Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Tentatively the 'final' version of Agram's Temple, now with Agram having a move to eat people and an expanded list of items!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

After someone pointed out the Slave Pits of Drazhu as a model, I've modeled the loot tables in my stuff after that. Specifically, a table of random objects where each entry is two items. I semi-randomly select stuff from the list, and present the choice of which item of the pair is actually present to the player.

Example: I prepared this list for a game, but actually wound up not giving out any of it as the PCs were uncharacteristically non-kleptomaniacal:

Junk

A gnawed femur (close, clumsy)/A brass button
A rusty can opener/A spring
A crossbow bolt/A mysterious flask
Brass knuckles for a person with three fingers/An alligator skull
A switchblade that refuses to switch/Five nails
A rough garnet/A copper nugget
Some mushrooms/A cloudy wine bottle
A handful of lead shot/A badly carved figurine of a bear
Half a set of manacles/A muddy prayer flag

Stuff

A notched sword (close)/An axe handle
Three serrated knives (hand)/An engraved bronze cylinder
A crate of mason jars/A book of poems
An alligator totem/A walking stick with a carved alligator face
A necklace of fangs/A heavy leather mask
A steel left gauntlet/A short but heavy rope
A wooden shield with iron spikes (Armor +1)/A mysteriously glowing glass fishing float
A gun barrel with a muzzle brake shaped like a dragon/Seventeen brass hexagons
A cleaver with ‘GURT’ scratched into it (+1 Damage, hand)/An ocarina

Good Stuff

Twenty-four gold coins with a hole in them, looped on a string/A pearl-handled razor (+1 damage, hand)
A magic wand/A necklace with a twisted iron pendant
A consecrated iron spike/A hymnbook
A gold ring/A forged letter from Baron Helmsworn that says you’re “good people”
A crystal ball/A set of onyx game tiles with gold inlay
A portrait on wood planks/A magnificently plumed helm

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Regular DM was poisoned, so I ran a one-shot. From an initial seed of ruins in the woods with clockwork artifacts, we went with a surface ruin containing a paranoid and hostile goat-druid, and beneath that were the ruins of a gnomish robot factory. They fought a couple robots with mostly minor wounds, and then they came to the giant robot at the root of the disaster.

They threw the thief onto its face, where he proceeded to cling on for dear life while slowly stabbing out its six eyes. The giant robot then smashed the gladiator into a wall, almost killing him, but the gladiator came back swinging: when the giant 'bot withdrew its arm, the gladiator was clinging onto it, and he stabbed his way up to the elbow where he severed the giant robot's arm.

While that was going on, the bard found the factory's bridge crane. She grasped its function immediately, and swung the crane's claw over and grabbed the giant robot's back. The gladiator then grabbed onto the giant robot's foot and dragged the opposite direction, pushing himself beyond his limits and taking damage in the process. This tore the giant robot in half, after which the gladiator claimed its robo-heart for himself.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

If there's somebody throwing big damage, things die really fast if the pcs can get their hits in without interruption. The only way I've found to make things survive for any length is to make sure there's several hoops to jump through in between each damage roll. Like, giving something every hp boosting template makes you wind up with something like 30, and you're basically throwing down with turbo cthulhu. Your normal elite mook will probably have 15 hp and 3 armor, which gets chewed through in three or four attacks or so unless people pooch their rolls. Heck, half the combats I run don't even end with enemy hp hitting zero; guys keep getting pushed into lava or disenchanted or torn in half, which I figure triggers death regardless.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I decided to go ahead and buy this, when I get it (I went ahead and got a printed copy, I think I have to wait for someone to manually send me a pdf link?) I can do a short review for anyone on the fence. The author posted the playbooks at the link above, though, if anyone wants to take a look.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

As a GM, should I be listing the animal moves at the time of the shapeshift? Usually my players will say something like, "Alright, I'm a bison now, can I spend a hold to headbutt him across the room?" and then I say "Sure" and forever more we know that "Headbutt a dude across the room" is an ox move.

Some animal moves Druids have done in my games:

Mouse:
-Disappear through a tiny crack

Badger:
-Dig your claws into their face

Giant Eagle:
-Carry them off

Walrus:
-Pin them down with your bulk

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

In the spirit of the season:

The Fool
When you play a delightful prank, roll +DEX. On a 10+, choose 2. On a 7-9, choose 1.
*The target, and only the target, is made to look incredibly silly
*It's all fun and games--nobody gets hurt
*Everyone still respects you

The Bunny
When you crack open a colorful egg, roll with no bonus. On a 10+, it contains a delicious candy, a small sum of money, or a delightful little widget; the DM will tell you. On a 7-9, it contains a piece of candy you don't really like, a paltry sum, or a gizmo that only works once--and not very well, at that. On a 6- it contains a small (but angry) snake, a furious hornet, or a surprising amount of spiders.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I've considered writing a list of "day jobs" that would provide a Racial Move level of benefit, and then everyone would choose 1 to start with.

Something like:

Navigator: You know the stars like the back of your hand. When you have a clear view of the sky, you can spend a moment to accurately determine direction and approximate location.

Wanderer: You know how to pack efficiently. When you pack for a journey, choose one item of weight 2 or less: while it stays packed, it counts as weight 0.

Drunk: Other drunks like you. When you buy a round for a group of strangers, the DM will tell you a local rumor. While the rumor may be false, the strangers believe it to be true.

Caballero: You can accomplish amazing feats with rope. You are familiar with all knots and can tie knots that slip, hold fast, slide slowly, or come apart with a sharp tug. In addition to any other gear, you start with a lasso (Reach, Weight 1, Stun).

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

PublicOpinion posted:

I decided to go ahead and buy this, when I get it (I went ahead and got a printed copy, I think I have to wait for someone to manually send me a pdf link?) I can do a short review for anyone on the fence. The author posted the playbooks at the link above, though, if anyone wants to take a look.

I never bought anything on Lulu before and didn't expect a fast turnaround, so I was surprised (and slightly disappointed--I was hoping that the parcel-box key in the mail meant Last Stand had shown up) when this arrived today. After emailing the author he did in fact send me a pdf version, but in the time between then and now I hadn't done more than skim it.

It's about a third the size of the core DW book.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I think "Psychic Warrior" has a neat B-movie appeal.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Moose King's thief has a custom racial move to get add this poison to the list:
"-Yellowbell Extract (Applied): The Target becomes easily frightened of even mundane happenings."

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Overemotional Robot posted:

I have yet to play this but I've read through the core book and am reading through the Goon-made GM guide now. I went through the classes in the OP and I vaguely remember some kind of class book that had a drawing of a robot in it, but now I can't find it. I know World of Dungeons has a robot class, but I could have sworn I saw another one that somebody made for Dungeon World. Anybody have an idea of what I'm talking about?

There's the Engine of Destruction from Dungeon Planet, though there isn't any art in the free character sheets I'm linking there.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Elmo Oxygen posted:

It's been about a month since I wrote and posted The Medic, has anyone here used it or seen it in play? My own DW game has been on hiatus while we play Apocalypse World, so I haven't gotten any first-hand accounts of how the class is working out. If anyone has any notes for me, I'd appreciate it!

I hadn't looked at it before, but now that I have, I may use a Multiclass move to scoop up Autopsy for my Templar.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I've used Dwarf Fortress to spit out a world map in the past.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I'm working on a handful of 'racial' compendium classes. Here's what I've got so far. The Built is the only one that is 'filled out', even if it's still pretty rough drafty. Need two or three more moves for The Ancient, and four or five each for the rest.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Finally got around to writing another Monster Ecology thing: The Betrayer, an attempt to put together a different take on the "Chaotic Evil horde opposed to all that is good". I still want to add some more art to it, specifically an action piece and a drawing of the Betrayer Seer. Can anyone give me any additional feedback on it?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

gnome7 posted:

On the topic of feedback: Shoutout to PublicOpinion for all his awesome monsters. The big detailed google docs you post on them are very high quality and I highly recommend any of them for an adventure. A single one of those ecologies is enough to run an entire session off of.

Hurray! Ah, vindication. And speaking of, I've updated the Betrayer write up to (hopefully) catch the last of the typos, and also include more art:

PUNCH ALL EVIL IN THE FACE.

Also, started sketching for the next one, which I was originally planning on releasing alongside the Betrayer as the 'lawful' to their 'chaotic', but I got impatient:

The Hammerhand, a nine-foot implacable judge who enforces the law without pity. When all you have is a hammer, every crime gets a hammering!

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

For people who want to playtest their poo poo, I'm planning to run a one-shot tomorrow (tomorrow from my time zone--April 20) at 4:00 Pacific. Non-core playbooks only, level 3 characters, post here if you're down.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Well, got three people in for the one-shot. Had an Artificer, a Sharpshooter, and a Fae (Brownie). Sharpshooter seemed a bit overpowered with the +2d4 damage (which was theoretically offset by only being able to focus on one target at a time, but anything he shot once pretty much exploded so it was never a real drawback).

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

madadric posted:

Oooh! I'd love to hear how the fae played!

One of these days ill get the opportunity to join one of your games, playing over Skype sounded awesome, unfortunately family commitments meant I wouldn't be able to give the game the attention it deserves.

She might write up some feedback later, but here's how it looked from the DM side:

I think it being a thrown-together one-shot kind of hurt the Brownie, since in ordinary circumstances you could make sure the party counted as nice mortals to help rather than the murderiest pair of murder hobos to ever wander into a cave and kill poo poo.

She went with the hive of bees as a weapon, which is a great gear choice to offer. Didn't do hardly any direct damage, but I figured most enemies would be severely hindered by a swarm of bees in the face. Plus it let the boss monster look tough by sitting perfectly still while bees crawled across his eyes.

When the party was getting its poo poo kicked in by a giant boar-man, she used glamour to fake being a boar-person and pulled the old "these are my prisoners, take us all to the center of the dungeon" trick. She then used that 'technically true' move to convince the dangerous boar-man that the other enemies were planning on sacrificing him along with the other prisoners. Using the boar-man as a weapon was considerably more damaging than the bees, because he mostly just crushed heads. I made her occasionally defy danger +CHA to keep the illusion up if something happened that I thought might disrupt the illusion, and also defy +STR once during the fight to maintain the boar-man's trust.

Also: The Artificer had jump-boots as one of his inventions, and at one point jumped onto an enemy, kicked it in the face to launch himself higher, and then used his wrist-mounted flamethrower to hose down a beefy monster. It was pretty rad.

He also did a jump-boot shoryuken at one point. Basically jump-boots are great.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 21, 2013

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Ningyou posted:

I really enjoyed playing a Brownie! I was initially worried that it might be pretty rough playing one in what started out looking like a pretty combat-centric party, but the moves were flexible enough to be pretty useful and kinda encouraged you to get creative [and, well...masquerading as AN ENORMOUS TERRIFYING BOAR REALLY YOU GUYS and rambling for like a minute straight in an attempt to not-*technically*-tell-a-lie-but-y'know was really *fun*]

I kinda wish the wasp launcher inflicted some kind of stun condition or w/e 'cos in the session it just ended up feeling like a bog-standard projectile weapon ~but with bees~? Otherwise, though, pretty fun to play!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/z5ok4x <---recording from the one-shot, if anyone's curious.

As a visual aid, these were the overworld maps I used when I was setting up the one-shot:

Since I didn't have a real plan, I just threw those together and asked the players what place looked interesting to have an adventure near. I should've guessed that the mountain with a skull on it would be the obvious answer.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

MadRhetoric posted:

Yeah, the Sharpshooter does have +1/-1 to Volley. The Marksman has ranged Exterminatus. As EF said, they might have been playing that one.

e: Whoops, I can't even keep the name of my own class straight. The Sharpshooter is mine. The Marksman is EF's.

The Sharpshooter link in the OP still specifies the +2d4/-4 to damage.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Isn't the Boon thing just the currency the Fae uses to fuel some of its powers, and is specific to that class?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

So I'm planning on starting up a Skype/Roll20 game this summer, and as Dungeon World is the new hotness, that's what I'm planning on going with. Plus, every time I think of another system, I remember initiative being a thing and go "nah."

I want to run it as a side-game in my Tower setting, and the ideal thing would be to gin up a whole new set of base classes (and a different set of stats), but that'd take time/effort. I've gotten a start on it, but I'd like to kick off the game pretty quick after the semester ends, so I'm thinking mostly reskinning+some alternate class features+different racial moves and probably replacing Alignments.

So, proposed changes:

Basic moves:
Volley - Firearms holding multiple rounds will be the norm, so I'm thinking of giving most ranged weapons a tag along the line of "Mechanical" and adding "*Something minor goes wrong with your weapon, but it's useless until you can spend a minute to fix it" to the 7-9 choices. I think that's pretty distinct from the "place yourself in danger" choice
Special moves:
Make Camp, Take Watch, Undertake a Perilous Journey - My vision for the game is that the players will be the poo poo-listed maintenance crew and other people who are very competent but politically oblivious who have to go into the tunnels when something breaks, so the game would be broken into discrete "jobs" with a return to base in between. I'm thinking of completely junking Undertake into "Get Debriefed" where the PCs try to justify their budget.
Outstanding Warrants - need to change the options, probably relate them to whichever politicking faction is angry with the team at moment.

Core Classes:
Gear will need to be changed, but I figure that bit of reskinning can be farmed out to players.
The Bard - Need to come up with a different Lore list. Thoughts: "Important Bureaucrats, Notable Boondoggles, Dangerous Experiments". Need to replace A Port in a Storm, perhaps to refer to specific locations or establishments within the area.
Cleric - Out. Pretty much no god is going to give that amount of power to the kind of characters I'm hoping to get as PCs.
Druid - Need to strip out the nature bits. Druids are now monsters of bizarre science and black magic. Possible Born of the Soil replacement options: "The Rusty Engines, The Shimmering Electrons, The Howling Abyss, The Dark Corners, The Empty Dust". By Nature Sustained: socialized food for everyone in this terrible dystopia, so this no longer has much utility, but it's not super utility-having to start with in all honesty.
Fighter - Don't think it needs to change outside of reskinning.
Paladin - There actually is a god that would be down with giving magic to a guy who'll go around personally murdering dudes, but the Quest goals would have to go and the Vows would have to change. Stuff about Strength, Obedience, Bravery, Suffering, and killing cowards, traitors, or some third thing that's offensive to the Lizard-man War God. Lay on Hands would only work on injuries sustained while doing honorable combat.
Ranger - Animal Companion would be a robot, trained Bogor Hound, or bound Shadow. Add some other trainings to represent an instinctive aptitude for technology or magic. Wild Empathy would only apply to things that share some commonality with your companion. I actually wouldn't mind God Among the Wastes, because someone who is all about divine magic would be weird but somebody who has heard the heretical whispering of a Hostile Outside Entity while wandering the endless tunnels would be neat.
Thief - Explicitly expand 'trap' to include things that aren't designed to be dangerous, but have become so due to lax maintenance and construction standards. Maybe add a few new poisons, like Static Goo (Touch): For 27 hours, halts the regeneration of a regenerating creature (PS lots of the weird poo poo in the tunnels can regrow limbs)
Wizard - Out. While proscribed and logical magic is present in the setting, the Wizard doesn't quite have the "magic is dangerous poo poo for crazy people" vibe I'm looking for.

Third Party Classes I Have Known:
Templar - Hell yeah.
Medic - Great fit, I think.
Fae - May work as a Shadow if the player is willing to help me homebrew some changes.
Witch - Broomstick may be too whimsical, and also less applicable in the various derelict tunnels.
Leader - Seems like it'd work.
Noble - Different Elite Trainings, perhaps, especially ditching Horsemanship.
Mage - Focus should be an emotion, and the Shadows you command would be associated with that emotion. (Magic in the Tower world is done by commanding emotion-consuming spirits). Something like, Focus: Rage, Look: Bulging Veins, Gritted Teeth, Clenched Fists, Aligned: Incite Riot, Blast Apart, Hulk Out, Opposed: Not Wrecking poo poo, Evasion. Sorry it doesn't start with 'The' but 'The Rage' sounds silly. I guess I could go with something like 'The Burning Rage'
...hmmm, or 'The Fury.' poo poo, maybe all Mages should be MGS3 bosses.
Gladiator - Somehow don't have this one downloaded, but from seeing it in play it seems pretty rad.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

:(

You want a copy of the Initiate?

Actually turns out I have that one, I just hadn't read it previously (sorry) and missed it when I was going through my downloads folder because the filename doesn't start with "The"! Looking at it now, that would actually work really well. There are a bunch of potential player races that are just as dangerous unarmed, either because they're a weird monster or a robot, and The Initiate would work great for that.

CitizenKeen posted:

@PublicOpinion: Somewhat unrelated, but is the art in that Tower thread (which looks dope) yours?

Don't know enough about DW, but glad to see someone's got a rather non-D&D campaign setting that they're willing to hack into DW. Gives me inspiration.

Yep, that's my art.

Oh, and after typing that up, I went and did this:

MGS3 Emotional Spell Foci

Focus: The Pain
Look: Scarred Skin, Grotesque Swellings, Cloud of Insects
Aligned: Inflict Painful Wounds, Command Vermin to Attack, Ignore Your Own Pain
Opposed: Saving Anyone From Pain, Not Utilizing Vermin as Part of the Spell

Focus: The Fear
Look: Backwards Joints, Long Tongue, Slitted Pupils
Aligned: Escape from Danger, Sow the Seeds of Inevitable Death, Breed Paranoia
Opposed: Inflict Direct and Immediate Harm, Meeting a Foe on Equal Terms

Focus: The End
Look: Ancient Flesh, Tangled Beard , Tired Eyes
Aligned: Take a Life, Sustain Yourself, Listen to the Earth
Opposed: Harming an Unworthy Opponent, Fighting Dirty

Focus: The Fury
Look: Blistered Skin, Bulging Veins, No Indoor Voice
Aligned: Set It On Fire, Get Into The Fight, Wantonly Destroy
Opposed: Using Spells Without Destruction, Moderating Your Power

Focus: The Sorrow
Look: Pallid Skin, Perpetually Wet, Bloody Tears
Aligned: Make Them Face Their Crimes, Hear the Spirits, Move Without Trace
Opposed: Dealing Direct Harm, Disrespecting the Dead

Focus: The Joy
Look: Grim Face, Lined Skin, Hard Eyes
Aligned: Purify with Burning Light, Shatter an Obstacle, Go Beyond Human Frailty
Opposed: Not Serving the Mission, Not Putting Yourself in Danger

I think some of these versions are too specific to the Cobra Unit to work except as a gimmick, but interesting to think about and use as a starting point.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 28, 2013

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Urge to make a hack based on Metal Gear solid rising.

It seems like the best way to approach it would be from the 'evil' side, as it's always the bad guys who have a team (full of weird people with unique skills). It seems like every boss would make an obvious playbook. The Duelist, The Psychic, The Sniper, The Giant, The Cyborg Ninja, The Decoy, The Clone, The Vampire, The Bomber. Well, maybe not every boss, but really, where could you go with Fortune.

EDIT: The first player of the first character to die would get handed the Cyborg Ninja, and would then jump into the scene as needed to pursue their own goal. The Cyborg Ninja must then die at the climax of the session, and can only die then.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 28, 2013

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No Shaman? You monster.

The mechanical tag/additional option on Volley sounds perfectly fine, although "a minute" is long - should be "several seconds," probably; it doesn't take that long to clear a jam or restring a bow.

Looking at the Shaman, it would sort of work, but it'd need to be rejiggered to focus on the Shadows instead of ghosts, and so would sort of overlap with a reskinned Druid. My idea for the Tower and related cosmologies is that the souls of the dead very quickly get consumed by the world unless you make specific ritual preparations before the person actually dies--this was actually the basis for my Monster Ecology things, which mostly all have "Dead person gets eaten by world -> to protect itself, the world spits out the bad parts of their soul as a monster" theme.

And "several seconds" does sound like a better timeframe; I went with "a minute" since "a moment" seemed to short.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Did my part, and also reblogged out on the tumblrs.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Doodmons posted:

How about "a dangerously long moment" - it makes it much more apparent that you're going to be going "aaaaahhhhh gently caress, come on, clear already" while bullets whiz around you.

That might work. The major utility of adding the extra volley move, as I see it, is that you can choose it and not spend resources, put yourself in danger, or reduce your damage, but suddenly your team is left without supporting fire--looking out for number one is a big part of the setting, plus the fact that your gun could theoretically be breaking down after every shot reinforces the "everything is junk" theme.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

gnome7 posted:

It's 2:30am, I'm just gonna dump the conversation in question:

[02:35] Gnome I think being "ridiculously huge" works fine in normal Dungeon World. The GM moves are even based around it - Show an Underside of their Class/Gear/Abilities especially
[02:36] Gnome Oh no, you can't fit through the door! That's a GM move. Now what do you do?
[02:36] Gnome And there's gameplay. You can build a story out of that.
[02:36] Gnome "I rip open the wall." And then consequences happen!
[02:36] Gnome Or maybe "I sit outside and wait, keeping watch."
[02:37] Gnome Well now the party's surely safe if anyone was following them, the Giant is on watch
[02:37] Gnome and he can see over the treeline!

I'd worry about that turning into "The Giant and Friends Show", where everything has to be bent around the giant. If all the PCs were giants or otherwise some kind of monster who has to make a real effort to get along in society it'd be rad, though.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Mikan posted:

I dunno, I don't see "literally a" Giant as being any more or less defining and spotlight-stealing than "I can turn into every animal ever" Druids and "watch me reshape reality with minor effort" Wizards.

The difference for me there is that the wizard can choose not to reshape reality, and the druid can choose to be a guy with weird growths on his head, but the giant can never not be giant. I'm less worried about the giant doing things beyond the capabilities of the other characters, and more about not being able to do the things every other character can.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

For a pure fiction move, maybe one that lets you talk to statues--either open ended, or a specific list of questions.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Maybe make Immovable Object just straight-up do what what it says: "When you plant your feet on stone, no force can shift you for as long as you stand fast."

EDIT: Great minds think alike

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Is the current version of the Mage the one where the player always chooses the consequences of their spell? I could've sworn the updated version was either player chooses two or GM chooses 1, but none of the ones linked in the OP have that.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

This has come up enough in the campaign I'm a part of that I think it deserves its own move:

Hurl

When you grab something that wasn't meant to be thrown, heft it up with both hands, and send it sailing through the air, roll +STR. On a 10+, it lands where you wanted; you may deal your damage. On a 7-9, choose one:
*It hits what you were aiming at but causes damage to things you'd rather it didn't
*It requires a running start and leaves you briefly winded but lands where you wanted
*It doesn't quite land where you wanted, the GM decides where and what happens

I think that's better than just adding a "Heavy Thrown: You can Volley with STR instead of DEX when throwing this thing" tag

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Got around to using the Hireling rules for the first time last session. A bit crunchier than I'd like for using on the fly, and we wound up ignoring most of the actual mechanics for their skills. Has anyone ginned together a lightweight replacement? I'm thinking of just giving them FATE aspects and if you have a hireling help you, you get +1 if their aspect applies (or possibly -1 if their aspect applies in a bad way)?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Maybe take the Improved Fighter from the 2nd post and replace I'm Your Opponent with the Ranger's Hunt and Track move?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Prowave Tierdash posted:

So last session the wizard in my game started getting weird, invasive nightmares from an obvious malefic presence (I won't say what since this player reads these boards!), so he decides to cast a ritual to set a trap in his mind while he sleeps for whatever keeps haunting him. When I tell him he can do this, but he exposes himself to a direct confrontation with this entity in his dreams, he asks if he can bring the party along and lo and behold we suddenly have an inception adventure. This kind of thing would never happen in D&D, Dungeon World rocks so hard.

Anyway, I told the players I would need some time to think about this, so we decided to put the dream world adventure off until today's session. I was toying with some ideas on how to give the players a good deal of creative control while in the dream (just like the main characters in inception can alter the dream), and I suddenly got the idea of changing Discern Realities into Define Realities. So here's my rough sketch for the custom move and I'd like input:

pre:
Define Realities
Whenever you attempt to bend the dream to your will, roll+Wis.  
On a 10+, the GM asks you 3 questions from the Discern Realities list.  
On a 7-9, the GM asks you one question from the discern reality list.  
Anything you say suddenly becomes fact within the dream, at least until someone else changes it.  
On a 6-, the malefic entity gets to Define Reality instead.
The way I imagine this is lets say a player attempts to Define Reality in order to escape the enemy invading her mind. He rolls an 8, so I ask him "What here is not what it seems?" and she responds "The floor is made of candy and I eat my way through it!" And suddenly the player is eating his way through a delicious floor to escape his foe.

Next session of the game I'm playing in will involve going into another party member's head to try and kill some kind of spectral parasite, so I'll be sure to forward this along.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Here's a thought about a Logical replacement:

quote:

Diviner

When you perform a divination ritual, you can discern realities with INT instead of WIS.

It could be as simple as pulling out a dousing rod or dealing some tarot cards, so it's still broadly applicable, but I think it might be more evocative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, I should go with just "a divination" instead of "a divination ritual". But in any case, I think the commonality is that the Wizard using INT for DR should find it taking some effort, obvious to observers, or unsuited for polite company.

Heck, there should be a follow-up move where you can take +1 forward the stranger and more unsettling you make your process. Cast some knucklebones? Sure, use INT. Sever a goblin's head with a pen knife, put a votive candle in its mouth and stare into its eyes while chanting a plea to Gerretu, the Strider of the Void? Gotta be some kind of bonus for that.