Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

When did the Touhou 14 demo/ actual game announcement actually happen? It doesn't seem like anybody's talking about it which is strange.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Volt Catfish posted:

When did the Touhou 14 demo/ actual game announcement actually happen? It doesn't seem like anybody's talking about it which is strange.

It was apparently announced here or at least that was the vast majority of people link to, as I don't understand a lick of japanese.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
:siren:MUSIC POOOOOOST:siren:

June 29th 2018: IT HAS BEEN A LONG TIME since the last one but this one is a fuckin' doozy and has 1250 tracks or so, so enjoy! https://nyaa.si/view/1052036

March 2017: Hey so do you want some more music here's 260 or so more tracks ok enjoy
https://nyaa.si/view/911716

feb 2015: Hey so I procrastinated on this poo poo for like 3 months and wound up making it uh, a lot bigger than it was supposed to be, so here's Touhou Lossy Music Collection #24, with over 250 mp3s in it

https://nyaa.si/view/660748

I deleted a good 10 gigs worth of bullshit making this one. It'd be nice if I could sort albums by which are actually midis disguised as mp3s, it'd let me cut down the overall size quite a bit since those fuckers both sound awful and take up far too much space for what they are.

edit: Alluvion exploded(edit: june 29th 2018 SO DID NYAA.SE!!!). I've reuploaded the entire current music collection(1-23 + Booby Prize Folder) to Nyaa

Collection 1 is all the really large mp3s, more than 10 or 15 megs each, the rest are in alphabetical order and collections 1-8 lack descriptions as I hadn't started doing those for each collection yet. I have gone through roughly 10,000 MP3s so far out of around 28,000 in the initial collection I grabbed, so about one in every 7 MP3s is kept (this is skewed by certain artists who are entirely poo poo and get deleted and certain artists who are entirely awesome and have their whole folders copy/pasted into the collection). This is not the final collection, I haven't even gotten through all the artists that start with an "H" yet. The total collection will probably clock in at around the 4k-5k mp3 mark at this rate.

Here's a quote from the old thread with a bunch of descriptions of what's inside, lumped together in one giant mass of words:

quote:

Hey. Merry Christmas. Allow me to give you the gift of an 8-months-late, absolute slog to get to this point, double-sized collection #20. Fuckin' Iemitsu. 199 MP3s.

Collection 18: The second part of the Golden City Factory collection finishes it off, the next collection will resume with the next artists following GCF. This torrent has some less than stellar pieces, but overall plenty of good techno and a surprising amount of slower paced stuff is included. Bugbeard, one of the artists involved, has both frantic techno and slow jazzy works. There's a few, in particular one by "Lucy a.k.a. Ky" that are pretty beep boopy and disjointed, but even those can be good when done right, and this is a good example. It doesn't stick to it but changes rapidly and is better for it. Bugbeard also did a Nuclear Fusion track, embedded below, that I REALLY enjoyed. It surprised me because I am of the opinion that it is next to impossible to pull off a "slow" Nuclear Fusion, but he made a...well, the best way I'd describe it is as a "jaunty stroll" version, and he does the same thing with Emotional Skyscraper which works pretty well. There's some excellent piano versions of tracks included too. Guri has next to no presence in this collection as I specifically did most of their stuff in the first one.

Collection 18: Golden City Factory dominates this one. In fact, there's so much GCF, I had to split it into two parts just for them! Techno and synth are the name of the game, and Guri is my favorite of the group. They are definitely a love or hate group, so just know that going in. But there's some interesting tracks they've put out and some of them are among my favorites of ALL Touhou remixes, such as Guri ~ Evening Star.

Part 15: An average collection. About the only remarkable stuff in here is Gatling Cat(because their name owns), Girl's Short Hair for having drat good male vocals, and Ginrei who do some decent synth swing. There was a colossal amount of crap aside from this, so if you think this stuff is bad, just imagine what got thrown out! Also why I wanted to start the next collection off with Golden City Factory, because I love their stuff.

Collection 14: Free-Logic is more buzzy techno. Fromadistance is very Japanese-style, lots of Japanese instruments, what sounds like Taiko Drums and those little Japanese string instruments, and often lots of whooshing and whistling sounds. FromCSZ is techno/metal, their Crystal Blossom track is a classic. There is a LOT of FRONTIER CREATE, and duplicates of many tracks. They took a fun approach with their albums, creating the same track lists both in orchestral and metal versions(there was a third, Techno one, but they suck at techno, sadly). They are top-notch. FRONTIER RECORDS are extremely good too, spanning many genres compared to most other groups, notably the artist "Succubus", who really nails basically any genre they're given. Almost all the accompanying vocals were poo poo though, glad they included instrumentals with everything. Frontier彩, basically "The Touhouvania Music Dudes", have some of the best Touhou remixes out there, period. If nothing else, download the torrent for their stuff, because seriously. The best. I think I only removed one, maybe two tracks from their stuff, the vocals.

Collection 13: FALSE & TRUES I consider to be "light techno"(and all karaoke versions because the vocals are poo poo). Most everything has subdued boomtisk. Not really thumping like other stuff. FENNEL SEED is just nice, solid rock. Not spectacular, but not bad. I included the FIGHTING DREAMER track because even if you don't like it, it's still better than 99% of male vocal tracks. Five-seveN's only included track is a Nuclear Fusion one, which I rarely delete because it's so hard to gently caress up Nuclear Fusion and Emotional Skyscraper. Flap+Frog is about being as chillax as possible. Floor-6 is buzzy techno. EB-Train's Flowering Night 2006 is one of the aforementioned 1% wonderful male vocals, I believe they're the same folks who did the Eientewi song, or sound similar if a bit "lighter". Fluid Stance's stuff is atmospheric. Forest 306 is some good ol' guitarin'. Great stuff, basically a lesser Diverse System. Fourtale's stuff was largely non-Touhou, with a single track for Deep Mountain, but I liked their remixes of some particular Final Fantasy remixes(especially Kefka's final theme) that I tossed'em in. More the merrier! FOX RAVEL VS KINZOK ON's single inclusion is a doozy, a seven minute piece of frantic techno. And finally, the fucker who wound up having almost 400 MP3s in its album folder, [Fragile Online]. Again, a bunch of non-Touhou, but hopefully you'll forgive their inclusion since it's some great Earthbound stuff(8 Melodies, New Age Retro Hippie) and I think even Adventure Island is there. Their stuff is all over the place, fast, slow, classical, techno, a bunch of different genres of music. Good stuff.

Description for Collection 12:
Included are 93 files, with a ton of FactoryNoise & AG, when I started into their stuff I thought were outstanding, but by the end of it only some of their tracks are really top-notch, as they're made up of a lot of artists. But it's still mostly good to great quality. Also has a group called Fall Village, who will be a love/hate thing for most folks, I included them so people could make their own decisions, as they're not really BAD, per-say. Included the entire "Reverie" album by Everfades, good for more classical Touhou. Half a dozen tracks by ES=s/o.k.o.G4, they are good depending on your tolerance of buzzy techno. En-Flan has some exceptionally good vocals for Touhou arranges. One or two mixes by Emroots were included in the original Touhou torrent I made years back. Specifically, Neon Sign, which was then one of my favorite Touhou remixes. E-MP is similar to ES=s/o.k.o.G4 in the buzzy department. I think I covered just about everything included, enjoy!

Description for Collection 11:
Included in this collection is a shitload of EastNewSound, which are outstanding trance/techno but I suspect some folks might not like them, as well as Einherjar Records who are also excellent. This is almost entirely trance and techno, however there's some non-techno in here, like some of Ego☆Trip's stuff. The collection hit 99 just as I finished Elemental Records's albums so I threw in an 8-bit version of Kero Destiny and "The Hydrogen Bomb", one of my favorite Nuclear Fusion remixes as padding to tip it over to 101 MP3s. Enjoy!

Description for Collection 10:
Collection 10. A normal sampling this time. 74 mp3s in this one. Example of some of stuff included:

Description for Collection 9:
This contains nearly all of Diverse System's stuff, barring a commentary track and an mp3 or two that are boomtisk with chipmunk DJ voice clips that I hate so very much. Other than those, everything DS makes is top notch, two entire albums are left untouched in this torrent. Also features the excellent Demetori, of whom I didn't delete a single track. I think I like Demetori more than I like CROW'S CLAW.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 30, 2018

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ElMaligno posted:

It was apparently announced here or at least that was the vast majority of people link to, as I don't understand a lick of japanese.
Yeah, that's definitely what it says. None of those tweets are directly from him though, but I guess he said it in that video closest to the bottom. I don't have time to watch the whole thing though, gotta go to work soon.

Also Touhou on Hachima's blog is always interesting because though he seems to like it, most of his readers (who are 2ch Games Industry and Hardware "GeHa" board people, not doujin game people) either know nothing about it or hate it.

In summary, Yamame is everyone's idol.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 25, 2013

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Could someone please explain all the drama surrounding the wiki vs. wikia split?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Just read the about page on the touhou wikia.

quote:

The original Touhou Wiki was hosted by Pooshlmer on a different website, but due to hosting issues and growing pains, decided to move their content to the Wikia network. The website grew while on the Wikia network, but due to changes with the skins provided by Wikia, a large majority of the users decided to leave the Wikia network. The feeling was that Wikia should close this page, owing to the fact that some the content was not created on the network, and let the new Wiki continue forward. However, under the Wiki Creative commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, a right was given to Wikia to keep this content, and Wikia decided to keep this Wiki open despite the exodus of most of its editors.
Now, while it can be argued that Wikia should or should not have kept this wiki open, the fact of the matter is they decided to. Some people did not like this, and a few individuals decided to vandalize the Wikia page with shock images, spam, page blanking, and other actions. Although some of the worst vandalism was cleaned up by ex-contributors and Wikia staff, the majority of the website remained in poor condition.

The (not at this time) current administrators decided to restore this wiki and remove the vandalism from the pages. From there, we will be doing our best to keep this page updated as much as possible.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Any Lunatic LP's of the Touhou games that don't skip the dialogue? I know its mostly fluff that barely characterizes anyone beyond one or two quirks for fanon to latch onto with their talons but c'mon, I figure there's gotta be something content wise to it to make it worth reading.

Because I'm bad at the games and can't watch the dialogue myself even on Easy :shobon:

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Any Lunatic LP's of the Touhou games that don't skip the dialogue? I know its mostly fluff that barely characterizes anyone beyond one or two quirks for fanon to latch onto with their talons but c'mon, I figure there's gotta be something content wise to it to make it worth reading.

Because I'm bad at the games and can't watch the dialogue myself even on Easy :shobon:
Right now Tsym is running an LP of games 10-13, with text posts to show off all the different dialogue.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Raenir Salazar posted:

All the dialogue is on the wiki (with the exception of the endings, which I would imagine the LPs cut out anyways).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Copycat Zero posted:

All the dialogue is on the wiki (with the exception of the endings, which I would imagine the LPs cut out anyways).

Huh? No, so far the LPs have included the endings.

That's sort of the denouement of any LP. I wouldn't think of any reason why the ending would be excluded except if the poster had a stroke right before the last update.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Raenir Salazar posted:

There are like three on these very forums, Zorak's runs of 1 through 6, Rising Grandpa did 6-9 (but needs archives), and Tsym is doing 10 onward in that thread Arujei linked.

If you truly are super-bad at the games, and just want to read the dialog, there's always the half-speed option, though I think 10 onward took it out.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

SirPhoebos posted:

Huh? No, so far the LPs have included the endings.

That's sort of the denouement of any LP. I wouldn't think of any reason why the ending would be excluded except if the poster had a stroke right before the last update.

There's a semi-formal rule among the Japanese Touhou fanbase: post as much gameplay footage as you like, but never post or seek out footage of the endings. So for anyone who knows an ending, you know they earned that poo poo. Or something. This was the reason for all the jokey censored ending footage in the last thread. Someone shout at me if I'm misrepresenting poo poo.

In the meanwhile I really wish Zun's visit to the USA would bring him anywhere even sort of close to where I lived rather than way off in Atlanta. :sigh:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

There are like three on these very forums,

He specified Lunatic, and Tsym's is the only one at that difficulty.

For EoSD through IN, you can just set your lives to max and play on Easy. For MoF you can just spam bombs like crazy. And for SA through TD... I don't know, get autobomb patches?

And if you are really, absolutely, completely horrible and can't win even with all of that, get Cheat Engine and give yourself max lives and 200 Power.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Falls Down Stairs posted:

In the meanwhile I really wish Zun's visit to the USA would bring him anywhere even sort of close to where I lived rather than way off in Atlanta. :sigh:

It's absolutely terrible that he decided to visit Atlanta the year that I finally move away from there. Hopefully he'll visit more places as part of his trip or maybe even next year.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I wonder what he's going to say? Up until now, hasn't he regarded the entire outside world as merely an amusing novelty?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ElMaligno posted:

2. No Yukurri, they are downright creepy.

Yukurris own, gently caress the haters.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wonder what he's going to say? Up until now, hasn't he regarded the entire outside world as merely an amusing novelty?

"Please pay for my games", guessing by how most touhou fans operate.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Namtab posted:

"Please pay for my games", guessing by how most touhou fans operate.
Well, he also deliberately rejects the main way that people buy PC games in the West right now, by digital distro. Maybe he can meet halfway on this?

edit: whether he wants it to or not, the question is gonna come up many, many times in Atlanta I think.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

There's a semi-formal rule among the Japanese Touhou fanbase: post as much gameplay footage as you like, but never post or seek out footage of the endings. So for anyone who knows an ending, you know they earned that poo poo. Or something. This was the reason for all the jokey censored ending footage in the last thread. Someone shout at me if I'm misrepresenting poo poo.

To elaborate on this, it is a request of ZUN's that nobody post the endings, presumably because of the whole aforementioned "earned it" thing.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Thing is though, if Touhou games were on steam I'd be buying them. Kerbal Space Program (oi, paging Dr. Sunshine.) was put on steam recently and it shot through the charts so I would imagine given the vast playerbase of western Touhou fans it'd work incredibly well.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Didn't know that.

Regardless, that rule? Totally ignored on the LP forums. Not even mentioned.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The only ending worth earning is Youmu's bonus ending in Ten Desires, anyway.

But anyway, apparently ZUN's afterword in one of the artbooks talks about how LPs, or whatever the closest Japanese equivalent was at the time, is the death of gamer culture or something. I know Zorak made a post about that in Rising Grandpa's old thread, but I don't got archives so I can't dig it up right now.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Falken posted:

Thing is though, if Touhou games were on steam I'd be buying them. Kerbal Space Program (oi, paging Dr. Sunshine.) was put on steam recently and it shot through the charts so I would imagine given the vast playerbase of western Touhou fans it'd work incredibly well.

I know I promised. :blush: Stupidly enough, it's because I started playing Kerbal Space Program again to get inspiration and ended up getting sucked into it, haha!

But you know, isn't it because of some kind of licensing or copyright issue that ZUN doesn't want to sell his game on Steam? I heard that somewhere back in one of the older threads the last time the issue came up.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

a cartoon duck posted:

But anyway, apparently ZUN's afterword in one of the artbooks talks about how LPs, or whatever the closest Japanese equivalent was at the time, is the death of gamer culture or something. I know Zorak made a post about that in Rising Grandpa's old thread, but I don't got archives so I can't dig it up right now.
There was a recent interview where he spoke more favorably on such videos, but then again, it was Nicovideo running the interview so I guess he wanted to be a little more positive.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

I know I promised. :blush: Stupidly enough, it's because I started playing Kerbal Space Program again to get inspiration and ended up getting sucked into it, haha!

But you know, isn't it because of some kind of licensing or copyright issue that ZUN doesn't want to sell his game on Steam? I heard that somewhere back in one of the older threads the last time the issue came up.
Just stick Marisa, Aya and Sakuya in pressure suits. Possibly walking away from a burning wreck.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It seems to be Marisa day on Pixiv or something. This picture by Neko is pretty sweet.

Also I want to find more pictures of touhous with their silly hats converted into normal hats while still maintaining that color scheme and such.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Marisa is clearly hiding that Truck from the police so she can sell the goods later on.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you're one of them peoples who downloads the music collections, I've added Collection 21 as well as The Booby Prize Folder, a special collection that began when I first started this, that has the worst, weirdest, or just not fitting with the main collections stuff. Mostly worst and weirdest though.

COLLECTION 21!
IOSYS and others. Better description later.

Download torrent81 (90 files; 575.05 MB)
View torrent stats

THE BOOBY PRIZE FOLDER!
The worst, weirdest, or just stuff I didn't think "fit" in with the rest. Mostly worst/weirdest though.

Download torrent81 (107 files; 621.94 MB)
View torrent stats

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
So, with a new thread, any news on the Fantasy Maiden Wars 2 OST? I've been trying to find anything on it, but my google-fu is apparently very weak.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's been out for two months now. Even had a post dedicated to it in the FMW1 LP.

EDIT: Man, you were one of the like six guys who actually followed my thread too. :negative:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 27, 2013

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Raenir Salazar posted:

Dialogue's on the wiki; just read it there. There are places that break ZUN's ending rule too, if you know where to look.

Or just grind like a motherfucker until you get good enough to "earn" it. It's an incentive! :v:

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Source is "Tohopunk"

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

MadRhetoric posted:

Dialogue's on the wiki; just read it there. There are places that break ZUN's ending rule too, if you know where to look.

Or just grind like a motherfucker until you get good enough to "earn" it. It's an incentive! :v:

Then be pissed because most Touhou games just give you a bad ending for playing on Easy and/or using continues and proceed to grind even harder on Normal. Bonus points if you're trying to finish EoSD first and find out its lovely surprise to you for playing on Easy.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

a cartoon duck posted:

Then be pissed because most Touhou games just give you a bad ending for playing on Easy and/or using continues and proceed to grind even harder on Normal. Bonus points if you're trying to finish EoSD first and find out its lovely surprise to you for playing on Easy.

Haha, gently caress ESoD Easy. gently caress it so much.

But baby steps, right? Right? :smith:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

a cartoon duck posted:

Who actually plays on Easy, though. Like, for real.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A number of the people in this thread for one.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I only play easy. I haven't yet beaten stage 4 on a Touhou game on normal, even with all the continues in the world. Easy is my normal.

edit: wait I take that back, just once I beat Aya on normal and got immediately clobbered on stage 5.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 28, 2013

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Dorroile posted:

Who actually plays on Easy, though. Like, for real.

Yo. -only player here. I play through each once and continuebomb like crazy.

I think I 1cc'd IN and SA on Normal back in the day, that's about it though.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I have beaten a handfull of Touhou games on easy.
I have beaten TH10 on normal with Marisa B, but that's like super duper easy mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Falken posted:

Marisa is clearly hiding that Truck from the police so she can sell the goods later on.
She wants to hide the truck so she can keep Mew for herself.