Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

RatHat posted:

Why would White bite her on the shoulder if he had a free hit? That seems pretty dumb.

The souls of living humans taste better to Hollows, right? Maybe he got hungry. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Guess the name Shirosaki for the inner hollow was right on the money.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Mendoza posted:

If that thing has the soul of a shingami then which shinigami? Kaien?

The hollow that possessed Kaien returned to hueco mundo to regenerate and was eaten by Aaroniero, which is how he was able to take on his form and abilities(and also had access to his memories) for the fight against Rukia in Hueco Mundo.

Schubalts posted:

The souls of living humans taste better to Hollows, right? Maybe he got hungry. :shrug:

Yeah I'm guessing he tried to bite Masaki because he's a hollow and eating people(or other hollows) is what they do.

The "White" bit is interesting though because Ichigo's hollow was always White, who itwas made from will hopefully be important though and not just a nameless shinigami.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Mendoza posted:

Isn't that later down the timeline? Rukia interracted with Kaien, but she doesn't know Ichigo's dad is a Shinigami, so that'd be weird. It's probably Captain Tuberculosis' soul.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Mangastream Bleach 532 is up. And calls him whitey. Oh boy.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Bleach Manga Thread 14: Don't Trust Whitey.

milktwice
Feb 15, 2012
I'm almost certain whoever's soul it is, they will in some way be related to the soul king. It might even be a part of the soul king himself, maybe Aizen was able to get hold of one his turds.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

SerSpook posted:

Also, it was mentioned in the last thread, but wasn't white the originally planned name for Bleach? Because that's kind of a cool reference if I remember that correctly.

Now I can't help but think he should have been called Bleach to bring us full circle or whatever.
But I guess to have the series named after someone who is not the main character or even the focus of the plot would cause problems.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Pah, Masaki can't even materialize her bow. She's rocking that energy arc poo poo that Uryuu had before he trained for Soul Society. She used it well, but it's clear she's pretty weak.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Danzou posted:

Pah, Masaki can't even materialize her bow. She's rocking that energy arc poo poo that Uryuu had before he trained for Soul Society. She used it well, but it's clear she's pretty weak.

Did you not see page 19 when she makes the equivalent of a reiatsu snub-nose revolver in her right hand and blasts Whitey in the face?

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
I really enjoyed the final page. Kubo made a character do something awesome without pulling new unxeplained powers from thin air. Even better, he used the a really basic ability which shouldn't deal a lot of damage to hollows as strong as Whitey.

And I think this is the first time in Bleach that serious but not lethal injuries actually matter in a battle. Was there another case like this?

I Love Annie May fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 3, 2013

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I don't think I've seen so many plot devices in one chapter in the history of Bleach.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lyrai posted:

How does Tousen know what color is?

Academic knowledge I guess. Just because he hasn't experienced it personally doesn't mean that he can't have read or been told that white is the purest color and black is the impurest, a result of mixing up lots of other colors. Sure, he can't verify it for himself, but he can still know it.

Genocyber posted:

To me, it looked like the thing stabbed her in the neck. Which is pretty much going for a free hit in my book.

He definitely bit her, you can see his teeth sinking in to her flesh on the top right panel of the final page.

Schubalts posted:

Yea, I figured this was the case as well. Given that he's already a hybrid spirit based on both hollow and Shinigami maybe he can increase his power or abilities by consuming those around him? Maybe that's what Aizen was hoping would happen? That he'd eat another Shinigami and gain their shikai. Maybe we'll see Hichigo go all Unit 01 later on in the arc and consume Aizen, Ywach or the Spirit King to defeat another one of those three. Masaki's soul might even be hanging round Hichigo's soul to guide him a la Evangelion given that this flashback raises the possibility Ichigo's inner hollow really did kill her and not Grand Fisher.

Mendoza posted:

I'm more curious if this means that Zangetsu was an actual Shinigami at some point? It's not like anyone else can see him to go "Hey, what the gently caress are you doing in that kid's soul dude? Didn't you die?". The only other two canon sword spirits I can recall seeing were both animals and not humans, so maybe Zangetsu is unusual in that regard and specifically because he really did used to be a Shinigami?

Also, I'm curious whether Ichigo's shikai/bankai would have been a dual blade one had Isshin not cut off one of the hollow's sword arms before whatever happens in the next few chapters to attach him to Masaki? And does the fact that Isshin can't use his bankai because it would put too much pressure on his already hurt body mean that it works in a similar manner to Ichigo's to increase speed enough to crack his bones if he's not careful?

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Tousen naming something Whitey... MangaStream, is there a joke there and if so are you making it or am I

EDIT: Also, given that Masaki is in a school uniform and Isshin is a shinigami, their age difference is potentially pretty substantial. That's pretty cute.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

tsob posted:

He definitely bit her, you can see his teeth sinking in to her flesh on the top right panel of the final page.

Yeah, looking at the chapter again, what I thought was a claw sticking in her neck was just one of its horns.

quote:

Also, I'm curious whether Ichigo's shikai/bankai would have been a dual blade one had Isshin not cut off one of the hollow's sword arms before whatever happens in the next few chapters to attach him to Masaki? And does the fact that Isshin can't use his bankai because it would put too much pressure on his already hurt body mean that it works in a similar manner to Ichigo's to increase speed enough to crack his bones if he's not careful?

I doubt it's speed. Given the whole fire-motif that's been hinted at, I'd guess if it is some sort of boost, it'd be power-based.

Swillkitsch posted:

Tousen naming something Whitey... MangaStream, is there a joke there and if so are you making it or am I

EDIT: Also, given that Masaki is in a school uniform and Isshin is a shinigami, their age difference is potentially pretty substantial. That's pretty cute.

She looks older than that, though. I think her being in a school uniform is more just to make her reminiscent of Orihime.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Swillkitsch posted:

Yeah, but actual age seems pretty drat flexible when it comes to Shinigami. You can pretty much consider them the age they look, so Isshin could be considered to be in his early twenties. I assume Masaki is a third-year in high school since I don't see any definitive markings on her uniform, so she'd be around 18.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Wasn't there some Shinigami that looked like a black haired Ichigo or was that an anime filler arc?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

SirDan3k posted:

Wasn't there some Shinigami that looked like a black haired Ichigo or was that an anime filler arc?

Kaien, Ukitake's old vice-captain. Definitely not filler. He was also a Shiba, like Ichigo apparently is.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
You have to remember that ghost ages are completely meaningless. Yamamoto's 1000+ years essentially a very emphatic way of saying he has been around for a long time. The ghosts' ages are all over the place, but instead of acknowledging this everyone acts their visible age. Isshin was in his ghost 20's 20 years ago and now he is in his human 40's. By contrast, most of the other captains haven't changed at all even between tbtp and the present.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

You have to remember that ghost ages are completely meaningless. Yamamoto's 1000+ years essentially a very emphatic way of saying he has been around for a long time. The ghosts' ages are all over the place, but instead of acknowledging this everyone acts their visible age. Isshin was in his ghost 20's 20 years ago and now he is in his human 40's. By contrast, most of the other captains haven't changed at all even between tbtp and the present.

That's among the most inconsistent aspects of Bleach, along with the whole population growth and children in spirit world stuff.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I wonder if fans at the convention appearances Kubo's been at have ever thought to ask him about these things in person? What would he say? Or would he just shrug and be Kubo about it?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I think Isshin aged like a normal human after losing his powers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

I think Isshin aged like a normal human after losing his powers.

Isshin was a ghost in a gigai. The gigai aged, but so far there is no reason why Isshin did as well.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Come to think of it, the explanation about losing his powers was unnecessary. I think apparent age for Soul Reapers generally reflects mental age. It makes sense that raising children would make Isshin older.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

pseudonordic posted:

Guess the name Shirosaki for the inner hollow was right on the money.

That's really clever. Ha. I would've never thought about that. Did someone make that prediction at some point?

Swillkitsch posted:

Twilight has taught us that borderline pedophilia is okay if the older male has supernatural abilities.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

tsob posted:

Academic knowledge I guess. Just because he hasn't experienced it personally doesn't mean that he can't have read or been told that white is the purest color and black is the impurest, a result of mixing up lots of other colors. Sure, he can't verify it for himself, but he can still know it.
And that's why Tousen's on Team Evil Smug, because a simple shift of perspective reveals white is all the colors together (as a prism reveals) and black is the absence of color. :science: Also, isn't white associated with death in Japan (and most of East Asia)?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Omglosser posted:

That's really clever. Ha. I would've never thought about that. Did someone make that prediction at some point?

Twilight has taught us that borderline pedophilia is okay if the older male has supernatural abilities.

It isn't any more insightful than Hichigo or Ogihci or any other silly fan name for an unnamed character. All it ever meant was that Kurosaki fought an all-white version of himself.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

pseudonordic posted:

Did you not see page 19 when she makes the equivalent of a reiatsu snub-nose revolver in her right hand and blasts Whitey in the face?

Kill Whitey

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Isshin was a ghost in a gigai. The gigai aged, but so far there is no reason why Isshin did as well.

Maybe if a ghost stays within a gigai for a prolonged period of time the ghost will age with the gigai?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Omglosser posted:

It was a fan name for the inner hollow. Kuro means black and shiro means white. So Kurosaki -> Shirosaki. Black and white.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Soul Society forms a new task force called the Black Panthers to take down this demon, Whitey.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
The patience Aizen has for Tousen is pretty amazing. Yeah, Gin wanted to kill Aizen the whole time, but at least Gin was fun to hang out with. Tousen is always spouting off about pure beings and justice and "I will eliminate them." It makes me wonder how Aizen and Tousen got together in the first place. Yeah he is the only blind man in Soul Society making him immune to Aizen but at some point you would think Aizen would get annoyed to a point where he just decides it wasn't working out and kill him.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Batmasterson posted:

The patience Aizen has for Tousen is pretty amazing. Yeah, Gin wanted to kill Aizen the whole time, but at least Gin was fun to hang out with. Tousen is always spouting off about pure beings and justice and "I will eliminate them." It makes me wonder how Aizen and Tousen got together in the first place.

He likely gets along with Tousen in the same way a person gets along with an overly excitable puppy. "No, stop, bad Tousen. Stop peeing on the couch"

Or he gets some twisted enjoyment out of having Mr. "Pure and Justice" following him, which makes it all worth it.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

They both believe that the existence of the Soul King is an injustice.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Yea, they both wanted to remake/destroy the foundations of Soul Society. Tousen, because Soul Society let his friend's murderer get off scott free (twice: he killed a comrade and later killed her). Aizen, because he's Aizen.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I always wish Gin and Tousen got more showings. Gin never had a full-featured, serious fight throughout the whole series.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Schubalts posted:

murderer get off scott free (twice

Did we ever find out who this murderer was? I don't think Tousen could have just killed him without arousing some very obvious suspicion.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

I don't think we got anything other than that he was the husband of Tousen's friend.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

I'd imagine Tousen spent most of his time with Espada 8 working on crap and spouting crazy poo poo back and forth with each other while Gin spent most of his time taunting Barragan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Watch this space for more Bleach release-related material.

That is all... for now.

EDIT: Anything Jerkface tells you is a lie.

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 5, 2013

• Locked thread