Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there a decent newbie strategy guide for this game somewhere? Like of the "This dragon is good with this thing, research blue widgets right off for a boost if you pick a purple dragon" type thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I might reply to your post in more depth a little while, Drakyn (I'm a little under the weather now). The AI is quite good and aggressive on Hard mode. Turtling is in general not a good strategy, because your income is based on the number of Recruitment Centers you control.

Typically, if there are multiple countries in play, you should use your Dragon in the one with the lowest odds because the Dragon can turn it around easier than the generals or army can.

On Hard, the enemy is very good at using the units special abilities (once it researches them), and that can be hard to handle.

There is indeed. I was one of the people who worked on it.

Arg. For some reason I can't access steam community, so I can't read that (even reinstalling steam didn't help). edit: maybe it did now it works!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 3, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Drakyn posted:

Picked quite a few useful things out of this. That other guy sure liked imp fighters, didn't he? Personally, I'm vowing to pay more attention to my navy next time. Ironclads aside, every time I had a juggernaut I loved the damned thing, so I'm hoping to use them as more than giant autoresolve murderfists.

Yeah, it was a really good guide, thanks!

I tried a mix of both strategies and took out Act II faster than Act I. The real advantage of imp fighters is they can move from your home island to wherever the fight is in a single turn; because they're so mobile you don't need quite as many of them as that guy was talking about. Ironclads are very useful at first but the imp fighters are more versatile by far since they can also bolster your land units.

For the navy, the trick seems to be waiting till you get one of those "75% off naval units" cards. I used one of those to buy 11 Juggernaughts in a single turn.

Overall it seems like the dragon is most useful in the early phases when he can turn the tide of small battles, but later in the act when battles are larger he just gets toasted too fast and/or you lose track of the rest of the fight while dragoning (all your units get caught in a gas cloud, etc).

One thing I really, really don't have the hang of is using the dragon as a buffer/healer/troop protector.

I also really wish:

1) The game would auto-discard cards that give me upgrades I already have

2) my own troops could be set to auto fire their special abilities like the AI does.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 4, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

victrix posted:

So I skipped out on this when I heard about it because it sounded like something insanely ambitious and awesome (plus jetpack dragons) but no way in hell it could end up remotely good.

Did it?

In my experience it's fun for a couple playthroughs but it's no Starcraft or Warcraft or anything. On the other hand it's no Spore either -- it's a fun game that pretty much does what it says on the package, RTS with political elements and awesome jetpack dragon.

• Locked thread