Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Anyone else going to the QotSA + Primus show next Tuesday in KC? I'm not sure which band I'm more excited for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
My alarm woke me up late so I got to the show late last night. I'm bummed because their second song was Avon which is my all time favorite of theirs, but I did get an unexpected treat. They played "The Fun Machine Took A poo poo! And Died" and I lost it. No one else in the place seemed to have any idea what was going on. Whatever, it was still great!

Nyx
Mar 24, 2006

Like some cat from Japan
If you're talking about the St. Paul show, I was also very surprised how many people just stood there with blank stares when TFMTASAD got played. Still an awesome show despite Josh saying he was feeling under the weather.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Nyx posted:

If you're talking about the St. Paul show, I was also very surprised how many people just stood there with blank stares when TFMTASAD got played. Still an awesome show despite Josh saying he was feeling under the weather.

Yeah, I like to rock out but I went to the Frankie Teardrop show on Sunday and am sore as hell from giving myself the equivalent of a full body workout in about 20 minutes. All the same, I rocked hard and couldn't believe it was happening. I'll get a chance to see Avon again I'm sure, but never The Fun Machine...

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I saw them Wednesday and when Josh said "here's one we don't play very often" the crowd went wild. Then they played "The Fun Machine..." and it was clear nobody in the theater had ever heard it before. When the song finished he thanked the crowd for getting into it by the end because it hasn't been getting a reaction at shows.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
Fun Machine used to be my favorite QOTSA song. I believe I Appear Missing has some elements from it, notably drum fills and breaks that sound quite similar, has anyone noticed that?

Now to catch them this year as well...

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

White Rabbit posted:

Fun Machine used to be my favorite QOTSA song. I believe I Appear Missing has some elements from it, notably drum fills and breaks that sound quite similar, has anyone noticed that?

Absolutely. Glad to hear I was not the only one thinking this. I Appear Missing feels like a sequel, or a continuation of the themes in Fun Machine.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I saw them on Monday in Providence, and while the venue wasn't great for them, they put on a killer show. The Providence Performing Arts Center was just more of a place to see plays than actual concerts, so there were rows and reserved seats pretty much exclusively. They played a ton of Era Vulgaris stuff, which was a pleasant surprise.

Also, is anyone going to their big show in LA on Halloween? It seems kind of insane:

I already got my ticket!

sout
Apr 24, 2014

This would be a nice time to live in LA, or the US for that matter. Will be seeing them at Reading Festival in August though, and did get to see Josh's solo gig in London where he premiered "Villains of Circumstance."

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

SRM posted:

I saw them on Monday in Providence, and while the venue wasn't great for them, they put on a killer show. The Providence Performing Arts Center was just more of a place to see plays than actual concerts, so there were rows and reserved seats pretty much exclusively. They played a ton of Era Vulgaris stuff, which was a pleasant surprise.

Also, is anyone going to their big show in LA on Halloween? It seems kind of insane:

I already got my ticket!

Oh hey, I was there too! Yeah, it was a really great show. Barry Dalle (the opening band) was really bad, but Queens themselves were great. PPAC is definitely not really built for a concert, but the design really helped the bass and the acoustics out; my friend and I's ears were muffled for a good 20 minutes after the show.
There was also some rear end in a top hat in front of us who kept randomly throwing his arms out in the air, grabbing his hat, doing it again, putting his hat back on, putting his arms out. Was getting real tired of it.

Best part of the show was apparently Josh's brother was in the crowd, tripping, and Josh pointed him out twice saying he was hosed out of his mind.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Brody Dalle was great I thought, but different strokes I guess. If I recall correctly he's been helping her write songs lately, or at least they're pushing her occasionally on the QOTSA Facebook page. The sound was awesome at PPAC though, without a doubt. It's just hard to dance or whatever at a rock show when there's designated seating.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

SRM posted:

Brody Dalle was great I thought, but different strokes I guess. If I recall correctly he's been helping her write songs lately, or at least they're pushing her occasionally on the QOTSA Facebook page.
I think they encourage each other, but that's about it.

He liked the The Vampyre of Time and Memories but wasn't sure it would belong on a Queen's album. She encouraged him to put it on.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

SRM posted:

Brody Dalle was great I thought, but different strokes I guess. If I recall correctly he's been helping her write songs lately, or at least they're pushing her occasionally on the QOTSA Facebook page. The sound was awesome at PPAC though, without a doubt. It's just hard to dance or whatever at a rock show when there's designated seating.

I was digging them at first, but honestly after the third song it sounded like she was playing the same thing over and over, plus I don't really like the whole Paramore-sounding lead singers, so yeah, to each his own. The drummer was pretty cool, though.

But yeah, with a band with songs as danceable as Queens, it's a real shame there was no room to dance. You could practically see the whole crowd rotating their hips, trying to dance as much as they could.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
What is your favorite QOTSA song, and why is it "You Would Know"?

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

vandalism posted:

I see/hear hardcore fans talking about this song occasionally, and I don't really get it. It's certainly closer to the bottom of my list than the top.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

vandalism posted:

I've always been partial to better living through chemistry. I love the guitars in that song.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

vandalism posted:

I guess it's pretty reviled amongst the fan base, but I'm actually gonna have to go with Fun Machine.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Both album versions of born to hula, even though ive never heard it live.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

vandalism posted:

My God is the Sun is really climbing the list.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Pirate Jet posted:

I guess it's pretty reviled amongst the fan base, but I'm actually gonna have to go with Fun Machine.

Is it really reviled? That song's been growing on me since I saw them play it live in December.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

"You Would Know" has a really good breakdown that I can see getting fully taken advantage of live

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

SRM posted:

Is it really reviled? That song's been growing on me since I saw them play it live in December.

I've heard nothing but bad things about it from other fans, but I love it. :shrug:

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I've actually loved Fun Machine since the first time I heard it. Even the original version which doesn't have that swing-time bridge/solo section. I saw them live in NY on Wednesday and Fun Machine might have been my favorite song of the night (although it was also great to see Better Living Through Chemistry live).

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

I've always been partial to better living through chemistry. I love the guitars in that song.

Easily my favorite song of theirs! Nice.

The new album is exceptionally solid though, I need to listen to it more before should pick favorites.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I can't think of a bad track on ...Like Clockwork, and I've been listening to it regularly for over a year now. The title track is something I need to be in the mood for and Fairweather Friends is merely okay to me, but there's not a track on that album I don't enjoy.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Can't say I could really pick a favourite, I tend to listen to the albums in one go (as I do with most music, given I have to take a long-ish bus so often). Still, there's not many songs I regularly skip, though I can't say I can often bring myself to listen to the last five minutes of "I Think I Lost My Headache"

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

sout posted:

Can't say I could really pick a favourite, I tend to listen to the albums in one go (as I do with most music, given I have to take a long-ish bus so often). Still, there's not many songs I regularly skip, though I can't say I can often bring myself to listen to the last five minutes of "I Think I Lost My Headache"

But that's the best part.

toot TOOT, TOOT toot

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Haven't listened to it in a while but I'm pretty sure they just start squeezing air out of balloons at one point.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

SRM posted:

I can't think of a bad track on ...Like Clockwork, and I've been listening to it regularly for over a year now. The title track is something I need to be in the mood for and Fairweather Friends is merely okay to me, but there's not a track on that album I don't enjoy.

Yeah same, it’s probably the most repeated album I’ve had for ages. I’d really struggle to pick tracks I consider weak, I really love it from start to finish.

After Vampyre and Like Clockwork I really want them to have a shot at a Bond theme.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
My favourite qotsa tracks in no particular order:

Misfit Love
Tangled up in Plaid
I Never Came
I Appear Missing
Someone's in the Wolf
Sky is Fallin'
My God is the Sun
Mosquito Song

gently caress I love this band.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

That mournful guitar wail in I Appear Missing is something else.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

Crackerman posted:

That mournful guitar wail in I Appear Missing is something else.

I think it's my favorite qotsa song, it's haunting

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

CaptainJuan posted:

Both album versions of born to hula, even though ive never heard it live.
Love 'em too. Isn't the rumor that Josh dislikes it and that's why he doesn't play it live anymore?

I can't comprehend any bad word said against The Fun Machine Took A poo poo And Died. It's almost like saying that you don't like the band.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

mkay0 posted:

I think it's my favorite qotsa song, it's haunting

Yeah it’s become one of mine. That track in particular is creepy as poo poo when you take into account what Josh went through before the album was made.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Goddamn, that was a hell of a show.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Troy Van Leeuwen not wearing a baseball pinstripe suit, immersion ruined.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Holy gently caress that's a sweet poster

Edit: oh it's just a baseball card, that's still pretty cool though

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Crackerman posted:

After Vampyre and Like Clockwork I really want them to have a shot at a Bond theme.

If anyone's going to do a Bond theme it's Muse.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

If anyone's going to do a Bond theme it's Muse.

Puuuuuuuuke. That idea might have been exciting when this was Muse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo7OegTKN8E but today? No loving thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Even well-past-his-prime Chris Cornell did a good Bond theme, so I think just about anyone could with the right direction.

• Locked thread