Or at least one of its brethren?

She tries to play dumb.

We both know there's going to be a reckoning anyways, placing Julia in the balance just makes it all that much more imminent.

And apparently her brain is a bit frozen.

Me posted:

Scripting error no doubt

The next day brings better news as a Frostling Shaman by the name of Shenga shows up at my settlement. She claims that the spirits told her to find me and to help me, less a great evil fall across the lands. It is good to know that they are on my side as well.

Dwarves will be Dwarves. Fangir is almost as cold to me as Artica.

Artica holds a couple of settlements on this bit of land that I am on, a situation that must be corrected as soon as possible.

While Shenga and her retinue are able to handle those small garrisons, she will need the assistance of my command of the domain if we are going to have continued success. As such I direct the construction of a new wizard's tower, though it will take a great amount of time to complete.

Artica's other settlement falls to Shenga's army as well, but there is a worrying sight to the west, a large chasm that twists into the underground, far too significant to be dismissed.

Shenga takes her force into the cave to see where it leads and confirms our fears that it is not a dead end. Just inside the entrance she encounters Estra, a Human scout who says that one of her companions went further into the underground as he chased after some spiders.

Without any warning a messenger from Fangir arrives with the offer of an alliance with him and the Dwarves. They are solid but strange people sometimes.

Arachna is here? What in the world is going on? Has another conspirator revealed herself? Or is there something deeper and darker going on?

In light of this revelation I instruct Shenga and Estra to emerge from the tunnels, but they are soon met by a 'gift' from Artica.

We are in a very precarious spot right now, Artica still threatens me, Arachna lurks beneath us, and I am not anywhere close to ready to push against either of them.

But the wind never stops. It can be redirected and slowed, but the wind is eternal.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
You're back! I hope you feel better.

Fangir is a cool dude. It's funny that you can finish this map with all basic spells of Air and Earth.

This is the first time that we meet Arachna or the Dark Elves, right? Their units are not quite as cool as they were in the first AoW.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I believe so, and their units really got nerfed, especially the executioners.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Yaaay, update! :toot: Hope your feeling better Taerkar!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So we rolled up for a fight with, perhaps, the wrong person, and got jumped by a trapmaster who was lying in wait?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I finally managed to catch up and I'm looking forward to whatever comes next.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I haven't abandoned this, I promise. My new job (yay for an actual career job!) has me working late due to us trying to piece together the 100,000 piece jigsaw puzzle left for us. And we don't have a box with a picture on it.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
:stare: Oh gods.

Also take your time. :)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

So a bit of a depressing update.

The stuff I mentioned last post in this thread has reached a culmination with said employer joining the ranks of the countless legions of defunct businesses in this country. The bank is in the process of liquidating and I'm being kept on until the end as a wonderful Independent Contractor until everything goes poof.

This, along with many other things, has not really left me with the kind of time that I need to continue, not that that's a surprise with it being over 9 months since the last update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It'll work out. And there have been longer pauses between updates, I believe.

I imagine the general thought is 'we'll wait'.

• Locked thread