Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beardless Riker
Apr 14, 2005

Bitch I'm all digital why do I have to wait til midnight to preorder this on iTunes??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome
Oh man, My God Is The Sun is so loving good. My wife is going to hate me and this song from having it play on permanent loop until the album comes out.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Reinanigans posted:

I need a poster of this yesterday.

Here's a 4898x4898 jpg you could rasterbate all over your wall if you felt like it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kaboobi posted:

Alain Johannes posted in the Youtube comments there that Dave played it correctly (how it was originally played) to correct someone else and I can't stop laughing at that.

After watching Sound City I just decided Grohl was a grumpy old man who didn't know what he was talking about so I just assumed he didn't know how to play the song. I guess I was wrong. :negative:

Just so we're clear he's a great guy, amazing drummer, I just got sick of the "digital is ruining music but it's okay if Reznor uses it because he's an artist" bullshit the doco spouted

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Handen posted:

Here's a 4898x4898 jpg you could rasterbate all over your wall if you felt like it.

Oh wow. Rasterbate. There's a word I haven't thought of since college.

Thank you for this!

edit: I'm fairly positive no official lyrics have been posted, but the ones I've found online just don't seem right. Anyone have any idea if the actual lyrics are anywhere to be found?

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 9, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

tomm posted:

:siren: My God Is The Sun is up. :siren:

It's very nice sounding.

Oh baby :flashfap:

It's been far too long since the last really great Queens song. This owns.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm rock hard and ready. Come at me Josh.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
please tell me they are touring the US this summer

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
They already have confirmed select festival dates, so yes. 100% chance of a North American tour.

Knowing QOTSA they will tour this album for 3 loving years too.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

nuncle jimbo posted:

please tell me they are touring the US this summer

The one-word reply we got from the official Facebook was "soon" for the USA and UK, so I'm presuming maybe after the summer and all those festivals are over or something

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I saw them during the Era Vulgaris tour. It was maybe my third or fourth concert ever. I drove up about 4 hours to see them with my closest friends. It was in Orlando, so we also went to Universal Studios before the show. It was my first and only mosh pit experience. I got a bottle thrown at my head, my friend had his glasses knocked off and crushed, another friend lost his shoes in the pit.

It was loving magical and I cannot wait to see them again. Probably not in the pit, though.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Reinanigans posted:

I saw them during the Era Vulgaris tour. It was maybe my third or fourth concert ever. I drove up about 4 hours to see them with my closest friends. It was in Orlando, so we also went to Universal Studios before the show. It was my first and only mosh pit experience. I got a bottle thrown at my head, my friend had his glasses knocked off and crushed, another friend lost his shoes in the pit.

It was loving magical and I cannot wait to see them again. Probably not in the pit, though.

No, sorry sir, we're going to recreate that day from start to finish.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I know, I know, youtube comments and all that, but quite a few people are down on this song.

idgi it owns a lot :confused:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Manoueverable posted:

I know, I know, youtube comments and all that, but quite a few people are down on this song.

idgi it owns a lot :confused:

They're not real fans :colbert:

Bliggers- posted:

They already have confirmed select festival dates, so yes. 100% chance of a North American tour.

Knowing QOTSA they will tour this album for 3 loving years too.

God, I hope they come to New Orleans. I've never seen them live but I have a feeling they put on a killer live show :allears:

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
I was going to say you guys will not believe the sheer number of children and first time concert goers at a qotsa show, but it turns out some of you are in that same group.

It's somewhat cute. You guys aren't teenagers or something right? gently caress I feel old.

Please don't mosh or crowdsurf, that poo poo ain't cool.

falconry
Oct 9, 2012

Bliggers- posted:

You guys aren't teenagers or something right?

Is 20 close enough? Telling people not to mosh or crowdsurf does sound pretty :corsair: to me.

But man, if the rest of the album is as good as that track, it might be the saving grace in what has so far been a year of disappointing album releases. For me, at least.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bliggers- posted:

I was going to say you guys will not believe the sheer number of children and first time concert goers at a qotsa show, but it turns out some of you are in that same group.

It's somewhat cute. You guys aren't teenagers or something right? gently caress I feel old.

I'm 22. Been to a number of concerts before. I don't mosh or crowdsurf, just enjoy the music :v:

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
Looking at that artwork and thinking about what someone in this thread said about the Q looking better inverted, if you did that with this then there would be a bloodyish substance coming from her eyes. Cool.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
Noticed the Q sperm logo on the skulls forehead right away

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm 22. Been to a number of concerts before. I don't mosh or crowdsurf, just enjoy the music :v:

why do you hate fun

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
I've given the new song a few listens and it sounds fine, but not amazing. It doesn't plod like some other of Homme's weaker tracks, but there isn't a lot grab onto here. Melody sounds a little off, guitar sounds fine but there isn't a great riff to groove to.

Going to keep trying but it sounds fine but definitely not top tier Homme.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Besson posted:

I've given the new song a few listens and it sounds fine, but not amazing. It doesn't plod like some other of Homme's weaker tracks, but there isn't a lot grab onto here. Melody sounds a little off, guitar sounds fine but there isn't a great riff to groove to.

Going to keep trying but it sounds fine but definitely not top tier Homme.

No good riff? I know taste is subjective, but that's the best part of the song.

Also, I'll be 26 next month, so not super young. :v:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

tomm posted:

Looking at that artwork and thinking about what someone in this thread said about the Q looking better inverted, if you did that with this then there would be a bloodyish substance coming from her eyes. Cool.

That little bit of blue makes a huge difference, because if it were red, this would look straight out of the "Go With The Flow" video.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Bliggers- posted:

I saw them on the Songs For The Deaf tour and the front was crammed with kids while the support band was on. Then the rest of the crowd started to get... taller. Queens came on and launched into Millionaire, you can guess what happened, and when the song ended there was a steady stream of kids getting the hell out of there

Beardless Riker
Apr 14, 2005

I'm sorry if you're a child, but children do not belong at a qotsa show. You will be murdered.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
They've been one of my favorite bands for over a decade, and I have never seen them live. Ridiculous, and I hope to fix that very soon.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
I saw Nick's second last show. He looked miserable as hell, but the setlist was full of weird fan-service poo poo, such as The Bronze, You're So Vague and Precious and Grace. Cool show, but there was definitely some weird vibes going on. Nick even kept his shirt on.

I was also at the Big Day Out show that was featured on the DVD. Seeing Grohl to side of the stage air drumming was cool as hell.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Bliggers- posted:

Calgary, April 10th 2005. I was 18, high as a motherfucker, and ended up crowdsurfed to Long Slow Goodbye. Josh made a comment after that if you can crowdsurf to that, you can crowdsurf to Lawrence loving Welk. I have the bootleg of that show and will never tire of listening to that bit.

tomm posted:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 10, 2013

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Handen posted:

[image snip]

The red through the Q looks pretty cool.

I'm fearing that I've listened to MGITS a little too much already, need to cool it so I don't burn out on the track before the album even comes out :ohdear:

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
Can't wait for this.

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

it's only falling in love because you hit the ground
Looking at the setlists of the festivals they've been playing I'm kind of disappointed that they've been playing the same one over and over again. Think this is just because of the new line-up and getting them up to speed with all the songs? Because I hope when they start touring venues in Europe there's a more diverse set of tracks.

Then again, speaking of playing the same thing over and over again.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FSFunky posted:

Looking at the setlists of the festivals they've been playing I'm kind of disappointed that they've been playing the same one over and over again. Think this is just because of the new line-up and getting them up to speed with all the songs? Because I hope when they start touring venues in Europe there's a more diverse set of tracks.

Then again, speaking of playing the same thing over and over again.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Tough to say for now, since there's only been one full setlist thus far. The second one I've seen included the same songs as the first one, plus a few more. I think the only thing that's certain is an absence of self-titled album stuff; IIRC Josh said playing all those songs for that album re-release tour made them sick, sick, sick of it.

I'll add two things, 1) obviously the new drummer, and 2) I think they generally just play the "hits" as they were during the shorter Festival shows.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I like knowing there are 9 new QOTSA songs that I'll be hearing soon. No need to spill all the beans.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

echronorian posted:

I like knowing there are 9 new QOTSA songs that I'll be hearing soon. No need to spill all the beans.

This, as excited as I am I'd like to have more surprises come release day. I can't resist listening to poo poo when it's on Youtube so I'd rather it just wasn't there.

BreakingBadly
Mar 23, 2013
Really excited for this album, as many people afore have mentioned, My God is The Sun is the best single they have released in years. It reminds me a little of Go With The Flow, which is no bad thing, combined with a sorta Turnin' on the Screw vibe.

With all the component parts, there is no way that this album can fail!

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
I'm eagerly anticipating more Desert Sessions.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

TheKingPuuChuu posted:

I'm eagerly anticipating more Desert Sessions.
I think the closest we're going to come to that in the near future is the Sound City Players.

And...a negative review already. A journalist in France posted this early, quick review on the rekordsrekords forum:

quote:

Got the press streaming last night, listened to it twice, first was awful, second was a bit better. Listening to it now and it's a bit of a cringe fest. So much downtempo, not enough rock'n roll.

quote:

For the time being, the only songs I kinda like more or less are: If I Had A Tail (I like the weird Roxy Music vibe), My God Is The Sun and Smooth Sailing. I appear missing isn't bad but nothing fantastic either, and too repetitive, which is something that I found myself thinking too many times while listening to the album.
Featurings are indeed not in your face at all, more on the "Lanegan-on-"River in the Road"" side of things. I think Jake Shears is probably the one we hear the most.
It is a bit... soft, I'm afraid. And I find myself a tad bored.
I've got to listen to it in better sound conditions.
Plus so many slow songs, for gently caress's sake. I just can't stand closing this album on a piano and falsetto number going weirdly philarmonic and going back to piano/falsetto.
Needless to say, I'm not in the brightest mood :(

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Based on that review it sounds like this album is less Era Vulgaris and more Lullabies to Paralyze.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I really like QOTSA gentle tracks like make it witchu and Auto Pilot. I think it's lovely to review things against your expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Has anyone yet considered that if QotSA's God is the Sun, does that not also mean that the Sun is in the Radio?

• Locked thread