Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, fax! Don't tempt the Mikanimé! You'll doom us all!

I would be all over this like you wouldn't even believe. Slayers is the best adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Overemotional Robot posted:

- Hat, the cloaker bard

Did one of your players actually play the Sorting Hat?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I'll second The Lost City, particularly for DW, and also suggest Isle of Dread. They've got factions, weird societies that are sketched thin enough to make things up about them, and fairly nice maps.

Seconding Isle of Dread, especially if you can beg, borrow, or steal the updated Isle map they put in Dungeon a long time back, sometime in 3.5e.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for movies/books/graphic novels to help me fill my head with ideas for future GMing?

Labyrinth. Everything you need to know about an amazing dungeon crawl in a single movie.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Powered by the Apocalypse (games based on Apocalypse World)

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

RSIxidor posted:

I would make the sword even simpler and take the inspiration from "The Book of Swords" series and just make it heal instead whenever it would do damage.

Wayfinder
Whenever you concentrate on what you seek, roll+WIS. *On a 10+, the sword indicates the exact location of what you seek. *On a 7-9, the sword indicates the direction of what you seek.

This doesn't really capture the quirk of the blade, which was really half the point.

Wayfinder
Whenever you concentrate on what you seek, Wayfinder indicates the direction of the next step in getting to what you seek, and roll +WIS. *On a 10+, you're okay. On a 7-9, the GM makes a move. On a miss, the GM makes TWO moves.

Like the song says, the sword of wisdom lightens loads, but adds unto their risk.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Thanks to Dagon, the Ninja is now a thing that is for sale.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

The Ninja is up, so I'd appreciate it if the main post could get updated.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Trollhawke posted:

So I finished the first draft of the Moneybag playbook after months of not bothering with it - it's in pretty rough shape at the moment, so could I possibly get some feedback to improve the class?

I haven't had a lot of time to go over it, but my first impression is that "Shut your mouth and look at my wad" really ought to be named "Screw the Rules, I Have Money."

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Johnstone Metzger just released DW2: Island of Fire Mountain, and it comes with a new class: The Elementalist, who has a pretty freeform magic system.

The gist of it is that you have Commands (Banish, Create, Destroy, Enhance, Move, Shape, Summon, Transmute) and Elements (Air, Crystals, Darkness, Fire, Ice, Light, Magic, Metal, Plants, Stone, Storms, and Water). You start with one Command, one Element, and one Command or Element on top of that.

The core move is

Finally, someone besides me thinks the Infinite Domains magic system is awesome and needs more use.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That's the default, yeah. I also like the players spouting facts more.

We've definitely found that spout lore works best when it's the player spouting off, followed by a roll, and then the roll determines whether it's a good, literal, or evil genie interpreting the lore you just spouted. It's always true, it's just... maybe not true in the way that you thought or intended.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

I finally get to play instead of just running tomorrow, and I can not decide on a playbook. I'm my group's GM so this is probably my one chance to be a player and I want to make it count.

So, Clock Mage vs. Winter Mage?

Also, god drat it gnome7 and RulebookHeaviliy, what'd my wallet ever do to you? I just bought fifty bucks of material from you guys on DriveThruRPG. (Lots of playbooks and Mounted Combat since one of my players recently tamed a giant spider.)

Clock Mage is superior, but Winter Mage has the more awesome death move.

Also, while you're grabbing new playbooks, don't forget The Ninja. You'll thank me every time you log someone.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I don't know who maintains the Slayer, but in the cat piss thread, someone suggested a death move for it, and the version I have, at least, doesn't have one, so I made a thing.

Mr. Maltose posted:

That needs to be a DW style deathmove for somebody.

The Slayer should get as its death move:

Dead Man's Trigger: In one last spiteful blow to your chosen enemy, your death triggers the widespread publishing of a comprehensive manual on precisely how to go about killing a monster species of your choice. It won't be immediate, but in the long run, the complete exposure of all their dirty secrets dooms them to death as a species.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Fenarisk posted:

First, if you want a beefy magic user that can also stealth but do cool poo poo as well as aid the group and is well balanced just have him play The Lantern from Inverse World and take some of the shadow blade poo poo.

Or the Ninja, which is basically wall to wall flipping out and killing people at range and in melee, from ahead, from behind, from above, and while walking calmly away from an explosion.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

^^^ I like some of the options you've presented concerning expenditure of Combo Points, but you're right in that it's tough to add a variety of effects and not have the mechanic be overpowered.

There's nothing whatsoever wrong with piling a bunch of options onto a single currency mechanic. Ninja, Time Mage, and Winter Mage all do exactly that, and are fun as hell and also not broken. (Mostly. Time manipulation is always pretty loving broke.)

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I've finally figured out where I wanted to take the Peerless/Weaponmaster Fighter and it's mostly done (I just need to figure out something for the Soldier background): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15337665/The%20Peerless%20Fighter.pdf

I've removed the +1 armor from Iron/Diamond Hide since it proved problematic in playtests (the Fighter was basically immortal, between 5 armour, high HP, healing and being able to just shrug off damage from an attack every now and then), added a caveat to Armour Mastery that it only works on damage that doesn't ignore all of your armour, and more importantly changed Signature Weapon into Weapon Mastery styles.

Since the whole point of this was to make a Fighter variant that's the best at making use of their weapons/armour, having fighting styles makes way more sense than keeping Signature Weapon.

Feedback welcome, especially if you have any interesting suggestions for Weapon Mastery enhancements so I can get rid of the +1 damage one.

Soldier: Field Repairs - When you make camp while your armor is damaged, repair X points of damage.

Replace Deadly with Destructive: Reduce the target's armor by 1 until healed/repaired.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

What was the playbook released a while back where you chose elements and what you could do with them off a list, and expanded the list as you leveled? I remember you could start with three total things, so one element and two things to do, or two elements and one thing to do, etc.

Reminded me a lot of the old Infinite Domains magic system.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

slydingdoor posted:

Nah, it should be around his arm like megaman's gun.

You're both wrong.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Astro Ambulance posted:

What do you guys think of this magic item I came up with? Anything I should change?
Voltaic Gauntlet of Kalak
worn, bound, 1 weight
When you channel your life force into the gauntlet, sacrifice any number of HP and roll +that number. On a 10+, choose one. On a 7-9, choose one anyway, but the effect is weakened, uncontrolled, or not quite what you wanted.

*The gauntlet functions a weapon with the tags hand, element (electric), and messy for the rest of the scene. Attacks with the gauntlet deal bonus damage equal to half the HP sacrificed, rounded down.
*An electrical device is powered for a while.
*A conductive object or creature within reach is struck by a bolt of lightning, dealing class damage plus the HP sacrificed, with the element (electric) and messy tags.
*A dying creature you are touching with the gauntlet is either revived at least temporarily, or in the case of a PC, are granted a +(number of HP sacrificed) to their Last Breath roll.

Made your thing more awesome. If they really want to spend half a dozen HP, let 'em.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 26, 2014

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Handgun Phonics posted:

I'll check with the DM on that one then, I'd always kind of assumed it meant... things that might normally bend, break, or fall when you stood on them, rather than things you can't actually stand on.

for what it's worth, I used the same thing on the ninja playbook, and it's -definitely- intended to apply to both water and walls there. Running straight up walls, and even fighting on them, is completely awesome, and anybody who scoffs at it is actually a bad person.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The Man-Made Arrow of Defiance
One of the three lost arrows of Lordran, the metal shaft twists in your palm, becoming a weapon of your choice. Pick two tags from the list below and describe the shape it takes.
Precise, Forceful, Returning, Glowing, Reach, +1 Damage
When you stand in defiance of something much, much more powerful than yourself spend 1XP and roll +STR
On a 7-9, choose 1, on a 10+, choose 2:
* The enemy's great advantages are negated (Describe how)
* The enemy's fall will not unleash some greater problem.
* The enemy's fall will not cost you dearly.

Don't roll a 6-

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

djw175 posted:

Please don't play the Time Mage. Every game I've seen it in, it's done nothing but slow down play by a bunch. Dragon Mage is hella cool, though.

Time Mage is fantastic as long as the player is quick and decisive. Unfortunately, that doesn't describe many gamers.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

RandomPauI posted:

I'm making a level three character. I have permission from the GM to call him a security consultant. He might get paid to tell people how to stay safe from criminals but that basically requires a lot of the same features and attributes as a criminal anyways.

He was just going to be a re-skinned thief. But then I got to thinking about how some basic and advanced class features don't fit that well with someone who needs to appear legit. Even if it's only to avoid the professional and personal consequences of getting caught.

One problem is the backstab trait. It feels at odds with a character who is making it a point to obey the law and to appear honorable.

The poison traits are also problematic. I can keep them as a whole and try to figure out a way for him to develop aerosol sleep sprays and irritant sprays and smoke sprays. Or I can replace it with something else that'd fit. But what?

What does the thread think?

Replace it with the walker from Inverse World, maybe?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Brony Hunter posted:

Starting a new game soon, and one of my players is requesting to play a melee class that uses illusions and trickery and "debuffs" rather than raw martial ability. Anyone got any ideas for playbooks?

The only ones I know of are the Ninja and maybe the Walker or Assassin.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Dungeon World's safety net for the party being stuck is actually very robust and powerful - Say that something interesting has happened, and ask the players "What Do You Do?". Don't worry about the particulars, just push the ball down the hill and let it roll

This is literally a crystallizaton of the old rule of noir. Whenever you write yourself into a corner, have someone start shooting at the protagonist to get things moving again.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

That sheet has 5 (6?) starting moves which have stuff like "Possess the mind of another person with just a moments touch" and "Summon player-character powerful Thralls to fight for you". The spells are also wild for Level 1 stuff when you're usually at most dealing 2d4 damage as a spell caster, the warlock can summon an invincible, evil, super horse that outruns all over horses.

I'd say this is a lil powerful for standing shoulder to shoulder with the other standard classes.

I dunno he said he's got a Mage in the party, and that playbook is a WEE bit broke.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

4. megane and gnome7’s playbooks for Mage and Priest are cool and all, but they’re hard to reconcile with how I thought I’d be arbitrating the game.

We have repeatedly tried to steer people away from those playbooks in this thread. Mage was later broken down into a bunch of superior and more focused playbooks like time mage and ice mage. Mage and Priest are massively broken in even slightly competent hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Is that too many?

One page, front and back, MAYBE two if it's got something like a spell list because dungeon world.

Assuming standard business paper size.