Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's a revision of my current CC homebrew idea:

The Aware

When you realize that stories have real power in your world, or that you’re actually a fictional character, or something along that spectrum, you may take this move when you next level up:

All The World’s A Stage

You know a lot about stories. After all, you’re in one! Choose what sort of story you’re in:
A comic tale bouncing from one hilarious mishap to the next.
A dashing tale of death-defying exploits and daring-do.
A sordid tale of revenge and passion.
A twisted tale of conspiracies and secrets.
When you act on this knowledge in a way that complicates your life and the lives of those around you, you gain 1-Plot. You may have a maximum of 3-Plot. You may expend Plot to gain +1 forward to an action, or to declare something true that otherwise might not be.

Afterward, you may take the following moves when you level up:

Pulpy Dialogue
Good stories need good dialogue. Bad stories need great dialogue. When you make a terrible pun/fire off a snappy line as appropriate to your tale, you may expend 1-Plot to maximize your damage die or automatically succeed on a Defy Danger roll.

The Story’s Not Over Yet
When you are about to die before your time, you may expend all of your Plot before rolling Last Breath. If you do, the following changes apply. If you roll 7-9 on Last Breath, instead of making a bargain with Death, you find that he’s been following your story. He’s willing to let you go because he wants to see how it ends. If you roll 6-, he’s got his own ideas about where the story should go, and will only let you return if you agree to his demands.

A Million To One
When you purposefully choose the most dangerous path available to you, trusting in your plot-relevance to pull you through odds that anybody else would think truly impossible, you may expend 1-Plot for one of the following effects:
You and another person or object come out the other end completely unscathed.
Despite what happens to you, your mission is utterly successful; nothing can take this away or reverse it.

Wording is clunky and I'm not sure about the mechanics still. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Golden Bee posted:

For on-the-fly animal moves, I like:
-What the player wants to do
-Another cool thing
-Something less useful, but thematic.

Eagle:
Swoop and squawk
Eat Prey
Regurgitate for young.

Shouldn't the order be reversed on those?

:getin:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TombsGrave I really like the ideas of the Fury and the Poultergeist, can't wait to see them!

Also, I cannot think of any way to improve my as yet un-named CC, so I'm taking suggestions for the name. I thought of something like Fateweaver or Talewalker, but does anybody have something a little less nounverb-y?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Talebound.

Because walking the path of a story binds you as much as it empowers you.

Link

I think I'm done with this one too. I'm no Gnome7 but woo I'm making things :saddowns:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think maybe I need to add a GM's note indicating that Plot is a very powerful resource and should require similarly huge efforts of the player in order to be gained. I did edit the Pulpy Dialogue thing though.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just love how hackable this system is. We've come pretty far from the base in this and the prior thread, and I'd say the ease with which you can play with the mechanics is definitely a big factor in that.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's the current form of the CC I decided to work on today:

The Fading

When you begin to fade from existence, you may take the following two moves and one of the others below those together when you next level up:

Falling Into Oblivion

When you find yourself fading into oblivion, roll +Fade. You may spend relationships to people or valued possessions 1-for-1 to lower your result. On a 10+, you will disappear forever. On a 7-9, you survive, but the ordeal leaves you in bad condition. Take a debility and half of your health as damage.

Do Not Go Gentle

When you stave off the void through the use of restorative magics or through creating and building relationships with others, roll with no modifier. On a 10+, remove 2-Fade. On a 7-9, remove 1-Fade. On a 6-, you’re no better for the attempt.

Afterwards, you may take the rest of the following moves one at a time when you level up:

Like I Was Never There

When you fade from awareness, roll +Fade. On a hit, you are functionally invisible for a time. You can pick up objects, open doors, etc without notice. The absence or change of anything you pick up or manipulate will go similarly unremarked, at least until the effect ends. On a 10+, everything works out and you’re fine. You can take 1-Fade if you wish, but you don’t have to; and you’ll only ‘reappear’ when and where you want to. On a 7-9, there are a couple consequences. Choose 2:

You’re sliding closer to oblivion. Take 1-Fade and 1 damage.

People are forgetting about you. Somebody important to you won’t recognize you the next time you meet.

You come ‘back’ in a bad place or at a bad time.

Nothing Can Get Through That

When you walk through any walls or defenses that stand in your way, roll +Fade. On a 10+, you get exactly where you want, nothing can stop you. On a 7-9, choose 1:

You’re sliding closer to the void. Take 1-Fade.

You come ‘back’ earlier than expected or hoped.

Ouch! Should have been more careful about where you came ‘back’. Take 1d6 damage, and you leave traces of yourself in the surroundings.

Void Aegis

When blows meant for you hit nothing instead, roll +Fade. On a 10+ you completely avoid any harm of any sort; take 1-Fade. On a 7-9, you take half of the harm you attempted to avoid, from either the void or the original source of damage; as well as 1-Fade.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, Fade isn't entirely a beneficial kind of hold. It makes your fade powers more reliable, but it also puts you closer to the edge. Falling Into Oblivion is basically just another hard move your GM can throw at you.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm sure people can tell which end of the move is a miss on that one :downs:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow I really like the Skydancer a LOT :syoon:

Seriously though I love how Inverse World has such a focus on the exotic methods people use get around. Back when I played Pathfinder I was always trying to make weirdly mobile characters (and fighting the system the entire way :().

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just gonna say that I'm working a full-scale DW playbook now, called the Stolen. Keep an eye out for it :dance:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kai Tave posted:

This is going to sound incredibly egotistical, but if anybody ever does give my Warlord playbook a spin would you please let me know how it goes? I'm constantly on the verge of going all-in and gussying it up in pdf form and maybe even putting it up for sale, but I'd love some actual player feedback.

That doesn't sound egotistical at all, I'm having similar concerns.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yo, can I get some feedback on my playbook I've been working on the past few days? Good, bad, utter poo poo? Things that need fixing, things that should be cut, things that simply Should Not Be?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think my big problem is other than "You were taken by assholes" and "You are no longer the same person", I'm not sure which move concepts should be core to this playbook. It seemed to me that if you were going to have a weird thing stolen from your masters that it should probably be in from the start, otherwise it seems like it just appears from the aether when you take the advance. Frankly I'm probably just bad at coming up with weird and interesting magical talismans.

Also, I'm not sure if it's clear that you're supposed to take Agg. Alt. OR Shaped as a starting move, so there isn't really 6 starting moves here. Still, Alien Culture probably should be a 2-5 advance.

I'm definitely not trying to just rip the Oddysee feel here; it's inspired by a couple of other things as well, including Changeling: the Lost.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Right now my core concepts are "slave-turned revolutionary", "body-warping", and "stolen things/magic/skills".

The story-weaving, reality-as-fiction thing is a CC of mine though :v:

Here's version 2: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lPsYAl_E5XJH-AbffZGTZsUAH-Ofsr6s95UWY7lD0_I/edit?usp=sharing

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 18, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If nobody's got any problems with it, The Fading is complete as far as I am concerned.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, it's drat near 4 in the morning here but I've been re-thinking this all night and here's The Stolen V3. I've messed with quite a few things here, tell me if this is any better.

I think I need another 2-5 move and a 6-10 move to fill out the move list. It would probably be best if those added to the 'warped flesh' concept, but I can't think of anything at the moment. Any thoughts?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fluffy and Enduring Atlas both sound like loving awesome ideas for moves. Remembering Babe the Giant Blue Ox :allears:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lemon critique my Stolen playbook already geez <:mad:>

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh hey, it's that time again~~~

Stolen V4: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w07GkjT_1--y0WLGumT0PKBW4xwCjPiDg8fBPK_oyDk/edit?usp=sharing

I think it's probably polished enough to call it good and ready for play, though I'm still taking suggestions.

E: Really my biggest problem is I don't know which options I want to go under Aggressively Altered and which under Self-Made Man

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 29, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Could you work the Stolen into one of them :swoon:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe take a look at this?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I did two things tonight!

One, I finished up making my DW playbook look like a real playbook oh my god. Gnome if you could replace my old Stolen Link with this new one I'd very much obliged. I might try put it up on DTRPG now that it actually looks finished. Thanks to zarathud for creating that template!

Also, I noticed that ElegantFugue's Marksman didn't have a PDF version in the OP so I created one, I hope they don't mind.

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 11, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I keep finding mistakes and doing the whole song and dance of editing and exporting and uploading and sharing aghhh :shepicide:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B05Z9acyrLSiZ1FlU2dTa0dhb2c/edit?usp=sharing

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is the Barbarian in the OP an outdated version? I know that the finalized version is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3269630/Barbarian.pdf

E: also, are The Supreme Court's Brute and Fenarisk's Brute supposed to be the same document?

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Feb 12, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All the same, there's kind of a certain level of etiquette one should follow, or at least so I think.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Read a playbook with some really bizarre design decisions. Like "half of your advanced moves require one of the 2-5 moves" weird.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
6-10s aren't as egregious though. This one had like 5 moves in the 2-5 section keying off a 6th.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How to plan on saying intelligible things?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tell him to stop thinking so hard about it

alternatively tell him to think a little harder. dungeon world doesn't do high granularity; if the adventurer dude is better at one task involving strength than another, it's not gonna matter unless it's a big thing in the character's fiction. if it's a big thing in the fiction, then it'd be something that you swap the racial/origin move out for, or pick up as a compendium class, or have as a result of a magic talisman that makes him the best swimmer in the kingdom, or something idk

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
3.5 causes brain damage

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Your player sounds problematic. Don't do any passive-aggressive bullshit to try get him to shape up, just confront him directly. If he refuses to hold up his part of the social contract boot him.

That being said, this

Babe Magnet posted:

"Oh it just didn't work, moving on"

is something to avoid. Failure should make things more interesting, rather than just throwing a wall up in front of the player. Maybe he teleports in successfully (and lands on somebody or something who'd been taking a nap who immediately raises the alarm), maybe he teleports halfway through something and ends up having to do something drastic and unstealthy to break free, maybe he teleports in to find somebody burglarizing the place who doesn't want to share :v:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Just don't be a dick who tries to sell other people's playbooks with minimal edits. :v:

When did this happen :allears:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aren't the four implements of magic wands, swords, cups, and pentacles or something anyway

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
basically what i'm saying is I want to play a wizard who destroys his enemies with magic pentacle coins

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no, a d20+d2 has a different set of result probability. better idea: don't use d22s

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
big bad guy who is literally sauron

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deltasquid posted:

Haven't watched LoTR in like 10 years. Is what I described really that similar? drat.

nah, but big s survived an absurd amount of things, including at least two apocalyptic events and the physical destruction of his body more than one once iirc

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ratpick posted:

[*]Death appears in front of the Ranger, offering the Ranger "Your life in exchange for a life in my service." Effectively, the Ranger will thus become one of Death's reapers. The Ranger accepts the deal. As the Ranger emerges from the debris of the now collapsed castle without a scratch on him Death appears once again, saying "Now, you hold your end of the bargain." The Ranger simply gives Death his pet bird (named "Bird") and says "You did say a life in your service, not my life." Bird becomes the first Bird to become one of Death's servants as the Ranger walks away, but not before Death gives him one last bony finger.

excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slydingdoor posted:

If anyone's interested, you can get a new class book called the Immolator when you join a donation drive.

literally judging a book by its cover, but that sounds like a rather narrow concept