Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

The lords of somber rock have announced a title, cover and tracklist for what will be their sixth LP, and they're releasing it May 20/21.

Their past LP discography (which you should really check out):

------The National------ Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers---------Alligator-------------------Boxer-----------------High Violet--------

EPs:

--------Cherry Tree--------------The Virginia EP------

The tracklist (with live performances linked):
01 I Should Live in Salt (originally known as "Lola")
02 Demons
03 Don't Swallow the Cap
04 Fireproof
05 Sea of Love
06 Heavenfaced
07 This is the Last Time
08 Graceless (originally known as "Prime")
09 Slipped
10 I Need My Girl
11 Humiliation (originally known as "Sullivan")
12 Pink Rabbits
13 Hard to Find

:siren:The first official single is "Demons"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N527oBKIPMc

:siren:The second official single is "Don't Swallow the Cap"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFnA-8H-5lo

:siren:The third single is "Sea of Love"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIWmRbHDhGw

This is sure to be one of the better(/best) albums of the year, and word is the band is even calling it "visceral," which could mean more of a return to Alligator-style songs? Guess there's only one way to find out.

ThatsMyBoye fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Two months from now? Well, time to rev up the old time machine.

Speaking theoretically, can there be such a thing as an "old" or "new" time machine? These are the questions you must consider when you routinely abuse time travel to get awesome albums in advance.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

They announced a tour as well and I've been personally spreading rumours they might appear at a local festival in the hope it will somehow catch on. Odd though that none of the songs match any of the tracks they 'tested' at ATP. They might have changed the names though. Anyway I sincerely hope it calls back to Alligator and SSFDL as those are in my opinion way better and more memorable then the latter 2 albums.

By the way you forgot to put in the Virginia EP in your post and they have quite a few songs not on albums as well.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

The National are by far and large my favorite band currently recording and I will probably spend the next week living in my Mr.November shirt in anticipation of this.

Davincie posted:

Odd though that none of the songs match any of the tracks they 'tested' at ATP.

Really hoping they just got renamed, Prime and Sulivan are sooo good.

http://pitchfork.com/news/50044-the-national-announce-sixth-album-trouble-will-find-me/

And on the other hand "i need my girl" made the the album and it didn't really stand out when I heard it.

They are playing a free show in toronto at Dundas square for NXNE, the last time it was the flaming lips and the place was rammed. I think I am going to go 4 hours early and camp out on the bar balcony across the road.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I believe this is the song that's been re-titled "Graceless"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TgtKNhHjes (starts at 1:19)

Not sure what "Lola" and "Sullivan" have been renamed, or if they made it. It seems like Rylan didn't make the cut unless it, too, got a title change, but that seems unlikely.

Also yeah I only included LPs in the OP, they have the Virginia EP and Cherry Tree and various B-sides of singles to check out if you find yourself perusing the back catalog.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
Praise you, TMB, the preeminent The National fan of our generation. Also how dare y'all talk bad about Boxer, literally my favorite album, by anyone, ever.

I'm not certain about "favorite", but The National is certainly the "best" band I follow going currently. No I don't know how I make that distinction either. Anyway I have been looking forward to this so long and finally an end is in sight. It's a good day, y'all

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

ThatsMyBoye posted:

I believe this is the song that's been re-titled "Graceless"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TgtKNhHjes (starts at 1:19)

It seems like Rylan didn't make the cut

Awesome,

I'm ok with Rylan not making the cut, its an awesome song but but we already have a live studio version. You probably heard this a jazillion times but for those who haven't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf02SGcMPvo

uublog posted:

Praise you, TMB, the preeminent The National fan of our generation. Also how dare y'all talk bad about Boxer, literally my favorite album, by anyone, ever.

Its my second favorite after O.K computer, and High Violet being a close third. The first time I heard it I thought it was boring and my reaction was man who listens to this stuff? Never been more wrong about anything in my life.

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 21, 2013

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Not sure what "Lola" and "Sullivan" have been renamed, or if they made it. It seems like Rylan didn't make the cut unless it, too, got a title change, but that seems unlikely.

Here's hoping Rylan made the cut and just got a title change.. or at least a studio version on a B-side. It's a beautiful song.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Lola is the first track, "I Should Live in Salt."

I am so pumped for this album.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Chamberk posted:

Lola is the first track, "I Should Live in Salt."

I am so pumped for this album.

Sweet thanks, updated the OP.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Great news. The National are a weird band for me - if they come up on shuffle I usually have to skip as I have to be in the right mood for most of their album tracks. But when I am in that mood, there's fewer bands I'd rather listen to.

Here's hoping this album is as strong as their back catalogue.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

britishbornandbread posted:

Great news. The National are a weird band for me - if they come up on shuffle I usually have to skip as I have to be in the right mood for most of their album tracks. But when I am in that mood, there's fewer bands I'd rather listen to.

Here's hoping this album is as strong as their back catalogue.

I'm the exact same way, except for when Secret Meeting comes on. That's one I'll never, ever skip as it's one of my favorite songs of the past decade.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

http://pitchfork.com/news/50204-watch-the-national-perform-new-song-heavenfaced-in-berlin-plus-new-tour-dates/

"Heavenfaced" performed in Germany. Halfway decent video. Looks like this song will be this record's "Runaway", can't wait !

edit: they also sent out an email with Europe tour dates and said they'd have big news Monday, so I assume that's gonna be the single.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well poo poo yeah. Alligator and Boxer are more or less perfect albums. High Violet had a couple songs holding it back and didn't have "that one song" for me (Boxer had, like, three of them - "Apartment Story", "Start a War", "Ada") but taken as a whole album it was fantastic.

I believe High Violet was also the last (new) physical CD I bought (everything is digital or records for me now).

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Chamberk posted:

edit: they also sent out an email with Europe tour dates and said they'd have big news Monday, so I assume that's gonna be the single.

Boy, I sure hope so, it's been absolutely killer waiting for Tuesday every week and not getting anything, then repeating with the next Tuesday.

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007
Hot drat! I can't wait to give it a listen. The Boxer is easily one of my favorite albums.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
Incredibly excited for this, High Violet remains one of my favourite albums.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I was half a second away from posting this before I double-checked the OP.

Cherry Tree, The Virginia EP, and Think You Can Wait/Exile Vilify should be there too. They're not LPs and there's a fair amount of chaff on the longer EPs (particularly Virginia), but some of their best stuff isn't on the albums.

And this thread should be longer by now.

<:mad:>

I'm way too excited for music in 2013. By December, I'll have preordered more than twice as many LPs as in any year before.

headrest
May 1, 2009
I am a giant National fan, but High Violet disappointed me in a number of ways that are somewhat hard to articulate. To me, High Violet took all the bad habits they had in Boxer and turned it into a whole album.

The normally punchy, dynamic guitars and drums seemed to be pushed way back into the mix, leaving every song with a big-room, textural sound. A lot of the songs on High Violet seemed to be either stagnant or constantly climaxing, as opposed to choice swells in both Boxer and Alligator (think the horns in "Start a War" or the epic piano and horn closer of "Ada".) Speaking of piano, where was it on High Violet? Granted, its been a while since I've heard the album in full, but nothing sticks out.

Also, I love the lead singer's voice but too many songs on High Violet relied on his vocal delivery and tics to become memorable. His voice seemed expecially booming and morose and the lyrical content bordered on melodrama.

That being said, Alligator and Boxer are both superbly crafted albums. Every song is different and evokes a different mood, which is what I felt High Violet lacked. It sounds too National-y for its own good (which I realize is a stupid criticism but like I said, its hard to articulate).

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

headrest posted:

Speaking of piano, where was it on High Violet? Granted, its been a while since I've heard the album in full, but nothing sticks out.

Sorrow sticks out in my mind first.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Also one of those post-High Violet songs was "Exile Vilify", which is one of the best piano songs they've ever done.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

England is by far and large my favorite off high violet, probably listened to it 100 times in the first week of owning the album.

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.
Is it weird that I think High Violet is a fantastic running album? So easy to zone out on. Can't wait for the new one.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I added links to the EPs by popular demand.

It's Monday in Europe, maybe there's a single to come before midnight eastern :ohdear:

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

lowercasejames posted:

Is it weird that I think High Violet is a fantastic running album? So easy to zone out on. Can't wait for the new one.

Not at all. High Violet was regularly on my jogging playlist. There's something about the tempo of the album that makes it easy to run to.

And if you're looking for Piano driven songs, "Think You Can Wait" is my favorite.

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 8, 2013

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

ThatsMyBoye posted:

It's Monday in Europe, maybe there's a single to come before midnight eastern :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N527oBKIPMc

Few hours late, but close enough?

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

It's beautiful, I love it. Can't wait for this album.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I didn't even pay attention the lyrics the first time through, but holy poo poo they are gorgeous. Here's what I got:

When I think of you in the city,
The sight of you among the sights,
Get the sudden sinking feeling
Of a man about to fly.

Never kept me up before,
Now I've been awake for days.
I cant fight it anymore;
I'm going through an awkward phase.

I am secretly in love with
Everyone that I grew up with.
To my crying underwater,
I can't get down any farther.

All my drowning friends can see
Now there is no running from it.
Its become a crux for me.
I wish that I could rise above it.

But I stay down, with my demons.
I stay down, with my demons.

Passing buzzards in the sky,
Alligators in the sewers.
I don't even wonder why
I'm high among the under humans.
Heard her wisdom all night long,
The worried talk to God goes on.
I sincerely tried to love it.
Wish that I could rise above it.

But I stay down, with my demons

Can I stay here? I can sleep
On the floor.
Paint the blood and hang the palms
On the door.
Do not think I'm going places, anymore.
Wanna see the sun come up above New York.
Ohhh-
Every day I start so great, then the sunlight dips.
The less I learn the more I see the pathos and the limps. (the path ends in the limbs?)
Do not know whats wrong with me since I was in the cut.
When I walk into a room I do not light it up.

gently caress.

So I stay down, with my demons.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 9, 2013

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

I started out liking it, and am currently on my way to loving it.

Hot drat I can't wait for the rest of this album.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lord Krangdar posted:

Can I stay here? I can sleep
On the floor.
Paint the blood and hang the palms
On the door.
Do not think I'm going places, anymore.

Goddamn. This song is the new "Apartment Story".

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p017fh37

Live on BBC Radio 6 playing a couple new songs, sounds great!!

Graceless is particularly amazing

NicelyNice fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 9, 2013

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Oh my god this album is gonna be loving incredible. I can think of literally no good reason not to go all out here... except for that I'm lacking on funds. No matter; money is only temporary, The National is forever

precision posted:

Well poo poo yeah. Alligator and Boxer are more or less perfect albums. High Violet had a couple songs holding it back and didn't have "that one song" for me (Boxer had, like, three of them - "Apartment Story", "Start a War", "Ada") but taken as a whole album it was fantastic.

I believe High Violet was also the last (new) physical CD I bought (everything is digital or records for me now).

What really puts Boxer over anything else is that like half of the album was made up of songs I love like that -- "Start a War," my introduction, "Mistaken For Strangers," which includes my favorite line in any song of theirs, and perhaps any song ever ("Another uninnocent elegant fall into the unmagnificent lives of adults"), "Brainy," "Apartment Story," and "Gospel," which I only realized last month. Plus "Fake Empire" and "Slow Show" are also excellent.

Oddly enough, I for some reason prefer a physical CD to a buying everything digitally. I don't know why, but something about having a tangible product to hold, a booklet to read. Of course, I limit it to particular works that I greatly enjoy, which I guess is the point.

Anyway, I think I need to listen to their entire library a few more times before May 21.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

headrest posted:

The normally punchy, dynamic guitars and drums seemed to be pushed way back into the mix, leaving every song with a big-room, textural sound. A lot of the songs on High Violet seemed to be either stagnant or constantly climaxing, as opposed to choice swells in both Boxer and Alligator (think the horns in "Start a War" or the epic piano and horn closer of "Ada".)

I really disliked the sound of Terrible Love opening the album. So much so that on my hard drive, it's replaced with the Pitchfork session verison. So much better.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

uublog posted:

which includes my favorite line in any song of theirs

I'm a big fan of the lyrics to Squalor Victoria, better believe I raise my glass to the heavens when he tells me too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When High Violet came out and had the pictures of the band in the gatefold, my dead ex-best friend were drunk and joking around and he said the album should be called "You Might Be In This Band".

It's true. It's almost incredibly indulgent how much it's "music that I should have/actually have written", especially the lyrics.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

uublog posted:

Oh my god this album is gonna be loving incredible. I can think of literally no good reason not to go all out here... except for that I'm lacking on funds. No matter; money is only temporary, The National is forever

What really puts Boxer over anything else is that like half of the album was made up of songs I love like that -- "Start a War," my introduction, "Mistaken For Strangers," which includes my favorite line in any song of theirs, and perhaps any song ever ("Another uninnocent elegant fall into the unmagnificent lives of adults"), "Brainy," "Apartment Story," and "Gospel," which I only realized last month. Plus "Fake Empire" and "Slow Show" are also excellent.

It's crazy how much Boxer kept on giving me. I went through a intense love phase with every single song on that album and I still listen to it more than any other album I own. I'm probably a weird obsessive or something, but goddamn, whatever, it's so great. The delivery and atmosphere and percussion and writing on that album are all perfect.

What are you guys' favorite National lyrics? I love Ada's "stand inside an empty tuxedo with grapes in my mouth, waiting for Ada". Such a weird phrasing, but really nails this sense of nervous disconnect. My brother met Carin Besser, Matt's wife, and asked her about her writing credits on the album, which include Ada, and he asked about that line especially. She responded "I wrote some of it, but that's entirely Matt's style."

:edit: writing this post made me start up Boxer. help me.

VladimirLeninpest fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 10, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My favorite lyrics are mostly the obvious ones. The entirety of "Apartment Story" more or less describes exactly how a relationship I was in for 5 years went. "Stay inside til somebody finds us, do whatever the TV tells us". "So worry not, all things are well, we'll be alright, we have our looks and perfume". I'm getting depressed just typing it out. And also wanting to listen to the album again. And "Start a War" makes it a double whammy because it perfectly describes how that relationship ended. "If it went away I'll get it over now. I'll get money, I'll get funny again."

They're just one of those bands where it's like, man, I get it.

:smith:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The entirety of both Karen and Slipping Husband is fantastic. To be honest, Boxer never and High Violet never did it as much for me as Alligator and SSFDL

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

If you were to have someone listen to Terrible Love for the first time which version would you give them?

I really like the alternate version but there was something about the album version that got me hooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Wazzit posted:

If you were to have someone listen to Terrible Love for the first time which version would you give them?

I really like the alternate version but there was something about the album version that got me hooked.

Album version because I'd prefer to have them hear the original album. Even though I think I lean alternate myself.

• Locked thread