Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

VJeff posted:

Isshin is from the "branch" family of the Shiba clan, not the "main" family, whatever that means.

I think it means a cadet line, a family descended from a second son or something. So they have the same surname but the titles won't come to them unless all the main family die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Lintwhite posted:

I'd totally endorse a spin-off of this but I'm imagining it like a wacky sitcom where all three live together. Watch as Isshin and Ryuuken navigate their way through med school while Masaki cheers them on! And you can't forget the Very Special Chapter where Masaki goes into labor in the middle of the night and both Ryuuken and Isshin elbow each other out of the way to help her: "Don't worry, I'm a doctor." "You're just an intern!" Cue the laugh track :allears:

Well, Kubo does enjoy training arcs.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

It isn't possible to tell for certain. But having a new event call back to an earlier event which originally had nothing to do with the new event is just something that happens with serial fiction. Claiming that everything was part of some master plan from the start is just silly. Kubo isn't Aizen.

My point is, the writing process is a lot more organic than simply making an incredibly lengthy outline and then following it to the letter.

Also, learning to improvise and inserting possible plot hooks for later use are standard techniques in serial fiction. I once read something by Neil Gaiman about re-reading Dickens after writing comics and seeing him do the same thing. There's three artists with nothing in common.

Reading the recent chapters, and how they're a) better than usual and b) link way back to old plot points, makes me think Kubo planned the series from the beginning fairly tightly, but it deviated from the plan and got worse. Aizen and the importance of Soul Society/Hueco Mundo being deviations, the hypothetical plan being much more based in Karakura town, and Kubo's struggling to reconcile the plan with what he wrote.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Shugojin posted:

The only redeeming part of Hitsugaya is how much fun Rangiku is going to make of him when he finally hits Ghost Puberty in like 50-100 years (assuming they both live (which they pretty much will))

When he hits puberty? Have you seen him lately? He's running around squirting white stuff from his sword - with Matsumoto's help, too. Boy's a man.

• Locked thread