Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Edit: wrong Divinity thread.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There is a tier on the D:OS Kickstarter that allows you to get both games + extra stuff for 65$. It's a pretty good deal, especially if you're in Europe, given the $:€ conversion rate.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That botched start was so hilarious and so typically Larian.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Swen's ending comment was great. The whole stream was hilarious, I'm glad I decided to watch. The graphics also looked impressive, especially the RPG part.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

How easy will it be to start up a multiplayer game? Will there be a sort of matchmaker service?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alright, I'm pre-emptively challenging all of you to a match.

My dragon could beat your dragon in a fight.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That looks good, though I'm a little afraid that I'll get overwhelmed at first. It seems to be very hectic, and I'm terrible at multitasking. Did they also let you play the roleplaying part? Did you manage to seduce the skeleton princess?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alright, I'm looking at it right now...basically, the add-on system for D:OS is online now, though most of the stuff 'isn't accepting input' yet? And it's through Larian Vault? Well, we'll talk about this in the D:OS thread. Going to see if I can figure out how to get access to the DC beta.

Edit: got the key, going to activate it on Steam.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 26, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm in. Anyone up for a match? There are only three dudes online, and two of them told me to leave their lobby because they were about to record a video.

Edit: one person online and I can't join his lobby because I don't have the same game version.

Second edit: zero people online :argh:

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 26, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Anyone interested in playing a campaign against the AI with me? You'll have to bear with me, because I haven't quite figured out how the cards work yet.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alright, are you hosting? I'll boot up my game and see if I can find you.

Edit: drat, lobby's full already.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

When is the new patch coming out? I would be interested in trying out part of the single-player campaign.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I restarted Steam, but I can't get the update to trigger. I'm still at version 1.0.101.9727.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Isn't that David's voice? That's right, I spent way too much time following the D:OS Kickstarter.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm almost certain that they used David's voice at one point, but I'm too lazy to investigate, so I'm going to assume you're right. Maybe it's for the best, I already know entirely too much about them.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So the match is in fifteen minutes? I'm tuning in to watch this.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm already learning new things. Build Hunters in the beginning, because they've got more movement points.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They're going to be giving away new beta keys later, so watch the stream if you're interested in that.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Only 9,968 keys left! Hurry!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's the Flemish national holiday tomorrow, but something tells me Swen & co. aren't going to be taking the day off.

Also, just 1,800 beta keys for DC left. Grab one while you still can. Here's the link again.

Mzbundifund posted:

Boy was I surprised when my two ironclads moving to intercept the single enemy transport in a water tile discovered that the water tile was actually a heavily industrialized island chain, and that the enemy transport was authorized to negotiate a mercenary contract with wizards in blimps.

It's all good as long as you don't forget your promise (:v:) to co-op D:OS with Bacter.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

:siren: Octaaf vs. Lorean rematch starting right now. :siren: Link here.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, it seems that they're really taking all of the feedback to heart and implementing changes at breakneck speed. I'm still more stoked for D:OS, for the simple reason that I'm an RPG fan, but it looks like DC is going to be a very polished and entertaining game at launch. Compare this to developers like Paradox, who routinely release half-broken games.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mozi posted:

I prefer to think of the character designs at a self-aware parody of a certain strain of traditional fantasy... even if really it's just a Belgian thing. Regardless, the gameplay looks to be shaping up quite nicely and I'm looking forward to them wrapping it up (so I can start hearing more about Original Sin again.)

Why would it be a Belgian thing? I think it's just that a lot of the developers at Larian are crusty middle-aged guys who think this is the way fantasy is 'supposed to be' since it's what they grew up with in the eighties. Part of it is wink-wink-nudge and it's better than Bioware's pandering, but it's still a bit ridiculous-looking and embarrassing.

I'm also anxious for it come out 1) so I can play it and 2) so we start getting updates on D:OS again.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

folgore posted:

I recall a talking well in Divinity 2 that practically orgasms when you throw a big sack of money down its GAPING SHAFT.

This is probably what you're referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCQO0sr7M4U&t=96s (edit: I only just noticed this was uploaded by Stabbey)

I really need to replay Divinity II one of these days. The voice acting is so good, and I had forgotten all about the well. I think there was something similar in Divine Divinity.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah, the concern I think is that because Dragon Commander is heavy on the politics (or appears to be) it can be hard to have your cake and eat it too. It's not easy to remain tongue in cheek while referencing real world issues of significance, and trying to be politically serious to some degree.

Tonal inconsistency is always lurking around the corner in Larian games, but I think they've matured a lot in that respect since DD.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 27, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lethial posted:

That reminds me, I need to finish divinity II as well, but I have lost my save, I got burnt out at the flying around as a dragon and take out many towers and bases section... How far was that till the end anyway?

That's around the halfway point, not even that if you count Flames of Vengeance. There's a lot of content you've missed out on.

My vote is for the text accompanying the avatar in the middle, by the way.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've tuned in. Looks like it has been going on for some time. Who's the guy that's playing?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The leader boards seem to consist of six people so far. Is that right? Those are some pretty good odds, maybe I should compete despite not being very good at multiplayer strategy games.

Edit: one of them is Octaaf. Come on, that's not fair.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm pre-loading the game right now. I had actually never heard of the concept of pre-loading before, and since it's taking a really long time I assume it's not simply synonymous with 'early download'.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I finally got around to playing DC today, I'm about to start Chapter III. The game is a lot of fun. At first I almost decided to use auto-resolve for battles, but I'm glad I didn't. It's so much fun to annihilate enemy troops with your dragon as your own (buffed) troops march on, especially in the later parts of the game. Plus, I definitely would have lost, you really need your dragon to turn those 20%-80% battles around. I was ridiculously outclassed on the strategic map at the beginning of Act II, and I'm not sure why. Even Red with their pitifully low number of provinces were constantly trolling me with their navy. I think I focused too much on buildings when I should have been pumping out units, I don't know.

Balancing the different racial factions is entertaining, and not as hard as I had imagined - everyone likes me except the Undead, whose approval rating is hovering around 50%. The voice-acting and writing are both fantastic, if usually somewhat over the top in typical Larian style. Unlike in most voice-acted games, I actually let them finish their delightfully British lines.
One 'problem' I have with the characters is that none of them seem to have any respect for me whatsoever. I'm supposed to be the Emperor and also a firebreathing dragon, yet everyone is constantly giving me lip and talking poo poo to my face. This continues throughout the game, and I'd like to have the option to dismiss them or at least tell them to shut the gently caress up. Catherine and Edmund in particular. The former is literally incapable of having a conversation without mentioning her burning hatred for men, the latter is an insufferable classist/elitist rear end in a top hat (though he does have his moments). It would be more of a dilemma if generals were at least useful, but they don't even seem to affect battles that much. Get off my ship, both of you.

As far as the main campaign's story is concerned, it seems a little generic so far and I can't say that I'm too immersed in it. I suppose it does the trick. Another minor complaint involves the bug that people here were mentioning before, when the game starts spamming 'That's impossible, commander!' over and over, causing my framerate to plummet to single digits. It seems to be related to Devastator positioning, as far as I can tell. That actually cost me a few battles, and I hope they patch it out as soon as possible.

I was one of those people who didn't care that much for the beta, not being into RTS games. Now that I've spent eight hours playing the final product, I've come to the conclusion that I actually do find the real-time battles to be a lot of fun, along with the turn-based and role-playing aspects. They managed to make these mesh fairly well, and it makes for a varied gaming experience. I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but this is a pleasant surprise either way.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

DrManiac posted:

[e] Though maybe I didn't finish her arc or something. She asked me for equal pay, suffrage for the skeleton ladies, and to end underage arranged marriages is that it?

She also asks you to get rid of a particular Dwarven custom at one point. As much as I wanted to spite her, I still had to agree on that occasion.

It makes sense that everyone talks back to you, the role-playing would be extremely boring if it were completely realistic. I just wish I myself could lash out from time to time. I am the divine Dragon-Emperor, stop insulting me to my face.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

To me she never really seemed like MRA propoganda, just angry that the world she lived in still had such basic problems. Instead of taking out her frustrations on other races like Edmund, or the concept of trust like Henry, or herself like Scarlett, she takes them out on the opposite gender. It's by no means good that she feels that way, but hey, everyone in the game is flawed and you've gotta deal with that.

No, she's a massive hypocrite. It would be fine if she was either consistently egalitarian or consistently sexist, but that's not the case. She's only 'angry' with the way things are in the DC world because it's a reversal of the supposed natural order where women are on top, and she states several times that men were seen as fit for nothing more than menial labor in her kingdom. She's not a good or reasonable person by any interpretation, and it's a bit frustrating that you can't really call her out on it - and that you let the NPC characters in general walk all over you.

Bastion and Steel Scales. Never fear another Imp Fighter :getin:

Blood Leech is probably the single best skill in the game. I decked out my dragon with all of the passive skills (to reflect my goony nature) and by the end of Act II I could often fly straight into an enemy base and start taking out their poo poo without dying.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 11, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Remember, you aren't a king born to privilege, you were raised in the boonies. it's natural to assume that people wouldn't take you seriously in the beginning. People do get more respectful as the game goes on, don't worry.

Yeah, I'm only half-serious when I complain about this. It would be extremely boring if things were realistic, with all of the characters keeping their thoughts to themselves and shuffling around demurely. The dragon commander is a pretty chill guy, all in all. If I were in his position I would have literally thrown half the councilors and generals off my ship.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Sorry mate, but in the Dragon Commander world, you ain't poo poo bud :colbert:

But...I am the titular Dragon Commander. :saddowns:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just finished the game. Act III was a little anti-climactic for me, since I was able to finish it in less than three hours. Without even intending to exploit the system, I started out with 500 gold and every unit upgrade researched. This contrasts with the beginning of Act II, where I really struggled to survive. If there's an anti-farming mechanic, I definitely didn't encounter it. I know they're going for continuity, but I think it would be better if they just capped your gold and research points, and kept the highest research tier off-limits.

Still a great game, though. Will be even beter once Devastators stop flipping out in every RTS battle. What's impossible?! I didn't even give you any orders you stupid fuckers, stop messing up my framerate.

Drifter posted:

What I'd like to see is a way to somewhat automate the special skills of the troops. I know you can highlight a group and, if they are the same, select the skill listed multiple times so it'll cycle through, but that's still waaaaay too micromanagy.

That would be nice. If I have to be honest, I didn't bother micromanaging my units at all. I just made a bunch of troops and sent them to the enemy while buffing them and taking out enemy units with my dragon. Seemed to work most of the time, but then again I was playing on Easy.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 11, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So uh, what's the cap? It was never an issue for me. Maybe they should lower it, I had about 500 gold at the end of Chapter II.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

In Chapter II? I'm sure I had 200 research points at one point, and I managed to research almost everything before entering Chapter III. It kind of ruins the tension when you start wrecking Corvus' poo poo almost immediately.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

Except, as I pointed out earlier, calling her out gets a confession out of her that she screwed up and shouldn't have done that. She does want to ban all forced political marriages. As for the focus on girls in the situation how often, Catherine's former nation aside, is a young boy given away in a political marriage? Boys tend to be the ones with the inheritance of power from the family; it's the girls who get moved around like chess pieces.

That's just it, her former nation aside. She didn't grow bitter from experiencing oppression firsthand, she actually comes from a very privileged position in an established matriarchy and is just mortified to find out that the 'natural order' is reversed in the DC world. The closest equivalent to her character in real life is probably a white supremacist complaining about the plaasmoorde in post-apartheid South Africa. She even uses very similar biotruthy rhetoric in order to justify her hateful ideology; men (blacks) are supposedly unfit to rule in civilized society due to their animalistic nature and inability to control their impulses. I think that's what makes her decisions interesting and frustrating at the same time; just like with the hypothetical white supremacist and the plaasmoorde, it's a serious problem that is unfortunately being brought up by a terrible person who is not really interested in equality at all. You have to choose between doing the right thing on one hand and the opportunity to spite them on the other hand.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Psssh by mid chapter 2 no war machine on Earth is capable of denting me, let alone tearing me apart handily :smug:

I find that imp fighters can still do a number on me if I don't take them out quickly.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

King Doom posted:

I'm in the same boat and even of the lowest setting I am not having fun at all.

I use this simple formula for most RTS battles:

1) Send out troops to all available Construction Sites (other than the one that the AI is sending all of his units to), build Battle Forge and other production buildings in the meantime
2) Spawn your dragon as soon as possible to keep your constructed Recruitment Citadels safe
3) Build troops until you can go on the offensive, along with your dragon

That's it. I'm terrible at tactics and I don't even bother to use troops' special abilities, but this is enough to make me win most battles even when I have a 20% chance on auto-resolve.

Bastion, Blood Leech, and Steel Scales. What negligible damage they can inflict is immediately leeched back.

My tricked-out dragon was almost invincible in Chapter III, but in one of the later battles a group of imp fighters really hosed me up before I could take them out. I was having framerate issues at the time (due to that incredibly irritating 'That's impossible, commander!' bug), but still. At least, I think it was the imp fighters that did me in. Makes sense, since they're strong against airborne units.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

I just got this game. I was in a battle doing my usual strategy of 'left click dudes down as a dragon while I build a massive loving army' when all of a sudden the game was just like YOU WIN IN 3 SECONDS CONGRATS and kicks me out of battle. I have no idea what happened. Both of us controlled about half the map and the battle had only been going on a couple of minutes.

It's probably because their troop strength was down to less than 11% of yours, especially if you were in the process of building a massive army. I've come across that victory condition a few times. Congratulations, you were winning so hard they just gave up.

• Locked thread