Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I miss the fuller drums from Boxer too, but I don't know if they would fit any of the songs on this album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Story on Grantland about the band and the album: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9273624/an-afternoon-national-eve-release-their-album-trouble-find-me

Takeaways:

-There was less acrimony putting this record together than there was with HV
-"Humiliation" was originally titled "Tunnel Vision" but was changed after Justin Timberlake's 20/20 had a song with that title on it.
-It sure doesn't sound like they're slowing down anytime soon.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Oxxidation posted:

Though it's got some stiff competition regardless. One thing the band's kept consistent is excellent album openers and closers. I've always been a fan of Lucky You, personally, especially when the bridge kicks in:

Lucky You is another one of my favorites.

Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers is like a compilation of perfect breakup songs.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Good article, thanks for posting.

I had been listening to this album on headphones since it leaked, but it sounds so much better on speakers. The decision to leave a lot of extra space in the sound really pays off.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

So much for not slowing down soon?

http://p4k.in/16qOymP

SlowlyChoking
Nov 23, 2004

Open fierce skies on me, on a bird and we experience the new death indeed.

My local shop decided to sell the vinyl early and I snagged a copy. 180 gram pressing and it sounds god drat fantastic. I've been listening to it for the past two hours.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SlowlyChoking posted:

My local shop decided to sell the vinyl early and I snagged a copy. 180 gram pressing and it sounds god drat fantastic. I've been listening to it for the past two hours.

Ugh- so jealous. I preordered the deluxe box, which apparently isn't shipping until June.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
It's a good album, but I definitely miss some of the anthemic buildup tracks off of Alligator and Boxer. Although Alligator was my first introduction to them back in the day and it has sort of built up an unhealthy level of expectations for me every album. It's my favorite of theirs and one of the best albums in who knows how long.

I mean clearly this is the album they wanted to make and it's very very good in that regard, but sometimes I feel like the tracks are just building to something but never quite "release." The instrumentation is fantastic and has definitely grown since their inception. There's some nice piano/synth underlaid on some of the tracks. It's fantastic.

Fave tracks are I Should Live in Salt, Heavenfaced, I Need My Girl, Humiliation, and Pink Rabbits.

I feel like I'm able to stand back and see that it's a good album for what they wanted, but it's still number four on my list of theirs. I think if they did decide to split up though it'd be a great album to do it on.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

:f5: Spotify update please

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

:f5: Spotify update please

This is pretty much me since midnight. I've been listening to their back catalogue all weekend and now I am ready for the new album.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
They're going to be on Letterman tonight, and more excitingly (for me anyway) Colbert on Wednesday. I'm looking forward to the interview.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

"This is the Last Time" is such an awesome song I had to sit down and divine the chords for it. I suck at doing this but sometimes songs just hit me and I need to play them ASAP. Felt this way with a lot of songs on Born to Die, too, and ended up spending most of release night going through and figuring out songs.

SlowlyChoking
Nov 23, 2004

Open fierce skies on me, on a bird and we experience the new death indeed.

Calico Heart posted:

"This is the Last Time" is such an awesome song I had to sit down and divine the chords for it. I suck at doing this but sometimes songs just hit me and I need to play them ASAP. Felt this way with a lot of songs on Born to Die, too, and ended up spending most of release night going through and figuring out songs.

Yeah, on my first listen that is the first song that really grabbed me.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

iTunes just made my preorder available. Happy. :)

rossimo
Oct 10, 2005
USC Trojan
I really love this record. It has a really open sound with lots of cool touches. One of my favorites from them.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
Can't wait to see these guys twice

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

iTunes just made my preorder available. Happy. :)

4AD just emailed me the album download (and everyone who bought the vinyl, I assume). The box set is shipping "tentatively mid-June." :ohdear:

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Somebody let us know what they play on Letterman in 10-15 minutes; I can't pick up the local CBS station on my lovely antenna :haw:

(I'm sure it'll show up on YouTube by the AM)

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Here's them on Letterman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=psdbvZpRUEo

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Any word on whether they'll be returning to Jools Holland to promote this album? They've been on twice before - if I recall, they played a totally bitching version of Terrible Love the last time, but I can't seem to find it anywhere

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

They're playing a three-set of shows today around NYC. I was too late for the first one so I had to stand outside the bar in Brooklyn where they set up shop.

They've got two more today, but one was random drawing and the other sold out in about 2 minutes. Got a picture with Matt and Bryce though so at least there's that!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Listening to the album for the first time now. Man, I Need My Girl is my favorite so far. This song is too beautiful.

edit: Oh hell, Pink Rabbits is excellent too.

edit2: They played the Colbert Report last night. If anyone didn't see it, here's the full episode: http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episodes/wed-may-22-2013-the-national

Stephen interviewed Matt and then they played Graceless.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 23, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
"I Should Live in Salt" is as good an album opener as anything they've ever done- and that's saying a lot when "Fake Empire" and "Secret Meeting" are in that group.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Listened to the album about 3 times so far and loving it. Favourites are the opener and Pink Rabbits at the moment. It's a really great album.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

"I Should Live in Salt" is as good an album opener as anything they've ever done- and that's saying a lot when "Fake Empire" and "Secret Meeting" are in that group.

Am I the only that thinks terrible love is the best opener?

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
I'm so used to The National's albums having to grow on me over months I don't know how to handle the fact that I've been incredibly in love with this whole record from the instant I finished it. If the grower thing holds true, I'm on a trajectory that leads to unhealthy obsession.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TheAbortionator posted:

It definitely sets the mood for the rest of the album, at least. I'm probably one of the few people who prefer the murky studio cut to the crisper live ones.

My favorite opener is still Cardinal Song, though. Those lyrics are loving devastating. "Never tell the one you want that you do - save it for the deathbed, when you know you kept her wanting you."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oxxidation posted:

My favorite opener is still Cardinal Song, though. Those lyrics are loving devastating. "Never tell the one you want that you do - save it for the deathbed, when you know you kept her wanting you."

This is one of their absolute best songs. Devastating songs seem to be their forte.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Punch Card posted:

I'm so used to The National's albums having to grow on me over months I don't know how to handle the fact that I've been incredibly in love with this whole record from the instant I finished it. If the grower thing holds true, I'm on a trajectory that leads to unhealthy obsession.

Totally feel this way. I saw all the stuff about how it's a grower etc and I got a bit worried, because whilst I like The National a lot, I am not their biggest fan ever(!!!). I've listened 4 or 5 times now and I think it is in my top 3 albums I've heard so far this year, behind 2 albums that I have listened to around 20 times each. Every time I listen it does get better though. I like how everything is really muted, and they don't seem to do a lot, but there is a hell of a lot going on, if that makes sense. Also I think the structure of the album itself is really good. I don't know the track names yet, because I tend to just listen to the whole thing and let it play at the moment, but some of the tracks seem perfectly paired.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheAbortionator posted:

Probably not, but I think that the alternate version of the song that was released as a 7" and as one of the bonus tracks on the expanded version of the album (tracks are on iTunes if you don't have them, they're all really good IMO) is way superior- if only because of the drumming mix.

I love their last two albums but I hate the way they've pushed Bryan's drums way back in the mixing. Compare the way the drums sound on Boxer to the last 2 albums. It's a shame because his drums are one of the best things about their sound.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Probably not, but I think that the alternate version of the song that was released as a 7" and as one of the bonus tracks on the expanded version of the album (tracks are on iTunes if you don't have them, they're all really good IMO) is way superior- if only because of the drumming mix.

I love their last two albums but I hate the way they've pushed Bryan's drums way back in the mixing. Compare the way the drums sound on Boxer to the last 2 albums. It's a shame because his drums are one of the best things about their sound.

The only thing about his drums is that it really never varied much ever which isn't really a positive thing. They're not terrible, but it always sounds the same. I'm not surprised they pushed 'em back with how overall tame the album is.

Old Ash
Dec 29, 2012
The pushed-back drums make sense on this record, I think. There's much more of an emphasis on the vocals leading the song, as opposed to the drums. It's a nice change of pace, although I'll admit that I wish songs like "Graceless," "I Need My Girl," etc. had more of an oomph drums-wise. But I don't mind too much.

I also prefer the alternate version of "Terrible Love," as others have said here.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I agree wholeheartedly with that last sentence, but can you imagine this album with those drums? I don't think it would work at all.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
just got back from Boston Calling. They destroyed. Such an excellent show. They opened with a song from Trouble, and then played my two favorite songs by them right in a row: Bloodbuzz Ohio and Mistaken For Strangers. I didn't think it could get any better, but they just continued to pound home excellent song after excellent song. Then they played About Today and turned it from the melancholy tune I'd always thought of it as into something raucous and amazing and energetic and fun. They did one encore, Matt Beringer climbed into the audience during Mr. November and walked around among the crowd, laughing and playing around with people.

It was so drat good.

(Dirty Projectors and The Walkmen were other highlights of the festival.)

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Yeah, one of the most pleasant surprises about this band was finding out how energetic and intense their live shows are. I always recommend seeing them if you have the chance.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

caldrax posted:

just got back from Boston Calling. They destroyed. Such an excellent show. They opened with a song from Trouble, and then played my two favorite songs by them right in a row: Bloodbuzz Ohio and Mistaken For Strangers. I didn't think it could get any better, but they just continued to pound home excellent song after excellent song. Then they played About Today and turned it from the melancholy tune I'd always thought of it as into something raucous and amazing and energetic and fun. They did one encore, Matt Beringer climbed into the audience during Mr. November and walked around among the crowd, laughing and playing around with people.

It was so drat good.

I'm so jealous of you. Caspian, one of my favorite bands, played Boston Calling as well. I'm friends with Phil (the lead guitarist) on Facebook and follow him on Instagram, and he posted some photos of them and he also said they killed it.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

caldrax posted:

It was so drat good.

Does Matt scream during any of the new songs?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BonoMan posted:

The only thing about his drums is that it really never varied much ever which isn't really a positive thing. They're not terrible, but it always sounds the same. I'm not surprised they pushed 'em back with how overall tame the album is.

I'll agree with that. I don't think it's a bad thing, but I do feel like I've noticed several drum riffs recycled from older songs on Trouble Will Find Me. Maybe I'm just weird and obsessive since my next step after listening to any album multiple times is to start mentally dissecting the songs into their constituent parts.

Starsnostars posted:

Does Matt scream during any of the new songs?

When I saw them at the Beacon, Matt screamed during "Squalor Victoria," of all songs. It was dope.

I think they've sorta forced themselves into a position where they have to explicitly make their live cuts more energetic than the album versions- their sound's gotten a bit less raw and raucous with each subsequent album, but their increasing fame has also greatly increased the average size of the venues they regularly play. Compare their touring schedule now to the Boxer era, where they were generally playing smaller spaces and arguably the biggest tour they did was opening for REM (and they sounded horribly out of place at Madison Square Garden). From High Violet onward, all they've been doing is headlining and playing festivals. They've reached the indie rock version of "arena band" status.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 27, 2013

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK
I bought tickets to see them at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, which seems like a pretty big place for them to play. I'm super excited to see that show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Live versions of "Squalor Victoria" and "Apartment Story" are totally different from, and better than, the album versions. Which is saying something, as I consider Boxer an almost perfect album as it is.

I got tickets to see them in September. Counting down the months...

• Locked thread