Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm just annoyed at how badly Tokoha's being treated at this point. The Miguel thing is stupid, she's lost to loving Taiyou of all people, now she gets beaten to make an example out of her despite the whole Miguel thing which you'd think would get her a win, and I wouldn't be that mad at it but it's pretty obvious Satorunrun is not going to win next episode, so there's Team Jaime Flowers, the main characters who got knocked out of the tournament when there's exactly four slots for winners, just as many as protagonist teams!

I guess the fourth is just going to some no-name team, better that than having one of the three protagonists of the series, huh. gently caress. Am I watching Asia Circuit or Legion Mate again here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The fourth team could be Rummy Labyrinth With Third Wheel. I mean Saya. Or Onimaru could throw the fight while thinking "hey this guy has potential, Kagero Dude can cover it so I'll throw this fight."

That or it'll be another no-name team so someone can just get mooked in the last fight and they don't have to continue, because is there any doubt that the final match is going to come down to Chrono beating Onimaru?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Part of me really hopes that it'll be Kazumi vs Onimaru considering their shared backstory, but it'll probably be Protagonist vs Big Bad, even if that's far more boring and undeserved.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Well, see, on the one hand, that'd be cool and appropriate, so the final fight should be Kazuma versus the estranged brother(?) that caused him to have the "things look dicey, better run away" reaction that had to be slapped out of him. On the other hand, while the writers have gotten better about endlessly burnishing Chrono's plot dong, they haven't stopped yet, so there you go.

Also I have the feeling that Rummy Labyrinth Also Some Tagalong is going to be Team #4, and I base this on the release schedule. See, Jaime Flowers got knocked out because Neo Nectar had the Try 3 set, and Oracle Think Tank had the Trinity Dragon set, so Tokoha and Kumi aren't required anymore. However, the Rummy Labyrinth Character Booster came out recently, so the Plot Idols are going to get some camera time to show off the new cards. G Booster 11 is Royal Paladin (Aichi), Genesis (Diffrider's Model), Kagero (the Perfect Guard guy), Nubatama (the boss), Dark Irregulars (Enishi), and Gear Chronicle (Captain Plotcock). But the set after that? Bermuda Triangle, which is also getting a trial deck. Now, they've pulled characters out of their rear end for a single episode before -- that's how we got Saya in the first place in season 5, and Saya's two friends in season 6 -- but at this point, I don't think they're going to go "okay and now for an intermission in the big tournament for a one-off character voiced by a big pop star who plays the thing we're trying to shill." They'll do that with Daigo, sure, but that's it. So I suspect that Saya's going to do something and when she does, cards from the new trial deck and booster set will be a big part of it.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Enishi should've taken one of the Dominate-based attacks earlier. If he had, he could've used that extra 5k to stop the vanguard attack. Of course, if he weren't wasting time with draws, he would've won with that unguarded attack. I just think it's kind of funny because they never show "oh, I got a draw trigger and it got me a Perfect Guard" or "because I damage checked a Draw last turn I can stride this turn" or anything. It's always "if this were a crit instead of a draw, the game would be over."

Hopefully they put Tokoha to good use back in France investigating what the gently caress Miguel's deal was, but that would require them to call off the flying butts, so that isn't going to happen. Or at least not competently.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MechaCrash posted:

Hopefully they put Tokoha to good use back in France investigating what the gently caress Miguel's deal was, but that would require them to call off the flying butts, so that isn't going to happen. Or at least not competently.

It isn't going to happen because Tokoha won't travel, Jaime will.

Also Dominate is a pretty cool ability and it's good we got more personality out of Onimaru, but I'm still mad Tokoha's team got knocked out of the tournament immediately, with four slots for the next round. It doesn't seem Team Rummy Labyrinth With Saya will take the next spot either, since both Am and Luna got beaten this episode too. Maybe the series is just building up to two teams surviving and we're going straight into the finals, I don't know. Or maybe everyone will lose, since Chrono is facing Saori next episode, although he'll probably win that one. Whatever, I'm mad about the terrible treatment to the one protagonist in G in I genuinely liked from the beginning.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

There was an episode, Chrono's plot armor was polished, whatever.

I like the new Gear Chronicle stride, but I wonder what the costs and conditions are. GB3 for "show top four, any grades shown can't be used to guard, get an extra drive check if you see a 3 as a consolation prize" is pretty nice. But it does make me wonder: if you revealed a grade 4, could you G-Guard it? I'm guessing yes, unless the card specifically states "can't be called to guard from hand."

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MechaCrash posted:

There was an episode, Chrono's plot armor was polished, whatever.

My feelings exactly. I'm sure there was something there I should've cared about but I did not find it.

Next episode looks more interesting though, I didn't expect we'd get Onimaru and Kazuma fighting this early.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

God dammit, Kazuma, get rid of those loving Howl Owls, they cost you the god drat game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That fight ended as expected but goddamn was it heartbreaking to see Kazuma get beaten up by his own units. Shiranui is a jerk and Chrono should've let him get punched, he was asking for it.

Also Shiranui/Chrono next ep, far earlier than expected too. There's nothing on the line since the tournament fights ended with that one, but it should be interesting to see where it goes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That bit with Chrono Dran trying really hard to stop himself from hurting Chronojet Dragon, and then the latter holding him high so he wouldn't get stabbed by Mujinlord was the saddest thing. Dominate sure feels like a very evil ability...and Shiranui himself would probably agree, now that we know what Team Diffrider is aiming for.

It's a pretty understandable goal, as Shiranui explains it...even if it heavily contradicts the first season, but then again, it's not like anyone remembers PSYqualia happened. Apparently now everyone can manipulate Cray's fate. Must suck to live there, when everything depends on children playing card games. I don't think I can disagree on deleting a card game so a world can be free, although eliminating anyone's ability to imagine is a bit too extreme.

Also Kazuma is broken again and that's sad. I hope he gets over it. Probably around the time Shion gets kicked out of the tournament, seeing how next ep is setting up Verno destroying Hayao, which will no doubt lead Shion to fight her or another and get beaten too.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Saya's going to get eliminated too.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

So hey, it's been a while, but I was busy with E3, and also the Final Fantasy 14 expansion just hit, and also I was getting tired of the return of polishing Chrono's plot armor.

The Hayao/Verno fight was pretty cool. Shion running draws is bad enough, running draws in a deck that benefits from having fewer cards in hand is incredibly dumb, also it was a foregone conclusion that Chrono wouldn't lose and get his team eliminated. The antics this week were pretty top quality, but next week is going to be the last shot of the Plot Idols before they unfuck the problem where the obvious fourth team for the finals got eliminated early for cheap heat.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ibuki and Mamoru are way too shippable. This episode felt like it was pure Ibuki/Mamoru (that probably has a name) shipping fuel, even with the Rin parts.

I'm sure something else was in the episode but I could only pay attention to how incredibly shippable that pair is.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
How are the Vanguard series after vanilla? I'm really interested in the lore and game world so I'm hoping it gets more time in the spotlight. I wish they would just set a whole story there.

Also what other card game anime on Crunchyroll are must-watches? I have Buddy Fight in my q but I'm not sure about checking out any of the Yugioh series. Are they fun to watch if I don't really like the card game?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Getsuya posted:

How are the Vanguard series after vanilla? I'm really interested in the lore and game world so I'm hoping it gets more time in the spotlight. I wish they would just set a whole story there.

Also what other card game anime on Crunchyroll are must-watches? I have Buddy Fight in my q but I'm not sure about checking out any of the Yugioh series. Are they fun to watch if I don't really like the card game?

Asia Circuit gets pretty bad but it's somewhat tolerable. Link Joker is easily the best part of the franchise. Legion Mate is very poorly-paced but has really neat antagonists. G is awful at first but gets better, if a bit too late to matter. GIRS Crisis and Stride Gate are much better than G and very fun. NEXT is...I can't say I'm enjoying it a lot, it isn't bad, but it feels by the numbers mostly, except for few good scenes. The characters are good though, but the whole thing feels "okay" at best.

I don't really watch card game anime beyond YGO and Vanguard so I can't say anything about the rest, though Buddyfight looks pretty bad. I'm not sure if you could get into YGO without liking the card game either, especially since the series tend to either start good and end bad or start bad and end good, with none of them being good the whole way through.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

To exapnd on the "G starts awful but gets better" thing, skip right to episode 25. You aren't missing much of import and get right to the introduction of Kanzaki, who is loving awesome.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

And to put a little emphasis on the Kanzaki part: PLEASE DON'T WATCH THE DUB.

Seriously though, Vanguard is good and entertaining for what it is. But yeah, the first season is a fairly simple growth story that happens to involve Card Games and a little twinge of special abilities (PSYQUALIA). Everything after the first season, and Pre-G goes more in on that aspect. But in the long run, the planet Cray becomes a very important thing throughout the whole series.

Asia Circuit is the lowest point that isn't the start of Vanguard G, Link Joker is great, and Legion Mate is fine. It suffers from the fact that the heroes can't really win regularly against their opponents for plot reasons, and it gets old FAST. But it isn't quite enough to make it outright bad.

G starts...well, the others here can comment on the early parts of Vanguard G more than I can since I took the advice of skipping to Kanzaki's introduction, and things started getting better from there. And again, don't watch the dub.

GIRS Crisis/Stride Gate had its moments, and also had one character that...well...if you keep watching Vanguard and get to this point, I think you'll have a feeling who I'm talking about.

NEXT has pretty much very standard outside of the origin of the "villains" for this arc. Considering how we're pretty much at the endgame of the current storyline, it really does seem like it's just another case of the seeds being planted for the REAL major arc with the next season.

(Spoiler'd "speculation" for Getsuya's sake)

After all, we're going to be at the start of the U20 Finals in about 3-4 weeks (Team Jaime Flowers will take two weeks obviously, and maybe there will be an episode before the obvious Striders vs Diffrider fights), and we still have no idea what's going on with the search for Noa/Chaos Breaker Dragon. That's totally going to be the major plot point for next season. He's probably been going around forcefully overriding Link Joker players with their key units to "revive" an evil Link Joker army from dormancy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I haven't posted in a while because NEXT is kind of standard though not bad, but man, Chrono vs Tokoha was a fun fight. Much like the Chrono vs Shion fight early, it shows how well these three work together by this point, and just seeing them so excited clashing against each other was very nice. Too bad Tokoha didn't win, but we need to move the plot, and she still got to be Tokoha even if Miguel is still there, so I'll accept it.

Tokoha still brings the best songs in the OST with her too.

But who cares, next ep is a Kanzaki ep and that's what truly, really matters. It should bring MechaCrash back to posting too.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

gently caress, they're bringing Kanzaki back? I need to get caught up.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MechaCrash posted:

gently caress, they're bringing Kanzaki back? I need to get caught up.

To prepare to fight Team Diffrider, Kazuma is fighting Kanzaki.

Shadow Paladin vs Shadow Paladin, sounds like your kind of episode.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The last episode I watched was the Beach Episode, which I already posted about, so I'm just going to post condensed thoughts for the ones in between because this is going to get long enough when I do the semi-liveblog thing for SHADOWS VERSUS SHADOWS. Which I don't think we've ever seen before!

Episode 39 posted:

Jaime Flowers is obviously going to win because they're main characters, Rummy Labyrinth + Obvious Third Wheel is not.

Tokoha giving the dude in the bug costume a loving flying kick to the face was awesome. Has Tokoha's fire just been in hiding? I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Saya is still annoying. I like Lauris-based Harmony decks, and I get why they made Saya, but drat.

Kumi stiffening her backbone is nice. I don't know if her deck is using any of the new Battle Sister stuff, because "oh hey Battle Sisters are bad even for Oracle Think Tank" is something that got noticed. How that's going to shake out remains to be seen.

Tokoha being so hung up on Miguel is already annoying me, but the badassery of Tokoha's units chain-Blooming and getting loving huge is undercut by Saya's cutesy noises.

We didn't even get to see much of the other fights, but I guess that's because they already did their shilling for the Rummy Labyrinth set, whereas they had to do something to flog the new Bermuda set.

Episode 40 posted:

This is just a recap episode, whatever.

Episode 41 posted:

It's obvious Team Diffrider's going to win, because the finale has to be Striders versus Diffrider, and the only way for that to happen is for Diffrider to beat Fukuhara, and Striders to beat Jaime Flowers.

It was a tossup if Rin or Verno would take it, but it was obvious that it'd come down to Shion fighting Onimaru. I wasn't expecting it to do a psuedo-cliffhanger, but it's obvious that Saori heals out from under it so that Onimaru and Shion can have the fight being shown in previews.

Episode 42 posted:

Oh, they faked us out with Saori using a perfect guard. That works too! (Especially when you remember that the Cray unit Diffriding Saori is Dumjid, the PG he uses.)

The new Shiranui stride is loving dangerous. Extra drive checks and a field wipe? Hot drat.

Episode 43 posted:

Well, may as well have the Team Loads face each other first, and since they gotta have captain facing captain, that means that it's going to be the Grim Broody Guys facing each other.

Interesting that they're trying to make Kumi a threat, and with the new Battle Sister support she probably could be, but I guess they had to give her a triple critical to speed things along without making it look like a total curbstomp.

I see they're still doing the "oh no the Gold Paladin player has no rear guards, what a problem" thing. Like, gently caress guys, it's Gold Paladin, they don't give a poo poo about having an empty field.

Looks like seeing Kazuma is making the real Onimaru start to surface, too. The way they're breaking up the fights like this is a little annoying, though.

Episode 44 posted:

The problem with structuring the show as "best of three fights done individually" is that you know someone has to lose, or you don't get all three. Of course, doing them all at once usually means someone gets neglected, or they bounce between the fights a bunch.

Tokoha might've been able to win it, but she dropped her bomb too early, so Chrono could just take one of the hits and survive. If she hadn't gotten that critical, he could've taken two and been fine.

I will post this now and give the semiliveblog its own post.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I didn't expect opinions on all the episodes, that's pretty impressive. Most importantly though, the latest ep, and goddamn it was good, despite being very clearly a budget episode with a very short fight and awful art.

Kanzaki is still the best, unsurprisingly. That he's back in full-force is great, and how he's clearly softened but still is a massive ham in pursue of strength is awesome. Him just loving rejecting Diffriding by sheer willpower alone, no superhuman abilities required, was basically the best part of the entire season. No one decides his Vanguard, not even his other self!

Kazuma properly learning his lesson and growing as a person was very nice too. It annoys me that I know fully well it'll go nowhere because it'd require Kazuma to face Onimaru, when Chrono will do that because he's still the protagonist, but I'm still enjoying his character arc. Shadow Paladin users still are great.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Okay! It's a couple of days late but I'm going to do this thing, because Kanzaki is awesome. I might've been able to skip right to it but I'd rather not. Also, I would've missed Tokoha kicking a dude in the face.

00:20: Kazuma has a point. There really is a feeling you get when you're outclassed.

02:44: "Amazing Shadow Paladin user" is selling him way short, kid. :colbert:

03:40: Good to see Chrono still getting the respect he's due!

04:00: YES, HERE HE IS, THE MAN OF THE loving HOUR

04:30: Well, Chrono does know how to cook...

04:50: And it pays off!

06:35: Chrono just has zero sense of the dramatic. Kanzaki's gotta chew that scenery. He's a Shadow Paladin guy, it's in the contract that you've got to ham it up whenever possible. There's a little slip of paper in the starter deck with instructions.

07:20: Tigresse has 4k power. It had better do something loving amazing to justify itself.

07:44: YES

08:12: NEW CLARET, I GOT A DECK TO MODIFY but wait how hard did he rush the poo poo out of Kazuma that he's already at four and Kanzaki is just now getting to grade 3?

08:35: I've been leaning on my Claret deck a little more lately. This is going to make me use it even more, I suspect.

09:20: Chrono is mostly right here, but the details matter, because Helheim can put the screws to you no matter what. If you guard with the big stuff or take the hit, the Shadow Paladin player gets their cards. If you guard normally from your hand, the Shadow Paladin player doesn't get any G1s, but look at all the cards that got used up in the process!

10:00: Oh hey, that's an important point: if the opponent uses one of the big guard cards, then the Shadow Paladin player gets their G1 before drive checks. So the triggers can be put on that. (You do have Night Sky Eagle in the deck, right?)

11:00: EVERYBODY TRAINS, STRINGBEANS

12:25: I wonder if I could get that as my ringtone or something...

14:40: Link Joker, despite being an incredibly dangerous foe for Shadow Paladins, has a very poor track record in this show. Kanzaki's got this.

16:00: gently caress YES, THIS IS THE poo poo. THIS IS MY JAM. If anybody could just shake this poo poo off, it's Kanzaki.

17:25: "It's not time to fight you yet. Link Joker isn't in the set we're pushing. Give it a month until your new trial deck comes out, then we can throw down."

18:30: Yeah, being naturally gifted but always second best really sucks.

20:50: Are they actually going to let Kazuma have the final showdown? That'd be pretty rad.

22:00: They're gonna come back at some point once they can afford to hire Koyasu Takehito again.

So while I liked this episode on balance, the fight was kind of underwhelming, because it just showed Kazumi getting rolled in the last turn. I'm still not sure what Kanzaki did to get him to four that fast, but it would've been nice seeing it. Oh well, more Claret support in set 12 so I'll take it. If nothing else, it gave us Kanzaki throwing off the Different World Ride through sheer willpower, which was super awesome.

I'm not sure why they're going to have Tokoha and Verno throw down next week. More Neo Nectar stuff they didn't get to show off? Or maybe they need a little more time before the big confrontation (and time for Onimaru's cards to come out).

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Man, Bushiroad really loves their two season story arcs now, don't they.

I'll admit that I let out an audible YEAH! when Kanzaki basically outright denied the Different World Ride through sheer will alone. He really is the best thing to come out of G.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Oh sure, now that it doesn't matter Tokoha can get her six digit rearguard columns. :colbert:

Interesting that Verno/Amaruda didn't know who was tooling around in Onimaru and Saori's bodies, or that Onimaru was hijacked. Which makes me wonder, did Saori agree to let Dumjid in, or is that another bodyjacking?

Apparently you can only lose so many fights before you're kicked back to Cray. So I guess Amaruda's going to be kicked out of Verno soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This last part of the tournament is horribly predictable but it still gives some nice, if wordy, fights.

I wish Amaruda had gotten to win at least one fight here before getting kicked back to Cray, but at least her last moment with Verno was cute. I'm glad that we're shown at least one person that genuinely Diffrided because she wanted to and is happy with the results, Dumjid/Saori's situation is unclear and the other two are forced Diffrides.

Kazuma vs Saori got a bit too wordy for my taste (yes, we get it, friends are cool, shut up and play your cards) but Dragstrider, Luard was neat as was Dumjid just completely freaking out about losing.

And next is the brothers fight that, sadly, has to end in Kazuma's loss thus making this kind of entirely pointless. I don't even mind Chrono at this point but it's really dumb that he'll get the last shot here.

• Locked thread