Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
[Tell] Is there any groups or congresspersons who are advocating for a more comprehensive UHC such as Medicare for all or something like the rest of the world? Any word on capping insurance profits as a secondary route?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I wouldn't mind businesses endlessly complaining about PPACA if I could pretend for even a second that they wouldn't have the largest shitfit ever over single-payer or some other real UHC, I mean a fit that would make the current anger seem like 'oh well' complaints.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Pohl posted:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the exchanges because I'm getting ready to graduate, and I make too much and have ok insurance to just walk away from my lovely grocery store job. If I can find a job that pays me fairly well, but doesn't offer insurance, I'm going to be able to take it now. A year ago, I wouldn't have been able to do that.

You're hosed, you're too healthy to get insurance, welcome to America where no one fights for the right of UHC.

P.S., so am I :suicide:.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Indigofreak posted:

I like the people that reply to you by saying, 'oh your work is screwing you over.' And just completely passing the blame off to the employer. Let's just blame the employer and not look at the catalyst.

Yes, because never in the history of man or time has someone used an excuse to screw someone over.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Malkamar posted:

Thanks for this; I live in Ohio and was starting to fear that I might just be screwed.

Pennsylvanian here, what up northern state with an idiot hell fucker governor :smith::hf::smith:

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Schwarbage posted:

Where do I go to sign up for a death panel?

http://www.gop.com/

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Hopefully the lovely states will get blowback when people start realizing that the reason they are hosed is that their governor actively sabotaged them.

EDIT: Makes me even more mad when I remember being poor and completely stuck as a result. The people who have the mobility to easily say "gently caress this state I'm out of here" are the same people who probably already have healthcare.

I see that attitude "Just move, geez guys" comes up way to often whenever talking about how lovely a state government can be and it is entirely ignorant of how much it can cost to move.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
The Republicans aren't angry at PPACA for aforementioned reasons, they're angry that it was signed into law by Barack Obama, noted black man and Clintonian Democrat. Frankly if the Tea party either shut the gently caress up or got kicked out there could be actual discussion about what's wrong and how to fix it.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

It's going to be really, really hard to spin paying extra for insurance that is physically impossible to use as a positive.

Do you understand the concept of social services and a public option, aka what we should have?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah, but Obama neutered that plan and the Republicans have screamed bloody murder at anything less than full deregulation. Until people start to pressure the democrats and try progressive pushing we'll get nowhere.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

DrPlump posted:

If all the men rapist get a mandatory vasectomy at 16 problem solved. Even from that angle if it is about protecting women making them "protect themselves" by taking birth control is victim blaming.

You are a loving moron, vasectomy is not a bilateral orchiectomy, so people still get raped in your lovely argument. Also way to bring up rape when arguing that women get it easy.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Dr. Plump, you're angry that you're paying for something you don't personally utilize. Do you understand taxes? Do you understand that when you pay car insurance you're paying for when someone gets in an accident? You understand that in most of the industrialized world people pay for other health care either through regulated insurance or single payer systems, right? I mean, you're literally angry that women can get birth control, something that is practically a human right.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
How are condoms covered in other nations? Are they treated like in the US as a personal health product or are they subsidized in a way?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Remember, Healthcare.gov was made due to states not rolling out their own programs because of certain reasons, mostly "gently caress" and "poor people".

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

DrPlump posted:

Also you feel a little guilty because you did encourage said friend to "pre-game" as a "cost saving measure". Also people were already concerned with your friend messing up the house and you told them "If you like the condition your house is in you can keep it*".

I feel guilty that there was no public option, no insurance company profit caps, and no actual care and I'm ending up defending milquetoast right-of-center solutions but I would be surprised if you cared about things like that.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
They really need to push off-line enrollment options to salvage this media war, hell they should have done that since the start. Of course the way poo poo works in this country I might as well have wished for a public option.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

I get that they may have never wanted a public option in the first place, and that they either really believe in insurance companies or just grovel before them, but what's with the Democrats absolute refusal to fight for their signature law after the shutdown? Why is Obama so determined to fall on his sword for the people who did the actual canceling of the sub-bronze plans?

No, I know they never did. The option for a public option was never available. There's all of the talk about Obama taking it off of the table between him and the insurance industry prior to the debate in congress but that's often waved away. It's more effective to hope that Canada will lift their private care ban so they're like most other countries with UHC and we can stop the ceaseless comparison of any UHC with Canada's system.

Samara posted:

How is it not a debacle? Have you seen insurers response to today's news? They are livid.

http://wapo.st/1fEvfrl

Seriously, screw them. They're profiteers in a system that every other real country has put on a leash or put it out to pasture. It's literally be happy you can profit off of this scam.

LP97S fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 14, 2013

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
How many of those polled are in half of states in the country that refused subsidies? That has definitely pissed off a lot of people it's pretty hard to get a lot done until the next election for even some of the states, let alone ones with 2015 or 2016 gubernatorial elections followed by legislative wrangling.

Also is there any polls about who prefer even the most milquetoast, compared to the rest of the OECD, reforms like non-profits, public options, and price controls aside from just the usual "Obamacare: Good/Bad?"?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Thanks for the links, unfortunately most polls seem to be oversimplifications for anything complex.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Sorry I was complaining about non-Pew polls just being yes and no questions like "Is PPACA good or bad?" or "Can PPACA be fixed?". My the additional stuff is just me wondering if there was another poll with some suggestions for what the bill was missing that people might want or actually think is in the bill, there was some poll a while back where 40% or so of the people polled thought that Obamacare was a public option, not just a mandate for purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

I was confused by your laundry list of things because you mentioned cost controls, which aren't included in PPACA (although profit "controls" cap private insurers at 80 percent, which has the effect of increasing provider costs) and public options, which are also not included in PPACA. Were you asking about polls that gauged public sentiment toward options that were excluded from PPACA? If so, I haven't seen any polls other than those that said, back in 2009, that even GOP voters favored Medicare expansion by about 60 percent, giving lie to the Dems' meme that it was conservatives who blocked meaningful reform.

Yes, I was specifically asking about that because the polls about healthcare in general have been, understandably, dominated by PPACA arguments for the last 4 years. There's nothing about what I mentioned earlier since the bill passed and the GOP has been trying to liken it to eternal damnation and the DNC has been mostly just toeing the line aside from Sanders. Only Vermont trying to get single-payer going has been showing up.

• Locked thread