Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'll be streaming this game for a few hours tonight here http://www.twitch.tv/chompstest.

If anyone was curious about this game come check it out! I'm playing this fresh out of the gate, I have not turned the game on before now. I've heard the tutorial isn't that great, so if anyone knows what they are doing wants to hang in the chat that would be great!

I'll be starting in about 45 minutes (7:00 Pacific, 10:00 Eastern). The stream is up now if you like listening to menu music and/or tutorial videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Since my stream went so well last night (at least TWO PEOPLE tuned and received minor to moderate entertainment) I'll be playing some more Dragon Commander tonight for people looking to check the game out!

http://www.twitch.tv/chompstest

I'll be starting in 20-30 minutes. That's around 7:00 - 7:10 Pacific time.

E: Ugh, Twitch still doesn't recognize Dragon Commander as a game to I have to pretend I'm playing Divinity: The Dragon Knight Saga

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 12, 2013

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Thank you to the few souls who showed up and watched my stream tonight, I think we all had fun! We'll continue the campaign with our new pretty princess elf next weekend, since I know people are busy during the week (and hopefully Twitch will actually recognize the game by then).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I think you guys are operating under a false assumption here, which is that a sequel to Dragon Commander would need to keep the all the technology as part of the setting. There is no reason they can't make a game just like it but set with standard fantasy tech. You don't need a steampunk airship or jet pack in order to wage war, play politics, or anything else the game is about.

Admittedly those things are pretty cool, but they aren't a requirement to the core features of the game in any way. And I think the guys and gals over at Larian are creative enough to whip up cool things in a fantasy setting to replace dragon jet packs.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Drifter posted:

That's so early on why wouldn't you just restart the game, or wait for a patch? Holy poo poo.

I'm pretty sure that only the first couple event are in a set order. You can tell which ones they are because they only modify racial popularity by 5% instead of the usual 10%. Once those are done all your events start popping up in a random order, so he could have been at any point in the game really.

Someone correct if I'm wrong, because I could be.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Even as someone who really likes this game I can admit that the RTS battles are probably the weakest part. And the lack of auto-cast really just makes you avoid activated abilities in favor of passive ones. I basically just get bunker busters and mustard gas because they are both powerful AOE effects with long cooldowns for units you won't have very many of. That way all I have to do is hotkey my dreadnaughts and zeppelins and not worry about anyone else beyond A-moving them. I can't imagine that anyone commonly makes use of more than two or three active abilities types during a battle unless they aren't using the dragon at all.

It's a loving rad game though and I love it. I don't regret the $40 it cost me one bit but I can also recognize flaws where they are apparent.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 28, 2013

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Phlegmish posted:

I must be a very simply-minded person, since I usually enjoyed the RTS battles and I'm normally not into that genre at all. It just felt right for me. Are some people really saying they didn't like using their dragon to help their main army win a pitched battle? I can barely fathom that.

I'm pretty sure that not one single person has complained about the dragon outside of saying that it's OP. What gets some people are the actual RTS mechanics, several of which are clunky or outdated.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

King Doom posted:

Has anyone who got in on the Beta and later bought the game been able to get the beta removed from steam? I remember someone in the thread talking about it and I'm wondering how it went because the steam support drone I'm talking too keeps telling me it isn't possible without removing the full game as well.

I suspect this is some kind of bug with Steam. I didn't have the beta for this game, but I did have the beta for Stardrive. For me "StarDrive Beta" disappeared when the game launched, but just this week has mysteriously reappeared and is hanging out in my Steam list.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
So, I swear I heard at one point that there was a difficulty level above "hard" (presumably "very hard"?). Is this true? And if so is the only way to unlock by finishing the game on hard first? I didn't see anything about it in the FAQ so maybe I'm just a crazy person.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

New Blog Entry from Swen in which he talks about the lessons he learned from Dragon Commander.

Man you report this like it's mixed news but in my book Larian making money from Dragon Commander and not giving a poo poo about retail is a double positive. Obviously the fact the they made money is good for those of us hoping for a sequel/spinoff, but I'm just as glad to hear they won't compromise future titles just to meet the demands of a distribution method I couldn't care less about and consider archaic. Even if it takes them longer and I'd rather wait for a better game. That's my opinion at least.

Also thanks for responding to my post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Dragon Commander was far from perfect but it was the only game I've ever played that really made it feel like you were the ruler of a nation during wartime. A lot of games, whether RPGs or strategy, have declared the player "king" or "emperor" when you're really just a glorified adventurer or general who has very little to do with politics at all. You quest or command like you do in any other game and it's obvious that you're a king in name only.

I see Dragon Commander as an experiment, and more importantly I think it's proved that this type of game is viable. Yes, it is flawed, but many games that pioneer a genre are flawed because they're breaking ground no one has tread before. Demon Souls was heavily flawed but it did something nobody had done before and it led to Dark Souls which was an enormous critical and financial success and one of my favorite games ever. Mount and Blade is an incredibly flawed title but it offered great fun in a way many of us had never seen before and Mount and Blade 2 will likely refine it something even better. Hell, The Elder Scrolls series was wonky adventure in game-breaking and potion shenanigans for several titles until Oblivion and Skyrim made it the juggernaut it is today.

The point I'm trying to make is that every game that does something truly unique is flawed, because the people making it have no example to follow. They are treading new ground. The original predecessors of many games we love today (Dark Souls, The Elder Scrolls, etc) were incredibly flawed, but they offered a new foundation for their successors to build upon. I'm hoping that Dragon Commander does the same thing for Larian (or if not them, whoever picks up the torch). Dragon Commander has flaws yes, but to me it's proved that a game that simulates all aspects of being a leader is viable, all it needs is refinement.

• Locked thread