Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

pnumoman posted:

I doubt 12 million a year would make up for an early heart-related death.

Oda, quit smoking and take care of yourself goddamnit! You need to be making manga for as long as possible! And heaven forbid you die before OP is done; I'll loving chain your lifeless corpse to the drawing desk if I have to.

It wouldn't kill OP if he just produced an issue every two weeks if he really was pushing himself that hard. Frankly I've never understood why the Japanese push for weekly manga series when most American comics are monthly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Speaking of good color spreads and fan-art, here's one of my personal favorites:

I don't know why, Doflamingo is a really interesting and mysterious character for me compared to a lot of others in One Piece. Maybe I'm caught in his pace? :yohoho:

Liar posted:

It wouldn't kill OP if he just produced an issue every two weeks if he really was pushing himself that hard. Frankly I've never understood why the Japanese push for weekly manga series when most American comics are monthly.

Maybe part of it is a cultural thing?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 22, 2013

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Liar posted:

American comics are almost entirely colored, though.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Meme Emulator posted:

American comics are almost entirely colored, though.

It is a different guy who does the colouring usually. And Walking Dead is still monthly, just as an example.

But western artists usually work on multiple things at once, and Oda has to do all the plotting and poo poo too.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Western Comics are also printed on much nicer glossy paper than Weekly Jump. Weekly Jump is almost entirely made of cheap newsprint paper so they are able to charge a lot less for an issue of Jump and it probably doesn't cost much to print.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Mountain Lightning posted:

Western Comics are also printed on much nicer glossy paper than Weekly Jump. Weekly Jump is almost entirely made of cheap newsprint paper so they are able to charge a lot less for an issue of Jump and it probably doesn't cost much to print.

I see this with hardbacks and graphic novels, but month to month printings seem to be on normal enough paper. But it could be the case of me just reading more Indie crap. I haven't bought any trade issues from DC or Marvel since back when Superman died to Doomsday, so maybe things have changed and it's all printed on HQ paper now.

But even if Jump HAD to print weekly it doesn't mean they have to have the same series every week. It'd be easy enough to give artists a break by having different series every-other week. I know they're basically selling themselves on Naruto and One Piece, but come on there has to be a way to work it out.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Yeah it's a hard comparison to make because Western style comics are made by so many people. People who just write it, people who just draw it, people who just color, etc. There could be an artist who draws all the sketches but then a completely different person draws over them in ink. Meanwhile Oda does all the writing and drawing for himself aside from some of the backgrounds and effects.

I kinda get the feeling that Oda wouldn't have it the other way, though.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I was thinking about how deep and complex the one piece universe is and it blew my loving mind. There are layers upon layers of fantasy elements woven into the story. I think any of us who are big fans could just start naming dozens of unrelated and interesting things.

Shapiro
Jun 27, 2005

a jealous female can be tricked into anything

Tarodia posted:

Viz uses "momentum" instead of "pace". I like that better

Oh, I like that better too.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
Not even Luffy can resist dippable, chunky, salsa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgHtAtq8vsQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Am I missing a joke here?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Liar posted:

Am I missing a joke here?

The salsa is called Pace. :ssh:

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

TheRamblingSoul posted:

I don't know why, Doflamingo is a really interesting and mysterious character for me compared to a lot of others in One Piece.

This is the joy you get when a character is written well. Doflamingo has been hinted and teased at for so long but it has never felt overbearing or forced. Oda is a genius.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Not sure where else to put this, but there's a demo of Kaizoku Musou 2 (Pirate Warriors 2) on the Japanese PSN along with a free Punk Hazard theme. You can play as Luffy (partnered with Usopp) or Law (partnered with Zoro) on Skypiea and also get a look at how they've changed the coin mechanic.

The demo's pretty good, though it feels more like Pirate Warriors 1+ than a full sequel. Luffy, Zoro and Usopp play mostly the same as they did in the first game but with the token timeskip moves placed in their combos (gomu gomu no UFO :allears:). Law is crazy fun and his level 1 super is surprisingly brutal. Smoker shows up to tag-team Enel (huh???) at the end but you can't play as him.

The best change by far is that every character has a separate 'style' meter that controls their character-specific 'powerup' mode - Gear Second, Santoryuu, Diable Jambe, etc. Crew strikes are a lot better too since you can actually run around as your partner and choose when to use a super as them, etc. They've definitely beefed the enemy count this time to make it even crazier than the first game - my killcount was 15000 enemies by the end. There's also a mechanic involving Logias and using Haki to counter them but I couldn't really understand the in-game tutorial.

Overall, pretty psyched for the release in August. I would probably go ahead and grab the download version of the game off PSN if it wasn't £70 (jesus and I thought Euro gamers got gouged)

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Please tell me Sanji can sky walk.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Thoren posted:

Please tell me Sanji can sky walk.

Please tell me he'll do it more often.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Just caught up this week, been mostly an anime watcher. Have I missed the discussion if Luffy will win and just eat the fruit without thinking about it?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
No but its highly unlikely. As for the tournament I kind of wish Luffy, Zoro and Sanji were all there since they all seem like they'd want to compete to see whos the best, only to have something rule Sanji and Zoro out before they could fight Luffy

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If we're doing a tournament, I'm hoping Franky and Luffy never show up because they stumble across the factory and Luffy doesn't actually care about the Fire Fruit. Meanwhile Zoro catches up to the thief outside the coliseum, gets his sword back, and then gets in a fight with Sanji that just flows into the middle of the battle, one of Mango's men says something stupid and they decide to instead have a contest to see which of them can beat up the most gladiators.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fat_Cow posted:

Just caught up this week, been mostly an anime watcher. Have I missed the discussion if Luffy will win and just eat the fruit without thinking about it?

Only way I can see this happening is if the fruit they showed off is a fake, because of course they wouldn't put such an incredibly valuable fruit out in the open in front of thousands of people(who could have any kind of abilities/devil fruits that could allow them to steal it).

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I get the feeling you don't just try to steal from Doflamingo unless you're not a fan of your arms.

Have we seen a dude actually die from eating 2 devil fruits? If not, maybe it's just a sailor superstition...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think Luffy would care if he heard that some random guy got the fruit. But a tournament of bastards, organized by a bastard and held right in front of him? It still probably isn't one of those absolute shounen fighting rage inducers, but Luffy goes where he wants and does what he wants. If the situation bothers him in the slightest, he would see no reason not to get involved.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Fecha posted:

I get the feeling you don't just try to steal from Doflamingo unless you're not a fan of your arms.

Have we seen a dude actually die from eating 2 devil fruits? If not, maybe it's just a sailor superstition...

CP9 mentioned it like it was a known fact, which led me to believe that Vegapunk had probably tested it.

However it could be a rumor that was actively cultivated and has no basis.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
It's definitely a fact, Blueno had just criticized Jyabura for believing in superstition (that just being close to another fruit causes the user to explode) so he wouldn't answer with another rumor. The only reason we haven't seen it is because Oda doesn't kill without a good reason.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
I hope Luffy immediately associates Ace's fruit with being able to cook meat really well, and so he charges into the tournament thinking it'll be perfect for cooking that special meat Doflamigo is keeping from him.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Star Platinum posted:

It's definitely a fact, Blueno had just criticized Jyabura for believing in superstition (that just being close to another fruit causes the user to explode) so he wouldn't answer with another rumor. The only reason we haven't seen it is because Oda doesn't kill without a good reason.

"G-g-get that thing away from me! If it gets too close, the 'devil' inside and my 'devil' will come out and start fighting and I'll die!"

Oh Jyabura :allears:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Liar posted:

I hope Luffy immediately associates Ace's fruit with being able to cook meat really well, and so he charges into the tournament thinking it'll be perfect for cooking that special meat Doflamigo is keeping from him.
And then forces Sanji to eat it?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Fecha posted:

And then forces Sanji to eat it?
Sanji's still holding out that Absalom's DF will be available.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Monster Hunter settles the eternal debate.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You are only allowed to say that, if you asre also dressed like that.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Looks like Ace moved on to Monster Hunter too.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Comic posted:

Looks like Ace moved on to Monster Hunter too.

Thinking about it, Ace being in Monster Hunter could easily be a dream of Luffy's. In it, Monster Hunter is the equivalent of heaven. What do you do in monster hunter? Fight giant monsters and eat their meat.

Obviously that image is a dream sequence that Luffy had to come to terms with the idea that Ace was gone. :downs:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
So, I posted a bunch of :words: over on Reddit speculating on the One Piece world-at-large and where the story is likely headed. Might as well post this before the next chapter:

quote:

I've been rewatching the anime from episode 1 and, being caught up in the manga, I feel like the "Pirates are pirates... Except Luffy's crew" theme that snakes its way throughout the entire story will have a huge pay-off near the end of One Piece.

I figure something like this might happen:

Luffy's powerful ability to win over seemingly impossible friends (ie pointed out by Mihawk during the Marineford War) will be the secret weapon in creating an impossible alliance (eg several Shichibukai, Marines that follow the Justice Aokiji/Smoker/Tashigi/Coby/etc embody, allied pirate factions) under the Revolutionary banner against the corrupt (ie Akainu's Absolute Justice) World Government, fulfilling Whitebeard's prophecy and Sengoku knew full well could happen if an upstart pirate gets too out of hand (and why the Marines would be paranoid after Roger's death inaugurated the Age of Piracy and their plans for scaring lesser pirates completely backfired, similar to the results of the Marineford War reigniting passions all over the world and backfiring their plans to scare the pirates of the world with Ace's live execution); the Shichibukai, however unwieldy, are such valuable assets primarily due to their reputation and their ability to coerce other pirates into toeing the line with the Marines and ultimately the World Government (which is why Dragon is considered to be so dangerous precisely because that "weapon" of reputation is being used in a direct assault against the World Government); Luffy will most likely be seen as even more dangerous than his dad because of this ability to unite even his most dire enemies (eg Crocodile at the Marineford War, etc) behind a common cause; also probably a major reason why bounties play the role they do in One Piece (ie measuring up someone's reputation, why Shichibukai are known for their former bounties to scare weaker pirates)

Luffy won't be able to lead such an alliance until he's built up the proper credentials for himself by overthrowing a Yonkou and eventually finding the One Piece.

Like with everything else Luffy does, he will most likely just stumble his way into this leadership role only because it affects him personally (eg beating Blackbeard to the One Piece and fighting him because he had a crucial role in Ace's death, fighting Akainu because he killed his brother and thus the worst kind of rear end in a top hat in Luffy's view) - which is why Luffy can still be a good guy but not feel any qualms over releasing a bunch of prisoners and genuinely bad dudes from Impel Down - and still make for a satisfying and logical narrative because it's Oda writing the story... And in this really narrow view, Luffy isn't that different from someone like Akainu since he's fighting passionately for what he believes is the right, which is ultimately subjective as Doflamingo pointed out at the Marineford War

The Will of D is the "legacy" of Gol D Roger which lives on primarily through those who have the D initial but there has not been a true inheritor of that "legacy" yet; in other words, the D's are connected in how they could be potential successors based on their Roger-like shared characteristics (eg smiling and peaceful in the face of death, zest for life, quirky personalities, etc) but there can only be one True D;

The New World and the journey to Raftel is so impossible and so dangerous that anyone who is anything less than a true successor to Roger would get weeded out (not just in the physical sense but also the emotional and mental hardships requiring massive amounts of will to survive the New World; Luffy moved on from Ace's death, Crocodile and Moriah gave up after their respective traumas), hence why nobody has made it to Raftel either due to lack of ability (ie nearly everybody) or interest (ie Whitebeard, possibly the other Yonkou as well since they would be content with their New World fiefdoms);

The people closest to Roger when he was alive (eg Shanks, Raleigh, Whitebeard, etc) also have the best idea of who would live on as Roger's inheritor/reincarnate; Shanks bet his arm that it would be Luffy, and Raleigh and Whitebeard seemed to have agreed; only this True D would also have the ability to do what Roger wished he could have done before he died: overthrowing the World Government so people can live in total freedom, happy and free from oppression.

The mere existence and revolutionary potential of these kinds of charismatic "D" leaders poses a threat to the stability of the World Government, although messing them tends to make things worse for the World Government in the long run (ie why the World Government flipped their poo poo for months on end and did horrible things if it ultimately meant finding Roger's unborn child and serving Absolute Justice... which, to be honest, really means ensuring the survival of the current diseased world order - the Marines, the World Government, Cipher Pol 9, the Seven Stars, and the World Nobles - even if Akainu and other Marines are blind to that being so entrenched in their world views of what they genuinely believe to be the right thing to do in their ideological bubble; refer back to what Law says to Smoker before cutting out his heart during the Punk Hazard saga, Aokiji's chat with Smoker after fending off Doflamingo at Punk Hazard, and Hannyabal's speech during the Impel Down saga, and this chat between Commander Kong and Sengoku in Chapter 594: http://i.imgur.com/zpf28iF.jpg; Sengoku was definitely a smart enough dude to know that the Marines needed to adapt their values and stop their "ends justify the means" attitude to governing as Aokiji would have done in a leadership role in order to survive the inevitable Revolution if they did not).

In fact, "pirates are always pirates" is the very foundation which the concept of Absolute Justice - and thus, the World Government and the world order - relies on. Without it, the people's faith in the Government and how it does its business (ie terribly) would fall apart at the seams. Akainu has no place in that kind of world.

Lastly, this True D seems to require a weird and hard to find paradoxical combination of characteristics: a freedom-loving pirate who is fundamentally a good guy but not so good as to distract him from his own personal goals but still good enough to lend himself towards a cause (ie Revolution) which normally requires a more goody-two shoes kind of person to risk themselves for... Unless it was for personal reasons. Blackbeard, however similar to Luffy, is fundamentally a bad and corrupt dude, thus he simply cannot be a True D even if he is objectively stronger than anyone else - he's just missing that essential element which I'm sure he can't comprehend why (ie Luffy has it, Blackbeard doesn't).

Also, if Blackbeard is what you get if you took Luffy and made him corrupt, Doflamingo is what you would get if Luffy was nihilistic and scornful of romantic ideals but just as willful and ambitious.

Am I missing anything?

Addendum: ...Various characters have explicitly pointed out [their disbelief and how "pirates are pirates" and how it's impossible for a pirate to be a good person] only to be proven wrong by Luffy and his crew. Look at how Smoker and his G-5 crew warmed up to Luffy as the Punk Hazard arc wrapped up (and even Nami to Luffy until the end of the Arlong Park arc). I really believe that Oda is trying to make this an important series-long theme without being too explicit and direct about it.

Basically Luffy and his crew are charismatic (and weird) enough to fundamentally shake up what people expect out of pirates (and thus their views on how the world is supposed to work, ie black-and-white Absolute Justice of Government Good, Pirates Bad). This should lay the groundwork for the future Revolution. And it will be awesome.

(...And now those cover stories with Caribou as ersatz-Che Guevara seem a lot more directly relevant to what's going on with the story in the next hundred pages or so, I'd wager.)

...And Haki could be considered the "presence" or force of character of someone made manifest; in other words, in the logic of the superhuman fantasy world of One Piece, someone's will can be so strong that they could just "will" an opponent into submission because their desire to win is so strong and their spirit/will so utterly outmatches their opponent's will, making the winner of any fight a foregone conclusion and thus can be resolved quickly even though the opponent wants to fight; and only really special people have this kind of potential for will to do the impossible both literally (eating two Devil Fruits at once is impossible! Knocking people out without touching them is impossible! Hitting a Logia is impossible!) and metaphorically (Getting your worst enemy to be your best friend is impossible! Overthrowing the World Government is impossible! Opposing the World Nobles is impossible! Becoming the Pirate King is impossible! Changing the whole world is impossible! Ruling your own country (ie Crocodile, Wapol, and Doflamingo) is impossible!); this specific theme has been a part of One Piece literally from the moment Luffy and Coby met each other and should carry through to the very end of One Piece

Thoughts?

[e]: This is what you get when you have an itch to write and can't sleep at 3 AM. :v:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 26, 2013

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
In the Romance Dawn pilot chapters, there were two categories of pirates.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
And then Oda ditched that crap because it was stupid.

Now, pirates fly their flags that carry their ideals and ambitions. As Doflamingo would say, the victors become justice.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Mystic Mongol posted:

And then Oda ditched that crap because it was stupid.

Now, pirates fly their flags that carry their ideals and ambitions. As Doflamingo would say, the victors become justice.
Plus it got refined into the idea of the Shichibukai being the 'tolerated but necessary evil'.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

I don't know if I agree with you about the Will of D though. It seems like something related to the lost Century since numerous people are shown to know the secret behind it. The name seems to be given to them at birth and there have been people with this initial in the marines so I don't think it's something the World Government are actively against.

I also don't really agree about pirates like Luffy upsetting the World Government though. Luffy is probably the best example of why the World Government and their views on justice is necessary and happily accepted by the rest of the world. Sure it's corrupt to the core but it's the only shield you have against all the horrors of the outside world.

Luffy's trail of destruction across the world shows that he's not a 'good' guy or a hero. He, like Roger and probably Whitebeard and Shanks, are just people willing to protect their friends at the cost of everyone and everything else. He's loyal but probably no more so than a lot of the other characters we've seen.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheRamblingSoul posted:

So, I posted a bunch of :words: over on Reddit speculating on the One Piece world-at-large and where the story is likely headed. Might as well post this before the next chapter:

The will of D isn't the legacy of Roger, it predates Roger and ties into the void century. There are also several true Ds running around at all times, for instance everyone but Sabo in Luffy's family are Ds. The Will of D seems most likely to tie into the legacy of the ponyglyph civilization and is only related to piracy in that Ds tend to draw people to them and do big things, which means that they can make for spectacular pirates like Luffy, Roger, and Ace. However we've also seen Ds in the Marines like Garp and Saul. I'm pretty sure the only "evil" D that we've seen is Blackbeard, who has been called out as a fake D. The World Government also tries to cover up the true nature of the Will of D, which seems to have more to do with their magnetic personalities and tendency to do as they like than any ties to the void century.

Also Luffy and his crew are hardly the only pirate crew roaming around flipping the pirate paradigm. Shanks, Whitebeard, Ace, and more than likely others I'm forgetting all are/were cool dudes who help the little guy instead of steal his poo poo and burn his town. Most pirates are raging assholes, but other than the Marines, most well traveled people, or people in high traffic locations, aren't the ones remarking on how Luffy's a paradigm shifting pirate. It's the places that have been super hosed over by specific pirates and those whose knowledge of pirates is largely derived by Marine propaganda and gossip who have their minds blown by Luffy. The thing that the Strawhats really push the limits of in piracy is being crazy weird.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

In this week's Jump, Oda wrote "I'm so sorry for worrying everyone. I keep on acting as if I'm invincible."

What a guy. :shobon: I do hope he's okay though. It's been said before in the last thread, but anything happening to him and One Piece getting cut short would be devastating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I really hope the "top tier" Shichibukai are really drat powerful. Oda's done a great job building them up to some sort of mythical power, and Crocodile and Moriah gave great fights. Considering how cool the setting is, I have high hopes for Doflamingo, and can't wait for Zoro's eventual fight with Mihawk.

But the one I'd be most excited to see is if the crew has to battle Kuma. He's a great character design with a really solid background, and his powers would make for a fun and good fight.

• Locked thread