Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Manky posted:

This doesn't always work, but I have one decent strategy for two shotting those guys. Watch 'em carefully. If they're just mashing on lmb, most vg weapons start out swinging right to left. Get the timing right and sprint past the vg. Use your alt-lmb with something fast as you're passing him so ideally you're almost hitting him off your screen. If that hit connects, spin around and try to stay behind him while you get an overhead off. If the vg is being tricky with a decent weapon, just disengage with a dodge and bolt.
Yeah, if they're just spamming slashes while flailing their mouse around, it should really not be that difficult to attack them in between swings. The windup on bigger weapons is slow enough that they're easily flinchable. You don't even need to dodge-attack, just running in is fine.

Slappy Moose posted:

I don't know how they can turn so fast while swinging, while I'm unable to turn that fast even as an MAA. It's just really annoying how hard it is to beat such a lovely, easy-to-use tactic. The problem with the kite shield is that small shields semi recently got nerfed, so they are harder to block with than a simple parry. Also VG weapons go through my blocks pretty often, so I hardly bother using them anymore.
Shields aren't that bad off, and as long as you don't keep your shield up 24/7 you'll never notice the stamina drain. Really, since the latest patch I find them much more consistent for blocking attacks, as long as you face the opponent's attack. (People who attack and then feint into a kick are real jerks though.)

Maybe you're coming too close to them? Because facehugging does make things very buggy, yeah.

az posted:

3rd person let's you turn around like a spastic while swinging :(
You should still be limited by how fast you can turn around though. I don't see how playing in 3rd person can make it any faster, although with Torn Banner anything is possible I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az
Dec 2, 2005

It works though you can turn much more in 3rd person.

And since you wrote about flinching people, is there any good reason why pretty often I attack people and they don't flich, which then means they continue their attack and I get clobbered despite getting them first?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

az posted:

It works though you can turn much more in 3rd person.

And since you wrote about flinching people, is there any good reason why pretty often I attack people and they don't flich, which then means they continue their attack and I get clobbered despite getting them first?

I've seen something about this in this community guide, I'm not sure how accurate or correct it is, but I haven't tested much either way:

steam user SgtSlaughter posted:

1. The "initiative" system
This is what I call the things that just made that 2 Hand Hammer Knight smash your dagger-wielding face in even though you were attacking as fast as you could.

Basically, the player who lands the first attack has the initiative. Initiative switches on misses or successful blocks/parries. I'll try to explain with an example.

Player A uses a 2 handed Hammer and hits Player B in the face with it. B is caught off guard by the attack.
Now Player A can continue to attack and B will almost never be able to get in a counterattack, not even with the hunting knife, because he will be "interrupted" by A's attacks. In order to gain the initiative B has to either block/parry an attack or make A miss an attack in some way.
As soon as he does that, he can counterattack and now A will not be able to do anything unless B misses or is blocked/parried.

There are exceptions, mostly from lag/ping, but by remembering this rule you can win a lot of fights against people who only try to counter attack you, always failiing even with the fastest weapons.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

I don't think it's that complex. What usually happens is that you hit someone in the tail-end of their attack, but just before they start winding up for their followup. Since you can't flinch people that have already started swinging, they'll be able to get their combo in anyways.

This means that if your timing is wrong, (i.e. you got hit by a maul and get flinched, then try to attack back with your dagger) you'll never actually hit them in their windup.

v It really does seem like the maps are mostly designed just to look cool, with gameplay being a mere afterthought.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 8, 2013

az
Dec 2, 2005

Just coming back from playing an hour, got stuck in terrain at least a dozen times. I've never seen any game or mod on the unreal engine that had maps with this many geometry issues :(

edit: At one point I was dueling a knight in enclosed spaces, strafed into the wall and got hitched on it. I tried to break free but I only kept moving upwards until he was slashing at my feet from below :allears:

az fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 8, 2013

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

YF-23 posted:

I've seen something about this in this community guide, I'm not sure how accurate or correct it is, but I haven't tested much either way:

That's really interesting, thanks. It actually explains some things I've noticed, though I can't vouch for it 100% either.

The geometry sucks sometimes. As you get more familiar with maps you get better at avoiding certain trouble spots. Also turn your fov all the way up. And if you haven't given third person a chance, you might as well go for it. I gave it a shot after I died stuck on roots one too many times. Boy it helps.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Exodee posted:

Maybe you're coming too close to them? Because facehugging does make things very buggy, yeah.
I like using the hatchet, which means I literally have to facehug them for the stupid thing to hit. Whereas people with the loving VG weapons can be literally 8 feet away from me, and the air past their swords will kill me.

az posted:

I think that in the patch before last, they made it so larger weapon users are harder to flinch. That's what I've found, at least. It's waaaay harder to get in someones face and, by getting past someone's blocks, keep them stunlocked. AKA you can't shutdown retarded vanguards who refuse to parry.

az posted:

edit: At one point I was dueling a knight in enclosed spaces, strafed into the wall and got hitched on it. I tried to break free but I only kept moving upwards until he was slashing at my feet from below :allears:
Have you ever gotten stuck in a whirlwind vanguard? BECAUSE THAT'S THE BEST. You're so close that your blocks don't work. I get stuck in map geometry all the loving time, because as someone who loving plays games often, I'm used to being able to sneak around and flank people and poo poo using cliffs or whatever. TF2 was loving great at this; there were so many unknown, alternate paths you could use by jumping cleverly across poo poo on the walls or whatever.

Chivalry maps are basically 50/50 normal-ground/flypaper.

Slappy Moose fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 8, 2013

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Speaking of face hugging being buggy anybody else notice that your swings seem faster while face hugging? Noticed this big time with the hunting knife while arching. Someone even accused me of a speedhack.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Anybody tried the Bushido mod for this? If so how is it?

Also we should gang up for a game some time.

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

Speaking of face hugging being buggy anybody else notice that your swings seem faster while face hugging? Noticed this big time with the hunting knife while arching. Someone even accused me of a speedhack.

That's because the closer the enemies hitboxes are to your weapon at the beginning of the attack the faster it connects and resets. I belive at least I can't speak on anything for certain in this game because some things seem like magic.

az fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 8, 2013

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Isn't Bushido not even out yet? They JUST got their first player model in, didn't they? The Archer.

Raekwon_Chef
Apr 9, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

Isn't Bushido not even out yet? They JUST got their first player model in, didn't they? The Archer.

Yeah, i don't think it's out yet. Looks like its coming along nicely though.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/bushido-medieval-warfare

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
The other day I found out that you can one hand the Longsword, SoW, and Messer by hitting 1 with a shield equipped.

I've also found that jumping off high ledges to obliterate people below you is hilarious. Stoneshill and Dark Forest are great for this. :v:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Robot Randy posted:

I've also found that jumping off high ledges to obliterate people below you is hilarious. Stoneshill and Dark Forest are great for this. :v:

In one game on Citadel, before the last patch, I was playing Agatha. On the first part I was running to the right side hole on the wall, there was a Mason Knight with a maul waiting at the top of the wall. He dropped down and smashed my head with an overhead.

It is the coolest way I've died in this game so far.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Recently I played with a goon going by Ramses Luther Smuckles and it made me realize that this could easily become the Great Outdoor Fight. I need a 64 person, fist-only server for ffa/last man standing. And if it doesn't exist, I want to know how much it would cost.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

How in fucks name is someone supposed be good at archery without some kind of hack? I just tried my hand at it for about an hour and a half and got 1 kill. none of the 4 initial bows do enough damage unless you headshot, and that is a manner of luck. I can't get them to hit people that are standing still, much less people that are moving. I leveled the javelins in like 3 hours, just getting the second bow and crossbow took me about 4-5 hours, and getting anywhere further is just agonizing.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
The key is putting as many projectiles downfield as possible in the shortest amount of time. So use the sling :madmax:

I don't know if they buffed the quarterstaff or what, but holy poo poo does it own hard. Sidestepping every swing from a Vanguard or Knight while you wreck them is extremely satisfying. Is seems the alt horizontal comes out really quickly, so I've been using that to tag people as I circle around them and run past. :snoop:

Robot Randy fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 15, 2013

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I just treated Archer as if I had shotguns. Get right up next to people so that you can't miss.

Beyond that, good luck. An archer out past like 20 meters is about as good to the team as someone who's AFK unless they're ridiculously good.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Archery feels pretty clunky in this game, but there is an element of skill to it that you'll pick up as you play it more. It takes a while, for certain. It does depend on some manner of luck on the longer shots, as you not only have to line up a good shot that properly leads your target, but they also have to not significantly (read, one step in the wrong direction) deviate from the path you expect them to take, due to the crap hitboxes and slow projectile speed.

Every once in a while playing Archer you'll enter rear end in a top hat Zen and just start tagging people across the map constantly, which almost makes it worth it to play the most annoying class.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Archery is fun because there is that achievement to shoot the short bow 10,000 times, and I bet it doesn't even work like half the other achievements.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Archery is fantastic to be decent at because the amount of people bitching about archery in one form or another will never stop. If I'm using a bow and I miss, I'm "useless", if I'm using a bow and I hit you I'm "hacking".

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Babe Magnet posted:

Archery is fantastic to be decent at because the amount of people bitching about archery in one form or another will never stop. If I'm using a bow and I miss, I'm "useless", if I'm using a bow and I hit you I'm "hacking".

I've literally never seen anyone complain that an archer is hacking or too good. I have, however, seen at least one person on approximately 50% or more of every server I've been on complain at being hit by their own archers too many times. I've also been that person, except I usually do something about it when an archer loving sucks, and will tell them that if they don't change classes that I'm going to loving kill them. Then they usually ignore me and keep pegging teammates in the back because they are awful and don't understand anything at all about friendly fire or proper support fire, so I just murder them until they quit.

I need a killallarchers.jpg

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
My favourite are archers who sit around "sniping" on that wooden log barricade thing that Mason spawns behind on the trebuchet TO map, because I can kick them off into the sea below.
The best one was this one guy who wised up after a couple kicks, so he stood in the middle of the thing instead of on the edge. Subsequently he got ganged up on by me and two other dudes and chain-kicked into the sea. I'm pretty sure he quit after that.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I just bought this game. Is there a preferred game-mode to play when you're just starting out? I did the basic and advanced combat training, then I hopped on a free-for-all server. It didn't go well :)
There were too many dudes slashing me at the same time. I did stab some people, and even managed to take someone out with a throwing axe, so I felt pretty bad rear end.

EDIT: also, how well would a controller work for this game?

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 17, 2013

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

beedeebee posted:

I just bought this game. Is there a preferred game-mode to play when you're just starting out? I did the basic and advanced combat training, then I hopped on a free-for-all server. It didn't go well :)
There were too many dudes slashing me at the same time. I did stab some people, and even managed to take someone out with a throwing axe, so I felt pretty bad rear end.

Free for all is retarded in this game. It's basically a bunch of vanguards mashing LMB and getting vulture kills with their 360 degree angle of attack. Team objective is where the game shines, while capture the flag, team deathmatch, and last team standing (counterstrike) are fun occasionally.

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004
First check out the two tutorial videos in the OP. It might take a while before you can fully appreciate it, but they give some very good tips. I think team objective is the best mode to start with. FFA is usually a crapshoot. Its very good for unlocking weapons, but unless someone quite skilled show up its usually just whoever gets the most double kills by interfering with fights wins. Try out TO until you get a better idea of how the game works then try duel mode occasionally to hone your skills. The things to focus on in TO are positioning, movement and when to attack. If your allies are close, try to focus on thrusts or overhead chops. If 2 or more of your allies are attacking someone, find a different target. Slashing with a large weapon when your allies are close will usually just hit them and piss them off. Eventually you'll have a good feel of when to use each attack, when to be aggressive and when being defensive is better.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
These two dingbats before me forgot the most important piece of advice: always be mashing c while sprinting, and at all other times you should be spamming x-x-2/3.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Plus, you die a lot in the game, especially at the start. Just roll with it, and try to attack either isolated enemies or in mob vs. mob combat (using pokes or overheads, don't horizontal swing. FF is always on)

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Node posted:

Free for all is retarded in this game. It's basically a bunch of vanguards mashing LMB and getting vulture kills with their 360 degree angle of attack. Team objective is where the game shines, while capture the flag, team deathmatch, and last team standing (counterstrike) are fun occasionally.

Free for all is great for loving around, especially since there's an inordinate amount of people who take FFA very, very seriously. There's nothing quite like punching a Zweïhander Vanguard to death while he whines incessantly in chat about how fists are OP.

I also got banned from a 24/7 Tavern server ( the fist-only FFA map ) for punching somebody outside the designated punching zone.

EDIT: Actually let me elaborate a bit. The Tavern map has a basement with a boxing ring in it, so it's often used for punching duels. It's generally accepted that boxing matches should be left alone, and that it's very annoying to kill someone who's just watching the fight.

What happened though is that a few players decided they were the champions of justice and virtue. They switched to Knight, and then guarded the entrance to the boxing ring, only letting people who bow to pass, to prove your e-honor or something. I wasn't about to cause trouble in the ring, but these guys were just way too fun to mess with.

I'd go down there, bow, walk pass them, then punch one in the back of the head. They would immediately abandon their post and chase me around the boxing ring while I dodged them, laughing, until they cornered me and I died. I would do this over and over again, and they fell for it every single time. I was votekicked several times.

Then a few admins came on, and one of them decided to flip the rules around. Nobody could fight unless they were in the tiny boxing ring, but you could punch anyone that was in. I thought this was dumb as hell. I punched the admin and got banned.

Elth fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 17, 2013

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Node posted:

Free-for-all can be fun, for the precise reason that it IS just a retarded shitfest. Not for extended periods of time, though.
Also, Last Team Standing is horseshit because if you die early you're stuck for several minutes waiting for the round to finish, while you spectate the last two archers having a sick sniper duel across the map.
I'd say that for a new player, just get into TO or if you REALLY want something simpler to start with, go Team Deathmatch instead of LTS.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Plus, you die a lot in the game, especially at the start. Just roll with it, and try to attack either isolated enemies or in mob vs. mob combat (using pokes or overheads, don't horizontal swing. FF is always on)

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Yeah, I died a lot. Watched those video's in the OP, and while I understand the mechanics and what they're saying, I find it really hard to use in game. I guess practice makes perfect, because now I can hit someone, but my blocking is awful and I miss a ton :)
It's fun though.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I feel like I've learned a lot about mechanics from dueling people.

The FFA servers labeled as duel are my favorite so far. They tend to have a small community, and when one duelist gets an arrow in the back from an archer, the whole server drops everything and hunts the offender down all the while screaming kill the archer.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax

Elth posted:

I'd go down there, bow, walk pass them, then punch one in the back of the head. They would immediately abandon their post and chase me around the boxing ring while I dodged them, laughing, until they cornered me and I died. I would do this over and over again, and they fell for it every single time. I was votekicked several times.

Was this you? It sounds like the server I was on the other day, with two guys acting as bouncers for the fight club. It was my first time trying out the tavern map and someone was indeed taking issue to the fights not being conducted properly. Wanted 1v1s in the ring when everyone was more interested in 3v3s, Battle Royals and kick-only matches.

e: drat that's one bad quality video

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Boogalo posted:

I feel like I've learned a lot about mechanics from dueling people.

The FFA servers labeled as duel are my favorite so far. They tend to have a small community, and when one duelist gets an arrow in the back from an archer, the whole server drops everything and hunts the offender down all the while screaming kill the archer.

Best thing for the archer here is to kill himself right away and respawn as another class. Then, as along as people are stupid which they are more often then not, they will all hunt for the non-existent archer. That makes for a successful troll usually.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Cass posted:

Was this you? It sounds like the server I was on the other day, with two guys acting as bouncers for the fight club. It was my first time trying out the tavern map and someone was indeed taking issue to the fights not being conducted properly. Wanted 1v1s in the ring when everyone was more interested in 3v3s, Battle Royals and kick-only matches.

e: drat that's one bad quality video

It's not me, but I was doing pretty much the exact same thing. The name of the server was "Daddy Cool" and my name at the time was "Legalize Gay Weed Marriage".

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
The ring has a bell? Who knew.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You know, every time I play this game I can only marvel at just how rough around the edges the hit detection in melee is. I can see why Slappy Moose is such an angry, angry Scotsman.

I mean, I certainly don't remember Jedi Outcast/Academy having weird hit detection bugs when you got up in someone's face with a lightsaber, and that came out... what, ten years ago?

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
I played more Jedi Outcast/Academy duels than I care to admit to. I can attest to some real bullshit in that game. Plus, if so inclined, you could spin like a jackass and instagib someone.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Hilarion posted:

I played more Jedi Outcast/Academy duels than I care to admit to. I can attest to some real bullshit in that game. Plus, if so inclined, you could spin like a jackass and instagib someone.

So how is this any different? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
No, not spin like vanguards in this game spin. I mean spin like a speedballing ballerina with a lightstick spin.

• Locked thread