Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

There was an episode last week (Enishi's Dark Irregulars versus Kamui's Nova Grapplers, Enishi won) and nobody cared, I guess.

I quite liked this week. I like how even though she's joined a Protagonist Team, Rin is still gonna Rin. :allears:

As for the actual fight, while I am still quite fond of critical triggers, the fact that Angel Feather can swing for huge and get even more drive checks are a good argument for stands in that deck. After all, the only thing better than "I swing for 44k, and thanks to Rescue I get a sorta drive check" is "oh look a stand, now I swing for 49k and get another sorta drive check."

Team Shin Nippon is also great. I'd say "I hope we get to see more of them" but I doubt they're going to spend this much time on them and then discard them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm happy for Shion and Hayao, being Rin's slaves is the greatest of accomplishments and I wish them luck in their future endeavours under the Queen.

Team Shin Nippon is also great and I'm not sure why I doubted they would be before. I wonder just how heartbroken Makoto will be once he realizes that Shin is not travelling around the world and just owns a card shop though.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Am and Luna having a moment when third wheel Saya crashed in was cute. :3:

As for the actual fight, I rather liked it, and showed that just because you have a way to throw a roadblock in front of your opponent's major trick -- in this case, Narukami binding poo poo so that Granblue couldn't reanimate it -- it doesn't mean you can have an easy win. Hayao got an early edge because he could lean on Am's drop zone to bind her poo poo, but obviously it wasn't enough, because Granblue can mill itself hard and then oh look they have a drop zone to use.

I think Am did have one fuckup, though, towards the end: when Hayao started swinging, Am had four cards in the bind. Taking the hit from Chatura meant that she had five, and so VMAX's "if the opponent's field is empty, they take a damage" skill kicked in. If she'd blocked that, then she wouldn't have had to worry as much about VMAX itself, because VMAX's two threats are "punch multiple things on your field," which wasn't a concern since even if she had poo poo to punch she's Granblue and can bring it back, and "take a damage no matter what if you have an empty field and opponent is at GB3, Thunderstrike 5," which wouldn't have been a concern if she stopped Chatura because Hayao would've only been at Thunderstrike 4. She could have then taken the Vanguard attack with few worries (Hayao would need two crits to win), and then guarded Jaggy Shot or not, since "on hit, CB1 to kill something in the front row" is not much of a threat against Granblue at the best of times.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I just wish they'd kiss or something at this point, really. Being very blatantly lesbians but without taking that last step and just leaving them at a clearly fake "very good friends" is really annoying.

Seriously, you used these two for your Valentine's Day tweet last year, Bushiroad. You clearly can't fool anyone, nor do you want to, so why?

Also I want one of those keychains. They're super cute!

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

To be fair, the only explicitly romantic thing they ever acknowledged was Kamui's love triangle, which is played for comedy. It's not the kind of genre that ever really gets into that, even though Aichi's crush on Kai was a major driver of the first season's plot.

They did try walking back last year's tweet with "Valentine's is for friends too" which was bought by nobody, but y'know.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

In this episode, we learn the true power of love: unlimited, constant Critical Triggers. Chrono had no chance. No one would have any chance against the true power of love. Nagisa is too powerful.

Also Kazuma realizes that idols are cool and has now gone one step forward into the inevitable descent into otakudom. Soon we'll see him talk about his waifus.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

That Quad Critical, and Chrono's reaction to it, was honestly the best part of the episode. That said, it'll be interesting to actually see Onimaru vs Ibuki happen. Finally going to get some inkling of what the hell is even going on this season...or none. Either could happen.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

That wasn't a quadruple critical. It was a quintuple critical. (Assuming Nagisa wasn't cheating; she didn't even show the card. :ssh:)

I was pretty happy to see that Nagisa is going for a double break ride situation here. It's not the Blau deck I'd use, since I'm sticking with the ride chain into crossride, but Sonne can make some devastating use of pairing the two break rides, as seen here.

But that was just a sideshow, amazing though it was. The main event was Kazuma getting his cool guy exterior cracked by how infectiously bubbly Luna is, to the point it threw him off enough that he took a hit he could've stopped with a trigger. Now, "take a hit you can otherwise easily guard" is not necessarily a mistake, because sometimes you need to take a hit to have the counterblast to pull off a cool play. In this case, though, I think he should've stopped the hit.

Speaking of hits, I was super happy to see Kazuma actually think about the fact that Luna runs a bunch of stands, so she'd probably not hit a critical, so he could risk letting her vanguard hit. It's nice to see them actually analyzing stuff like this. It's not necessarily super deep, but it's enough to get the point across that you have to pay attention to what's coming your way.

I did notice that he's running Sharp Fang Witch, Fodla for some reason. I can sort of understand why, if he'd want to get out plenty of stuff to feed to Ogma or whatever, but ultimately I think it's a bum deal. If you want to get stuff out, I'd go with the original Badbh Caar, because that superior calls from the top of the deck. It might get you something useful, it might not, but it takes no counterblast in a deck that already wants a ton of it.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Well, not a lot to say about this week's fight, given that it ended just as Onimaru got the first stride, blueballing us.

Something that I have kind of mixed feelings on is the way his guarding was depicted. Yeah, it was cool and all, but the way the guardian hit away the attacker felt like it was muddying the metaphor a little bit, in that it wasn't a "back the gently caress off" strike but a "knock you the gently caress down" strike. Which, yes, is reading entirely too much into the way it was animated, but still.

Anyway, as for the plot, it looks like someone reversed the polarity on Psyqualia. Or cranked it up? I'm fuzzy on how it works, they haven't given a poo poo about that particular plot point in like five seasons. The fact that it's Chaos Breaker Dragon of all things does not bode well. But it makes me wonder how the hell a Star-Vader player beat a Messiah player. The major thing for Chaos Breaker decks is locking all of the other guy's poo poo, and unlocking is a major mechanic for Messiahs.

Next week is Tokoha/Rin, both clans capable of going "my rearguard swings for huge" via different methods. But that's not why I want to see the fight. Tokoha and Rin have some history.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Giving a body in Earth to Chaos Breaker Dragon, well known as kind of really loving evil, can't ever be a good thing. Poor Noa too, I'll miss him now that he's been possessed by evil.

We finally got a reason to believe Onimaru is evil here instead of a super-powerful guy with a weird ability. So he's making other people get possessed by their Avatars in a weird reverse PSYqualia situation. I wonder what makes people worthy of his thing, he says that they have to listen to the voice of their avatars, but apparently Chrono is not yet in his level despite the whole Peacemaker thing and how he's literally talked to Chrono Dran several times. The PSYqualia users seem like they should be very much like he wants them too, but his Link Joker user is not Ibuki but Noa.

The whole dialogue between Ibuki and Onimaru this episode was really good too. They kept calm but blatantly hinting at how they really don't agree with each other's ideology. Chrono, meanwhile, missed this entirely. Good job.

I wonder if all of Team Shin Nippon will end up the same way. At the very least, Noa should probably rejoin them for the Second Stage.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

I hate Onimaru.

Actually, scratch that.

I hate Onimaru's avatar.

The moment he started making heavy use of the term world during the Ibuki fight, I was pretty much 100% certain that it was some whole Emissary of Cray deal, but the truth is pretty much worse.

Let's face it. The Cross Dimension Ride he literally forced upon Noa is essentially a giant Yakov Smirnoff joke. And not in a good way. He is literally forcing the unit to completely override you. The complete inverse of the lore behind the game. We being spectral forms that ride the Units to take form on Cray. Now, we become the vessels the Units will either share, or claim as their own, to take form on Earth. To what end though, is unknown. But considering Chaos Breaker Dragon was given a vessel, it doesn't seem good at all.

I'd guess either claiming Earth for the dwellers of Cray, or an attempt to completely revive Link Joker's original nature.

Also, while it's likely that Onimaru may still be interested in Chrono, it'd only be if he can mold him to whatever his master's true goal is. That said, considering Chrono's Peacemaker connection to Gear Chronicle, and especially Chrono Dran, that probably wouldn't end up working for Onimaru.

I honestly would not be surprised if he was also somehow involved with Miguel's death behind the scenes. Either because Miguel wasn't going to be of use to or go along with his true plans, or he would/could be considered a risk/threat to these potential plans.

And now we also have an inkling of what the deal was with the image that Miguel kinda forced upon Tokoha way back when. That was essentially an imprinting of Antelo, the literal unit, being there to watch over, and protect Ahsha, quite literally. Likely, as Emissaries as opposed to vessels. Where, if he didn't die, and got to know Tokoha more, he may have attempted to do what Onimaru did to Noa with Tokoha. But potentially in a way where the unit and fighter would coexist. As opposed to the complete override we saw with Noa.

That complete override is why I went against saying that I hate Onimaru. Considering Kazuma's past IS with him, we are very likely going to get confirmation of some kind that this literally isn't Onimaru at all by the 2nd Stage's climax. Merely that his body is being used for a sinister unit that seems to still be answering to someone else.

Last thing. Purely theory, but if you think about it, there is a good chance it'll finally happen.

With this override, Link Joker's original pure evil nature has essentially returned after the entire original Link Joker incident and the shattering of the seed in Legion Mate. The moment this gets discovered and it spreads, you know what is going to happen.

Chekhov's Aichi is more than likely going to fire. And considering HIS connection, it's likely that he'll be an Emissary channeling the new evolution of Blaster Blade, or something along those lines. After all, PSYQUALIA.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

There's two things about the Miguel thing, though. One is that both he and Tokoha play Neo Nectar decks. It's easy to forget because Musketeers play so differently from pretty much everything else the clan does, but they're still part of that clan. The other is that "Miguel's death" assumes that he is, in fact, actually dead and nobody's pulling a fast one.

As for Aichi coming back, well, there's a reason it helps to pay attention to upcoming releases.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't think Onimaru is responsible for Miguel's death. He and his team seemed not to know why Miguel had not appeared, considering he was their third and they had to get someone else as a replacement.

That said, can we even talk about Miguel here? It was his body, but the one we saw was not his mind but his Musketeer's, whatever his name was, and he seemed to see Tokoha as Ahsha, following his lore to the letter.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Not directly part of the plot, but I would just like to point out that early in the episode, three or four minutes in, Kumi had four cards in hand (three of them were G3s and thus useless to guard), and Emi had eight, and this is before her drive check. Remember, the big gimmick of Oracle Think Tank is supposed to be "draw lots of cards," and this is what happened, which just highlights why OTT is so bad: their one trick is mediocre and everybody else can do it too and probably better.

I don't know Angel Feather or Bloom-based Neo Nectar decks enough to pick the fight apart, but I did notice a lot of cel-sliding and static shots to help save budget. Now, when the blatant "we are saving budget" shots happened in Attack On Titan, we eventually got to see what they were saving the budget for and poo poo was amazing. I don't know if we're going to get something like that here.

I'm not sure why Rin took that hit from the back row Noel. Sure, there's the fact that her vanguard gets +4k every time she's hit, but that wouldn't reduce how many cards she'd have to use to stop the next two attacks. She could drop a trigger to stop that attack, take one on the chin, and then stop the next. Unless, of course, she didn't have enough and was gambling on a trigger. Without seeing her hand, it's hard to say.

Obviously, all three of the Protagonist Teams are going to make it through this phase, and for maximum dramatic tension it's probably going to be Chrono and company that squeak through and get the last slot, so I'm calling now that Shion's going to win next week.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's good to see Tokoha not suck after a season of Tokoha sucking. It doesn't fix the problems with her (her character arc still is going entirely around a guy she knew for, what, two days?) but at least she got to be cool with her cool music and stupid Bloom numbers.

Rin is great, but Rin is always great. Some of her expressions in this episode wouldn't be out of place for a Yu-Gi-Oh! villain.

Next episode, Paladin vs Paladin. As per usual for a Taiyou episode, I hope he gets owned.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wow, this episode sure didn't have the best animators, there were some pretty blatant mistakes such as Taiyou's G3 Gurguit having a G Unit back and Luminous Hope Dragon having Critical 2 before actually getting the second crit.

I have little to say other than that, I'm glad Taiyou got his rear end kicked but at the same time I still dislike how the series treats him as if he was on the same level as the protagonists.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Well, why not? It treated Chrono as being on the level of world class fighters like Kamui as soon as he got his hands on a deck, and Taiyou went through United Sanctuary's super training in G. Which is not to say that I think he should be on par with everybody else, but at least there's something you can point at and say "yes, this is how he got so drat good." Off screen super training is a hell of a lot better than Chrono's obvious plot armor. Speaking of which, Chrono is obviously going to win next week so he can get into the Under 20, which makes me wonder what they're going to do with Shin Nippon. They aren't going to just throw them away. I'm also curious how they're going to let Chrono wriggle out from under this, because Link Joker's locking fuckery is a pretty harsh counter to the Time Leap fuckery of Chrono's deck. Plus, if Chrono's front row gets stuck with a locked card in it, Crossover Dragon is significantly less dangerous.

One major thing I can't figure out, though, is how Shion strode in his last turn. He had one card in hand, and he superior called it. There's nothing in Knight of Heavenly Decree, Altmile's text to let him stride without paying a cost, nothing in Holy Dragon, Luminous Hope Dragon's text to let him do it via alternate methods, and there's certainly nothing about an upgraded special interceptor to let him do it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It might've been another animation mistake and he actually had a second card in his hand. This episode was not well-animated, as I've pointed out previously.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Yeah, "the animators hosed up" is definitely a possibility I'd considered, but they showed Shion with two cards in hand after guarding Taiyou's first rearguard attack (which he hosed up, I might add; he should've swung with the unboosted guy on the right first unless he was out of stands and knew it, which is possible), and he used them both guarding the second attack.

Taiyou going all in like he did meant that Shion survived thanks to that trigger. I wonder, had he not gone all in, could he have survived? Probably not. Shion wouldn't have had to empty his hand and field to survive, and would've had more to use to swing back.

Speaking of which, I did sigh a bit when Team Jaime Flowers was all "oh no Taiyou's got no field and a small hand." Gosh, Taiyou sure is in a corner, if only there were some way Gold Paladin could recover from not having a field, I mean it's not like pulling a full field out of their rear end is what Gurguit based decks do or anything. :rolleyes:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Chrono versus Noa was a pretty bitchin' fight, and Noa had some pretty good moves there, and played his cards well (pun fully intended). The only bit that was a problem is at the end, when he no guarded the Chronojet G. I don't know what he had in hand, but I'm assuming that it wasn't enough to change the outcome if Chrono got a double critical, which I knew he would, because the plot required him to advance and there wasn't enough time left in the episode for him to win by doing something clever or cool.

But who gives a flying gently caress because next week AICHI IS COMING BACK gently caress YES.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This was a pretty intense fight! I'm kind of sad the end is "Chrono gets lucky", but I can imagine the writers had no idea how to get over that situation other than that luck, and hey, it's not unrealistic. It stings less because Noa lost the fight, sure, but Chaos Breaker Dragon clearly didn't care. It didn't matter to him. He's a chill, evil motherfucker who feeds off despair, why would he care about some tournament?

And yeah, doesn't matter because Aichi's finally getting something more than a cameo! It's probably only to sell his deck, but I really hope he sticks. It'd pretty much be the greatest show of how big of a threat Shiranui is, if we're calling the biggest gun, the greatest fighter, who wasn't even present for the last threat.

We're also getting a new opening next episode and it's good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvK61twxgsU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

He's baaaaack! And this was...a surprisingly poorly animated episode considering how big Aichi's return is. The whole episode is about it! To the point where he doesn't really get any fights but hey, he gets to show he's the nicest guy. And oh yeah, that he's genuinely intense as hell when a fight begins. Good ol' Aichi.

The new opening is great and I love it already. It's blatantly incomplete though, I hope the full version doesn't take long to appear. That said, the shot of Team Q4 but with Ibuki instead of Misaki angered me a bit. Don't remove Misaki, she's cool.

And...apparently Aichi likes subjects far harder than I thought he did. I don't think I would've ever put "astrophysics" as something Aichi would care for. Then again, he does have a connection with another planet, so it makes some degree of sense.

Next episode, Chrono gets owned. Also GB8 sounds very impractical but I don't actually play this game so I have no idea.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Generation Break 8 is a fairy high bar, but it's not impossible to reach. Assuming all of your strides flip something in the G-Zone (which is a high but not unsustainable burn rate), you can get there in four turns. Faster if you use G-Guards, and if you don't it's probably because you can't. My big question is "what the hell does this card do that even begins to justify GB8?" Demiurge had a lot of setup time too, but its payoff was pretty drat big. What kind of payoff will we get for this? But I suspect that the general thrust of the card is going to be "if you somehow managed to use all these Strides without winning, here's a giant nuke to end the game, but only if you run Chronojet because gently caress the entire rest of the clan, ha ha."

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So at the recommendation of a friend i've been binging Vanguard and was seeing opinions about how don't like Link Joker.

Good god i'm only 5 minutes in it's first episode and i'm already feeling the :psyduck:

If Vanguard is such a huge cultural force then why is everybody making fun of Aichi for admitting he plays it? People of all ages seem to play this game and Aichi is the drat world champion at this point! Even if none of these kids play they should at least know who he is?

Granted, he could have answered the teachers question a bit better than "uh, i like card games :bravo:" but then we wouldn't be able to have Aichi essentially start his character arc over again for this new series huh?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Are you watching the sub or the dub? Link Joker is one of the best seasons, but the dub for this show is really bad.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Been watching the dub and honestly i don't mind it. The acting itself isn't the problem for me personally. Am i thinking that it's Asia Circuit that is disliked then? I can see kinda see how that is since other than turning into a high school anime Link Joker is pretty okay so far.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 4, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Link Joker is usually considered one of if not the best arc of the series. The beginning is pretty slow, but once it gets out of the slice-of-life bits and into full-on serious plot it becomes amazing. Even the slice of life parts are funny and cute though, and Naoki is a great addition to the cast (Shingo...is not).

Asia Circuit is the opposite, it's very disliked and not without reason. I'd say it's better than Link Joker's constant blandness and early G's early Gness but that's not a high bar, and G overall ends up being better than it, thus making it still the second-worst arc for me.

Also, I feel the need to point this out, even if there's a lot of people playing Vanguard it doesn't mean it's as important as, say, YGO is in its own worlds. There's one university that gives it as a career, but overall it's still just a game some people play. You can go pro with it, sure, but it isn't the kind of thing a high-level, rich school would probably care about. And it's pretty well-established that Aichi's in a school for smart people (Misaki is there of all people, Morikawa and Izaki can't get in due to their grades, Aichi is shown as pursuing a hard career in university in G NEXT, etc.) so Vanguard being seen as unfitting makes some sense.

It'd take until G for Vanguard to truly take over the world like in a modern YGO series.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 4, 2017

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The quick breakdown on the seasons.

• Season 1, no fancy title: Pretty good! It's the one where it all began. There was no gimmick for the card game because it was still new, unless you count the crossride mechanic, which I don't because it was important at the end but introduced too late to be the season's thing.
  • Season 2, Asia Circuit: Not very well liked because the plot wasn't great, and the fights weren't very good, and the alternative rule episodes were loving awful. I especially hated the team fight episode because the people at my shops kept wanting to do team fights, and the team fight rules are terrible and slow and boring. The gimmick for this season was Limit Break, which let you get special things when you had enough damage, usually four (Limit Break 5 is referred to in show as Ultimate Break).
  • Season 3, Link Joker: Absolutely loving fantastic. It starts off with "Aichi wants to start a cardfight club, the school council tries to sabotage" and ends with "card playing vampire cyber newtypes." poo poo's rad. The mechanical gimmick for this season is Break Ride, which is "when you ride a dude over this dude, you get bonus effects." Always +10,000 power, what else you get depends on the card.
  • Season 4, Legion Mate: I liked this one, but it felt pretty rushed, since it was a considerably smaller season than the rest. This one is only available subbed, which is good, because there's no way they'd be able to afford someone who could do the Docking Formation sequence justice. The mechanical gimmick here is Legion, which lets you put a second unit on the vanguard circle, adding their powers together on the attack and granting various bonuses depending on the card.

At this point, a movie was produced: Neon Messiah. No official English subs exist, and what I've seen for them are pretty poo poo in every way, but it's a movie-length commercial for a children's card game so it's not like it's all that hard to follow. The mechanical gimmick in this, which is used by only one character but c'mon he's the villain and we're only working with a single movie's worth of content, is Delete. This flips your vanguard face down, and essentially renders it a vanilla card with zero power. Unfortunately, Delete is very costly to use (which is not inherent to the mechanic itself and thus could be fixed but won't be), but it was worth it. Emphasis on was, because the mechanic was rendered obsolete by the stuff in Vanguard G.

• Season 5, Vanguard G: This is the worst season of the lot, easily snatching the crown from the former title holder Asia Circuit. Chrono is a boring plot-armored punchgoon, Shion is a boring generic prettyboy, and Tokoha is a girl so she doesn't get to do poo poo. As a greater sin for a card game commercial, absolutely nothing any of the cards do is explained ever, you just get people shouting that they're attacking for numbers. No skills are used or explained. It picks up in the second half, to the point that you can (and should) skip to the halfway point when Taiyou is introduced and we get a proper tutorial, and the episode after is when Yuichiro Motherfucking Kanzaki is introduced, who is played by Koyasu Takehito, who is a god drat legend in the industry (the dub voice for him sounds like a whiny car salesman, for gently caress's sake spare your ears). The mechanic in this season is Stride, which is technically introduced at the very end of Neon Messiah, but absolutely nothing of what it does or how it works is even hinted at, so gently caress it. Stride allows you to discard three grades worth of stuff to take a card from the Generation Zone (an eight card side deck) and put it on top of your Vanguard. It goes away at the end of the turn. It is also the reason that Delete was rendered obsolete so fast: if you Stride over a vanguard that has been Deleted, you flip it face up and everything proceeds as normal. You miss bonus skills like Blademaster's "counterblast 1, retire something" but eh, small price.
  • Season 6, GIRS Crisis: After the colossal shitshow of G, this was a welcome breath, because stuff is actually getting explained! The characters are less insufferable! Holy poo poo! The mechanical gimmick for this season is hard to pin down, but I would say it's all the keywords that clans started getting, like Gear Chronicle's Time Leap, Royal Paladin's Brave, and Neo Nectar's Bloom.
  • Season 7, Stride Gate: This is really obviously just the second half of the same story that GIRS Crisis is part of, and if you push the first episode of this to be the last episode of GIRS Crisis, the break point is much cleaner. I rather liked this one, even if the major antagonist's plan turned out to be really loving stupid, and one of his lackeys turned out to be an obnoxious little shitgremlin. The major mechanic for this season was the Generation Guard, which allows you to discard a heal trigger to call a special card from the Generation Zone to guard with big numbers (and usually extra effects). To accomodate these, the Generation Zone was expanded from eight cards to sixteen.
  • Season 8, NEXT: I'm rather enjoying this one, and even Chrono is tolerable now! The quality of the translation fell right off a cliff, though, and in several episodes I spotted stuff that contradicted what was happening on screen, or was gibberish, or whatever. And it's still translating "taikyaku" as "retreat" instead of the game term "retire." (Yes, "taikyaku" can mean "retreat" but in this case it doesn't; apparently nobody flipped through a rulebook or looked at a card.) The thing that's surprising me is that we haven't really seen any new mechanical gimmicks yet this season. We've seen new versions of the signature cards our protagonists have been using that now incorporate their keyword (for example, Ranunculus Flower Maiden, Ahsha compared to Ranunculus of Searing Heart, Ahsha, but the only major new mechanic isn't really a new mechanic so much as a new spin on the Generation Guard. I've seen it being referred to as "Super G-Guards," and they're being introduced in Fighter's Collection 2017. In brief, if you're in Generation Break 1, you can use it and flip another G-Guard face up to guard with it, and all of them so far have pretty big effects. Some of them are fantastic, and some of them are poo poo, but they're bigger than what we had.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Legion Mate, rushed? I'd say exactly the opposite. Legion Mate is slow as poo poo, with episodes usually accomplishing absolutely nothing because the series was too busy showing us how dangerous the Quatre Knights are to actually have the story move along. It reminded me uncomfortably of Digimon Frontier, both in the "invincible villains" category and in the fact that only the hero and second matter. Misaki lost every single fight she got, Kamui was pointless other than one fight with Kai, and Miwa was a protagonist in the opening only, he got all of one fight in the entire season, where he used cards Kai also used so he wasn't selling anything, and obviously he lost. Badly. Only Kai and Naoki ever accomplish something.

It also seems to like Kai vs Gaillard just a bit too much. The Prominence Core vs Vortex Dragonewt fight was great, but then they fight again for no reason, in a fight that's so terribly animated and choreographed that it's clear even the people behind it knew there was no point whatsoever to it.

Also I'd put G over Asia Circuit and Legion Mate because at least it improves, and the second half has DIO.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Hm, point on Legion Mate's speed. Maybe we can meet in the middle and say the pacing was bad? Once events came to a head and we learned who was behind it (and obvious though it is, it's technically a spoiler so I won't say it) things just rushed to a conclusion awful fast. But then, I watched the series when it was new and that was three years ago.

While G's second half being a vast improvement over the first is inarguable, and I would be willing to agree with your placement over it above Asia Circuit of Legion Mate in a vacuum, the first half is still enough of an albatross to drag it to the bottom of the rankings. The gap closes when you factor in poo poo like this (lovely translation aside; like "you have to be in the top 16 to use GIAS" becomes "GIAS is one of the sixteen best cards to use" and the constant loving up of "my" and "your") and the Kanzaki versus Try 3 fight I can't find a clip of, but the first half is seriously that loving bad.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It's always nice to see Aichi clowning people. There's stuff he did in there that I would've done differently, but I can't really say he did anything wrong. Unlike Chrono, who should have guarded that first vanguard attack, because if Aichi got a trigger he wouldn't be able to stop the rearguard without expending two cards, whereas dropping a trigger to stop an unboosted vanguard means the attack is not going to hit.

I think this fight served two purposes; one, Aichi Sendou is back and still ain't nothin' to gently caress with, and two, getting to Generation Break 8 quickly requires a little effort and a hundred or so dollars worth of cards but it can be done some time before the heat death of the universe. I suspect that we'll get to see this new GB8 unit in action next week, when Aichi has to win to progress the plot, even though Gear Chronicle versus Link Joker is a bad match for him for reasons we already saw. At least "works towards GB8 Stride, gets it" will feel like an actual win rather than the authorial fiat of "opponent no-guards at 3, two crits on the drive check."

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Aichi's new deck is pretty cool. Turning his rear-guard Blaster Blade into basically a second Vanguard is very fitting to Aichi as a character, and hell, it was really cool in every way. Aichi's cool, I'm glad we have Aichi back.

Also Chrono got owned because Aichi is the best, obviously, but I'm glad he got to show he's pretty strong too anyways. It's important to respect both protagonists!...but Aichi's cooler. Always.

I really want to know why the hell Ibuki's back on "no you aren't worthy" mode though. Must we go through this every season? It's getting tiring.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Normally I don't bother talking about new cards, but sometimes there are exceptions. As you might know, Fighter's Collection 2017 has the triple rares that are the new Super G-Guards, and double rares that are heals that do special things when pitched for said Super G-Guards. There were also Generation Rares, one per clan, about which we knew nothing. Two of them have had their abilities revealed, and both are Generation Break 8, so it looks like everyone gets to do this poo poo (in theory, I'll get to that in a moment).

First, the Shadow Paladin stride:

Dark Knight, Irgun Welt posted:

[ACT](VC)[1/Turn] Generation Break 8:[Counter Blast (1)] Choose up to five of your rear-guards, and retire them. Search your deck for up to the same number of grade 1 or less cards as the number of units that were retired, call them to separate (RC), and they get [Power]+15000 until end of turn. Choose up to the same number of your opponent's rear-guards as the number of units that were called, and retire them. Shuffle your deck.

In other words, "eat as many of your dudes as you want, replace them with fresh G1s from the deck that get +15k each and also blow up your opponent's field. Pretty good! Let's see what Dimension Police have in store for us:

Dimensional Robo Supreme Commander, Ultimate Daiking posted:

[AUTO](VC) Generation Break 8:When this unit attacks a vanguard, this unit gets [Power]+10000/[Critical]+1 for each of your rear-guards until end of that battle. At the end of that battle, if this unit's [Power] is 80000 or greater, all of your rear-guards get [Power]+10000 for each of this unit's [Critical] until end of turn.

In other words, "throw down your entire hand to swing for gently caress YOU, and even if you miss your rearguards can still swing for GET REKT numbers." A full field will give this +50k/+5 critical, and since the only way to fall short of that requires drat near deliberate loving up, you're going to get it as long as you dump your hand to fill the field with loving anything. Once you do, your rearguards are getting +50k each.

Now here's where the "in theory" part of the GB8 thing comes into play. Barring G-Guards, most clans have strides that let them flip two things per turn, as they stride into things that require flipping other things as costs. Gear Chronicle can do this faster than anybody else, as seen last episode thanks to Gear Groovy. Here's how it works, barring G-Guards. Here's the step by step:

1: Stride into Metallica Phoenix or something (1), flip a compatible Stride to pay for it (2).
2: Next turn, stride into Gear Groovy (3), and activate Gear Groovy to flip Nextage (4). Attack with Gear Groovy, flip Nextage to do its thing (5).
3: The turn after that, use whatever (6) as long as it involves flipping something face up (7). And then the next turn, stride into the GB8 fucker and that's the game.

Now, it's true that there's some caveats here, like the ability to pay for all this poo poo, but Gears can theoretically use this game ending motherfucker by their third stride if they just use the Super G-Guard.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I'm pretty sure everybody saw the way the fight would go coming (right down to Chrono using his Super G-Guard to hit GB8 by his third stride), so let's talk about Beyond Order Dragon, not that there's a whole ton to say.

It's pretty beefy, as a GB8 card should be, but it doesn't feel nearly as impressive as the Dimension Police one. This lets you swing with your vanguard twice, it's true, and you get to replace your rearguards with fresh ones for more attacks (if the spots are open; good of Chrono to watch for that poo poo and not leave things for Ibuki to lock), but I don't think that's nearly as impressive as what Dimension Police gets. Although Dimension Police is highly susceptible to reactive killing, ala Kagero's Denial Griffon G-Guard (when you use it, CB1 to kill the attacker).

I dunno, I'm just not feeling this one.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm just glad there's an actual reason for Ibuki to fight Chrono again instead of falling back into his G persona for no apparent reason. He's just awful at actually communicating what he wants to say, but he cares about Chrono a lot and that's pretty clear.

The fight was pretty predictable including Beyond Order Dragon finishing it, so I have little to say there other than I hate how Beyond Order Dragon looks. Painfully-inserted CGI that clashes against everything else, ew. Hopefully it's a one-time-thing and this isn't the direction Bushiroad is going with all GB8s.

And we're getting Tatsunagi...someone else? The moment I heard it, I expected Takuto was back again, somehow. I'm not even sure how he was back for Neon Messiah since I didn't watch that one. But no, it's a new Tatsunagi...somehow. I'm interested, I hope this gets a good explanation and it brings Kourin back.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It looks like every card battle anime needs some nonsense bullshit rules, and Vanguard keeps it to doing absurd tournament structures. All these rules are really good for is making sure I don't have to bother giving a poo poo about anybody other than our three protagonist teams and Diffrider, because there's four open spots and four named teams. (Okay, the others are named too but they don't even get a subtitle when the roster is flashed by so eh who cares.)

I'm not surprised that what's her name from Diffrider isn't using Fenrir, but I don't think they've introduced a keyword and then given it to someone else yet. Then again, they haven't had the person who was using the clan at the time of the keyword introduction not around, so who knows. Without knowing more about the cards available, I can't say for sure who did well.

Speaking of knowing poo poo, we have a page for the Domination mechanic, which can be summarized as "you control your opponent's card(s)" and it just goes into detail as to how to read abilities, what happens if the card moves, and so on.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh, right, this thread exists! I completely forgot to post in it!

Last week's episode was pretty good! No cards but we got explanations on what's going on, and a bunch of neat little details like Kai reacting to learning Chaos Breaker Dragon is one of the forceful Diffrides. Apparently he remembers how he used that thing back in Link Joker. There was even a cameo from Aichi's PSYqualia! I thought they completely forgot about that! Also it's good to know that being a poo poo person is just natural for a Tatsunagi, even if Nome still hasn't reached "brainwashed three girls, kidnapped them, and held them captive with the threat of losing their new memories"-level, and hopefully won't reach it, ever.

And in this episode...I actually really like Verno. She's cool, and I like that she seems to be a willing Diffride and was in one even before meeting Onimaru Kazumi. Also she beat Taiyou and I hate the kid so that makes me like her even more.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

So what is the box of choice to get if i'm now getting into Vanguard? I got myself the Royal Paladins Divine Knight trial deck and i rather want to get some more strides and more cards in general.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 4, 2017

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It depends really heavily on what clan you want to do. Like if you decide to go for Dimension Police, then there is nothing for you in the latest set. Hell, even for Royal Paladins I can't suggest buying much of the latest set, because it has six Royal Paladin cards in it: a triple rare that currently goes for three bucks, two single rares and those typically go for less than a buck, and three commons that are probably just a quarter if anybody bothers with them at all.

I don't know Brave-based decks well enough to give any kind of definitive advice, but off the top of my head I would point you towards the Try 3 character booster, GBT-08 Absolute Judgement, and if you can find it maybe GBT-06 Transcension of Blade and Blossom. That last one came out last year, and I have no idea how long these things stay in print.

Also my two bits of bog standard advice are "draws suck, don't use them" and "they gave you four perfect guards for a reason."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

God drat, Tokoha can't catch a loving break, can she?

I find it interesting that the Diffriding unit here is the perfect guard. I'm curious if they're going to do something with that, or if it's just "well poo poo, we need someone and can't use Blademaster."

• Locked thread