Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kubert
Aug 9, 2010
In my DW campaign, enemies rarely survive more than two to three successful attacks. This is true for the unique and more powerful enemies, although they might survive one or two more hits than something else. The real challenge to taking them down isn't a large health pool, rather they use the terrain to their advantage, have access to deadly weapons and abilities, and all sorts of things that makes it difficult to even land a successful attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kubert
Aug 9, 2010

Boing posted:

That reminds me, I asked a few pages ago when everyone was posting playbooks but it didn't get any attention. What kind of deals with Death have you guys done in your games? I found it hard to think of 7-9 Last Breath results on the fly, it would be nice to have a bit of a bank to draw on. Do you relate it to the manner of death? Setting arbitrary goals for characters that could plausibly come from Death itself seem tricky to pull off well

To start coming up with ideas for deals with Death, first try to think about what Death really wants. This will vary from game to game, but some general points about Death could be that he hates when souls are stolen from his realm (through resurrection, interdimensional prison breaks, etc), perhaps he despises any and all attempts at immortality, or maybe he's just a fan of death and suffering in general. Once you get a basic idea of what Death's all about, it gets a bit easier to come up with deals he might make. Kill the lich who has made an attempt at immortality, destroy the altar at the cathedral where resurrections are performed, break the old man's prism which he uses to trap souls and prevent them from crossing over.

A great way to remind the player of their deal is to mark the character's body with Death's emblem. Maybe some common folk or superstitious individuals recognize it and act accordingly. And if the character ignores or fail to fulfill their end of the bargain, well, Death's mark might serve as a beacon for his wraiths...

I've had success with this, and my players have had a lot of fun with it. Speaking of, ask your players! Talk with them about what Death is after and what an appropriate bargain might be.

Kubert
Aug 9, 2010

neonchameleon posted:

Are drop bears a common thing, or are they something that only show up in my game? Our druid's favourite special move is to turn into a bat or bird, fly over the enemy, then suddenly bear.

This was a popular tactic for one of my players who was playing a druid. After a while he started to opt out of this line of attack due to much bruising from falling on enemies and pointy weapons.