Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

Yeah, that's what I'm down for.

I would recommend getting Divine Divinity and Divinity 2: Developer's Cut at your earliest convenience though. They're pretty fantastic and will give you a taste of what you're in for so far as writing style, humour and their willingness to just straight up gently caress with genre conventions. Divinity 2 was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
This kickstarter seems to be going very slowly. It is making me worried!

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

I'd say getting 75% of their funding in less than 10 days is kind of fast actually. They will probably reach their 400k goal with time to spare.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

It's only going slowly if you use Torment or Project Eternity as comparison models; which you absolutely should not. Chillax, it's going along just wonderfully.

In any other world, 300k of 400k from internet strangers to a small dev house is a fantastic amount in 8 - 10 days.

edit: I thought it would be the opposite for you; a Sgt Pederast sounds like someone who would absolutely prefer something to mature slowly. :pedo::pervert:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 3, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
EDIT: There is a thread especially for Original Sin and the Kickstarter.

I was browsing through some Larian videos, and I found one on Dragon Commander from E3 2012. Ignore the actual gameplay parts, the RTS mode has been completely changed. The interesting stuff is in the post-demo interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBGtRTjIT6Y&t=743s

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 7, 2013

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Keep in mind the Torment kick starter was literally the fastest and most successful game kickstarter to date.

This getting 87% in 10 days is still pretty good.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

drat, I thought this game was far away, not something I'd be playing in the next few months. Everything about it looks amazing.

Thanks for making the thread Stabbey, big fan of your Divinity LPs!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
An important reminder:

Larian posted:

GOG.com, DRM-free digital purveyor of all that's good in gaming, has announced today that they will be partnering up with Larian games on their next two release titles: Divinity: Dragon Commander and Divinity: Original Sin, kicking things off with a live Google+ Hangout On Air Q&A session on Wednesday, 10 April 2013 at 2:00 GMT (10:00 AM EDT), which will reveal new gameplay footage of the game and have a special code for $2 off the preorder for anyone who watches the Hangout On Air.

Preorders will start on 10 April 2013 at 3:00 GMT (11:00 AM EDT) after the Q&A session on Google+ is finished. During the Google+ Hangout on Air, Larian Studios will be revealing a code good for an additional $2.00 off the preorder price (for a total savings of $6.99) to everyone who watches the stream. Dragon Commander will be available for preorder on GOG.com for $39.99 during preorders, which will launch on the 10th of April. Check out GOG.com's Google+ page to watch the stream.

EDIT: I also asked Swen about the Dragon Commander Board game. In an earlier post he mentioned they were floating the idea of going a Kickstarter to fund the board game edition. I had some concerns about that and asked him again:

LarianStudios posted:

@Stabbey: We're slowly giving up on the idea due to lack of time - quite sad about it though. But I'm interested in your 100 words or so ;)

Instead of trying to do a Kickstarter for that next month, they'll hold off on the idea. If the Collectors Edition with the board game comes out, it'll probably be part of something like a GotY edition with a bunch of new content added.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 9, 2013

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
You will also be able to get it/claim it on Steam. I have confirmed this with Larian in regards to the $65 kickstarter tier.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
This is your one-hour warning about the live streaming event for the GoG.com pre-orders of Dragon Commander.

Larian posted:

Gog.com, DRM-free digital purveyor of all that's good in gaming, has announced today that they will be partnering up with Larian games on their next two release titles: Divinity: Dragon Commander and Divinity: Original Sin, kicking things off with a live Google+ Hangout On Air Q&A session on Wednesday, 10 April 2013 at 2:00 GMT (10:00 AM EDT), which will reveal new gameplay footage of the game and have a special code for $2 off the preorder for anyone who watches the Hangout On Air. (Also on Twitch.tv.)

Preorders will start on 10 April 2013 at 3:00 GMT (11:00 AM EDT) after the Q&A session on Google+ is finished. During the Google+ Hangout on Air, Larian Studios will be revealing a code good for an additional $2.00 off the preorder price (for a total savings of $6.99) to everyone who watches the stream. Dragon Commander will be available for preorder on GOG.com for $39.99 during preorders, which will launch on the 10th of April. Check out GOG.com's Google+ page to watch the stream.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The stream is now live. If you want to live-chat here, sure! I won't be able to type everything up myself live, so go ahead!

Ha ha, wow, already a clusterfuck of echos making it hard to hear.

EDIT: If you missed the stream, you can find it here.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 10, 2013

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The stream is now live. If you want to live-chat here, sure! I won't be able to type everything up myself live, so go ahead!

Walp. Echo makes this unwatchable and they're not reading the text chat.

Larian. :eng99:

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
This is amazing

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Yay, the echo is fixed now.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That botched start was so hilarious and so typically Larian.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Game play footage now. I love all the ships passing by the window. Great touch.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Getting confused by a yes/no-question, is really a great way to start this.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Game is looking pretty good so far.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Wow, if you favour one faction enough, you can enter into a faction arc. Each faction arc has a "golden goal", a "silver goal", a "bronze goal", and a "they hate your guts" goal. The farther into a faction arc you go, the worse your relations for other factions get.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Ha ha there's a "Genocide population" card you can play. (Reduce population to 35%)

There are multiple map sizes. Some have only 30 countries, but there can be maps with up to 105 countries on them.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 10, 2013

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Apparently you could skip the whole RTS-part if you don't like it.

But it looks really pretty.

Hehe. The livecam went into sleep mode. I really like those guys.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 10, 2013

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Nooooo come baaaaack

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Air is lava! posted:

Apparently you could skip the whole RTS-part if you don't like it.

That makes me really happy. Being inept at RTSs it's nice that I can just auto-resolve and stick with the turn based strategy and political part. I'll never play it online anyway, so it's not like it would be a loss for me.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
I hope this stream will be archived. I am at work and couldn't watch it at all :(

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Swen's ending comment was great. The whole stream was hilarious, I'm glad I decided to watch. The graphics also looked impressive, especially the RPG part.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

lethial posted:

I hope this stream will be archived. I am at work and couldn't watch it at all :(

It is twitch.tv, so yeah it should be automatically archived. Yeah, here it is I think: http://www.twitch.tv/larianstudios/b/389054545

e: There's gonna be echo for the first 8 or so minutes as they fix some mic issues.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

That makes me really happy. Being inept at RTSs it's nice that I can just auto-resolve and stick with the turn based strategy and political part. I'll never play it online anyway, so it's not like it would be a loss for me.

As long as the auto-resolve is actually good and not prone to completely lopsided calculations. I don't want to see 50 spanish knights defeating 2700 peasants with 0 losses and having killed 2480 of those 2700 peasants.

This game seems very ambitious, would be cool if they delivered on it though!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I did a summary of some of the points from the stream.

• Why is it multi-genre? They wanted a game where you ran an empire at war. That means you had to make Political decisions, which lead to the RPG elements with the advisors. The war meant you needed a war map to make Strategic decisions. Then there are carrying out the results of the orders - the tactical decisions which led to the RTS mode, and since you’re a Dragon Knight, you had to use those powers as well, so the flying parts.
  • The story: Sigurd, the Emperor of Rivellon is dead. His children are squabbling and fighting for control to seize power. You are a bastard son of the Emperor, but the Dragon Mage Maxos has decided you are the one most fit to re-unite the land and rule.
  • The technology is derived from demonic tech, and Maxos wants it destroyed, fearing that if it is not, it will end up destroying Rivellon.
  • In the beginning and end of the campaign there will be story-based issues and council meetings, but the middle, campaigns will choose from a bunch of generated issues and dilemmas. (There will also be story events in the middle of the campaign as well)
  • In multiplayer, the host can actually save campaigns in progress, so you can only do a couple turns a night and pick it up a week later.
  • Upgrades researched on the Raven or strategy map are permanent. Upgrades can also be researched in the RTS mode – but it only lasts for the end of that map.
  • There will be a way to surrender if you end up in a battle that you’re outmatched, but I don’t know the consequences of that, versus just having your entire force wiped out.
  • They're using the sneaky-little-bastard tactics the human beta-testers are discovering to teach the single-player AI how to fight like a sneaky-little-bastard as well.
  • The countries map wraps around, so you can send air/sea units over the side and have them pop out and attack a country from the other side.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 13, 2013

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Thank you havenwaters and Stabbey for the updates! So Dragon commander is a continuation of Divinity II? I really need to finish that game since I lost interest in it during the section where you are playing as the dragon and going around destroying towers...

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Dragon Commander is a prequel to the Divinity series, just like Original Sin is.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
As far as gameplay goes, is there an option to pause the combat to regain your bearings and decide what to do next? I suppose I'm curious if it is RTS-with-pause. Because it's very easy for me to get over my head with poo poo just constantly happening if I have to manage more than a person or two at a time.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I have to say though I loved the level of detail and the realpolitik flavour of the decisions the actual gameplay looked pretty bad. The units moved too slow but at the same time there was so much going on it could easily get out of hand.

It will no doubt be shined up a bit more and maybe if you're actually playing it it'd feel better I don't know. Just wasn't a huge fan of what I could see.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Schubalts posted:

Dragon Commander is a prequel to the Divinity series, just like Original Sin is.

Oh doh! Thanks for setting me straight. I thought Orignal is the prequel while Dragon commander is a sequel.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter - Update #12

Want to get Dragon Commander? Why not support Divinity: Original Sin at the same time (and get that game cheaper as well!)

quote:

Dragon Commander available as add-on

By (very) popular demand, we added a digital version of Dragon Commander as an add-on, available at $40. To include it in your pledge, click the "Manage Pledge" button and add 40$ to your pledge (just like with other pledges). Keep your selected reward tier. Once this Kickstarter is over, we will contact you so that you can specify what add-on(s) you wish to receive for the extra you have pledged.

The minimum pledge amount for this add-on is 25$. For more add-ons, visit the home page of our project (bottom of the page).

Find more information on the Dragon Commander website. Alternatively, you can have a look at this official trailer.

Zore posted:

Er, wouldn't tacking the addon to the $25 dollar tier get you less than the $65 tier which gets you two copies of Divinity: Original Sin and the soundtrack + extras?

That seems a bit poorly thought out. I guess if you're dropping money for a much higher tier it could make sense, but that is really steep for an addon. The $65 dollar tier seems like an okayish deal though.

Larian contractually can't sell it any less than $40. But yes, the $65 tier is great value!

Larian posted:

We have agreements in place for the price on Dragon Commander with various distributors and we cannot undercut them. We also think it's good value for money. The 65$ limited tier really was an exception.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 11, 2013

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter - Update #12

Want to get Dragon Commander? Why not support Divinity: Original Sin at the same time (and get that game cheaper as well!)

Er, wouldn't tacking the addon to the $25 dollar tier get you less than the $65 tier which gets you two copies of Divinity: Original Sin and the soundtrack + extras?

That seems a bit poorly thought out. I guess if you're dropping money for a much higher tier it could make sense, but that is really steep for an addon. The $65 dollar tier seems like an okayish deal though.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Zore posted:

The $65 tier started out as a mistake that they decided to roll with. It's also limited so late backers still can add Dragon Commander as an addon once it dries up, but yes for now if you're going to buy in nothing really seems to be better value than the $65 tier.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The release date will be July 2. System requirements has been announced:

quote:

Minimum system requirements:
  • Windows XP SP 3 (Windows 7 SP 1 recommended)
  • 2.6 GHz Core2 Duo E6600 or equivalent or better (i5 2400 or equivalent or better recommended)
  • 2 GB RAM (4 GB RAM recommended)
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GT (512 MB) or ATI™ Radeon™ HD 4850 or better (NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 550 ti 1GB ram or or ATI™ Radeon™ HD 6XXX or better recommended)
  • 15GB HDD space (30 GB recommended),
  • DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card, Mouse, Keyboard.

Here's some answers about auto-resolve and survival rate.

Auto-resolve:

Forktong posted:

The auto resolve in DC takes into account how much dmg your units do, how much hp they have, what upgrades they have... I don't know the details, but it's not "4 units win against 3 units yay". The map game should be fun in itself, cause it's based on a boardgame we made first, cards and countries and units and all.

Survival Rate:

Greever posted:

The current system (anything is open to change if it turns out too many ways to exploit it are found in beta):

You bring 10 troopers.
You build another 20 troopers.
You now have 30 troopers.
You lose 15 troopers.
You end the fight with 15 troopers.

Trooper survival rate of 50%.

Now that percentage is placed on the units you brought: 50% of 10 tanks = 5 tanks left on the (turn-based) strategy map.

This way you can never have more units left after the battle than you had before. The best you can do is 100% survival rate, which means all the units you brought survived and all the units you built survived.

Extra note: There is a survival rate per unit type. So you can lose all your troopers, keep half your hunters and have zero casualties on your juggernauts.

Any mercenary cards you bring in do not count for your survival rate, they only last for one battle.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I should have done this earlier, but since Larian is probably going to start updating the Dragon Commander website on Monday, now's a good time.

Dragon Commander: Meet the People

Yorick - Advisor, Undead Race
The ambassador of the undead, Yorrick is the man ('Hardly a man!', scoffs the dwarf) who safeguards the interests of his skeletal fellows aboard the Raven. Like all undead he is deeply religious, so as long as your decisions don't sin against the commandments of the Seven Gods, you should find Yorrick to be a congenial councillor, albeit a bit tiresome in his rather effusive piety.

Lohanna - Princess, Elf Race
Raised at the court of the elf king, princess Lohannah has always lived a sheltered life in strict accordance with the elf ways of old. Now she finds herself aboard the Raven amid the representatives and traditions of many other cultures and it will be up to you to try and make sure she doesn't abandon her own customs - like the elves will want you to - or to encourage her to become a more urbane person, and risk the ire of her kin.

Henry - General (Human)
Henry is a man of action; a general as loyal as he is brazen. Battle may have lost him an arm and an eye, but that has not diminished his lust for combat. You won't find another officer who doesn't admire Henry's military talents, but you probably won't find anyone who calls him a friend either. Arrogant and prone to fly solo, he is not what you would call the social type. If you do want to sit down for a chat with this old warhorse though, bring a bottle. He may not like you, but he'll like the moonshine.

(I also added some more points from the Twitch TV stream to the list above:

• There will be a way to surrender if you end up in a battle that you’re outmatched, but I don’t know the consequences of that, versus just having your entire force wiped out.
  • They're using the sneaky-little-bastard tactics the human beta-testers are discovering to teach the single-player AI how to fight like a sneaky-little-bastard as well.
  • The countries map wraps around, so you can send air/sea units over the side and have them pop out and attack a country from the other side.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Henry looks like an angry bionic commander Jean-Luc Picard. I like it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Lohanna has less meat on her bones than Yorick.

• Locked thread