Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I think I may be playing the Priest tonight in a last minute game. I get that the spell list is gone, and I like that, but what about things like Turn Undead? Are those still things I could do given the way the core moves are structured? I get that it's a different class, and that's fine, I'm just looking for some clarification so I don't have to ask a ton of questions while playing and can just concentrate on beating up monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

Overemotional Robot posted:

I think I may be playing the Priest tonight in a last minute game. I get that the spell list is gone, and I like that, but what about things like Turn Undead? Are those still things I could do given the way the core moves are structured? I get that it's a different class, and that's fine, I'm just looking for some clarification so I don't have to ask a ton of questions while playing and can just concentrate on beating up monsters.

If undead are enemies of your deity, it seems like Invocation will do something, and either way, Divine Ward could be used to drive them back.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Is the current version of the Mage the one where the player always chooses the consequences of their spell? I could've sworn the updated version was either player chooses two or GM chooses 1, but none of the ones linked in the OP have that.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
The Mage was switched to player chooses all, presumably to make it so that you can still do all the cool things with your magic how you want it to happen instead of having it be in the hands of your GM. While you can technically have the GM choose and then describe it yourself, having the choice be yours directly makes it more obvious that you're the one describing your cool spell.

Or at least, that's my interpretation and Gnome might have an entirely different one. :v: The no-gm choices one is the current version though.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

PublicOpinion posted:

Is the current version of the Mage the one where the player always chooses the consequences of their spell? I could've sworn the updated version was either player chooses two or GM chooses 1, but none of the ones linked in the OP have that.

When the Black Magic move was added in and Cast a Spell no longer needed to cover attack spells too, the move became significantly more controllable, and wasn't nearly so "covers everything." I significantly tightened up the drawbacks, making them a lot clearer and more straightforward, and made it player's-choice always. The current Mage is the one in the OP.

It is worth mentioning that I feel way better about how The Witch does magic than I do about the Mage, and if I do a Mage rewrite at some point I will be using The Witch's version of Black Magic, and I would try to change Cast a Spell to work a bit more like Witchcraft does. But that takes time and effort I don't want to put forth right now.

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.

gnome7 posted:

It is worth mentioning that I feel way better about how The Witch does magic than I do about the Mage, and if I do a Mage rewrite at some point I will be using The Witch's version of Black Magic, and I would try to change Cast a Spell to work a bit more like Witchcraft does. But that takes time and effort I don't want to put forth right now.
Emphasis mine.

Fair enough. But, without asking you to go through the process of updating the pdf, would you mind elaborating a bit more on how you would do it, so we might just pencil it in?

Ich fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 4, 2013

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I played my first game of DW tonight - It was fun, but the specifics are a story for another time. Mostly I wanted to ask if there's a homebrew class that would represent the character concept of a small child with divine powers that they didn't even understand, and stuff just sort of happened on accident to help them. One of our players made a Cleric who was a small girl who wanted to have things like rocks fall on her enemies to protect her while we were in a cave, and things like that, but we weren't really sure what to roll since Hack n' Slash didn't really seem appropriate. We eventually decided on a generic Wisdom check and class damage, but aren't really satisfied with that. Note that this is mostly for combat purposes, as the out of combat abilities worked great.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
What would the drawbacks be? Dungeon world is brutal; what if the fire elemental just isn't swayed by divine intervention?

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
We're playing with the Mage, and there might be some things we are not really getting. What happened was that both I (GM) and the Mage player felt that his spells could be way too broad. He has his aligned elements, where he gets a bonus to his roll when using magic. Then he has everything else that falls under 'clock magic' however you interpret that. Then he has everything friggin' else in the world, like summoning trees or fire or making illusions or teleporting or whatever. And finally he has his opposed elements, that he can never do.

Am I completely mistaken? He wanted to play a clock magician, and by the rules he can do anything at all that could feasibly be described as a spell, as long as it doesn't manipulate emotions, make things move or whatever the third thing is.

What we did is simply remove the in-between area, between 'anything to do with the Clock' and the opposed elements. So now he's a Clock Mage, who has specific aligned elements and can try to do other stuff with time if he wants to.

We both agree that his power level and character focus is better off for this change. However others are using the Mage without this drastic a change. It feels like maybe I'm missing something with how the spellcasting works. Does anyone have an idea?

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I played my first game of Dungeon World last night, too! Maybe it's because I rarely, if ever, get a chance to play a game instead of GM, but I had a blast playing the priest. Using a divine ball and chain to wallop werewolves in the head while casting holy wards on friends was amazing.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Will it hurt to play with the online rules, or should I wait for the actual book?

It's the difference between playing next monday or in a few weeks.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

The online rules are perfectly fine, the book just clarifies a few things in sidebars.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Golden Bee posted:

What would the drawbacks be? Dungeon world is brutal; what if the fire elemental just isn't swayed by divine intervention?

Well, it's more like seemingly natural or coincidental disasters than divine intervention. Like instead of saying "I run up to the ogre and bash it with my morning star," you'd say "the ogre charges me, but just as it begins to lower its club the ground shakes and he stumbles, smashing his head into a wall." So just like any other mode of attack, a failure would result in it countering, in this convoluted example, probably by still grazing the kid while it fell over. There's no real mind control or anything at work.

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?

AlphaDog posted:

Oh hey, looks like they ship to Australia and accept credit cards!

I know what I'm buying tomorrow! Tonight!

They were really fast responding to my question about shipping, too.

I ordered mine (I'm in the UK where they are based), about midnight on Thursday and it showed up this morning (Saturday), so yeah they are really good at getting stuff out quick :)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I always saw Dungeon World as a harsh place, so if your group is fine with a child-prodigy taking debilities and facing the black gates of death, then I'd do a move like this:

When You Pray for Direct Intercession

When you pray to your deity with a pure soul, roll +Grace.
On a 10+, roll class damage; your deity has interfered directly.
On a 7-9, use 1 grace, and roll class damage. The intercession is muddled and puts you in a spot.
On a 6-, use 1 grace and your deity is testing you. You cannot Pray until you've shown you show you can survive without it.

Gain 1 Grace:
*When you give mercy against your best interest;
*When you assume the best about a stranger
*When you lecture someone much more experienced than you.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
This has come up enough in the campaign I'm a part of that I think it deserves its own move:

Hurl

When you grab something that wasn't meant to be thrown, heft it up with both hands, and send it sailing through the air, roll +STR. On a 10+, it lands where you wanted; you may deal your damage. On a 7-9, choose one:
*It hits what you were aiming at but causes damage to things you'd rather it didn't
*It requires a running start and leaves you briefly winded but lands where you wanted
*It doesn't quite land where you wanted, the GM decides where and what happens

I think that's better than just adding a "Heavy Thrown: You can Volley with STR instead of DEX when throwing this thing" tag

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

When You Pray for Direct Intercession

When you pray to your deity with a pure soul, roll +Grace.
On a 10+, roll class damage; your deity has interfered directly.
On a 7-9, use 1 grace, and roll class damage. The intercession is muddled and puts you in a spot.
On a 6-, use 1 grace and your deity is testing you. You cannot Pray until you've shown you show you can survive without it.

Gain 1 Grace:
*When you give mercy against your best interest;
*When you assume the best about a stranger
*When you lecture someone much more experienced than you.

This is a great move, and it would be a good central move for a playbook ("The Innocent" or something).

That said: don't just give that move for free to the Cleric. If they really want to play this archetype with an existing class, check out gnome7's Priest: the Priest is explicitly able to do that with its Invocation move (either by straight rebuking the enemy or by manipulating/commanding something dangerous like fire or rocks).

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
So I finally got a chance to finish the cover art for my latest folktale-inspired playbook, The Giant

As always the fine folks of the DW thread can find the free Google Doc version Here.

And click on this fancy picture if you want to throw some money at it and get the slightly different and much meaner version, the Giant Jerk as an added bonus!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I fuckin love that giant just chilling out.

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.

Tiger posted:

What we did is simply remove the in-between area, between 'anything to do with the Clock' and the opposed elements. So now he's a Clock Mage, who has specific aligned elements and can try to do other stuff with time if he wants to.

We both agree that his power level and character focus is better off for this change. However others are using the Mage without this drastic a change. It feels like maybe I'm missing something with how the spellcasting works. Does anyone have an idea?

Do you get that for things that are not clock related, he gets -1 to his roll?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Ich posted:

And doesn't get a bonus for his aligned spells unless his INT mod drops to 0?

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.
So I've been screwing around with Dungeon World recently, fairly new to it, just started a small game with some friends, and I am finding that there is some ... confusion or hostility toward the thing where I ask the players questions about the character or setting? No matter how directly or pointedly I ask a question ("Who's in charge here? Do you know them?" "Have you ever encountered a monster like this before?" "When did you first meet so-and-so?", whatever) my players always give me really waffly answers. "Well, maybe X or Y or Z," or really vague answers, "I guess maybe a king or warlord or something is in charge." Almost all of the answers I get from my players feel like, "I don't know, you decide."

I've tried to be direct about my expectations ("When I ask you a question, I'm looking to get an answer, not a suggestion; I'm taking this decision out of my hands and putting it in yours!") but it doesn't seem to help.

Anyone have any ideas?

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.

Heart Attacks posted:

So I've been screwing around with Dungeon World recently, fairly new to it, just started a small game with some friends, and I am finding that there is some ... confusion or hostility toward the thing where I ask the players questions about the character or setting? No matter how directly or pointedly I ask a question ("Who's in charge here? Do you know them?" "Have you ever encountered a monster like this before?" "When did you first meet so-and-so?", whatever) my players always give me really waffly answers. "Well, maybe X or Y or Z," or really vague answers, "I guess maybe a king or warlord or something is in charge." Almost all of the answers I get from my players feel like, "I don't know, you decide."

I've tried to be direct about my expectations ("When I ask you a question, I'm looking to get an answer, not a suggestion; I'm taking this decision out of my hands and putting it in yours!") but it doesn't seem to help.

Anyone have any ideas?

Give them a worse outcome.

But seriously, give them some time to wrap their heads around the new ideas.

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.

djw175 posted:

Yep, that, too! Your aligned spells never take less than +1. While not spectacular, that is pretty great when you take the -1 to INT option more than once. (Or play a Mage with an 8 Intelligence!)

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013

Heart Attacks posted:

Anyone have any ideas?

Perhaps you can ease them into some of these aspects of the game by offering them a set of choices instead of a more open-ended question? Sort of "Ah, old so-and-so, you met them in Wraith Pits of Urglbargar, right? Or was it the Demon Chapel of Inequality?"

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I'm planning on running a campaign set in the Dark Sun universe, and I was wondering if there are any pre-made materials for that setting available. For now, I'm thinking of making clerics and wizards simply choose an element and theme their powers thusly, paladins will be liaisons of Inquisitors, druids will be preservers, etc.

edit:

Also, I went to purchase the book online and the website poo poo itself. Is the hardcopy worth having?

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 6, 2013

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Dirty Job posted:

I'm planning on running a campaign set in the Dark Sun universe, and I was wondering if there are any pre-made materials for that setting available. For now, I'm thinking of making clerics and wizards simply choose an element and theme their powers thusly, paladins will be liaisons of Inquisitors, druids will be preservers, etc.

edit:

Also, I went to purchase the book online and the website poo poo itself. Is the hardcopy worth having?

From the content post after the OP:

As for getting the hardcopy, I recommend it, but the online rules are up to date and perfectly functional.

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.

djw175 posted:

Sorry, re-reading my post, I couldn't understand myself. That was horribly written.

Ich posted:

What I meant was: Do you understand that for non-aligned spells, mages get -1 to their roll?

As for aligned spells, they get the INT modifier, and your modifier for aligned spells will never drop below +1, even if you are somehow at INT -2.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I knew I liked this game when I first heard about it, but I finally actually ran it tonight. It was like a religious experience. Before we even began assigning stats, the players had worked out a scenario where they were criminals on the run from the empire and the organization they betrayed. They're on a mission to recover the expensive artifact they stole from the empire and hid from their ex-colleagues before having been jailed. I came up with a framework for a quick dungeon trip and asked tons of questions... the game practically ran itself. But not, as I feared, in a way that left me feeling like I had no input. I kept an open mind and used my moves and everything went great. Hello new favorite RPG!

Mr. Damage Control
Nov 3, 2005

I was thinking about the Leadership feat from 3rd Edition D&D last night. Specifically, I was thinking of how bad it was. My least favorite part of the stupid thing was the throng of basically useless mooks you got - a bunch of low-level peasants good only for building railguns. Since Apocalypse World has good solid rules for large groups of followers, I cribbed from the Chopper and Hardholder playbooks to bang together a Chieftain for Dungeon World.

quote:

Chieftain

When you win the right to command a vast number of nomadic people, take this move:

The Many
You are the leader of a tribe of people. By default, they are 75-150 in number, skilled in the arts of survival and simple craft, anxious in combat, and slow to pack up and move (tribe large skilled-1 fearful slow). Then, choose 2:
Your people number 200-300. Huge instead of large.
Your people include experts in various fields. Upgrade to skilled-2.
Your people are warlike and confident. Remove fearful.
Your people travel lightly, on fast mounts. Remove slow.
Your people are highly mystical and protected by the spirits. Add +magic.
Your people do vigorous trade as they travel. Gain 50 Coin as your cut each week.

And then choose 1:
Your people have many young mouths to feed. Complication: Hungry.
Your people's traditions demand blood sacrifice. Complication: Fresh Blood.
Your people have sacred ancestral lands. Complication: Desecration.
Your people have complex laws which you must follow. Complication: Red Tape.
Your people don't trust outsiders. Complication: Xenophobia.
Your people suffer under an ancient and eldritch curse. Complication: Arcane Fate.

If you have The Many, the following count as class moves for you:

A Few Good Men
Requires: Tribe with Skilled-2
When you Recruit from your tribe, you succeed as if you had rolled a 10+.

Cultural Revolution
Choose 2 more positive traits and 1 more Complication for your tribe.

Into The High Branches
When your tribe conceals itself in a natural landscape, no one will find them unless the tribe so wishes.

Mass Ritual
Requires: Tribe with Magic
When your people gather under your guidance to invoke the power of the spirits, tell the GM what you're trying to achieve. Ritual effects are always possible, but the GM will give you one to four of the following conditions:
It's going to take days and days of exhausting ritual performance, taxing your people.
First you must bring a certain person to your tribe. The GM will tell you who it is.
You must wait for a certain festival. The GM will tell you how long it is until the day arrives.
It will require great sacrifice, either in volume or in value.
The best you can do is a lesser version, unreliable, limited, or temporary.
You and your tribe will risk danger during the ritual.
You'll have to harness the power of a certain location to do it. The GM will tell you where it is.

Tribal Champion
When you swear to your tribe that a mission will be completed, state what you set out to do:
Destroy a great threat to the tribe
Acquire a powerful resource for your tribe
Conquer another nation and bring them into your tribe

Then choose up to two investments:
An unwavering sense of direction guides you to both your goal and your tribemates
The golden words of the spirits tell you the right things to say
The majesty of the ancestors awes those who stand against you
A wellspring of mystic force bolsters your flesh and bone
You are free from hunger, thirst, sleep, and need of breath
The secret ways and caches of relevant areas are known to you

The GM will then tell you what vow is required of you to maintain your investments:
Honor (forbidden: cowardly tactics and tricks)
Fortitude (forbidden: showing weakness or pain)
Devotion (required: regular praise and sacrifice to the spirits)
Valor (forbidden: suffering an enemy of the tribe to live)
Truth (forbidden: lies)
Relentlessness (required: literal unceasing pursuit of your goal)

After this, I had a little momentum, so I wrote a few moves for an alternative path to societal power, the Big Boss.

quote:

Big Boss

When you gain substantial standing in a corporation, you may take the following move upon leveling up:

You Scratch My Back...
When you do a substantial favor for a corporate colleague at least as powerful as you are, roll +CHA. On a 10+, gain 2-Favor with them. On a 7-9, gain 1-Favor.

You may spend 1-Favor to:
Acquire a good or service worth up to 200 Coins.
Learn a corporate secret about someone the colleague isn't close to.
Get access to a facility a couple levels above your pay grade.
Burn a piece of evidence that does not implicate you or a friend of yours.

You may spend 2-Favor to:
Acquire a good or service worth up to 500 Coins.
Learn a personal secret about the colleague or one of his friends.
Get access to a facility you shouldn't even know about.
Burn a piece of evidence that implicates you or a friend of yours.

If you have You Scratch My Back..., the following count as class moves for you and you may take them when you level up:

...And I'll Scratch Yours
When you have Favor with someone, take +1 against them in social situations until you do not.

Corporate Espionage
You may use You Scratch My Back... on people in other corporations, not just your own colleagues. When you do, roll +WIS. On a 10+, you and your new friend keep everything on the down low. On a 7-9, you automatically qualify for Outstanding Warrants in that corporation's holdings, even if you have never visited them before.

Resource Management
When you contact HQ for resources, you are sent up to 100 Coins worth of supplies and up to 2 hirelings, or have up to 100 Coins worth of services paid for. For every 50 Coins worth of supplies you request or services you purchase, and for each hireling you request, the GM holds 1. The GM may spend this hold to have you held accountable by Accounting for your expense report, to have a minor duty inconvenience you while going about your business, or to start a nasty rumor about you somewhere deep in the recesses of HQ.

I would appreciate feedback on these two compendium classes. This is my first crack at game design of any kind - I tried to play it safe by sticking closely to established move structures, but please let me know if something is unbalanced, vague, or just plain useless/boring. I want to get better at creating content for this awesome game system.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Mr. Damage Control posted:

Compendium Classes

Well, I like the Chieftain overall. Feels like a good move, though I don't know how useful it is to have a large group of people in a dungeon. Not that taking the Dungeon out of Dungeon World is necessarily a bad thing.

The Boss seems wholly inapplicable to a traditional fantasy setting, though. I guess there are some games that are really into guilds?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The Chief is awesome. The Boss would work great, perhaps in my group, the masks variant, or Monster of the Week.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Both of those classes look pretty good, and my only real complaint is that Big Boss doesn't seem like the best name for a class like that. :v:

Now, a class all about GUNS and BOXES might work better with that title.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

sentrygun posted:

Now, a class all about GUNS and BOXES might work better with that title.

Deterrence???
When you go into an in-character monologue about the evils of nuclear warfare lasting no shorter than eight minutes in length, mark experience.

And now I really want a Metal Gear Solid AW hack...

LordZoric fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 6, 2013

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

This Gun is the Best Gun
When you Sperg out about the construction of a weapon you are holding, it gains the exquisite tag, and gains a +1 to damage.

Your Gun Sucks
When you point out the various inadequacies of an opponent's weaponry, they take a -1 ongoing to damage for the rest of the fight or until they abandon their weapon and find another.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

KillerQueen posted:

This Gun is the Best Gun
When you Sperg out about the construction of a weapon you are holding, it gains the exquisite tag, and gains a +1 to damage.

Your Gun Sucks
When you point out the various inadequacies of an opponent's weaponry, they take a -1 ongoing to damage for the rest of the fight or until they abandon their weapon and find another.

Variations of these sound like they might make good fighter moves, what with their signature weapon and all. Isn't announcing some variation of "my weapon is a flipping awesome weapon, it's killed this and that and drawn the blood of X foes" pretty mythically flavored anyway?

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

The moral of the story is that the Fighter could be a lot better.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

KillerQueen posted:

The moral of the story is that the Fighter could be a lot better.

If only someone improved it.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

But where would we find a link to such a thing? If only there were some sort of highly convenient list of links towards the beginning of the thread.

In all seriousness I do really like Gnome's improved classes, the Fighter advanced moves just get kind of weird in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

KillerQueen posted:

The moral of the story is that the Fighter all the base classes could be a lot better.

This is more the case in my opinion. :) Thankfully a lot of progress has been made in this thread.