Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Someone's compiled an image of all the current character sightings in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Apparently someone dug up and posted the roster back in January from the original demo, with all the characters we know of so far plus one more (Mamizou). I can't find the post but I've seen this passed along in several places and was wondering if anyone had heard more about it?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hokuto posted:

Someone's compiled an image of all the current character sightings in the game.

Weird that we haven't even SEEN Aya. This is the sort of thing she'd be sticking her nose into without question.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
This roster is the best and every reveal has owned. Alphes is also cool and I don't care how janky his art is because Remilia's portrait in SWR/Hisoutensoku was the best.

KataraniSword posted:

Weird that we haven't even SEEN Aya. This is the sort of thing she'd be sticking her nose into without question.

The compilation has her right there next to Sanae where she should be, she's mostly obscured but that looks like her geta and she's posed to take pictures.

fuepi fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 21, 2013

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Isn't Koishi supposed to be incredibly hard to take notice of? How would that play off the popularity mechanic?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dinky Duck Race posted:

The compilation has her right there next to Sanae where she should be, she's mostly obscured but that looks like her geta and she's posed to take pictures.

Oh, so it does. It's Momiji that's a giant blank spot, my mistake.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Schwarzwald posted:

Isn't Koishi supposed to be incredibly hard to take notice of? How would that play off the popularity mechanic?

Maybe it's like when someone gets so stupidly drunk they start arguing with them self and the people around them start taking sides in the argument for the absurdity of it or because they're all so completely plastered.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Schwarzwald posted:

You just don't notice Koishi until she interacts with you. If she was in a fight, everybody would notice.

Also kids like her.

Holy crap, somebody acknowledged Medicine exists.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

She apparently only appears if she finds you interesting (or, if you believe Akyuu, are a child/weirdo like her, because :downs:).

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Alice hasn't shown up yet. Obviously that means she's going to show up in the background of a Makai level, because Shinki will be a playable character. Also while we're at it, Rin Satsuki will be there too. Also Zun will show up at my doorstep and give me a free copy of Hopeless Masqurade and the full version of Double Dealing character.

Since we got mad at being spammed with every individual Finnish 4Koma, they haven't been posted at all. I know a lot of you liked them, so here a are few of the most recent ones in a single package (standard Danbooru warning):

Drunk Onis
Koakuma
Sakuya returns as a playable character
Miko's new cape

And for the rest of you, have something I found:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Since we got mad at being spammed with every individual Finnish 4Koma,

It was Blitz who gave Joseph that red text, just ignore him. Blitz is the spergiest motherfucker around about these kinds of things.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Honestly debating getting that last panel as my avatar now. Holy poo poo that's a great face.
Edit:

Friar John fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 21, 2013

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Why is she riding an ATV? What does she have to connect her with bikes?

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's probably from the 2chan Touhou board's undying megathread dedicated to making lovely photoshops with the hopes that something goes memetic.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Artificer posted:

It's based off one of Ichirin's sprites from Hopeless Masquerade (Danbooru link).

Dinky Duck Race posted:

It's probably from the 2chan Touhou board's undying megathread dedicated to making lovely photoshops with the hopes that something goes memetic.

Well I thought it was funny. :colbert:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Artificer posted:

Sorry dude but this ain't an ATV

Its a a Brudeli motorcycle/trike the Leanster654L. Its based on a KTM 690 SM.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Volt Catfish posted:

It was Blitz who gave Joseph that red text, just ignore him. Blitz is the spergiest motherfucker around about these kinds of things.

Yeah, I miss the updates; having to manually check for new things sucks.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I like Miko's cape-it looks like Nobunaga's from the SW series. Maybe she's going to talk in third person? :shobon:

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Alice hasn't shown up yet. Obviously that means she's going to show up in the background of a Makai level, because Shinki will be a playable character. Also while we're at it, Rin Satsuki will be there too. Also Zun will show up at my doorstep and give me a free copy of Hopeless Masqurade and the full version of Double Dealing character.

This will, of course, mean more lovely jokes by unfunny comic artists about why Alice sucks, like the lovely jokes about Sakuya last year.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

JackMackerel posted:

This will, of course, mean more lovely jokes by unfunny comic artists about why Alice sucks, like the lovely jokes about Sakuya last year.

lovely jokes comprise the bulk of Touhou dialog, Touhou fandom, and Japanese humor. They are the lifeblood of weird Japanese entertainment.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

SirPhoebos posted:

I like Miko's cape-it looks like Nobunaga's from the SW series. Maybe she's going to talk in third person? :shobon:

I love Miko's cape too. She looks hilarious and kind of cool.
Also, Koishi? Really? Well, I'd say I was disappointed with the cast not including Utsuho or Kanako, but I'd be a gigantic liar. I wanna see how Koishi's mechanics actually work, though. Sounds gimmicky.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I hope for Flandre to be in and just like "gently caress the sun! Let it slowly chip away all my hp in 30 seconds while I bomb the stage to pieces." :black101:

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

MadRhetoric posted:

lovely jokes comprise the bulk of Touhou dialog, Touhou fandom, and Japanese humor. They are the lifeblood of weird Japanese entertainment.

Touhou dialogue doesn't regurgitate the same tired poo poo about how much of a loser Alice/Sakuya is. :colbert:

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012

HGH posted:

Apparently someone dug up and posted the roster back in January from the original demo, with all the characters we know of so far plus one more (Mamizou). I can't find the post but I've seen this passed along in several places and was wondering if anyone had heard more about it?

I guess I can confirm this, now that Tasofro's had their trolling fun.

Who knows about that spoilered character, though. We know there's at least one more character in the game, the box art's been on display for a while and the silhouette on it doesn't match any of the revealed cast at all. It could be the spoiler character with a design makeover. Or it could be a new character, and the spoiler was either cut in development, or (more likely) is the Iku of this game and they just didn't want to reveal her on the site for plot reasons. That would sort the characters neatly into five factions of two: Human, Buddhist, Taoist, Youkai, and Spoilery Hopeless Masqueraders.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ranpire posted:

I guess I can confirm this, now that Tasofro's had their trolling fun.

Who knows about that spoilered character, though. We know there's at least one more character in the game, the box art's been on display for a while and the silhouette on it doesn't match any of the revealed cast at all. It could be the spoiler character with a design makeover. Or it could be a new character, and the spoiler was either cut in development, or (more likely) is the Iku of this game and they just didn't want to reveal her on the site for plot reasons. That would sort the characters neatly into five factions of two: Human, Buddhist, Taoist, Youkai, and Spoilery Hopeless Masqueraders.

Apparently a freelance animator did some work on the sprites for a returning character and tweeted about how he was eager to see her revealed on the website, but then realized that she wouldn't be revealed yet and tweeted that. And then deleted the tweets. His tweet used a speech trait associated with the spoilered character, so the third pattern is fairly close to confirmed.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Okay, I think I'm done with the Genius of Sappheiros after dealing with the revisited Forest of Magic. The respawn rate is at least double what it is everywhere else in the game, and this makes the roundabout door puzzles more infuriating than they should be. When I finally managed to scrape through to open a way to and from the entrance, it shut off another door, so I decided to close it while exploring further. Then I died, and the game autosaved without the way open, so I have to go through all of that again, with the same droves of enemies that won't stay gone. :argh: That killed my motivation dead.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Hokuto posted:

Okay, I think I'm done with the Genius of Sappheiros after dealing with the revisited Forest of Magic. The respawn rate is at least double what it is everywhere else in the game, and this makes the roundabout door puzzles more infuriating than they should be. When I finally managed to scrape through to open a way to and from the entrance, it shut off another door, so I decided to close it while exploring further. Then I died, and the game autosaved without the way open, so I have to go through all of that again, with the same droves of enemies that won't stay gone. :argh: That killed my motivation dead.

I don't mean to come off as demeaning or anything, but if you uploaded your save somewhere, I could run you through the FoM2 and just get you to the boss, if you want. I don't have the layout memorized to the extent that I can really give directions, but I've been through it like ~10 times so I at least know how to get through it fast.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
That would be fantastic. You can get my save here.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Time for lunch with some touhous.

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=manga&illust_id=35878719

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Those look really delicious. Now I'm hungry. :(

Edit: Holy poo poo the tomato Satori eye.

Kaguya looks amazingly derpy. Wonderful. :allears:

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Hokuto posted:

That would be fantastic. You can get my save here.

Sorry this took so long, I got distracted. Here you go.

I tried not to mess with your stuff or anything, but I rolled with my favorite party just to make battles as mindlessly easy as I'm used to, so it wouldn't take long. I was also trying not to fight many battles, but because I am the luckiest man alive, I wound up getting 2 equipment drops, a Hinotori Feather, and learned a skill with Satori. (Speaking of which, if you're interested there's a big long list of the skills she can learn, which I'd personally recommend since you don't have any of her really good ones).

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Is it even worth it to bother with Satori's pain in the rear end Blue Magic? Even in the party split-up sections, I don't think you're ever left with just Satori.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

Is it even worth it to bother with Satori's pain in the rear end Blue Magic? Even in the party split-up sections, I don't think you're ever left with just Satori.

Blue Magic is the best if only because of hunting down all the abilities.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

BlitzBlast posted:

The short answer is maybe.

The longer answer requires you to examine what you want out of her, as well as from the game. Satori's usefulness - as is proper for Blue Mages - is entirely dependent upon how much effort you're willing to put into her. If you're playing the Weekend version of the game, her learning rates have been massively boosted, so learning her good spells isn't that bad, depending on your tolerance for this sort of thing.

Satori has access to every element in the game, including single-targets, multi-targets, and breath attacks (which you can pair up with either MP-Draining daggers or the MP-drain ability in the Staff tree to make her very MP efficient). She also has slayer effects built into a few of her moves, both magical and physical.

She can do good damage early game with Demon Shock (which is both cheaper and more damaging than the vanilla variant Shadow Boom). Mid-late game you would ideally learn Mad Thunder from Iku, which does excellent damage. In the late game she can keep competitive with stuff like Holy, Meteor, Medoroa, Dark Giga Flare and Medullite Beam. As you head deep into the expansion content her damage does start to fall off until she achieves an 11th hour super power-up in the form of Punish the Judgement, which is the single strongest attack in the entire game.

She has heals in both single-target, area, and full-party varieties. She has access to damage-prevention tools like Reflect Wall, Leaf Shield, and Starlight Barrier (all of which are fantastic). She has status healing, a (very good) defense buff, and revival skills. She has fun status-effect attacks like Petro Breath, Enervate, Time Stop, and Mind Blast. She can deal surprisingly good physical damage with Acala Sword. She can yukkuri-farm with Hyper Fang Crush or Shredder.

Basically, Satori is amazing, if you can put up with learning all the skills she brings to the table. The only reason why I'd say Sakuya is a better character than her is because Private Square is OP as gently caress.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I think Nezumi's rice was baked instead of steamed.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

That's pretty awesome, but what the hell is that freaky dark blue goop in the Cirno one?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dorroile posted:

That's pretty awesome, but what the hell is that freaky dark blue goop in the Cirno one?

Chances are it's some sort of blueberry desert of sorts, at least judging by the color.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Golden Battler posted:

Sorry this took so long, I got distracted. Here you go.

Thank you so much for this, and for the Satori link! This will make my life a lot easier.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Hokuto posted:

Thank you so much for this, and for the Satori link! This will make my life a lot easier.

No biggy. The wiki actually has quite a bit of useful info, including every chest in the game, plus images for the Orichalcon and Adamantite Shards (which you've completely missed, not that I blame you).

As a corollary to the above, I got bored an decided to beat the expansion's final boss using only one party, when you are normally entitled three.

So yeah, here's a thing, if you're bored and have 15 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
So I thought I'd try out Genius of Sappheiros, but the English translation pack I downloaded seems to just straight up break the game. I have the base 3.0, and the translation said I need 3.1, but I can't find any patch for that. Am I just doing something wrong?