Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
Pretty fun way of freaking out your friends but totally not what it's meant for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I wish I knew a way to record that, as the phone call would be interesting to hold on to. But I figure someone has to have recorded it already, hopefully.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
Here is a 30 second clip of "I Appear Missing". Was a promo on Adult Swim last night, apparently.

Sounds quite Lullabies-ish as expected. Sounds nice as hell.

Part at 0:24 gave me a nice little Fun Machine vibe.

Tychtrip fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 6, 2013

falconry
Oct 9, 2012

Tychtrip posted:

I Appear Missing

I think I like this. A lot. Is this what the text was telling us to return for on May 6th?

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

falconry posted:

I think I like this. A lot. Is this what the text was telling us to return for on May 6th?

Yeah, I believe the QOTSA Twitter or Facebook page said the full clip would be posted on likeclockwork.tv in the evening. I'll replace the link when it's up.

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy
Antiquiet review of the album is up.

http://www.antiquiet.com/reviews/2013/05/queens-of-the-stone-age-bleed-burn-and-thrive-on-like-clockwork/

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Tychtrip posted:

Here is a 30 second clip of "I Appear Missing". Was a promo on Adult Swim last night, apparently.

Expectations at an all-time high right now... Might have to finally pre-order this beast.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 6, 2013

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy
3 minute trailer for "I Appear Missing" (album version is 6 minutes long)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9OfBcjyxKY

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

mia2000 posted:

This is insanely loving good. The music, the video...all of it.

Anyone else getting somewhat of a Radiohead vibe from the song itself? The melodic parts and lyrics sound like they'd fit right in on OK Computer

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

whatis posted:

This is insanely loving good. The music, the video...all of it.

Anyone else getting somewhat of a Radiohead vibe from the song itself? The melodic parts and lyrics sound like they'd fit right in on OK Computer

I've always felt that Josh is a huge fan. Definitely getting that vibe here.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I was trying to get a friend to get the phone call because she was out of the country, but that's obviously not going to happen now. Has anyone found something like a YouTube video or Soundcloud copy of the phone call? My searches have turned up nothing yet.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

mia2000 posted:

Holy poo poo this is great :getin:

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

mia2000 posted:

I don't regret my Deluxe Double LP preorder a bit.

It's a lot different from anything we've heard before, except for maybe Lullabies to Paralyze, but it works. QOTSA has always been extremely good at changing up their style with every record, which in my opinion is a good thing.

Josh's voice on this track just sounds incredible, especially during the chorus. I didn't totally dig what he was doing with it in some places on Era Vulgaris, but this is such a step in the right direction for my ears.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

IUG posted:

I was trying to get a friend to get the phone call because she was out of the country, but that's obviously not going to happen now. Has anyone found something like a YouTube video or Soundcloud copy of the phone call? My searches have turned up nothing yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXlrMHF-wwE

BreakingBadly
Mar 23, 2013
I love this song, hopefully the other 3 minutes are just as brilliant.

Cannot wait for the album, thought Era Vulgaris was underrated, but not at their brilliant best, with these 2 songs, all signs point torwards an album that will meet my high expectations!

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

quote:

The most straightforward composition on the record, Smooth Sailing slaps you in the face with ten menacing inches of ginger dick.

I don't even know what to say. What a review.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I loving love the new song. Holy crap.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Low Desert Punk posted:

It's a lot different from anything we've heard before, except for maybe Lullabies to Paralyze, but it works. QOTSA has always been extremely good at changing up their style with every record, which in my opinion is a good thing.

QOTSA's always had a dark side, but there's always been a lot of baked-in sarcasm or playfulness. This song though...yeah, totally different. It's grimdark as hell, but not in a dumb or exaggerated way. It's very visceral, and I loving dig it. It doesn't hurt that the art style they've chosen to go along with it fits perfectly. I hope we get more of these sorts of videos, because this one is insanely good.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Christ, even though it's just half of the full song, it sounds magnificent. I don't know if TCV's twangy darkness rubbed off on him or it's just part of the "near death experience" Josh references in some interview but the vibe is great. Really love the lyric "it's only falling in love because you hit the ground" or something along that line.
Some RekRek reviewer person referred to this song as one of the "lame duck ballads" but now I know she was full of poo poo because this sounds fantastic.

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW

MinibarMatchman posted:

Christ, even though it's just half of the full song, it sounds magnificent. I don't know if TCV's twangy darkness rubbed off on him or it's just part of the "near death experience" Josh references in some interview but the vibe is great. Really love the lyric "it's only falling in love because you hit the ground" or something along that line.
Some RekRek reviewer person referred to this song as one of the "lame duck ballads" but now I know she was full of poo poo because this sounds fantastic.

Well keep in mind somebody aaaaalways has to throw the bucket of poo poo on the fun parade.

I was set to just buy this album when it came out because I figured I was patient enough but holy poo poo this new track got me to preorder. God I'm so weak :negative:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mr. Samuel Shitley posted:

Well keep in mind somebody aaaaalways has to throw the bucket of poo poo on the fun parade.

I was set to just buy this album when it came out because I figured I was patient enough but holy poo poo this new track got me to preorder. God I'm so weak :negative:

I already preordered off of My God Is The Sun... Now I want to double preorder, or buy the next desert sessions album or something. Era Vulgaris took me some time to like and it was a favorite, but this is giving me a similar dark vibe but grabbing me right away. Ohhhhhh man. June won't come soon enough.

EDIT: Can't wait for the next desert sessions albums. No better... group...ish...thing to ride to with the windows down while it's hot as hell. The first two especially, but volumes 9&10 were also amazing for that.

Double edit: It's slow and creepy with Homme's... weirder, Era Vulgaris-esque vocals taking the lead, but probably some of the best riffs since SFTD. I can't stop listening to the bits and pieces we're getting.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 7, 2013

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Austin City Limits lineup was just announced and QOTSA is coming. I can't even believe my eyes. I'll finally get to see them live and hear the new material. This is the most excited I've been about an album in a long time.

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

it's only falling in love because you hit the ground
i have to admit, my gut reaction was "awww, man where's the ROCK" but the drat dark mood of the thing won me over on subsequent listenings. I think this is the first time an artist has described an album as "raw and personal" and it actually feels like it is.

EDIT: I want to agree with what someone said earlier, it feels like this album has lost some of QOTSA's traditional glibness, but it isn't worse for it.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
Can't wait to roll my eyes reading the Pitchfork review where Ian Cohen gives this a 5.2

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Ugly In The Morning posted:

EDIT: Can't wait for the next desert sessions albums. No better... group...ish...thing to ride to with the windows down while it's hot as hell. The first two especially, but volumes 9&10 were also amazing for that.
I want to see a new Desert Sessions too but for now, I feel that Grohl has managed to picked up the slack in his own way with the Sound City Players. The instrumental version of Mantra with him, Josh, and Trent Reznor is loving amazing.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

Can't wait to roll my eyes reading the Pitchfork review where Ian Cohen gives this a 5.2

This the default reaction to reading anything on Pitchfork.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
I'm not as in love with the song as you guys. I love the mood and the production, but the melodies feel off and the structure seems to stifle momentum and pacing. I've listened to the clip ten times now, and it seems like a bunch of songs duct taped together in parts, with Homme's vocals struggling to hold it all together.

Maybe it works in full and in the context of the album. Love the video, though. Wish it were full length.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
By the way, for those of you that don't seek out every single piece of news related to Queens of the Stone Age, this article is sort of a must-read as far as the song (and album?) is concerned: http://rollingstoneindia.com/josh-homme/

Given that some of the events talked about in the interview appear almost verbatim in the song's lyrics (the first line of the chorus is "Shock me awake"), it probably explains why the song is particularly creepy and personal

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

whatis posted:

By the way, for those of you that don't seek out every single piece of news related to Queens of the Stone Age, this article is sort of a must-read as far as the song (and album?) is concerned: http://rollingstoneindia.com/josh-homme/

Given that some of the events talked about in the interview appear almost verbatim in the song's lyrics (the first line of the chorus is "Shock me awake"), it probably explains why the song is particularly creepy and personal

I was wondering for ages what he meant by "dying on the operating table" and never understood how it happened during a leg surgery, so this is the first time I've read it with more detail. Lyrics and video definitely play into this experience, pretty interesting.

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

"I Sat By the Ocean" and "If I Had a Tail" were played live recently. They're both definitely more downtempo as we heard before. Not really getting into them on the first listen, but that didn't happen for me with "I Appear Missing" either. Also more of an introspective twist to the lyrics in these two as well.

falconry
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, they're not really impressing me as much as I Appear Missing, to be quite honest. Which I feel I should say, I've been listening to non-stop since the preview came out. It might just be the hype talking, but the song is on its way to becoming one of my favorites from QotSA ever. I can't wait until we get to hear it in full.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Pitchfork has 'em both up, along with a short interview.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Guess I'm in the minority, each song released has been better than the last for me. Can't wait to hear the studio versions.

Listening again, they're not playing very tightly but it's new material so..

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 9, 2013

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Yeah I'm really enjoying all of the new songs. The laid back groove on If I Had a Tail is really cool, and I love that ringshift guitar. This album is going to be so awesome.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The verses of If I Had A Tail really remind me of the verses of Misfit Love, though.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I like 'em. They're definitely mellow and groovy and I don't mind that at all.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
FLAC rips of the two new songs and MGITS from the Studio Brussel show have been posted on thefade's main forum. Quality-wise it beats the gently caress out of the Soundcloud and other versions that are spreading around. I'm quite digging both of these new ones, though I really want something heavy. I'm also curious to find out what ends up as b-sides this time around...

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 9, 2013

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This is something that I honestly never knew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSAr4p4YOVQ

Tributes like that are really cool I think.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I Sat By The Ocean really gave me a Rated R + Lullabies feel; some of the new songs feel like a mix of the easygoing grungy stuff on R and the nightmarish undercurrents from LtP. It's cool to see the classic "Lanegan" Queens sound melding with the newer, Ltp/Era Vulgaris sludge.

Maybe it's just me but "If I Had A Tail" sorta sounds like a Strokes-kinda clubby song, very different and really thumping; not anything technically ridiculous but it's enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

"If I Had a Tail" is growing on me, mostly because of how during the chorus it kind of sounds like the song from the sex scene in Top Gun.

• Locked thread