Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

DamnGlitch posted:

Guilty Crown and Fractale were both pretty entertaining. I can understand not liking GC for being a pretty blatant Code Geass clone, but what was wrong with Fractale?

[I mean, aside for not being remotely what the creator hyped it up to be]
It tried really, really hard to convince you that it actually was a Miyazaki-style uplifting fantasy, even when it was clear that the guy just didn't have the skill to pull it off and was basically aping elements of Miyazaki almost at random. The gap between what it thought it was and what it actually was ended up a bit off-putting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I was pretty happy with the machine god elements and the idea of a 'perfect' system collapsing and how a world would deal with it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

SpaceMost posted:

I've been watching Legend of Galactic Heroes and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good sci-fi manga. Everything I've come across seems either for young audiences, or involves giant robots, but I'm looking for something space opera-ish or otherwise more Western sci-fi.

I think you want banner/crest of the stars (crest comes first). It's been a while since I watched it but it's very space operatic.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

WHOAH THERE. Guilty Crown aired on NoitaminA, let's not say anything we can't take back now.

(Also, Fractale)

Hey, the first two episodes of Fractale weren't as bad as the first two episodes of C or Guilty Crown!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

DamnGlitch posted:

Guilty Crown and Fractale were both pretty entertaining. I can understand not liking GC for being a pretty blatant Code Geass clone, but what was wrong with Fractale?

[I mean, aside for not being remotely what the creator hyped it up to be]

I didn't like Guilty Crown not because it ripped off of Code Geass, I didn't like it because it's the stupidest loving thing ever. The characters constantly made idiotic decisions, and suffered from the biggest case of personality whiplash I've ever seen in the extremes "Hey, I'm going to be a cruel dictator here, whoops didn't work out so now I'M JESUS". The whole thing is completely moronic that's only alleviated by decent animation and the occasional bit of fun craziness, but since I don't do the whole "It's so bad it's good!" shtick some people do with things I thought it was completely bad.

As far as Fractale? I didn't even finish that, it was absolutely boring

With [C], it definitely poo poo the bed on the ending but I could at least see it trying to be good and fun, and it had a really unique art-style that I liked and an interesting concept. That puts it above uninspired garbage like Guilty Crown anyday. Guilty Crown is terrible. I never finished Fractale so it's just me personally on that one, but there's no way I'd agree with [C] being worse than loving Guilty Crown.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

SpaceMost posted:

I've been watching Legend of Galactic Heroes and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good sci-fi manga. Everything I've come across seems either for young audiences, or involves giant robots, but I'm looking for something space opera-ish or otherwise more Western sci-fi.
Unfortunately space opera and more serious scifi fare manga rarely get translated. There are a few though like Planetes or Pluto give those a try. Space Opera is going to be a bit more difficult.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Memories of Emanon is a cool rear end one volume scifi manga.
Based on the award-winning novel by Shinji Kajio, Memories of Emanon tells the story of a mysterious girl who holds a 3-billion-year old memory, dating back to the moment life first appeared on Earth.
http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/memories-of-emanon-r3447
It's got a sequel too. http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/wandering-emanon-r3796

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

I didn't like Guilty Crown not because it ripped off of Code Geass, I didn't like it because it's the stupidest loving thing ever. The characters constantly made idiotic decisions, and suffered from the biggest case of personality whiplash I've ever seen in the extremes "Hey, I'm going to be a cruel dictator here, whoops didn't work out so now I'M JESUS". The whole thing is completely moronic that's only alleviated by decent animation and the occasional bit of fun craziness, but since I don't do the whole "It's so bad it's good!" shtick some people do with things I thought it was completely bad.

I very rarely like things for being 'so good they are bad' but then again maybe the stuff you are complaining about just doesn't register for me; I unironically liked Code Geass season 2 like a whole lot for instance, and at no point was it because I thought it was an entertaining train wreck like so many people seem to.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Between the CLAMP designs and the hammy acting, Code Geass at least seemed self-aware about how stupid and absurd it was. Guilty Crown wanted you to take it dead serious despite how vapid and shamelessly paint-by-numbers the whole thing was.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Redcrimson posted:

Between the CLAMP designs and the hammy acting, Code Geass at least seemed self-aware about how stupid and absurd it was. Guilty Crown wanted you to take it dead serious despite how vapid and shamelessly paint-by-numbers the whole thing was.

Yeah, I think that's right and exactly why I like Code Geass, and hate Guilty Crown.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Any manga or anime that explores depression as a central theme?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

Evangelionnnnnnn

Now to be more specific, do you mean as out and out DEALING with depression or depression as a subtext or motivator?

There are plenty of great shows that are depressing because the creator is depressed, and Eva is one of the best examples I can think of of actually depressed people acting like depressed people.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 27, 2013

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

atrus50 posted:

Are there any great celebrations of capitalism out there? Like something where the main characters get stuff, and then use that stuff unapologetically to get more and bigger stuff?
There's a lot of trade and commerce stuff in Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, although it's more along macroeconomic lines.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Raenir Salazar posted:

Welcome to the NHK.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

You guys recommended Haibane Renmei to me after I wrote about liking the realistic, day-to-day/slice-of-life aspects of Niea_7.

I'm 4~5 episodes into Haibane Renmei and I'm finding it to be impossibly boring and the characters completely uninteresting. There's nothing about Rakka that makes me want to know more about her even though I'm clearly supposed to be feeling invested in her integration into this strange society. It comes off similar to M. Night Shyamalan's The Village in which there hints that something is off yet people (mostly) blindly accept their situation, and much like The Village I just feel like the writer thinks it's more compelling/clever than it actually is.

That said, what else might I look into?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Everything else everyone said except :hr: I guess.

There is no M. Night twist present in HR, at least. That's more or less the whole point, that you're left to speculate and wonder about this rather peculiar and melancholic world.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

zenintrude posted:

You guys recommended Haibane Renmei to me after I wrote about liking the realistic, day-to-day/slice-of-life aspects of Niea_7.

I'm 4~5 episodes into Haibane Renmei and I'm finding it to be impossibly boring and the characters completely uninteresting. There's nothing about Rakka that makes me want to know more about her even though I'm clearly supposed to be feeling invested in her integration into this strange society. It comes off similar to M. Night Shyamalan's The Village in which there hints that something is off yet people (mostly) blindly accept their situation, and much like The Village I just feel like the writer thinks it's more compelling/clever than it actually is.

Time of Eve sounds like it would suite you. I know I enjoyed my time of eve.

(Thanks again for reminding me it existed, Chas McGill!)

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

zenintrude posted:

Hmm. Binbou Shimai Monogatari maybe? Its been a while since I watched it, but the non-comedic slice of life bits of NieA felt kinda similar in tone to most of that.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

zenintrude posted:

Time of Eve. I love a bit of mundanity myself and I found HR a bit slow paced, though I still enjoyed it. Time of Eve is one of those shows where the slice of life sections serve to bolster the thematic and narrative aspects rather than distract or dilute from them. Don't let the robots put you off!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

(Thanks again for reminding me it existed, Chas McGill!)
Everyone should watch Time of Eve and Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Asking for a slice of life and then calling it boring is really funny to me for some reason. Like, haha funny.

HB has a few exciting moments but its really just about loving around with these characters for a few episodes and getting just a tiny peak into the strange world they've come to inhabit.

So it's quite nice if you find yourself interested in the world or the characters. If you don't then there's really nothing there for you.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

DamnGlitch posted:

Asking for a slice of life and then calling it boring is really funny to me for some reason. Like, haha funny.

I completely understand how one would think I'm crazy, but I'm not sure how better to describe it other than I enjoy the ins and outs of running the bath house, working at the noodle bar, and struggling with school that comprises the bulk of in Niea_7's running time, but a lot of that has to do with me really liking Mayuko as a character.

Actually, now that I think about it, I know exactly what the difference is between the two: in Niea_7, we're experiencing the story (largely) from the point of view of Mayuko, a character who has been entrenched in this world for years and is just going about her daily life, whereas in Haibane Renmei, we're experiencing the worth through Rakka and so it's a constant state of discovery which I find less interesting... it's far more compelling (to me) when someone can make the mundane (as viewed from the POV of the main character) interesting than attempting to make a world that is strange and new. This is probably why I also don't like Chobits as much, since Chii (and to a lesser extent Hideki) is in a constant state of discovery.

It's better when characters have accepted things as the way that they are and just go about the business of doing things than characters who coo and gasp at poo poo because it's all so new and fascinating to them.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 28, 2013

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

DamnGlitch posted:

Evangelionnnnnnn

Now to be more specific, do you mean as out and out DEALING with depression or depression as a subtext or motivator?

There are plenty of great shows that are depressing because the creator is depressed, and Eva is one of the best examples I can think of of actually depressed people acting like depressed people.

Yeah dealing with depression as opposed to metaphors.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah dealing with depression as opposed to metaphors.

Holyland.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

cisneros posted:

Holyland.

Oh god Holyland! That comic was so cringe-inducing at first because it reminded me of the poo poo-hole that was my city after the economy crapped the bed in the mid 90's. But after a while, yeah: It's a comic about dealing with depression.

In the most brutal of ways. :black101:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Recommend me anime about REVOLUTION.

Difficulty: I've already seen Utena, as well as One Piece, Code Geass, FMA, and about half of Chevalier d'Eon. The overlap between those shows is a pretty good indicator of what I'm looking for, though.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Difficulty: I've already seen Utena, as well as One Piece, Code Geass, FMA, and about half of Chevalier d'Eon. The overlap between those shows is a pretty good indicator of what I'm looking for, though.
Read the thread title :v:.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Have you tried Eureka 7? The first half focuses more on the characters and setting up the world and story, but the second half has a good amount of loving the man.

Edit: and since I'm in the middle of it right now, how about Dunbine?

muike fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 30, 2013

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

AKB0048 :v:

You could try Glass Fleet, which is basically the French Revolution, but In Space and with more melodrama. Also terrible mid-2000s Gonzo CG.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Rose of Versailles, obviously!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Raku posted:

Rose of Versailles, obviously!

This is the answer. It doesn't get much more revolution-y than the French Revolution, yo.

Also, Rose of Versailles is amazing as can be.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I created a page for Hanasaku Iroha, but I'm terrible at writing, so I left the Main description blank. If someone's up for it, a description would be great to have.

On a tangentially related note, there are a bunch of shows I see recommended here that don't have a wiki page, Rose of Versailles, for instance. The wiki is a great centralized source for recommendations, so if you hadn't before, consider making a page or writing your opinion. I'll appreciate it. :3:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Gurren Lagann.

:v:

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

unpronounceable posted:

I'm terrible at writing, so I left the Main description blank. If someone's up for it, a description would be great to have.

I usually just paraphrase the synopses from ANN, MAL or TVtropes, but I'll take care of it.

McNagah
Dec 28, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Kaiji uses heavily on a lot of revolutionary themes inside of it's story, but it's something different then most of the shows you listed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

McNagah posted:

Kaiji uses heavily on a lot of revolutionary themes inside of it's story, but it's something different then most of the shows you listed.

Thanks, this one I never would have guessed on my own.

I've seen most of the suggestions too, but I'll put Rose of Versailles and Glass Fleet on my list and maybe give LoGH that second try I've intended for it for god knows how long.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Looking for something chilled out with nice music that I can watch before bedtime. I don't want any explosions or shrieking, thanks. It can still have action, but it better be slow and calculated. Something like a better Bartender would be ideal.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for something chilled out with nice music that I can watch before bedtime. I don't want any explosions or shrieking, thanks. It can still have action, but it better be slow and calculated. Something like a better Bartender would be ideal.

Sakamichi no Apollon (Kids on the Slope) is a real nice show with plenty of good jazz. The relationship stuff gets a little annoying but overall really chill and nice.

And no special music, but Hyouka is really fantastic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chas McGill posted:

Nichijou would be pretty good for this if you haven't seen it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Hyouga is good if you are okay with it being very slowly deliberately paced and for at least a large portion being fairly episodic. I fell out of it but it certainly wasn't bad, just not my cup of tea. Check it out.

[Bartender worked for me because booze]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nichijou would be pretty good for this if you haven't seen it.

Nichijou has plenty of comedic shouting and crazy action gags though. Actually, :hr: might be the epitome of "chilled out with nice music" ...until near the end when it becomes "melancholic with nice music"

• Locked thread