Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
:siren: First season of the Anime has been slated for a July 28th release by Warner Bros. PRE-ORDER IT HERE OR HERE :siren:

:siren: Parts 1 through 3 available digitally on your platform of preference. Parts 1 and 3 available physically at your nearest book store or Amazon. :siren:

:siren: Don't Ask Where To Start Reading. Part 1 Is Called That For A Reason. :siren:

Buy it you nerds. The Stardust Crusaders Anime thread is over here.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (From here on referred to as JoJo) is a long running Manga series written and illustrated by Hirohiko Araki. It debuted in late 1986 as a Weekly Shonen Jump title, where it was groundbreaking at the time because it did not feature a main character that was japanese. Regarded by some as a Fist of the North star clone at first, this incredible series quickly finds its own groove and turns into one of the best long running Mangas of all time. It's important to note that it's not one long running story arc since 1986, but rather, it is divided by parts, indicated by a change in main characters.

Part 1: Phantom Blood Volumes 1-5

JoJo: Jonathan Joestar

Set in Victorian England, this part has Jonathan Joestar duking it out with his childhood rival and adoptive brother Dio Brando. It features some small horror elements, lots of punching and Speedwagon.

Part 2: Battle Tendency Volumes 6-12

JoJo: Joseph Joestar

The year is 1938, and Joseph Joestar, Jonathan's grandson, has to investigate the mystery behind a being enclosed in a pillar found in México by Speedwagon. Features lots of scantily clad men, clever antics, Nazis and the most glamorous lady to grace Anime and Manga.

Part 3: Stardust Crusaders Volumes 13-28

JoJo: Jotaro Kujo

Set during the late 1980's, this is the conclusion to the story arcs started in Phantom Blood. Features Jotaro Kujo, the most iconic JoJo (also Joseph's Grandson), in a trip around the world with other Muscular Men to defeat Dio. Also the debut of Stands.

Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable (Official title Diamond is not Crash) Volumes 29-47

JoJo: Josuke Higashikata

Josuke Higashikata is a normal high school student who happens to have a Stand, this is due to him being the illegitimate son of Joseph Joestar. Features a more laidback approach to story telling, starting out as a whodunit and ending in one of the best finales to a story arc in JoJo.

Part 5: Vento Aureo Volumes 47-63

GioGio: Giorno Giovanna

Italy, 2001. Giorno Giovanna wants to become a gangster in order to fulfill his dream: becoming a "Gangstar". This part features an incredibly strong supporting cast, confusing stands and really fabulous clothing.

Part 6: Stone Ocean Volumes 64-80

JoJo: Jolyne Kujo

Taking place in Port St. Lucie, Florida, this story follows Jotaro's daughter, Jolyne, as she is framed for a DUI murder and ends up in the Green Dolphin Street Prison. Features even more unique Stands, some of the best character design in the series and an ending that is incredibly divisive among the fanbase.

Part 7: Steel Ball Run Volumes 81-104

Zeppeli: Gyro Zeppeli

Set in 1888, Steel Ball Run tells the story of Gyro Zeppeli, a man from the Kingdom of Naples who wishes to win the Steel Ball Run race to grant the freedom of a small child. Also has a JoJo I guess.

Part 8: JoJolion Volumes 105-???

JoJo: Josuke Higashikata

Other JoJo related media:

Videogames:

Famicom Jump I & II: Joseph and Jotaro respectively are main cast members in each game.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Super Famicom): RPG/Adventure game based on Stardust Crusaders.

JoJo's Venture & JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Heritage for the Future (CPS3, PS1, Dreamcast, XBLA, PSN): Arcade game based on Stardust Crusaders, features an original design for Middler who wasn't actually on scene in the Manga. Also Joseph from part 2.

Le Bizzarre Avventure di GioGio: Vento Aureo (PS2): Japan exclusive beat 'em up featuring Part 5.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood (PS2): Japan exclusive beat 'em up with lots of fabulous posing. Moderately rare.

Jump Super Stars & Jump Ultimate Stars (NDS): Japan exclusive fighting games featuring both Jotaro and Dio.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure All-Star Battle (PS3): Bad fighting game, featuring characters from all 8 parts of the Manga, developed by CyberConnect2 and published by Namco-Bandai. Out in all regions now!

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven: An upcoming arena-ish fighting game for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 developed by CyberConnect2 and published by Bandai Namco Entertainment.

Animation:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (OVA 1993-2000): Animated adaptation of part 3 that came out in two blocks, the first one covering the second half and the second one covering the first half. It's bad but it's worth watching to see a version of part 3 with good animation.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood (Film 2007): An adaptation so bad, that not even Araki acknowledges its existence. It doesn't even have speedwagon! It was also never released on DVD, and most likely will never see the light of day ever again.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Anime 2012 - 2013): The best adaptation of JoJo by far, it's currently ongoing and so far it's covered Parts 1 and 2. Here's a link to the archived Anime thread.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders (Anime 2014 - 2015): Continuation of the previous, covering Part 3. Here's a link to the current Anime thread, no spoilers!!

Uznare fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

SamuraiSnake posted:

I'm still watching the TV series to see if and how they adapt Stardust Crusaders. Like everyone else, the Stardust Crusaders arc is the real Jojo's Bizarre Adventure to me, because "Adventure" actually applies to the series for once. (Also because Jotaro Kujo is the best Jojo in my opinion)
I thought it was great. Although it may be an abridged version of the manga, it looks so much better than the TV series; it doesn't have the annoying narrator from the TV series. :colbert:

:frogout:

quote:

Just a question: Is there any reason why certain volumes of the English published manga are so freaking expensive?

Because they're out of print, the entire english release is out of print because Viz doesn't give a gently caress. (It sold badly)

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Perigryn posted:

Having started collecting them since Christmas, I've so far been able to snag vol.1 and then 7-16 easily. I'm gonna have to hunt for the missing ones and do some creative negotiation to complete my collection without going broke.

Oddly enough, when I looked through the first volume, I noticed that it was a second printing dated "September 2012".

That's really interesting, I wonder if they did it because of the Anime announcement. Regardless volumes 4-6 fetch really high prices around the 60 dollar mark which is not good news.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

WickedIcon posted:

Honestly, there's not a huge reason for Old Joseph to be playable if part 2 Joseph is. Hermit Purple is primarily a non-combat stand, and if memory serves he doesn't actually fight anyone in part 3.

Uh, yes there is? Hermit Purple alone would change his mechanics as proven by the CPS3 game where Hermit Purple made him into a grappler as opposed to a zoning character like Young Joseph was.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Gatts posted:

Whaaaaaaaa? That was a fantastic series, the first and the second. Bad? Dude, the third episode of the original OVA with the card player stand was one of the most fun, tension filled things I've seen and not even a punch was thrown. It's magnificent.

The first OVA's saving grace is D'arby the Gambler and that's about it. The second one is irredeemable trash.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

Dangit Viz, why couldn't you give me Part 4 or 5, or something I'd actually like to see in good english instead of 3.

But either way I'll probably still buy it. :v:

Because part 3 was licensed back in 2006 and this is just a digital release of that. I am actually quite baffled at the middling reaction this has gotten.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

For anyone that hasn't checked the games thread this just happened: http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/19/4744012/jojos-bizarre-adventure-all-star-battle-2013

Looks like the game is coming out this year in NA. I am really excited because when I first picked this up in 2006 I never would've that we would get something like this and much less get it in america. The game is well... a kusoge but it's a drat fun one. And anyone that likes jojo should play it.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

RatHat posted:

^^^^ I read it recently, the translation was fine. The scans and typesetting were what was terrible. Maybe some questionable grammar in spots though.

He's just a really calm and collected Jojo, that's all really. He has some really sick :iceburn:s too.

You could read Part 7 at anytime you want after Part 3 really, it's pretty disconnected from the rest of the parts. You might miss some references but that's about it.

Uh, no. The translation for part 5 is legitimately balls, after the first couple of volumes it takes a massive nosedive. Let's not forget that this is the translation that has about 4 different explanations for King Crimson's abilities.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Trollhawke posted:

FFF-

Suddenly the decision about which series to read next has become So hard. I was originally going to go onto Part 7, but then I read about Blind Chariot Races, and then this...

It's such a shame the spare time I'd have has run out.

Thanks for all of your answers, but I'll have to come to a final decision when I have more time to spare.

Mad props to LordMune for the translation - thanks. Is it just me, or is Jojoloin going to get more fighty near the end? I mean I like the current pace and intrigue, but at the same time the stands seem like just the type Araki would take and then make you go "Holy poo poo these stands are super dangerous"

You should be reading them in order, and also you pretty much ruined Part 7 for yourself by reading JoJolion first.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

The only time blowing all their money on a music license would be acceptable is if they get to part 4 and get Highway Star for the Highway Star fight. The entire industry would peak at that point.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Schubalts posted:

I read it years ago and knew basically nothing about tarot at the time?

The manga explicitly mentions that they're named after tarot cards, every single stand in part 3 with the exception of Cream and Tenore Sax is named after tarot cards. This is mentioned at least 3 times.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

And the Egyptian Gods too.

What was the point of that anyway? Abdul was confused as hell when they came across the first Egyptian God stand iirc and I never really understood why the stands could ~only~ be named after tarot cards up until that point. I mean, why couldn't they be named after something else? It's surprising enough as it is that the rest of the stand users that Abdul didn't name himself decided to stick with the tarot card theme for so long y'know?

They're part of the "origin" of the Tarot this is addressed on volume 20 with N'Doul's first appearance.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 27, 2013

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Ryaomon posted:

Valentine got super ripped at the same time the series switched to Ultra Jump. Plus the art style took a turn for the worse as well.

The manga switched to Ultra Jump in 2004 around chapter 22, ripped Valentine doesn't even appear until chapter 50 or so which was released in 2007.

Also the art is fantastic so I don't know what you're talking about.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I always thought that Valentine was fat because he had the corpse's parts inside him, once he released them he recovered his 'buffness' :v:
I don't understand how you could ever come to this conclusion when at least 3 different characters had corpse parts with them when fat Valentine was around, and buff Valentine only ever really shows up after he gets the parts.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Here's a PV for the upcoming season https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQqkpbt2Ero

And it looks like we're getting a new cast for part 3 for the most part, with only OnoD returning.

Jotaro - Daisuke Ono
Joseph - Unshou Ishizuka
Abdul - Kenta Miyake (???)
Kakyoin - Daisuke Hirakawa
Polnareff - Fuminori Komatsu

Some people seem to be upset about Sugita not being Joseph anymore, but honestly Ishizuka is the most perfect choice for that role.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 22, 2013

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

ArcadePark posted:

Just start from Part 3. Part 1 and 2 can be largely ignored.

:frogout:

Parts 1 and 2 are very much integral to setting up the entire manga, and not only that, but 2 is a lot better written and paced than 3. It doesn't help that 3 only has a garbage translation* that makes it even worse than it is already.

*Unless you want to pay out the rear end for certain volumes of the Viz release.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 1, 2014

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

3's translation is actually pretty decent, it's the scan quality that's poo poo (and that's being fixed, slowly but surely).

Uh, no. It's actually really bad. It makes Jotaro fall flat as a character when he shouldn't. It also ruins a lot of the humor that Part 3 is popular for in Japan. I'd compare it to part 5's translation in that way, though it's not as egregious as that one.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

ArcadePark posted:

No, you don't need to read the manga version of Part 1 and 2. Hell, you probably don't even need to watch the anime version. Part 3 isn't really a complicated plot and introduces many new characters and brings back only 2, so you can just drive right into it when it comes out.

Speaking of which, just read Part 3 of the manga. I recommend it highly.

As said many times before, you're terrible. :frogout:

Parts 1 and 2 of the manga should not be skipped because they're there to establish the setting and especially part 2 should not be skipped because it's much better than part 3.

And to be on topic just watch the anime for part 3 cause the scans suck and the tl is dodgy.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

ArcadePark posted:

I still stand by my opinions, because there is very little connectivity. Part 3 is still enjoyable without reading about vampires and pillarmen. And Part 3 is still a blast to read. The anime shouldn't discourage anybody.

You are entitled to your opinion but do not mislead people just because of it, especially when all of jojo is fantastic. You are doing everyone in here a disservice and it makes you look bad.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

dudermcbrohan posted:

Other than the re-scans of part four and the first volume of part 5, parts 3-6 have kinda bad scans and 3-5 have bad translations.

Part four is almost done it's only missing two volumes, so it shouldn't really be counted in either camp. Especially since the invincible trio's TL is pretty decent.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

darealkooky posted:

If you're going over the Jojo project translations, please remove the overuse of 「japanese quotation marks」. It sounds kinda 「cool」 for stuff like 「stand」 names but their use of it is 「loving stupid」 and 「overused」. Nobody 「talks」 like this in 「english」 and it often gets as bad as 「several」 in a single 「speech bubble」

e: Actually now that I think about it I can't remember if they started doing that with part 6, or if that's only been for the part 5/7/8 stuff they've done. Point stands.

That's in the original dialog which is why it's there in the first place. I really dobut they'd keep adding them if they weren't there. Also JoJo Project has only done some parts of 6, most of 7 and like two volumes of 5.

If you notice they're all over the place in Jojolion which has never been touched by JoJo Project.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

For anyone not in the know, recently there's been a series of Kanzenban (think deluxe edition) releases for the series called Jojonium. And at the end of each volume there's a section with information about the series from Araki himself. And someone on tumblr translated the one from the first volume and it talks about character creation for the series.

Y'all can read it here http://zehimonashi.tumblr.com/post/77549619685/jojonium-1-hirohiko-araki-speaks-about-character

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

The same person that translated the small Araki talk on the first volume of Jojonium just posted the one for volume 2. And it looks like they intend on doing all of them as they come out. This time it's focused on Will A. Zeppeli. As usual it's a pretty good read.

http://zehimonashi.tumblr.com/post/78176393287/jojonium-2-hirohiko-araki-speaks-about-character

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Broseph Brostar posted:

If Kojima made Jojo, stands would be explained by science even though ripple was paranormal.

Stands were explained by science in Part 5, actually. They're the result of a microorganism/virus/thing that was dormant inside the meteorite the Arrow is made from. Though some stands can awaken out of sheer determination much like Tonio's. It's not super consistent, but in general the Part 5 explanation holds up most of the time.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Aurora posted:

Didn't the meteorite thing come from Part 6 when that one guard could summon meteors and told Jolyne about it or something?

Nah, theres an explanation around volume 57(?) or so, where they talk about the meteorite and it's likened to natural selection. The crappy scans don't really explain it that way because they just make poo poo up on the spot.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Funny enough in the viz manga Rubber Soul was renamed Steely Dan while Steely Dan was renamed Rubber Soul.

This is not actually the case, Rubber Soul uses the arcade name which would be Robber Soul and Steely Dan is Rubber Soul.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Zorak posted:

Anyone got a link to a scan of this? While its plausible i could easily see it as fake too.

There's no source, some guy on /a/ simply claimed that some dude on 2ch read about it on ultra jump. There are no scans of this whatsoever for the time being.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

TheManSeries posted:

I'm guessing that version is offered in the big file in the op? I wound up reading all of Stardust Crusaders on a slow work day and started Diamond, so I hadn't downloaded the file offered here yet.

It's not that I hate joy, I just wanted to read it normal the first go around. Duwang was going to be me going back after and just laughing.

That folder hasn't been updated since 2011, I am not the owner of it so I can't do anything about it. What's a google though!

I added it to the top of the OP so it doesn't ever happen again.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 13, 2014

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Rothgil posted:

The pillar men also kinda got renamed to Kars, Wammu, and Elsideesi

Kars, Wamuu, and Esidisi are the official names, as approved by the man himself and have been for a while. So that particular comparison is pointless.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

Considering we're at chapter 31, and SBR ran around 90 chapters I think - we're about a third of the way through. For reference, around chapter 30 of Steel Ball Run is when Johnny first gets Tusk and we find out about Diegosaurus Rex.

SBR was 95 chapters, however SBR chapters were incredibly long form compared to Jojolion, around twice the length of the average Jojolion chapter. Jojolion is pretty clearly just getting to around a fourth of the way through.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Only the first volume has a decent translation, but tbh it would still be the weakest part even with a good translation so feel free to skip it if you aint feeling it

It's actually the first 3 volumes. And the kinda bad TL doesn't get really bad until white album.

grancheater posted:

So what's the general rundown of the Part 5 scans, are most of them still the badly translated ones? I'm about to finish Part 4, considering if I should skip Part 5 until a better translation is available. Also I read the thread so y'all got me hyped for Jolyne, SBR in general, and JoJolion weirdness.

It's a good part with bad scans and it will never be scanlated properly because reasons. If you absolutely hate it you can skip it I guess, but I'd advise against it. All jojo is wonderful and you'd be doing yourself a disservice.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

onepixeljumpman posted:

Because, like I said, who gives a poo poo?

Normal people, who actually do things the way they were intended. Please do not encourage something that stupid. Especially do not encourage reading Part 6 before Part 3. :cmon:

"I skipped part 5 because I didn't enjoy it and the scans were bad." is not the same as "I read a part that relies almost entirely on reading a previous part to deliver a storyline, out of order.".

Uznare fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 11, 2014

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Momomo posted:

Jotaro read a book once and a man is obsessed with Dio. That's really all you need to know going into part 6.

It's still massively stupid, it's the principle of the thing. 'sides you're oversimplifying a bit too much.

Just read it in order. It Ain't That Hard.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 11, 2014

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Ethiser posted:

That image of what Jonathan Joestar would look like in Araki's current style hurt my soul.

Kinda already exists. Along with most Pt. 1 and 2 characters.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I mean, it's funny but if you're actually trying to understand Part 4 it doesn't work all that well.

That only proves you've never read it because it's perfectly serviceable. It just looks terrible. I'd go as far as to say that Duwang is less bad than the part 3 scans and the part 5 translation.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Speaking of Part 5, is there any confusion about King Crimson's abilities among the fandom over in Japan, or was it better explained due to being in it's native language?

As said like ten million times before in this thread, the english translation for part 5 is really god drat bad. There's a few contradicting explanations within it, this is obviously not the case with the original version. So it's pretty unlikely, if not outright impossible for this to be the case in the native language.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think MangaReader has some good scans of Vento Aureo.

Also, for a Stand with some pretty bad looking stats, Metallica is pretty awesome.

Nope. Anything after volume 49 is poo poo. There will never be good scans for part 5, at least not anytime soon.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

Good now we wait for Part 5

You'd be better off learning french or italian than waiting for the part 5 re-tl.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Momomo posted:

You might as well skip to the good parts and read the boring ones later. I don't feel like reading part 5 after 6 really made me miss out on anything.

Or you could be a normal person and read stuff in its intended order, whats the fuckin' rush all of jojo is great.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

ANN says that the english release of JoJonium is legit. But I'd take it with a grain of salt until Viz themselves do a press release or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

My scans of part 5 just transitioned to the bad translation. This is nearly unreadable. I mean, everything's in English, but not in any way that makes sense. I feel like they just translated this super-literally. I'm surprised that this is an Ignition One gig. I don't recall their translations of parts 1 and 2 being nearly this bad.

It's not Ignition One, batoto is stupid and labels it that way, they're scans from Veggie's Jojo Page (Rest in peace). Ignition One only did parts 1, 2 and the first 3 or so volumes of part 7.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Wasn't there a team that released some redone Part 5 before falling prey to the ills of online translation teams?

We don't talk about that.

• Locked thread