Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Hol Horse gets a cameo about 31 seconds in, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pomp posted:

Hi, Iggy.

Ah, caught it too.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Can't wait for the OP change later into the series for more glorious animated stuff

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Two episodes in and my favorite thing about this is they are using the trippy battle style to make sure we get to see all the different colorways for people's stands/hair/outfits. They're all canon. :3:

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
Weird though that Kakyoin has white hair through most of (but not all) the OP. Jotaro's a different color scheme from in the show and his jacket becomes pink at one point, but it's pretty subtle. It's probably going make newbies think something happens to Kakyoin's hair.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I'm so excited to see the final battle in GLORIOUS TECHNICOLOR. Just trying to picture it is making me giddy.

We still don't even know how many episodes this series is going to be, right?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Well Manicured Man posted:

I'm so excited to see the final battle in GLORIOUS TECHNICOLOR. Just trying to picture it is making me giddy.

Based on the pace so far it's looking like a 3 cour series, which would mean 39 glorious episodes of JoJo.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Well Manicured Man posted:

Considered, they hinted at the loving Sun in the OP, I think it's going to be pretty long.

Next episode is probably all exposition as well, if the preview is anything to go by.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Tobaccrow posted:

Weird though that Kakyoin has white hair through most of (but not all) the OP. Jotaro's a different color scheme from in the show and his jacket becomes pink at one point, but it's pretty subtle. It's probably going make newbies think something happens to Kakyoin's hair.

Bloody Stream had the same thing with Joseph and his purple hair.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Pomp posted:

Hi, Iggy.

You mean Hol Horse.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Based on the pace so far it's looking like a 3 cour series, which would mean 39 glorious episodes of JoJo.

Actually, we're a few pages into chapter 7 right now, so at the current speed it's looking more like ~51 episodes. They could probably still fit it in 3 cours if they pick up the pace once they're done with the story stuff at the beginning, but honestly I don't mind if they stretch things out a bit since so far their idea of stretching seems to be "let's put some more gorgeous animation in the battles".

Kurtofan posted:

Considered, they hinted at the loving Sun in the OP, I think it's going to be pretty long.

Next episode is probably all exposition as well, if the preview is anything to go by.

I'm guessing they'll stick the Tower of Gray fight at the end since it's really short (as in, the Sun short) and they're only about 2 chapters away from it.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Who's your favorite Pillar Man? Mine is Santviento.
Yeah I'm 'looking forward' to the rest of the name changes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
His name change is San Tan, actually and you should probably chill out about this because it's not really a big deal.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Well, he's the first one. In case we find another, we should call him San Tan A.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Steak Justice posted:

Who's your favorite Pillar Man? Mine is Santviento.
Yeah I'm 'looking forward' to the rest of the name changes.

The rest are just Kars, Wamuu and Esidisi which are their official names anyway.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What the gently caress is a Cour?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Pomp posted:

What the gently caress is a Cour?
Weaboo for a 12-episode season.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

BUSU BUSU BUSU BUSU BUSU
PECHAPAI PECHAPAI PECHAPAI

is no

ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA
MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA

but it was a fun bit of teasing.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

Weaboo for a 12-episode season.

It's French but ok.

Basically, anime is produced entirely in a cour-based model where production largely centers around a grouping of episodes that corresponds to a single season of the year (12-13 episodes). The reason this isn't called a season is because 'seasons' in television, particularly in the United States, has taken on the meaning of a single continuous airing of new material, what corresponds to a single largely uninterrupted production cycle. For example, Season 5 of Adventure Time was like fifty two episodes and spanned two years. Production in the US doesn't revolve around cours as most shows are expected to air in perpetuity (and are funded by the networks themselves), whereas the cour is basically the 'basic' unit of Japanese television corresponding to the smallest block of time you generally can rent from a network to air your show.

So in other words, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, the anime adapting Parts 1 and 2 of the JoJo manga, aired over two cours (~25 episodes), and was a single "season". Stardust Crusaders is the 'second season' of that anime, and will probably be two to three cours in total.

Japanese media practices are weird yo.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Well it makes sense what with how they actually finish shows and move onto new material a lot. It gets a little confusing with longer running programs though yeah.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
You know what would be cool if they just went the route of the long runners and ignored the cours and just animated the rest of the series. (Part 8 would likely be done by the time they got to it anyway.)

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Yeah no because that would make the animation nosedive

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ok then they should at least do one Jojo series a year.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
If it makes them enough money, of course they'll do it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I figure there's no way Part 3 does poorly, so Part 4 is practically guaranteed to happen. I really hope they make it to Part 6 though; I like prisons as a setting for drama, I like the powers I've heard about, and girl-Jojo sounds like a neat change of pace.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Jolyne is the hardest Jojo, if not the best. Read part 6.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'll be happy as long as they get to Bruno and Zipper Man.
Though Johnny would be optimal.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I figure there's no way Part 3 does poorly, so Part 4 is practically guaranteed to happen. I really hope they make it to Part 6 though; I like prisons as a setting for drama, I like the powers I've heard about, and girl-Jojo sounds like a neat change of pace.

Part 4 will happen because as you said they're printing money with part 3, then I'm fairly sure part 5 is also pretty popular so there's little to no chance that fails as well. I'm pretty sure we're at least going to get to part 6.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kabanaw posted:

Part 4 will happen because as you said they're printing money with part 3, then I'm fairly sure part 5 is also pretty popular so there's little to no chance that fails as well. I'm pretty sure we're at least going to get to part 6.
Well, if they get all the way to 6, of course they'll need to do 7. That's where the manga really kicks into high gear and leaves everything else in the dust.

But yeah, for now I'm just hoping for a good part 4. One step at a time, and part 4 happens to be the best of the pre-Steel-Ball-Run stuff.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Pretty sure Japan loves Part 7 as well so as long as we reach part 6 we should be safe

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Hey so I just got to the train fight in part 5 today. How come no one ever talks about how awesome Pesci is, he's one of my favorite minor villains now because I don't remember seeing many bad guys getting a resolve boost in a fight before. The fight as a whole was pretty fantastic too.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Star Platinum posted:

Hey so I just got to the train fight in part 5 today. How come no one ever talks about how awesome Pesci is, he's one of my favorite minor villains now because I don't remember seeing many bad guys getting a resolve boost in a fight before. The fight as a whole was pretty fantastic too.

I was not focused on how kinetic the whole thing felt. Araki really nailed the pacing, tension and sense of motion for the entire sequence.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pesci rocks, both Pesci and Prosciutto are like two of the best schmuck villains in JoJo. From Prosciutto just being stylish and fooling Mista using his own ability on himself to THE TRAIN TREADS to Pesci getting his resolve renewed, it's loving radical.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I didn't make these but I laughed so I thought I'd share them.

Here's the template I found for it.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I just hope we get animated part 4 because after powering through stardust crusaders and getting to Diamond, I really don't wanna read Duwang.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Duwang is a rite of passage. You should read Duwang.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Pomp posted:

Hi, Iggy.

Since Stardust Crusaders is so long, I can see them making new or revised intros between now and its conclusion. We'll likely start seeing Iggy after his introduction, obviously.

Herr Tog posted:

Is it okay for me to skip part 1?

Start with Baoh. Then part 1. :smug:

Seriously - it's worth it because you get to see Araki's development as an artist. He wasn't trying to imitate fist of the north star before he did Jojo, and you could see inklings of his originality starting to come through in Baoh. Jojo starts as a fist of the north star clone that takes a turn for the FANCY :gay:

Arc 1 of Jojo though is worth reading just for this guy:

Zeppeli embodies the earliest strong example of the *FANCY* that permeates through Araki's work. Instead of a muscle-man fist of the north star type, he's a svelte european gentleman, and fights vampires with the sheer power of his fanciness. He takes the tone of the story in a wildly fun direction when he's introduced.

Both Baoh and Jojo arc 1 are relatively quick reads too. So there's no reason not to read them. They're short, sweet, and fun. It's straight-up boy's manga action fun, vintage from the 80's.

Arc 2 is where Araki establishes himself completely - everything there lays the groundwork for how things will be for arc 3. Arc 2 is very memorable and worth reading, with lots of hilarious moments where Araki consciously 'breaks' the rules of how manga heroes should behave.

If you really wanted to though, you could just start with arc 3 as it's a classic for a reason, and relatively standalone. Then read the other arcs (and Baoh) at your leisure and curiosity. It's up to you. But for the full experience, it's loads of fun to start on Baoh and work up.

Speaking of Baoh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOpabjjGTeQ

There's also a Baoh anime that's kind of a fun little watch. In spite of a very racist native American stereotype that's also in the manga. :allears:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 13, 2014

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

If you watch the Baoh anime, be sure to watch it dubbed

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Baoh is only really worth reading if you want to see something that encompasses the 80s so wholly it's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Baoh is only really worth reading if you want to see something that encompasses the 80s so wholly it's hilarious.

I cannot think of a single reason for why you wouldn't want to see something like this.

• Locked thread