Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

AshB posted:

Err... that's pretty much exactly what I said, but in more words.

No, you said the exact opposite? You specifically said that an issue with the story is that people aren't 'genius and lazy' or 'dumb and hardworking' in real life. Which is implying that the story is putting them into those categories.

Which is saying that Neji didn't work hard, because he's a genius, so he must be a genius and lazy in the story. Because that is the flaw in this story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Basically even in Naruto, people aren't divided into "hardworking but untalent and lazy but brilliant" camps.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

The more I think about it, the more I think at least part of the hard work v.s. talent stuff from the beginning of the manga was more a lens to show the value of a master/teacher that is able to work to the student's strengths. This is a huge part of why Lee is as capable as he is. He not only works hard, but Gai goes out of his way to develop whatever natural strengths and abilities he has.

Similarly, when Naruto fights Neji, it's after he learns from Jiraiya for the first time. He then uses this to defeat both Neji and Gaara, relying on the lessons learned from the first teacher that really had a firm understanding of his attitude, strengths, and weaknesses. For instance, Jiraiya completely ignored the entire idea of developing fine chakra control in Naruto and instead worked on pulling out more power. The chakra control, while normally a basic thing for ninjas, had little value. This is after Kakashi and Ebisu had both attempted to get Naruto to work on the basics.

Kakashi learns from this and in part two adapts how he teaches Naruto to fit Jiraiya's methods. He introduces the idea of kage bunshin training (normally insane) due to the huge level of power Naruto had, but his poor grasp of general chakra manipulation. He basically used one strength to completely cancel out Naruto's traditional weakness.

Neji never really had a teacher that could work with his gifts though. Gai is great, but he's not the same type of taijutsu fighter that Neji is. Thus, he can't really develop Neji's skills rather than encourage him.

Sasuke, interestingly, had a huge advantage over Naruto in part one not due to his natural genius, but because he had teachers with a firm grasp of what he can and cannot do. Kakashi knows how to exploit sharingan bullshit like no other and he uses this to get Sasuke to learn several things like Lee's taijutsu and chidori. This actually helps to explain why someone extremely gifted like Naruto still managed to have trouble keeping up with Sasuke in part one. He didn't have a teacher well suited to his talents, whereas Sasuke did. Jiraiya started to reverse this, and this is where Sasuke started to develop what amounted to an inferiority complex.

I just wrote way too much about early Naruto.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

A SPECIAL UNICORN posted:

The bolded has always bugged me. I assumed Itachi would end up being a good guy, but this was bullshit. What illness? He never looked sickly until right at the end, when he was getting his rear end kicked (on purpose.) Even when he was brought back, it never came up again.
It opened up some interesting avenues of potential plot when it might have connected to other illness deaths like Kimmimaro and Sai's brother. We're pretty far past any of that coming up, and all the potential perpetrators have been vanquished and outclassed.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
No I think that's a pretty good observation. The Master/Student relationship is a big thing in Wuxia fiction in general and it's been pretty important in Naruto. The parrallels between the linage of masters from Hizuzen down to Kakashi, as well as the relationship between Sasuke and Kakashi compared with Orochimaru and Sarutobi; the paralel between Nagato and Jiraya with Naruto and Jiraya. You could even compare the relationship with Madara and Obito with Obito and Sasuke. The relationship between master and student is a big part of this manga too.

Starting to wonder if running a naruto tabletop in Legends of Wulin is doable now.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

That's a pretty good way of looking at it, actually. It sort of makes you wonder how Neji would have turned out if his father had been around to see him grow and teach him (like Shikamaru), or if Tenten had been Tsunade's apprentice instead, or if someone else (Anko?) had been around to help Kakashi with Sasuke. :shobon:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I don't think the hard work aesthetic ever existed in Naruto. Naruto had a super rare technique only he could use due to having the most powerful chakra in the world even from the first chapter. There was never any reason to believe Naruto wasn't exceedingly talented at being a ninja even from the beginning. It's just that he was a little poo poo that didn't apply himself to anything; he certainly wasn't the ace, but he certainly wasn't supposed to be Rock Lee either.

The only time that particular storyline was ever really there was Lee himself, and his "story" was over as soon as he recovered from the injuries Gaara gave him. Sure, Neji tried to apply that whole thing to Naruto, but he also didn't actually know Naruto was stupidly powerful.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He put in tons of useless effort during ninja elementary school, but his chakra flow was messed up and no one cared enough about him to learn what his strong points were. I'm sure there were a bunch of simple jutsus that require a bunch of chakra that someone, perhaps a certain someone called the god of shinobi could have written down instructions for. But instead Naruto kept on banging his head against the wall trying to learn a bunch of useless crap in ninja elementary school.

Konoha hates orphans for some bizarre reason.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

He put in tons of useless effort during ninja elementary school, but his chakra flow was messed up and no one cared enough about him to learn what his strong points were. I'm sure there were a bunch of simple jutsus that require a bunch of chakra that someone, perhaps a certain someone called the god of shinobi could have written down instructions for. But instead Naruto kept on banging his head against the wall trying to learn a bunch of useless crap in ninja elementary school.

Exactly - the entire reason Kage Bunshin was considered forbidden was because it was so chakra intensive that the average ninja would be killed if they attempted it. Naruto can ignore that limitation, making it incredibly potent in his hands. If the Third had taken him under his wing and taught him forbidden jutsus that were dangerous to normal people but harmless to Naruto, the first half would have been very different. Naruto would have outshone everyone from the start.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Its even more bizarre considering that strangely, a few chapters ago, Hashirama actually addressed the issue of using children as weapons, yet Konoha still does it.

Zonekeeper posted:

Exactly - the entire reason Kage Bunshin was considered forbidden was because it was so chakra intensive that the average ninja would be killed if they attempted it. Naruto can ignore that limitation, making it incredibly potent in his hands. If the Third had taken him under his wing and taught him forbidden jutsus that were dangerous to normal people but harmless to Naruto, the first half would have been very different. Naruto would have outshone everyone from the start.
The Third Hokage himself is very easily (and rationally) susceptible to an alternative character interpretation given the fact he went along with a mass genocide of an entire clan and let Naruto be treated like poo poo for his entire childhood for no apparent reason at all.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I always figured that Kage Bunshin didn't require any control. So Naruto was able to just dump chakra into it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dexo posted:

I always figured that Kage Bunshin didn't require any control. So Naruto was able to just dump chakra into it.

That's how it was always presented, really. But the technique can't be unique in that respect.

There really isn't any way to reconcile Naruto's childhood with how the 3rd was portrayed. If he had done right by the 4th Naruto would have been adopted. If no one else in the village was willing to take him, why not his own clan? There are a bunch of them running around. The 3rd was a parent, a grandparent, and had spent a lifetime teaching young ninjas. For Naruto, he yelled at him when he pulled a prank and seems to have completely ignored him the rest of the time. The chakra control thing was only half of the problem; Naruto grew up unloved and unwanted so he had a bunch of psychological issues that he is only now starting to overcome.

For a place where heredity is so important and most of the adults have a very high mortality rate, Konoha doesn't do poo poo for orphans. Hell, if Naruto's life is anything to go by it seems obvious why Big O hated the place so much.

Of course, the real answer is that the background details weren't fully fleshed out when the manga began and Kishimoto was never fully able to reconcile the contradictions. The 3rd's personality and Naruto's lovely childhood aren't related at all.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Naruto's childhood only makes sense if him containing the 9-tails was basically unprecedented and it was generous for the village to even leave him alive at all. The 3rd might have personally cared for the boy, but who knows when the 9-tails could burst out? Gotta be careful, especially when there is no clear successor.

It's not just that Kishimoto decided to be cliche and have The Main Character Secretly Be A Prince and The Handsome Mysterious Killer Secretly Be Good; it's that he went for those cliches while also contradicting his own world.

I'd be fine with Itachi being a good guy if it didn't raise so many questions. Why did every Uchiha need to die, even the children? Why did the 3rd let Danzo get away with it? I thought Itachi worked well as being the ultimate product of a broken system. The one of a kind child-soldier grows up to be one of a kind mass-murderer.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It wasn't unprecedented. There had been an Uzumaki jinchiruuki in Konoha since the village was founded.

Oh, and you are kidding yourself if you think Naruto's father wasn't set in stone from the very first chapter. He was always a 'prince'.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I'd assume Itachi murdered all the Uchiha children to maintain plausible deniability. It's not much of a stretch for him to want to leave Sasuke alive; Sasuke is his little brother, after all. However, if he had only killed all the adults, or only killed the adults involved in the coup, it would be pretty easy to see that something was up.

Even if he did leave all the children alive, who would take care of them? There would be dozens of orphans with super-duper eyehax, how would you keep them from being abused? Or at least keep them no more abused then the average child soldier in Naruto.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

The Third Hokage himself is very easily (and rationally) susceptible to an alternative character interpretation given the fact he went along with a mass genocide of an entire clan and let Naruto be treated like poo poo for his entire childhood for no apparent reason at all.
Well, supposedly the Third was opposed to the Uchiha genocide; the intended interpretation is clearly that he was powerless to prevent it. Konoha internal politics are too much of a black box to say for sure why this would be. Other than I guess if the Third got into a deathmatch with Danzou et al., and the Uchihas asked what brought it on, then there would probably be an Uchiha bloodbath in the end anyway on top of everything else.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

Silento posted:

I'd assume Itachi murdered all the Uchiha children to maintain plausible deniability. It's not much of a stretch for him to want to leave Sasuke alive; Sasuke is his little brother, after all. However, if he had only killed all the adults, or only killed the adults involved in the coup, it would be pretty easy to see that something was up.

Even if he did leave all the children alive, who would take care of them? There would be dozens of orphans with super-duper eyehax, how would you keep them from being abused? Or at least keep them no more abused then the average child soldier in Naruto.
He didn't murder the children for plausible deniability, he killed them because if he didn't they would grow up so pissed off that they would just coup in the future.

Notice how this is exactly what Sasuke did? This is why Itachi has to make it a demand that he not be killed, even after they outlined this exact situation involving the children.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silento posted:

I thought there were no Uchiha children other than Sasuke, or at least none younger than Itachi himself at the time.

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL

Silver2195 posted:

I thought there were no Uchiha children other than Sasuke, or at least none younger than Itachi himself at the time.

Why would that be? I'm sure they existed, but it wasn't relevant to show them to the reader. I'm pretty sure it was referenced Itachi killed 'even innocent children.'

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

uG posted:

He didn't murder the children for plausible deniability, he killed them because if he didn't they would grow up so pissed off that they would just coup in the future.

Notice how this is exactly what Sasuke did? This is why Itachi has to make it a demand that he not be killed, even after they outlined this exact situation involving the children.

Yea, that makes sense as well. I'd like to think that not ALL the Uchiha were dicks though. I think I remember it being mentioned that some of them never awaken the Sharingan? If so, maybe they don't have brain problems!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

It wasn't unprecedented. There had been an Uzumaki jinchiruuki in Konoha since the village was founded.

Oh, and you are kidding yourself if you think Naruto's father wasn't set in stone from the very first chapter. He was always a 'prince'.

I don't think anyone but the Hokage and a few of the higher ups knew about the jinchiruuki before Naruto though. Everyone seems to have known about Naruto though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Could be, seems to be a lot of secretive rituals involved, but for various reasons the passing to Naruto may not have been covered up.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Dexo posted:

Naruto had Jiraiya and Kakashi to teach him.
To be fair, they were both pretty lovely at it (honestly, the Naruto that fought Pain is where he should have been at when he returned to the village, instead of learning basically nothing during the timeskip and then learning a shitload of stuff in... what, a year?)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

U.T. Raptor posted:

To be fair, they were both pretty lovely at it (honestly, the Naruto that fought Pain is where he should have been at when he returned to the village, instead of learning basically nothing during the timeskip and then learning a shitload of stuff in... what, a year?)

You can rationalize this as Jiraiya putting Naruto through a lot of meditation training designed to prepare him for Sage Mode. Remember, pre-skip Naruto was pretty ADHD.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Silver2195 posted:

You can rationalize this as Jiraiya putting Naruto through a lot of meditation training designed to prepare him for Sage Mode. Remember, pre-skip Naruto was pretty ADHD.

That and Naruto came back much better at using Clones in ways other than "rush enemy".

Jiraiya taught Naruto better fundamentals, and was going to teach him how to use the Kyuubi's power more, however he probably realized that if Naruto got too far there was no way to stop him(as was shown when Jiraiya's poo poo got kicked in by Naruto at 3 or 4 tails) so he probably just toned down the training after that.

Kakashi had the luxury of having Yamato around.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

All that's mostly opinion, I guess, but I outright disagree with the statement that Itachi's motivation before that reveal was better.

oh GOD! There are actually people who believe stupid poo poo like that?! :stare:

goons..

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Blackest Goon posted:

oh GOD! There are actually people who believe stupid poo poo like that?! :stare:

goons..

I think a lot of people are just morally uncomfortable with the casuistry involved. I don't think as many people would have objected if Naruto was a seinen manga.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Silento posted:

Yea, that makes sense as well. I'd like to think that not ALL the Uchiha were dicks though. I think I remember it being mentioned that some of them never awaken the Sharingan? If so, maybe they don't have brain problems!

I'd think anyone who didn't have their Sharingan awakened would have gotten them post massacre. Hell, it's kind of strange Sasuke took so long to get his Sharingan in light of the recent revelations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

BlitzBlast posted:

I'd think anyone who didn't have their Sharingan awakened would have gotten them post massacre. Hell, it's kind of strange Sasuke took so long to get his Sharingan in light of the recent revelations.

He was probably just too young, I guess. Obito and Madara both seemed the same age as Sasuke was when theirs awakened. Itachi got his at age 8, but that was apparently a big deal, and he saw a lot of poo poo too, younger than Sasuke did. Though I guess the stuff Sasuke experienced was kinda a lot worse.

Scratch all that. Sasuke DID activate his sharingan during the massacre, acording to chapter 403, he just couldn't use it at will until years later. Similar to how Kakashi awakened his mangekyou as a kid, I guess.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 23, 2013

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Prison Warden posted:

He was probably just too young, I guess. Obito and Madara both seemed the same age as Sasuke was when theirs awakened. Itachi got his at age 8, but that was apparently a big deal, and he saw a lot of poo poo too, younger than Sasuke did. Though I guess the stuff Sasuke experienced was kinda a lot worse.

Scratch all that. Sasuke DID activate his sharingan during the massacre, acording to chapter 403, he just couldn't use it at will until years later. Similar to how Kakashi awakened his mangekyou as a kid, I guess.

Im guessing Kakashis mangekyo awakened when Obito did

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Veg posted:

Im guessing Kakashis mangekyo awakened when Obito did

There's no guessing involved, we saw that's exactly what happened.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

There's no guessing involved, we saw that's exactly what happened.

I have some rereading to do

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Veg posted:

I have some rereading to do

http://www.mangainn.com/manga/chapter/93098_naruto_chapter_605/page_8

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Thats such an awesome page.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Prison Warden posted:

Was anyone else bothered by that retcon? Sasuke awakening his Bloodline ability when facing off against Haku who also had one was kind of a big deal in the early chapters. Sasuke actually having it activate years earlier and just have it not work again until then really bugged me.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Sanguinia posted:

Was anyone else bothered by that retcon? Sasuke awakening his Bloodline ability when facing off against Haku who also had one was kind of a big deal in the early chapters. Sasuke actually having it activate years earlier and just have it not work again until then really bugged me.

Naruto is just retcon on top of retcon. Kishimoto just goes with it. Kind of like how Itachi turned out to be a good guy, or how elemental aspects of jutsu only started mattering much later.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
When Sasuke activates his sharingan against Haku he has three of those comma things in his eye. That seems like a strange number to have from the start, so you could argue it was foreshadowed. Not to mention the massacre night was a tad traumatising so it makes sense he'd forget.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
I'm fairly sure nothing has ever been literally retconned in Naruto.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Veg posted:

Thats such an awesome page.

Has it ever been explained why he had to kill Rin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008

Pyrotoad posted:

When Sasuke activates his sharingan against Haku he has three of those comma things in his eye. That seems like a strange number to have from the start, so you could argue it was foreshadowed. Not to mention the massacre night was a tad traumatising so it makes sense he'd forget.

Yeah exactly. Of all the things that seem to have been made up along the way this isn't one of them. The Sasuke/Itachi plotline has been in it from the beginning as well as the (non MS at least) sharingan. It has also always been alluded to that each level of the sharingan are activated by specific emotional triggers to do with friendship/betrayal.

uXs posted:

Has it ever been explained why he had to kill Rin?

Not yet but it wasn't so long ago it was revealed. It will inevitably come when Kakashi friendship no jutsus Obito and reveals she was a double agent who had been possessed by hypnotoad.

• Locked thread