Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
I may have found a secret-tier strategy (against bads or the easily confused):

For me at least I use the shotgun entirely from the hip, so I slapped a sniper scope on it for kicks. This has frequently gotten confused comments in-game and at least once a free chatkill, but more than that if I have a round where I'm doing exceptionally well with it people will kill me, pick it up, and try to use it through the scope to hilariously terrible effect. It's my way of striking back from the grave, only in a completely inefficient manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Had a couple good games with some goons tonight, though sadly no one in the server was raging. I'm DoctorFiesta in game. Despite my best efforts I did not manage to tag SwitchbladeKult with a Breech-loaded grenade. Next time, perhaps! I will speak to his effectiveness with the M4X, though, dude makes it work for 'im.

Want to hurry up and get to forty so I can get some parts for the Snub-Nosed revolver. It's not particularly effective, no, but it lets me pretend I'm a cowboy and you just can't put a price tag on that.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

The Jumpoff posted:

So YOU were the guy with the Snub 260. I was hoping I could shoot you in the face when you had it out and take it for a spin.

It's a weird gun. I haven't had much success ADS-ing with it because it seems to lower the fire rate (or maybe I have a tumor and I'm making that up, but it certainly handles differently) - so aiming I only do to get one, maybe two shots off on someone at medium range. Generally I prefer to hip fire it at close range, where it behaves somewhere between the regular Revolver and the Shotgun. It's got a fast enough fire rate that if you're hugging the other guy you can just unload, but if you pace your shots it's not too awful hard to land a few headshots in a row.

Besides, "[player] shot [player2] dead +Snub260" Is probably my favorite kill notification to date.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Artificer posted:

Just curious, but I'm guessing that all the high level guys like Switch and the rest of the goons in the level 30+ party plays BL:R as their main source of video game entertainment? No EVE, no WoW, no Planetside 2, etc. etc.?

Level 35, currently - I started playing the week it came out of beta, so I clearly don't spend as much time on it as a lot of folks do, but three-four matches a day on average and I chug along just fine. Really want to hit forty soon though, arrgh

Really, though, my "ehhh that's enough for today" point tends to come when I go like 2-16 on a map against a team of people using almost identical, boring loadouts. Come on, guys, if you're going to kill me have the decency to use something more interesting than the AR, I mean really. Yes, it's effective, but I can't help but think that style is the most important stat. :colbert:

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Mauser posted:

Does anyone know if the weapon swap times are variable/based on the gun you're switching too?

They can be, depending what you swap to; most receivers and secondaries are going to have either the same swap time (or so close you can't tell), but certain equipment in particular readies faster/slower than others - the difference between swapping to a combat knife and swapping to the machete is pretty absurd. I at least haven't noticed enough of a difference with the weapon swap speed tags to make them even remotely worthwhile, but that's me.

Note this is based on nothing in particular save loads of experience getting killed mid-swap. Part of me wants to say I read that the light pistol comes out faster than other secondaries but I might well be confusing that with another game at the moment.

Also I managed to get two of the exact same emote from chance packs in one round. Thanks, odds!

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Oh, lucky day. First GP Chance pack I've ever gotten and it has Purple Hardsuit Camo in it :allears:

Time to start buying hardsuits in matches, I guess!

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Trip report: Purple is both stylish -

- and it gives me UNLIMITED POWER

Seriously I almost never have single-digit deaths in matches; I am a suicide machine more often than not. Still, I suppose the logical extension of my newfound power is to make a 250 hp build and pretend I'm battle-Grimace.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
I only got a handful of those kills with the bolt-action, actually; most of my time was spent sprinting madly from one end to the other with my shotgun out. First time I've ever actually run out of ammo for the shotty in one life!

EnemyNation and I tried to have manly Hardsuit fights too, but pubbies kept getting rocket launchers and flamethrowers and spitting in our cheerios.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
MajorLazer was asking about the build for my "ugly, hideous, beautiful" BFR, as he called it. It's very likely not optimal, but I get scads of kills with it so it works for me.

That gun is seriously almost as big as my dude.

edit: As a note, the gun would benefit a fair amount from a damage tag, I'd think, but I just can't give up the +3 HP tag as fragile as I am.

CapitanGarlic fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 10, 2013

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Well done, sir!

Am I the only one that thought of UO when reading the name of the guy in second?

I just thought he was trying to be a spooky ghost. Half of BL:R is mind games!

The other and arguably more important half is shooting other dudes until they are dead.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Artificer posted:

For a possible go faster build, would it be okay to replace the HazMat helmet with the Bonebreaker skull helmet? Then the Battlevest OS and the R2 legs? That would get me around 182 health I think and go plenty fast for a circlestrafing TSMG agent, I think.

I go Bonebreaker/Battlevest/whatever those 2-slot no-hp legs are. I have a native HP of 152 and ludicrous speed at all times - the TSMG works wonders for me if I can put every bullet in the other guy's head, but the sad truth of it is that I will lose a stand-up fight against just about any dude of equal or greater skill. It's taught me boatloads about juking and positioning, though!

Really, though, I started getting better at this game when I found what was the most fun for me, even if it's not entirely optimal. I'm looking at you, snub revolver.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Artificer posted:

The ones with the glowy bits when you run? I'm not sure I want to be THAT fast and fragile.

I was thinking of the R2 or the R7, because I want to have at least 181 health for the 0.0 ADS accuracy BARs, as well as at least 2 slots and a good amount of GO FAST.

Edit: Also I'm not yet confident in my aiming abilities on being able to put bullets into hostile heads when going FAST. :v:

No, the glowy ones are the Speed Demon legs, and they've got no slots. If I can't carry at least my hammer, life is without meaning~

Also in that setup they'd put my health down to the minimum, 150, and I think they're obnoxious looking enough that I make it a priority to kill anyone who has them. Try to be faster than ME, will you? :argh:

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Faltion posted:

Also what am I doing wrong with cloak? I try sneaking around in dark corners and stuff waiting for people to come by to murder, but most of the time they know exactly where I am and run across the map just to shoot me in the face with a shotgun.

The key with cloak is that they DO know exactly where you are. While cloaked you're still visible in HRV, and IR scopes will still spot you out as well. I've not used it enough to be proficient at it, but the only rounds I've done well with cloak are where I use it less to play like a TF2 Spy and more to dash across open areas; even at full speed your nameplate will never display while you're cloaked, and that's often the first/biggest indicator of an enemy at longer ranges.

Alternately, start carrying HRV blackouts in your equipment slots so you can mask both your signatures at once; wait until some fella happens by and thinks "oh hey free 10 CP" and then insert bullets.

As I said, though, I'm not all that great with the cloak, so I'm sure others can give you better pointers than I can.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Naw. The BAR is only better than the AMR in two situations: all you can see is their head and you want to kill more than one person in 5 seconds. Those situations are rare so the AMR turns out is better most of the time. However, when that time comes and all you can see is their head you are cursing your choice to bring the AMR. Back when you could bring a 200 DMG bar and fling out 5 shots in under 5 seconds it was clearly better to bring the BAR because you could also one shot kill anyone with a headshot. The recoil patch basically took all that and threw it out the window making the AMR, all it's shity down sides included, still a better choice for pugs than the BAR. Then again, I spend most of my time running around with an AK pretending it's a CR so what do I know?

Three, arguably: You need to quickscope. I've got a nearly minimum damage BAR because it lets me go fast, and I still love it over the AMR because there's times-a-plenty where it's saved my hide at medium range from being able to ADS quickly and get a headshot where my shotgun just wouldn't do the trick. Admittedly, nostalgia plays a solid part; I've been using the BAR since launch and I love it dearly - but I'd rather the chance to throw out four shots and pray I'm competent enough to get one or two headshots than lug around an AMR.

In unrelated news, I'm picking up some max durability armors for a 250 HP build to live out my "Nothing can kill the Grimace" fantasies. The purple camo may have gone to my head.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
It's worth mentioning for anyone who wants to use a respawn beacon that you'll spawn facing in the same direction you dropped it, so have some care there. Facing a wall when you drop it? You'll spawn facing the wall. This has mucked up a clever* ambush of mine once or twice, but I agree that in general I'd rather have other equipment.

In other news my beeflord build is not going so smoothly for me just yet; it was very likely a poor idea to change literally every item in my loadout at once but by jove I'm a determined and foolhardy individual.

*not actually clever

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Artificer posted:

Barricade acquired. Now to get Cloak.

I'd like to poll the thread again: Machete, or Breach Hammer? :allears:

Hammer. Always hammer. Enough builds are above 200 hit points that the reload time is effectively a non-issue when you can one shot anyone (Except for me; I am fat enough to survive a hammer blow, bwa ha ha); the lunge is nice on the machete but it's been my experience - especially with a go-fast build - that a dude surviving one hit will frequently give them enough time to shotgun your face off.

Also nothing is as satisfying as a hammer triple kill. Maybe a hammer clean sweep, but I haven't managed that yet.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Honey Badger posted:

Edit:

What are the pros and cons of a "tank" build vs a really fast one? It seems like almost everyone runs fast builds, and I don't see too many beefy ones.

I just swapped over from a 152 hp superfast build to a 250 hp supertank build. Now the terror of going slower is over and I'm getting used to it, I've started having fair success with it.

Generally speaking, it's less useful on TDM. My experience is that I get far fewer total kills, though a consistently better K:D ratio. Tomahawks are actually deadly unless (Hi EnemyNation) they throw them into my meaty body and presume I'm dead without detonating it; with the fast build the tomahawks did not kill me all that often because of their relatively small blast radius out of which I could generally sprint in time.

A fatty fat fat isn't going to cap that many flags and he isn't going to attack that many points, but he's baller at holding a point/corridor down by himself. He will win sniping duels unless you're against someone who can guarantee a headshot every time; with my fast build a BAR would one-shot me anywhere, but with the bigger build I can take a body shot and guarantee a lineup for a good return shot. As a disclaimer, never presume that the guy you're shooting at is going to miss, because that's just a poor habit in general.

Really, though, the big advantage of the heavy build is that I don't feel particularly hampered by using heavier parts. I move slow as sin already; not that much of a loss to just be at minimum speed to get loads of extra damage AND good spread/recoil on my weapons at the same time. Feels mighty satisfying to funnel people into a corridor with a shield and get an over-kill with an LMG just holding down M1.

At the end of the day I probably prefer the fast build, but that's because I more enjoy the playstyle where picking fights means I go to them when they don't expect it, rather than making them come to me. Also OffShore is plain torturous with a slow build. Egh.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
I've had so much fun playing fat samurai I simply had to doodle him up

Pretty much how it goes.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Azzanadra posted:

How the hell did you take a picture of me in real life.

Every one of us has a fat samurai in our hearts. I just needed to look ~within~

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Man, I want a hackusation thread. Best I get is pubbies asking me not to hammer/sword them so much.

In actual BLR news I finally hit level 40, woo :toot:

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

XTimmy posted:

Since I'm getting bored with the game proper since breaching level 40 I've been finding gimmick builds to entertain myself, probably my favourite for sheer balls to the walls adrenaline is the pirate, which is a scatter shot BLP and a machete on a <170hp build. It's like having an old breech pistol and cutlass and while attacking groups of three or above is suicide you can happily get the drop on pairs and blow one away while carving the other up. Add 'Cade or Cloak to taste depending on your level of challenge.

I'm currently running a 155 health build with a 9.8 speed LMG-R. I tried a few matches with a go-fast LMG at 9.6 speed, but every passing moment felt a bit like this Daredevil edit and I admittedly did not do too well. Sometimes if I aimed at their feet I could hit them with two bullets before I died.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
^^^ Always have one loadout with a shotgun in it. It is the best primary secondary out there.

Keeshhound posted:

You'd think they'd realize that such skulduggery is futile; true goons have no shame.

I'm tempted to give this a shot, but my time's already being filled by Planetside and Warframe. Anyone in the same boat who wants to give me a push towards this?

I've played more than my fair share of all three, and of them I'd say that BL:R is the fastest and most lethal of the three systems, and has the distinction that rather than picking a class and making tweaks from there, you build yourself the most from the ground up. Rather than saying "Well I'm a Light Assault/Exaclibur Frame and therefore decent in all situations, but I can pick weapons to eke myself a bit more towards speed and damage", you're more likely to build yourself based on how you play all around. There's no classes, so you decide just what levels of run speed/recoil/damage per shot you're comfortable with, and go from there.

Besides, going on a killstreak in Blacklight with a Breach Hammer is much more satisfying than doing so with melee weapons in either of the other two. :black101:

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

XTimmy posted:

Australian Pubbies: Proving that a 250HP build is better than skill.

Welcome to the chub club. Sandwiches and katanas on the table to your left.

Any rate, echoing the love for the LMG-R. Once I got it going with a high enough runspeed I just treat it like the SMG's thyroid-damaged cousin; hipfire all the time while going fast, and start pre-firing at a corner to control the recoil if you know there's a mean dude in the next room. I get a lotta grump for killing people with 'spray and pray', too, so there's also that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Merica posted:

The SMG is amazingly good. Just read the thread for builds we have pretty much narrowed down every "good" build in the game for each receiver. If you want to drink pubbie tears later. 200 damage bolt action with incendiary ammo works every single time.

Just remember every gun is OP. All ammo is OP. Heavy builds are OP. Light builds are OP. Medium builds are OP. Grenades are OP. Tomahawk is OP. Shield is OP.

If you kill me with it, your gun is OP. If I pick your gun up it is pubtrash. You move too fast. You have too much HP. etc. I just spend most of my time putting together terrible-awful guns and seeing how well I can do with them. My incomprehensible electro-LMG is an example of this; it's really got nothing going for it but sometimes I get silly amounts of kills with it! And then SwitchbladeKult picks it up and it goes wrong for him and I laugh.

Still, I think, nothing incites rage in pubbies more than killing them with weapons that they're convinced are worthless - I get this the most with the breach hammer (which is amazing) and the Snub 260 (which to be fair is categorically worse than the regular revolver but also COWBOY MODE). Also killing any pubbie in melee activates their butthurt bushido and they'll stop at nothing to try and melee kill you back. It's great.

• Locked thread