Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Might as well get this out of the way early.

Also, if Rohan is the protagonist for Part 4, then Buccellati sure as hell is the protagonist for Vento Aureo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think it's a joke about how Rohan is Araki's selfinsert (even though he's in denial about it).

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

Araki said people are a bit scared to talk with him since they think he's like Rohan when in fact he is very nice with people :shobon:

Well, about that...

I don't know about you, but sometimes Araki scares me.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Far as I'm concerned, Vento Aureo is pretty much Le Bizzarre Avventure di BruBu and no one will ever convince me otherwise :colbert:

We all joke about it, but to be honest, it's true. Bruno is the leader of the gang and thus the one handing out orders and generally running things, Bruno is the one that gets handed the main quest, Bruno is the one that gets to throw down mano e mano with the Big Bad, and to top it all off, Giorno would have been nowhere near any of the plot if it wasn't for Bruno being impressed enough with him to accept him into the gang. Also he's got the coolest Stand and battlecry.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hey everybody, I think I kinda found the coolest thing ever, even though it gives me a feeling so complicated.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Niccy Bones posted:

This whole bit is loving cute as hell.

The best part of SBR was probably Johnny and Gyro's excellent bromance. Araki could have dropped the plot and fights entirely and just made a roadmovie type story with those two and I'd still read it no questions asked.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
All other parts are longer than parts 1 and 2 combined. There's no way to fit them into 26 episodes without cutting out a hell of a lot of material.

I'd rather have David take their time and make full adaptations, and since this is JoJo even the filler fights are usually pretty good.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Spacedad posted:

Dio suddenly not using almost any of his crazy vampire powers and the hamon not really coming up hardly ever in part 3 is one of those quirks of the series, really. There's other stuff like Dio's mysterious ability to see and communicate through the hermet purple's precognition being used upon him, suggesting stuff about bigger and broader psychic powers instead of very specific stand use.

Dio works as a fantastic villain for the end of the arc though - and quite frankly, him using his crazier vampire powers would have complicated things.

Eh, I never had a problem with DIO ditching his vampire powers. Why'd you even need to shoot eyebeams when you can just stop time and have your magic ghost punch a hole in somebody instead?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Star Platinum posted:

To make sure someone is dead without having to risk going into the range of their punchy magic ghost? :v:

That's why you have knives, for what good it did DIO.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Relin posted:

space ripper stingy eyes probably hurts a lot to use

Actually I think that it's just a kinda crummy attack when you get down to it. I mean, Joseph figured out a way to beat it with just a couple of shot glasses, so Star Platinum would have no problems with deflecting it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Jotaro is the king of drinking games.

I could see Jotaro winning all the drinking games at uni. He'd just line up them shots and ORAORAORA's them all down in no time.

On the flipside, nobody was willing to play beer pong with him anymore after that time when he knocked the ball through the table.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dogbutt posted:

My friend promised me if he ever had a stand it would be Space Jam.

So it's gonna be a Stand that can combine with any other Stand to make it even better?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Eiba posted:

Edit: I've heard of people liking part 5 (Japanese people especially?) but I've never really understood why. And I don't mean that in an arrogant "I have better taste" way, I'd really like to enjoy part 5 more, so it'd be cool if someone could explain why it'd be well received.

It's not as obvious as GLORIOUS DUWANG, but the translation of Vento Aureo is really, really lovely. As in making poo poo up and butchering all characterisation lovely. There's a retranslation project ongoing, but as par for the course it's slow as all hell.

Still, I'd agree that Vento Aureo is one of the weaker parts even though I actually like it. It's got some really great moments and I the gang to be one of the better protagonist teams in the series, but the plot is pretty much even more extraneous to the overall story than Part 4 was.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Silver2195 posted:

Jotaro gaining the ability to stop time out of nowhere

Everything else I'll give you, but this was actually foreshadowed since the first goddamn chapter. Go back and look at every bullshit move that Star Platinum pulls throughout the series. Then think about how it accomplished all that.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

JDRockefeller posted:

At the very least, it was foreshadowed in the middle of his fight with Dio, and I think Kakyoin notices similarities as well?

It was far earlier than that. Things like catching a bullet in mid-air or moving the cigarette during the D'Arby the Gambler fight suddenly make perfect sense if Jotaro was stopping time unconsciously for brief moments.

JDRockefeller posted:

Since Part 5 is not really tied to Part 6 and most people think the ending is what's weakest, what would you guys think if they redid the ending of Part 5 for the anime (if they get to it that is)?

A bit late, but all I want from the Part 5 ending in the anime is this blaring in the background at all times.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I am so looking forward to attacking people with the power of ART!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I just don't know what the gently caress is going on but I know that I love it so drat much. Araki is really outdoing himself with JoJolion.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Rohan sounds like a right bastard to play against. I approve entirely.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

failedninja posted:

I'm surprised they kept that scene where Buccellati sees himself, since I thought that was one of Araki's weird mistakes.

No, that makes perfect sense. He was seeing himself in the future.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Perigryn posted:

As well as Dio/Neo Dio from World Heroes basically being Cars with some Santana, Dio and Baoh thrown in.

As well as Brocken from World Heroes literally being Stroheim.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'd expect them to include Diego at the very least. Other than that I don't really know, they might toss in Annasui and Weather Report for good measure, but I'm not holding out any hope for that.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Pucci was able to attract and manipulate the trio of forgettable Diospawn because they were down in the dumps and weak-willed for some reason or other. On the other hand, Giorno was a goddamn mob boss with an iron will at the time, so it'd be really odd if he were affected.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

Wasn't SBR in general just a cross-country National Treasure, though?

Nah, SBR was a tale of two cowboys finding Jesus.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Momomo posted:

So I've started reading part 3 a little while after finishing the fantastic anime, and I'm enjoying it well enough. I've gotten to the point where the group is now in Egypt and I really have to ask, why is Jotaro seen as so great? I can't even call him the main character of his own part since he's not the one pushing the plot forward (that'd be Joseph) doesn't hog all the fights (which isn't a bad thing) and barely speaks (that's mostly Polnareff's job). Overall it's probably better than part 2 on a technical standpoint, but I really loved Joseph, Caesar, and Lisa Lisa, and I'm not really sure I can ever like anyone more than them.

Since my friend got me to read this, he's been pushing for me to skip part 5 once I get to it. Is this a good idea? Parts 1-3 don't seem connected to the point that you have to read them in order, so I could always just read part 5 later. I've seen some great things from the next few parts, and just want to get to Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.

Jotaro becomes really great. Read every part in order.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

Pretty much. Like while it's not as glaringly bad as Duwang was on Diamond, it's still very bad and people who've read the official releases of it have said the current "translation" is all kinds of screwed up in a lot of places, not that you'd even need their word to come to that conclusion. What makes it all the worse, the group that was doing the (Really good) rework on it ran into a few problems last time I looked.

Hey now, DUWANG may be a translation by a dude who didn't really have a grasp on the english language but at least you can figure out the story pretty accurately from that. The people who translated part 5 just flat-out made poo poo up on several occasions.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

tmboatman posted:

I always thought that was because Bruno could only die in the way Rolling Stones predicted.

I always thought that was because Bruno was too loving badass to die with his job unfinished.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Lisa Lisa's moves are wonderfully flashy. Also Sugita's Oldseph voice is pretty neat.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Schneider Heim posted:

I stumbled upon a motion comic MAD of Part 4 and found it to be pretty cool. (There's a compilation of 1-4 in the related links)

Would anyone know the source of the song(s)?

That's made by Diggy-MO', the lead MC of the japanese hip-hop band Soul'd Out. Dudes are huge JoJo fans.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

No, it's a sudden shift. The last time you see fat Valentine is when he steals the corpse at the end of the Civil War fight, and the next time you see him (with Lucy, in the scene where she gets found out), he's buff.

No, Valentine is definitely on the chubbier side in that scene with Lucy. He only turns into Buffentine after Lucy stabs him and he disappears. Probably switched with a buffer version of himself at that time.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

legendsuper posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, I think I missed something there...
Valentine looked fat at the beginning of the part, but now he's not anymore ? When did he...

It'll be explained. Just enjoy the beauty of Buffentine for now.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sex_Ferguson posted:

That being said, Avdol's totally got his "YES I AM" pose going on there. I can't say I really care for Jotaro's outfit being black, but that's such a small detail it doesn't really effect anything.

If David are gonna stick to their guns I think that we're gonna see Jotaro's outfit in every colour imaginable, so I'm not that concerned.

Also those designs are mostly hella sweet, but what's up with Kakyoin's face? It looks stretched out somehow.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The music in that PV was pretty darn rad, I must say. Whoever the composer may be, I'm tentatively excited for the music already.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mr. Maltose posted:

I think Araki has done a pretty good job setting the conflicts up so that punching is often just the wrong option.

Or rather punching isn't even an option. Personally I kinda like Josuke2 because he can be a real badass without hitting people in the face.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Supersonic Shine posted:

Agreed, but I want Yasuho to have a big hand in the main villain's defeat. Like, she starts out not even knowing she has a Stand, and slowly improves until she ends up so skilled that she manages to get some good shots in on Josuke's time-loving nemesis.

I'd like to see Yasuho planning and directing the entire takedown with Josuke and his allies doing the grunt work. Yasuho seems to have the potential for becoming a real badass tactician once she learns how to control her Stand.

Soulcleaver posted:

Or he stabs Gold Experience with the arrowhead and gets a completely new stand, Ecstasy of Gold Experience Requiem, which has a completely different set of ludicrous powers. :frogsiren:

Ecstasy of Gold Experience Requiem gives the opponent an irresistable compulsion to put on a cowboy hat and listen to country&western.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Broseph Brostar posted:

King Crimson isn't too hard to comprehend if you have seen that one futurama episode about time skips, but I still don't get why Bruno saw himself when he first fought Diavolo.

He saw himself in the future. Diavolo can temporarily give Epitaph to other people.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
While on the subject of spinoffs, Deadman's Questions owns all the bones and you should read it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

a cartoon duck posted:

Polnareff is the loving best, the anime should just skip all episodes before he is introduced.

Hey now, we can't be leaving out LET'S GO, now can we?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Bruno didn't die because he was too loving badass to let some minor thing like death affect him, and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The bottom line is that if Jolyne Kujo is coming for your rear end, you better get ready for a pounding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hot drat the trailers continue to be top notch. Especially the music in the Kakyoin trailer is fantastic.

• Locked thread